• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm on day 17 - Galway to Santiago de Compostella

alongcamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Galway, Ireland to Santiago de Compostela
Hello pilgrims,

For me it's day 17, having set out from Galway across Ireland and Wales, now moving into the south of England.

This is me on twitter

I'll reach France at St. Malo on Sunday, and have my first night booked in Dinan.

Two questions:

1. Where should I head from Dinan to join a classic camino path?
2. Which general route is recommended given 45 days from Dinan to Santiago, or is that crazy talk?

Thanks in advance for suggestions,
Rob Fuller

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You'll surely hear from experts soon, but just looking at some maps, it seems a bit far to travel from Dinan to Santiago on foot in that short a time.

Unless you want to go first west then east again, you might want to find paths that take you south to Bordeaux, and then join the Way there. But, again, at only 45 days....

I'll reach France at St. Malo on Sunday, and have my first night booked in Dinan.

Two questions:

Youl'll already be on the Voie des Capitales.

IMG_3315.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Useful info on camino in Brittany

And though in reverse info on Chemin Mont St Michel- the French version of website has more info including hebergement/accomodation

The Capitales route leads to Saintes and onto Tours route (or there is also Voie Littoral down the coast to Bayonne)

45 days would be tough going though!
I've a route planned from Ireland which I will be doing in stages (did Irish leg in 2021, Normandy/Brittany in 2022, and onwards)

having set out from Galway across Ireland and Wales, now moving into the south of England.
2. Which general route is recommended given 45 days from Dinan to Santiago, or is that crazy talk?
Wow, exciting! I just love these from home to Santiago projects. You've already been given advice. I don't know about ready-made trails in this part of France. I made my own trail through northern France but from a different starting point than yours.

Plugging Dinan to Santiago into Viamichelin.fr gives me 1400 km if you follow the Camino del Norte along the Spanish coast and 1600 km if you follow the Camino de Santiago / Camino Frances, the most traditional way for pilgrims from north of the Pyrenees. That is the distance on fast roads for cars and walking it will be longer. So on average more than 31 or 35 km daily ...!

Merely looking at the map, my own preference would be Dinan-Rennes-Angers-Poitiers and the Voie de Tours from there but Rennes-Nantes and then joining it in Saint-Jean-d'Angely or Saintes is probably several days shorter.

Anyway, you must already have a rough plan?

Last edited:
I wonder if you have read anything of @The_Pilgrim in his Camino from Co Laois? He walked to Dublin, ferry and then down through Wales, England, and is now in France, heading for the Norte. He is posting on youtube and FB, which I know nothing of, but he is also posting here sometimes. He might have something to share with you... I am sorry I have nothing at all to say that would be helpful, except: Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Saint Malo and Dinan are two of my favorite spots in Brittany, but I have only walked on the coast there. Apparently, you can follow a marked path - the Voie de Dinan - from Dinan to Saint Médard sur Ille and then you're on the Voie des Capitales.

45 days looks like >30km per day with no breaks. I think you need to be an elite athlete or willing to use some alternative transportation for some stages if you want to reach Santiago in that time. Perhaps you should cycle through France or take public transport from, say, Bordeaux to Dax.

BTW - Depending on what time you start from St. Malo, you might want to take the ferry across the Rance estuary to Dinard. By doing that, I think you avoid some ugly suburbs and shave off a couple of km. You could also take a boat all the way up the Rance to Dinan ... but since you've already booked a night in Dinan, that might not be your choice:

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: @alongcamino, I had a look at your Twitter feed and your photos. I think you might like the way from Poitiers through Melle and Aulnay to Saintes. OK, you will see similar things later on in Spain but for me it was very special. ☺️

I see that you do walk long distances per day. Just one more thing: I found the Iphigenie app excellent for France. It clearly shows walking trails.

Last edited:
@alongcamino, I should have looked at your Twitter feed before I blathered on earlier. Of course you have a plan and it is subject to change, as you wrote. You walked 51 km in one day as your new personal best!!! And you tweeted about Eannom aka @The_Pilgrim, also from Ireland and also on the way to Santiago and that he is about 10 days ahead of you on a different route. I think all I can say is: "bon chemin" and "bonne continuation!" 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello pilgrims,

For me it's day 17, having set out from Galway across Ireland and Wales, now moving into the south of England.

This is me on twitter

Two questions:

Rob Fuller
Mont St. Michel is fantastic and close to Dinan. That said walking from there to Santiago in 45 days is a bit of a challenge. I did it in 55 days. I started a Camino from County Clare in 2018 after 35 days walking in Ireland, ferried from Dublin to Cherbourg walking to Mont St. Michel near Dinan. I left MSM 1 July arriving 55 days later in Santiago, averaging over 30k per day. Here is a photo of the route south throu France where I connected with The Camino Tours from Paris in St. Jean d’Angely. This was the most direct route as I had time constraints as well.

098FCF5C-7814-48E5-AC51-275878ED3A1E.png

Last edited:
Hello pilgrims,

This is me on twitter

Two questions:

Rob Fuller
I really do take my hat off to you. “Chapeau,” as they say in France. What an incredible journey and what an incredible will to embark on it. I truly wish you the very best of Buen Caminos.

Hello pilgrims,

This is me on twitter

Two questions:

Rob Fuller
Hi from Galway! You should visit Mont Saint Michel
Hello pilgrims,

This is me on twitter

Two questions:

Rob Fuller
Hi from Galway!
Well done. You should visit Mont Saint-Michel. It is close to where you are.
Some great routes on your way south. Lots of beautiful Camino tracks, towns and villages.
Buen Camino 😉

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mont St. Michel is fantastic and close to Dinan. That said walking from there to Santiago in 45 days is a bit of a challenge. I did it in 55 days. I started a Camino from County Clare in 2018 after 35 days walking in Ireland, ferried from Dublin to Cherbourg walking to Mont St. Michel near Dinan. I left MSM 1 July arriving 55 days later in Santiago, averaging over 30k per day. Here is a photo of the route south throu France where I connected with The Camino Tours from Paris in St. Jean d’Angely. This was the most direct route as I had time constraints as well.

View attachment 124954
Brilliant, wow that was some adventure!

Hi from Galway! You should visit Mont Saint Michel

Hi from Galway!
Well done. You should visit Mont Saint-Michel. It is close to where you are.
Some great routes on your way south. Lots of beautiful Camino tracks, towns and villages.
Buen Camino 😉
Thanks... I'm now saving Mont Saint-Michel for when I can spend more time there, looks brilliant!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PS: @alongcamino, I had a look at your Twitter feed and your photos. I think you might like the way from Poitiers through Melle and Aulnay to Saintes. OK, you will see similar things later on in Spain but for me it was very special. ☺️

I see that you do walk long distances per day. Just one more thing: I found the Iphigenie app excellent for France. It clearly shows walking trails.
Thanks I'll check out the Iphigenie app. Thanks again.

I wonder if you have read anything of @The_Pilgrim in his Camino from Co Laois? He walked to Dublin, ferry and then down through Wales, England, and is now in France, heading for the Norte. He is posting on youtube and FB, which I know nothing of, but he is also posting here sometimes. He might have something to share with you... I am sorry I have nothing at all to say that would be helpful, except: Buen camino!
Thanks connected to pilgrim1 on twitter a short while back. Thanks again.

Youl'll already be on the Voie des Capitales.

View attachment 124931
Wow! Thanks, what publication is that?

I had yesterday booked a few more beds, so my first four nights in France are lining up for me to get on this route...

Next week:

Sunday Dinan
Monday Iffendic
Tuesday Saint-Malo-de-Phily
Wednesday Blain

Yes long walking days... the airbnb hosts I'm finding in France like 18:00 earliest checkin...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Useful info on camino in Brittany

And though in reverse info on Chemin Mont St Michel- the French version of website has more info including hebergement/accomodation

The Capitales route leads to Saintes and onto Tours route (or there is also Voie Littoral down the coast to Bayonne)

45 days would be tough going though!
I've a route planned from Ireland which I will be doing in stages (did Irish leg in 2021, Normandy/Brittany in 2022, and onwards)
Thanks Katherine!

the airbnb hosts I'm finding in France like 18:00 earliest checkin...
I have had good experiences with Airbnb in France - some memorable meals with friendly hosts.

In addition to Airbnb, there are some homes that offer specifically to accommodate pilgrims. You can find lists of these pilgrim hosts through the local Camino associations. For example, the Brittany association publishes the telephone numbers or contact details of such hosts on its website (See the two sections for the Voie des Capitales on the page below). You will need to speak some French to make arrangements with these hosts, which might seem challenging, depending on your fluency in French. But you may find these places particularly hospitable.

Wow! Thanks, what publication is that?

I had yesterday booked a few more beds, so my first four nights in France are lining up for me to get on this route...

Next week:

Sunday Dinan
Monday Iffendic
Tuesday Saint-Malo-de-Phily
Wednesday Blain

Yes long walking days... the airbnb hosts I'm finding in France like 18:00 earliest checkin...
From Blain there are two route options - along the canal or there is an old railway which is 30km to Chapelle sur Erdre as it is much more direct- Its off N171 just west of Blain

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Katherine!
It was actually @roving_rufus who had provided the info about Ways in Brittany but I'm sure he understood. And judging by his most recent info, I think you have found the ideal virtual companion in him, at least for this part of your way through France. 😊

PS: Just saw on your Twitter feed that you are in Avebury and saw the photo ... what a walk you are having!!!

PPS: Great photo with Avebury's famous standing stones as well as its Saxon-Norman church in it, and the church is even dedicated to St James. :)

Last edited:
Hello pilgrims,

This is me on twitter

Two questions:

Rob Fuller
Wow you are having an adventure 😉. I'm heading to galway in Sept with the family. Which route did you take to cross Ireland.? The camino Norte took me 40 days and is full of splendid views great food and wonderful people. Enjoy your epic journey. Your amazing!

I have had good experiences with Airbnb in France - some memorable meals with friendly hosts.

In addition to Airbnb, there are some homes that offer specifically to accommodate pilgrims. You can find lists of these pilgrim hosts through the local Camino associations. For example, the Brittany association publishes the telephone numbers or contact details of such hosts on its website (See the two sections for the Voie des Capitales on the page below). You will need to speak some French to make arrangements with these hosts, which might seem challenging, depending on your fluency in French. But you may find these places particularly hospitable.

Thanks, I may try that!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow you are having an adventure 😉. I'm heading to galway in Sept with the family. Which route did you take to cross Ireland.? The camino Norte took me 40 days and is full of splendid views great food and wonderful people. Enjoy your epic journey. Your amazing!
I wouldn't recommend the route I took across Ireland but roughly it was:
Galway, Loughrea, Eyrecourt, Blue Ball, Edenderry, Lucan, Dublin

My twitter feed has more detail if you scroll back there are two or three photos each day of places I passed, mostly churches.

Really I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do what I'm doing because maybe 15% of the time I'm walking up roads with no footpaths and lorries flying towards me.

It was actually @roving_rufus who had provided the info about Ways in Brittany but I'm sure he understood. And judging by his most recent info, I think you have found the ideal virtual companion in him, at least for this part of your way through France. 😊

PS: Just saw on your Twitter feed that you are in Avebury and saw the photo ... what a walk you are having!!!

PPS: Great photo with Avebury's famous standing stones as well as its Saxon-Norman church in it, and the church is even dedicated to St James. :)
I was too early passing to call down to the church!

This website gives details of local camino associations in France, many have great websites with route details and possible accommodation

After Brittany, the Vendee website is useful with a great list of pilgrim hosts and gps for route

Heading for Saintes is then a decision for the more travelled Tours route, or the coastal Littoral Route

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, exciting! I just love these from home to Santiago projects. You've already been given advice. I don't know about ready-made trails in this part of France. I made my own trail through northern France but from a different starting point than yours.

Plugging Dinan to Santiago into Viamichelin.fr gives me 1400 km if you follow the Camino del Norte along the Spanish coast and 1600 km if you follow the Camino de Santiago / Camino Frances, the most traditional way for pilgrims from north of the Pyrenees. That is the distance on fast roads for cars and walking it will be longer. So on average more than 31 or 35 km daily ...!

Merely looking at the map, my own preference would be Dinan-Rennes-Angers-Poitiers and the Voie de Tours from there but Rennes-Nantes and then joining it in Saint-Jean-d'Angely or Saintes is probably several days shorter.

Thanks for that. The plan was pretty rough, but filling it in now booking accommodation through to Nantes, and towards Saint-Jean-d'Angely. Thanks again. Rob.

This website gives details of local camino associations in France, many have great websites with route details and possible accommodation

After Brittany, the Vendee website is useful with a great list of pilgrim hosts and gps for route

Heading for Saintes is then a decision for the more travelled Tours route, or the coastal Littoral Route
Thanks again, this has been most useful.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.