• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm optimistic, but is this just silly...

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
First time post here. I'm hoping to do the Camino Francés in 2015, but am a little concerned. I have five children, who will be from the ages of 3-16, with one of my children being fairly high functioning, but on the autism spectrum. I know when things get tough he will explode, but he is also developing beautifully. He doesn't 'look' special needs, so we have come across some uncomfortable judgement at his behaviour from time to time. What advice would people have for our family (there would be nine of us we hope) regarding doing the walk with a very young one (are prams or hiking chariots possible?) and my son with special needs (he'll be twelve)? How understanding are the albergues for people who are a little different? (I know we all are 'different'). One thing we are thinking is giving ourselves two months for the walk, with the possibility of another month if we need it. We will also do plenty of preparation before leaving in terms of seeing how they go walking longer distances. Thank you for any ideas!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will encounter a lot of language and culture differences, so it might be difficult to make a general characterization of what reactions will be. You have experienced a lot of variations I am sure, so expect at least as many on the Camino. It is a friendly crowd that is often stressed by physical demands. That stress may result in some negative reactions. The environment is often crowded, so maintaining personal space is difficult for everyone. You might do best to stay in hostales and hoteles rather than albergues.

I have seen a few families walking the Camino with their kids. It has to be a fantastic experience for all but at times there might be some hard moments.

The families I did come across all stayed in private accommodations like "hostales" and hotels.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sounds challenging!

I second the others who have suggested getting private accommodations. I think staying in dormitories with small children and children with special needs would be stressful both for the children and the other pilgrims in the dorm. It sounds like you have the time to keep your schedule flexible, which will be a plus so you can take rest days as necessary.

I have seen a few people using all terrain strollers or baby chariots on the camino. I think the terrain would be suitable.

I work part of every summer at a sleep away summer camp. I would suggest prior to your Camino trying to send the children old enough to camp to see how they fare. This is a great intro to communal sleeping, living according to a schedule you don't control, eating less familiar foods and being constantly busy. Buen Camino

Five kids ages 3-16, including a special needs walking the Camino and staying at Albergues need some serious consideration indeed. This is not only about the impact on you and family, but on others at the Albergue who will become your immediate company. I would only do it if the ratio of adult to child was AT A MINIMUM 2:1 and one adult just for the child with special needs.

I suggest you rent a casa rural for one week along the Camino and do a section every day, getting transportation to the beggining/end point. This will allow you to do the Camino with whoever wants to participate and an adult can stay back with anybody who wants to skip the day. This will also be a familiar "oasis" for all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With respect to all previous posters, I am going to disagree. With conditions.

This time last year we were walking from Astorga to Santiago with eight children ranging in age from 6 to 18. With the exception of one night, we stayed in albergues......and even though I may be biased I would say the children were on many occasions the most respectful people of others in the room. Now I understand a 3 year old is different to a 6 year old. BUT.....five years ago we embarked on an overland Singapore to Istanbul trip and spent a lot of time in hostels - with a two year old. At that stage she had been sleeping through the night for 18 months and she never caused trouble for anyone (if anything she was the celebrity!) You know your children. You are the one who will know if they will disturb others (and if they will, then take the advice offered by others - but if they are respectful, then I would not hesitate using albergues....in fact our night in a pension was our least favourite - we felt disconnected from all our camino friends). We only had one negative experience with a guy who thought kids shouldn't be in his 38-bed room and he was still annoying everyone else by playing beeping games on some device until midnight - long after the kids had gone to sleep!
My other comment is that if you have five, your kids already know about communal living! They know about sharing the toilet (and probably bedrooms) and not using all the hot water and having to wait while you tend to someone else's needs. Additionally, the 16 year old is an adult - count him/her as such. I'm guessing there might be a 14-ish-year-old too. Also an adult. So really you're only taking 3 kids;-) As for the special needs, again you are the only ones who know how your son will cope with different food, different routine, different environment every day.
I think it is wonderful that you are considering this - and wonderful that you so flexible with regards to timing. If you take two or even three months, you'll find you are able to do such short distances that even your three year old will be able to walk it. Start walking now (if you haven't already). Work up to 10 or 12 km -and that will be enough to get you from one accommodation to the next (and if you need to, take a taxi). My single useful piece of advice for walking with little ones is this: when they say they are tired, you allow a rest. Everyone sits down with them and they say when they are ready to go again. They don't tend to stop for long - but if they are allowed to walk along whining, it can last all day! One more - never and I mean never ever ever carry them.(of course, you have to make sure you are not expecting more than they are capable of) My husband carried my 6yo's water bladder one day on our walk and for the next three days she started the day begging that he take it as soon as we started out. We told her that daddy would carry it only after we had walked 15km! It worked (but took three days)

Thought I should just mention that against the well-meaning advice of some on this forum, I am taking four kids aged 8-13 next year....just so you know what a rebel I am and whether you can trust my advice;-)
Happy planning!

Paul:

The upside here is you have plenty of time to prepare.

I would suggest you try some weekend walks, two to three days hikes. Try camping and doing your own cooking for a week. If everyone gets along and survives a couple/several ventures. I say go for it.

Camping conditions are more difficult, imo, than the Camino. This should at least give you an idea as to how you will function as a group. I would also echo the advice of Kiwi-family.

All that said, the Camino is not a walk in the park and a three year old is pretty young. I might also suggest you start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona and avoid walking over the mountain. Even if you stop in Orisson, the walk over the mountain is 18km's with no food or refuge other than the shelter at the top.

Ultreya,
Joe

well if there are 9 walking and 5 kids one of which is 16 that should easily cover the 1:2 ratio plus the 1:1...

not sure I would count 14 and 16 as adult, in some ways yes and in some ways no, but that is a different debate, in any instance I wouldn't think it fair to put the same responsibilities on a 16 year old on vacation as on the other adults, if for nothing else because it was not their choice and they should still be allowed to be kids for when they needed, but by all means they could chip in...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Kiwi-family! And if you decide that your kids might not be ok with albergues all the time, maybe take camping gear. Yes, it's more to carry but if you've got a buggy/trailer etc for the youngest make it a little bigger and tents etc can fit in... You have plenty of hands to take turns pushing - character-building work! We have a cycle trailer that was made for two kids - we altered it to fit our 5 stone dog in - and found that the tent, mats, tools, food and water all seemed to fit in as well. It turns into a big pushchair (with brake) when you take it off the bike. Something similar might be useful to you... Two uk pilgrims I knew walked all the way to Sde C from UK with a handcart!
Whatever you decide, do it and enjoy it - you will be giving your kids a life-enhancing experience that will give them tools to live the rest of their lives by - something you may have to remind them of when they are dragging their feet and whining...!!

Thanks for all of your ideas. I really appreciate the time people put in to help refine my thinking.

We've camped on numerous occasions as a family and love it. We've also been to family camps where we don't control the schedule (the kids happily did scullery duties without being badgered, they also would stay to clean the mess hall, sweeping and so on, as well as getting involved in activities like abseiling, canoeing, ropes courses - both high and low ropes and so on). Linguistically and culturally we will be fine adjusting to difference as we speak Spanish at home. I also speak French and my eldest daughters are learning.

I've been really encouraged by the replies encouraging us to stay in the albergues. I would also agree that often the poorer behaviour isn't necessarily from the children. Our kids are tremendously respectful towards others (although not so generous towards each other!). I think the idea of preparation is really important and have taken those suggestions on board. In terms of communal living, I agree with the idea that we are already comfortable with the idea. (Beyond the sharing in our home, we are quite hospitable and have spent at least half of our kids lives hosting at least one other person with us for lots of different reasons)

I'm sympathetic to Joe's idea to start in Roncevallos, the first days with our littlun is perhaps a bigger concern of mine. I'm also torn though as I really want to walk in France too. Does anyone have a suggestion for a 3-5 day walk in France, to then have a break for a couple of days (maybe in SJPP) before heading on?

Regarding my son on the spectrum, lots of people don't notice initially, it is more evident in certain behaviours. I'm not concerned at all about his general behavior during the time, I'm just not particularly confident how he would respond to the difficulties I hear described like being riddled with bed bug bites and numerous blisters. The response to the physical demands I guess, that will only be evident once we are there. Also he has some peculiar behaviours, for example, his eldest sister told him (only once) that moths were flying spiders when he was very young, so he is now terrified of moths (we intervened but his fear stuck! Poor thing!)

How easy would it be to travel staying maybe 2-3 days in a row in albergues, then maybe 2 days in a hotel? Is availability difficult for large families? (4 adults, and 5 kids (16,14,12,8,3)).

Thank you for pointing out the idea to never carry our kids. It makes complete sense, but something I wasn't sure which way to lean.

Based on the suggestions, I think I really need to start testing the physical boundaries, such as the multiple day hikes now and how they respond.

I would be interested in how viable others think of prams/chariots are as I anticipate our baby will still need to sleep during the day for a couple of hours.

Before we went to live overseas with very young children we were given a very good piece of advice, which might help your son with the changes he will meet on the Camino.
Tell the children the story of what might happen and make them the characters in the story. This for us involved moving house (several times); travelling in the bush and getting stuck overnight because of bad tracks/rain etc; making new friends; talking different languages.............Your stories could include even bed-bugs and how to deal with them/bites (just in case) we had to deal with fleas, sand-flies and mosquitoes.
When things changed, or the 'unexpected' happened, they coped quite happily. I am sure Kiwi-family could offer you some suggestions from their family pilgrimage.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Kiwi-family! And if you decide that your kids might not be ok with albergues all the time, maybe take camping gear. Yes, it's more to carry but if you've got a buggy/trailer etc for the youngest make it a little bigger and tents etc can fit in... You have plenty of hands to take turns pushing - character-building work! We have a cycle trailer that was made for two kids - we altered it to fit our 5 stone dog in - and found that the tent, mats, tools, food and water all seemed to fit in as well. It turns into a big pushchair (with brake) when you take it off the bike. Something similar might be useful to you... Two uk pilgrims I knew walked all the way to Sde C from UK with a handcart!
Whatever you decide, do it and enjoy it - you will be giving your kids a life-enhancing experience that will give them tools to live the rest of their lives by - something you may have to remind them of when they are dragging their feet and whining...!!

Love the idea! Sounds like a great combination for flexibility if needed. I'm heartened by the encouragement.

First time post here. I'm hoping to do the Camino Francés in 2015, but am a little concerned. I have five children, who will be from the ages of 3-16, with one of my children being fairly high functioning, but on the autism spectrum. I know when things get tough he will explode, but he is also developing beautifully. He doesn't 'look' special needs, so we have come across some uncomfortable judgement at his behaviour from time to time. What advice would people have for our family (there would be nine of us we hope) regarding doing the walk with a very young one (are prams or hiking chariots possible?) and my son with special needs (he'll be twelve)? How understanding are the albergues for people who are a little different? (I know we all are 'different'). One thing we are thinking is giving ourselves two months for the walk, with the possibility of another month if we need it. We will also do plenty of preparation before leaving in terms of seeing how they go walking longer distances. Thank you for any ideas!

I have a fairly high tolerance for people who are "a little different," but I do not think it is fair to other pilgrims at albergues to expose them to a child for whom "when things get tough he will explode."

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Since you are early in your planning phase, if you want some time in France (you get about six hours on the Camino Frances), you could start in Oloron-Ste. Marie and cross the Pyrenees at the Col du Somport. From there you walk the Camino Aragones to Puente la Reina to join the CF. You will get three to five days in France in a very beautiful river valley with good accommodations. The ascent is generally gradual until you actually reach the base of the climb to Somport, which is at least as physically demanding as the Route Napoleon, but can be avoided in bad weather with a bus ride which is readily available and cheap and leaves from the mustering area for bikers and climbers going to the Col. (In a longstanding dispute, the French randonneurs association recommends NOT walking the last stretch to the base of the climb because it is along a busy highway. As a result, the bus service is maintained so that pedestrians can take a bus a few kilometers to avoid the highway. The Miam Miam Dodo guide has no such compunctions!)

I had a Pyrenees sheepdog lead me for three hours one day. I guess he couldn't take the weekend off from sheep duties...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a fairly high tolerance for people who are "a little different," but I do not think it is fair to other pilgrims at albergues to expose them to a child for whom "when things get tough he will explode."
I think that is a very fair comment. I think I overstated my feelings in my OP. I mean I fear that when things get tough he will explode/ I know when things get tough he may explode. My feelings are that I should keep the options open, as I don't know how he will respond to the rigour of the camino. I concede that you can only comment on what I say, not what I think I say!

Just keep in mind that the Camino is tough on an adult so imagine how it can be on a kid.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great !!! Yes, do it!!!!
We walked spring 2012 with 2 babies and a dog in a Croozer - it was technically perfect and loads of luggage room. See thread "camino with babies and dog " for more info. I am moved and excited to hear your plans, enjoy! xox PS there are a fair share of negative people out there too, like tploomis above, but as a hospitalier kindly and I think wisely told us, when I was concerned about being a burden and accepting so much help from others, that it is actually a gift to my fellow pilgrims to present them with an opportunity to give HELP. Also that the Camino is like life itself, it is a community, and kids and people of all types are an essential part of any community, its a give and take, like life itself, and one has to be happy with both. xoxoxo

To go back to one of your other concerns....blisters. So long as your shoes fit and you are not carrying too much weight (which you will have to be especially careful of as you will be sharing the 3yo's and perhaps 12yo's gear amongst you), you are unlikely to get blisters if you are limiting your walking to about 10km each day. That's a standard distance for our kids to cover with paper runs and the like three times a week. Then we throw in some long hikes at the weekend....yet blisters have only been an issue for any of them when their shoes were getting too small!

Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know about the blisters, as well as hear of other success stories with young children. Today is the first day of school holidays, so we hope to make the most of it with some nice family walking.

Regarding the diverse community, I read the thread about sleep interruptions and can see that rest time can touch a raw nerve. I don't resent tploomis' comment though as my writing stated a certainty that we would disrupt the entire community, which I don't believe is the case. Actually, after reading that thread, I suspect we may be some of the quieter elements. ;)

I'm going to trawl through the net checking out the different trail mentioned above by falcon. Thank you for your suggestion. It's very exciting indeed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great !!! Yes, do it!!!!
We walked spring 2012 with 2 babies and a dog in a Croozer .........

I considered taking my faithful dog who had accompanied me on all my training walks, but decided that I could no without the extra responsibility on my first big trekking adventure. However I did take my baby, but she was thirty years old, and had invited me to join her in the first place! I cannot imagine being responsible for such young children in an unknown environment. I am amazed that a single person could cope, but you obviously had a fabulous experience. Have you written about your camino, other than on this forum? I would love to know more of your trials, tribulations and more importantly your incredible stamina and positive outlook that saw you through your camino. I have huge admiration for you and not a little amazement about how it was possible.

Just keep in mind that the Camino is tough on an adult so imagine how it can be on a kid.

Buen Camino!

I won't pretend that our camino was without incident (there was one day when we let our youngest lad lag well behind us because he had a bad case of the grumps - just like he gets at home - and we knew he was safe)....but.....on the whole (in my experience) (how am I going for qualifying statements?!!!) kids are less complicated than adults. They don't have the emotional baggage that adults seem to carry. And if they are walking with parents who can monitor their physical capabilities and not stretch them too far, then they will probably do as well as (or even better than) many adults.
Maybe I'm blessed to have adaptable kids (I am - but I think a lot of it is training too), but I do think a child picks up on an adult's expectations and if you are positive, your kids will mostly follow. Especially young ones - they are just happy to be wherever their family is. Whether we were in Cambodia, Mongolia or Greece....what mattered most to our kids was our relationships as a family.

I considered taking my faithful dog who had accompanied me on all my training walks, but decided that I could no without the extra responsibility on my first big trekking adventure. However I did take my baby, but she was thirty years old, and had invited me to join her in the first place! I cannot imagine being responsible for such young children in an unknown environment. I am amazed that a single person could cope, but you obviously had a fabulous experience. Have you written about your camino, other than on this forum? I would love to know more of your trials, tribulations and more importantly your incredible stamina and positive outlook that saw you through your camino. I have huge admiration for you and not a little amazement about how it was possible.
How lovely of you to write such a nice message, it makes me smile :) Thanks. No, havent written as planned, thought originally it would be a great legacy for the children when they are older. However, we were robbed in our camper van using knock out gas in Venice, one day before reaching home, and the camera was taken with all the photos... ooops. It demotivated me from writing. However, I have now put up a post asking if any other pilgrims had photos of us they might share with us, as we were photographed a lot :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I won't pretend that our camino was without incident (there was one day when we let our youngest lad lag well behind us because he had a bad case of the grumps - just like he gets at home - and we knew he was safe)....but.....on the whole (in my experience) (how am I going for qualifying statements?!!!) kids are less complicated than adults. They don't have the emotional baggage that adults seem to carry. And if they are walking with parents who can monitor their physical capabilities and not stretch them too far, then they will probably do as well as (or even better than) many adults.
Maybe I'm blessed to have adaptable kids (I am - but I think a lot of it is training too), but I do think a child picks up on an adult's expectations and if you are positive, your kids will mostly follow. Especially young ones - they are just happy to be wherever their family is. Whether we were in Cambodia, Mongolia or Greece....what mattered most to our kids was our relationships as a family.
I agree, well put ;)

How awful Wildroverwild! It is horrible being robbed - but it is losing the photos that is the worst! Everything else is replaceable (as long as you were all ok) People are gits! I hope all the nicer people do contact you with photos - they'll be all the more precious for it. We also got robbed - the passports, money and cards were missed at the time, but after getting replacement Compostelas - it was the loss of the photos that rankled, all those pilgrims we had met, the memories, the smiles... Just means we'll have to do it again I spose...

As I was out walking today I was thinking of you guys. I wondered whether starting in Bayonne might be a good idea - Bayonne to Arre/Pamplona and join the Frances there. I'll be walking it in May '14 so I'll let you know how it goes if you like.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I was out walking today I was thinking of you guys. I wondered whether starting in Bayonne might be a good idea - Bayonne to Arre/Pamplona and join the Frances there. I'll be walking it in May '14 so I'll let you know how it goes if you like.
Thank you so much for both thinking of us, and for considering specific options that would be better. That's so nice of you.
I've just jumped on to maps and found the places, but can't see the advantage. Is the crossing of the Pyrenees better there, or does it give us more time in France? Just looking at google maps it plots three walking trails to Pamplona from Bayonne. Where would you see as favourable?

From what I understand it is a more gentle route - I'll be able to tell you whether this is fact after I've done both;-)

Take a look at this site
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/baztanes/

Even though the stages look long (around 20km), if you click on each stage you will see on the maps that there are albergues in between the stage endpoints so you could do much shorter distances. Except for stages five and six - but there is private accommodation and you could always grab a taxi if it turned out to be too far.

What a wonderful site. I've struggled to find that information, but stupidly hadn't spent much time search in Spanish or French. A wealth of information pretty much exactly set out how I need it for now. Thank you! At the risk of being accused of being lazy (I haven't searched much in French) do you know of a similar site for the walk from Le Puy?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-de-le-puy.htm

Gronze, it is claimed by many on this forum, has the most accurate distances and elevations. I am relying very heavily on them for my other routes, but they don't do the Baztan.
Before we walked last year, we had read a few novels set in Spain, the Brierley guide and had only just found this forum - we didn't get lost;-) I did feel the need to plan a bit with having the responsibility for such a large group and with it including children, but I must say there really is little that can go wrong if you are willing to not be overly ambitious. For our upcoming Camino I have made a spreadsheet of all places with albergues, with the distances between them marked, so that we can easily choose a distance on any given day (I've also marked prices and number of beds so that we can choose cheaper places if we need to and we can judge whether there are likely to be enough beds - trying to make somewhat informed choices without preplanning each stage at home - although I have written up a worst-case scenario so that we could determine when to book plane tickets for)

Paul-L I read your initial post and did not read other responses but wanted to share a twitter account and face book account of a non-verbal Autistic young lady currently walking the Camino. The Twitter account is https://twitter.com/FthHopLovBritt. If you are connected to face book search for Faith Hope Love Brittany, You may find the post interesting and possibly some insight on what your son could experience . Such a wonderful experience awaits your family.

God bless you and your family, Prayers that you hear the calling you are to follow and the strength not to let other deter you from it.

Last edited:
Paul-L I read your initial post and did not read other responses but wanted to share a twitter account and face book account of a non-verbal Autistic young lady currently walking the Camino. The Twitter account is https://twitter.com/FthHopLovBritt. If you are connected to face book search for Faith Hope Love Brittany, You may find the post interesting and possibly some insight on what your son could experience . Such a wonderful experience awaits your family.

God bless you and your family, Prayers that you hear the calling you are to follow and the strength not to let other deter you from it.
Thank you so much for thinking of us and offering this post. I also thank you for your prayers.

Just to update our current situation, we have done three walks in three days to test the waters with our kids. (Bear in mind they are 18 months, 6, 9, 12, 14 now) and they have gone well. Only short distances to feel it out, 4.5 km through bush with a 2km descent then ascent, 8.5km bush track with light packs each then 12km walk through bush on easy tracks. All going well except for one little moment of excitement when I kicked a king brown by accident. So lucky it was me. On my front step I kicked it as it came onto the path and with my right step I kicked it again as it reared up. Dumb luck though. So the biggest problem was clumsy Dad! My autistic son is coping beautifully with the walking, however he isn't enjoying it very much. He has good moments though, and is not unpleasant at all.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for thinking of us and offering this post. I also thank you for your prayers.

My autistic son is coping beautifully with the walking, however he isn't enjoying it very much. He has good moments though, and is not unpleasant at all.

Remember too that walking in Spain is different to walking at home! Far more exciting.

How awful Wildroverwild! It is horrible being robbed - but it is losing the photos that is the worst! Everything else is replaceable (as long as you were all ok) People are gits! I hope all the nicer people do contact you with photos - they'll be all the more precious for it. We also got robbed - the passports, money and cards were missed at the time, but after getting replacement Compostelas - it was the loss of the photos that rankled, all those pilgrims we had met, the memories, the smiles... Just means we'll have to do it again I spose...
Really??!!!! You too lost all your photos due to being robbed?! Yes we were OK. Just so annoying and pointless, the camera was even broken, the sim card however... ahhhhh. Where were you robbed, in Santiago? ANd yes, sure do it again, good idea!

I might have missed it, but which month(s) are you planning to walk? That would influence quite a few things. In all cases, Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are planning on April, May, June 2015. That time frame roughly.

We are planning on April, May, June 2015. That time frame roughly.
Ok, so not high season ;-) Additionally to what others have said, and assuming (sorry if I am wrong) that you are not fluent in Spanish I would also suggest that you get a laminated card made that explains in Spanish your circumstances - to show to the hospitaleros. Most of them will be quite helpful if they understand the situation. To put it brutally: a child that is perceived as badly educated is treated differently from a child that has inborn difficulties to behave differently. Sorry, English is not my first language, so please don't be offended if I am not 100% politically correct.
I remember also a family of 2+5?, one of them with Down Syndrome (different I know!) that did the Camino on bikes in 2004. I welcomed them as a hospitalera in Ponferrada and they did just fine! Perhaps the CSJ can put you in contact with them to get some more tips? OK, long ramble, what I really want to say is be upfront about your family and the needs all of you have and be polite and non-demanding and most of the pilgrims / hospitaleros will go the extra mile to help you ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Thanks for your thoughts. Spanish shouldn't be a problem as we speak it at home. My son is more likely to just find different sounds amusing (at times highly inappropriately, we still laugh at it, but don't think others agree. We were at a school performance at there was a fairly solemn moment when a welcome to country was made by a member of the Eora community in their language and he burst out laughing, but a completely pure, beautiful, unhibited laughter). Our capacity to explain will be fine.

More often than not he functions perfectly, which means that we rarely label him with others. It just doesn't feel necessary. A quiet comment though at appropriate moments (such as don't try to force him to eat a certain food or to endure certain sounds) will help prevent problems arising. Essentially he has a different way of perceiving the world and processes information differently. However, I would argue that there isn't a single unified perception of the world anyway. Also, it is difficult to separate when a child doing something questionable (they all do) because they are a child, or attributing it to his autism.

I agree that a child who has bad behaviour is treated very differently as a child with special needs. However not every special need is readily identified by others, nor explained. Since discovering what autism can mean it has changed our propensity to judge other parents who have children demonstrating poor behaviour. Sometimes it is so very clear that a child is autistic, however I also know that I would have previously judged that child's parents.

From the responses I've received and more broader reading, I sense that the vast majority of hospitaleros will be wonderful, and that a higher percentage of the community in the albergues than the general community will be understanding, but that there will still be a small percentage of unpleasant people (who I suspect would not be sympathetic even if an explanation were offered).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When our one unhappy man asked the hospitalero to have us moved out of "his" room as we had children, we did not feel in the slightest the need to defend our decision to be there. We let them deal with it - and quietly reminded the kids that this was one Very Important Occasion for them to be on Best Behaviour;-)

Really??!!!! You too lost all your photos due to being robbed?! Yes we were OK. Just so annoying and pointless, the camera was even broken, the sim card however... ahhhhh. Where were you robbed, in Santiago? ANd yes, sure do it again, good idea!
We were in Mimizan Plage on the Voie Litoral, on our way back home. It was our own fault really - we were tired and hungry, so just lumped everything into a bag, to walk into town, my husband's foot was sore, so we jumped back on the bikes without decanting our stuff, just slung the bag on the bike. Some muppet must of whipped it away whilst we were salivating over a menu!!
Annoying cos I wanted to write a book - but as the book is not that good, I have started another about our subsequent journey with the dog in tow...!
I think these things are shocking and disorienting at the time, but we have to dust ourselves off and get on with it. As Bob Marley said (after getting shot) the bad guys don't take a day off - so how can I?

paul_l,

if you get into santiago upon completion of your camino, you and your family are welcome to stay at our 110+50 bed pilgrim hostel. we have 8 separate dormitories and as a policy we normally placed family together in a separate dormitory.

buen camino. good luck and god bless.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Check out this website for an albergue in Estella. It was called ANFAS Albergue, some of the hospilitero/as are adults and children with special needs and autism. One of the most memorable albergues we stayed at, they were caring, loving and welcoming. They also organize Caminos for their kids...check it out, they might be a great source of information...hope it helps!

http://www.albergueanfas.org/inicio.php?tipo=1&id=2

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back