• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm out

Rob the Slob

A slob
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid to Santiago (May 2016)
I made it to Coca, and while I was preparing for the next day's walk I realised that I wasn't enjoying myself. I'd been looking forward to hours of walking through farmland and woodland by myself, but beyond Segovia I found the walking uninspiring and dull. The thought of just one more day, never mind hundreds of miles, just turned me off.

I was always in this for the walking, not any kind of spiritual pilgrimage. I actually enjoyed the walking south of the Sierra much more, even though it was tougher going. Perhaps I'll try some hikes in Scandinavia or Scotland next time, now that I know I can handle the miles with a heavy pack.

So now I'm in Sevilla for a few days. Don't know what I'll do after that: maybe make my way home in leisurely stages, via Salamanca, Leon and France. No one but my cat is expecting me home anytime soon. ☺

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry you did not find what you had hoped for. Not always easy to admit it and back out gracefully. I think that walking the Caminos should be a pleasure and not a penance. The routes from the south have never sounded attractive to me. I hope that you take home something positive from the experience anyway.

Pax et bonum.

PS: You mention Scandinavia. I am writing this on a bus heading for London and a flight to Sweden to walk the St Olavsleden :)

take GR7 all the way down to Catalonia and then GR11/HRP to the Atlantic coast. should take some time though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for your comment, Rob, I hope lots of people read it. I think one of the problematic features of a forum like this is that the people who don't get the camino addiction rarely stay on the forum and then the comments all tend towards a rosy unanimity. Even those of us who keep coming back have days like you describe, and it's good for people to see that sometimes those days lead to the Camino's end. Enjoy Sevilla, and if you are working your way northward, following the route of the Vdlp in a bus will get you to some pretty spectacular places -- Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora, to name a few. And if you head north from Leon, Oviedo is truly a not to be missed place. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Spain and that your cats forgive you your absence.

I made it to Coca, and while I was preparing for the next day's walk I realised that I wasn't enjoying myself. I'd been looking forward to hours of walking through farmland and woodland by myself, but beyond Segovia I found the walking uninspiring and dull. The thought of just one more day, never mind hundreds of miles, just turned me off.

I was always in this for the walking, not any kind of spiritual pilgrimage. I actually enjoyed the walking south of the Sierra much more, even though it was tougher going. Perhaps I'll try some hikes in Scandinavia or Scotland next time, now that I know I can handle the miles with a heavy pack.

So now I'm in Sevilla for a few days. Don't know what I'll do after that: maybe make my way home in leisurely stages, via Salamanca, Leon and France. No one but my cat is expecting me home anytime soon. ☺

I join with Bradypus, the southern routes have never spoken to me - and most things I read of them leave me less than tempted to walk there.

The initial intent of the Camino was strictly for penance, it was never envisioned as a leisurely stroll in the woods. I think we forget that at times. I hope I don't step on anyone's toes, but a actual pilgrimage is meant for other things.

Joyfully, the Camino is open to all regardless of their intent or motivation. However, when the spiritual part of it is excluded it is easy to find individuals who conclude that the Camino is not what they have understood it to be - that it can be a really rough slog.

The best thing is that we don't answer to anyone; no one has the ability to pass out grades. When you find that it is not a fun adventure, then switch to something else. Spain is filled with some really beautiful cities, country, and people. France is heaven for me and has been since I was a boy. Enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Sorry to hear this Rob. Your cat will love you even more.
Wish you well, Peter.

It sounds like you did get what you wanted out of it, just not for as long as you had expected. There is nothing wrong with that and I hope you enjoy your journey home. Be well and may adventure find you when you invite it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having walked the Camino Frances twice, I started the Via de la Plata from Merida in March this year. Some physical factors intervened for my walking partner, so we took a bus to Leon and walked from there to Santiago. We were left with 3 weeks to fill, so we abandoned our sleeping bags and proceeded to travel around Spain at a day's whim - 2 women in their 60s with modest-sized backpacks, saying things like "Let's go to Morocco tomorrow" or "I need to buy a dress for my son's wedding." We fitted in some day walks as well - one day from Nerja to Frigiliana on the Gran Senda de Malaga, for example. We kept ourselves entertained and happy and learned a lot about Spain. It was such a successful trip, although different from a pilgrimage/camino, that I am thinking of doing a similar combination next year - a few weeks of walking the Camino (until I decide enough is enough), followed by something different.

Enjoy yourself on the next adventure. Take advantage of the opportunity!

I appreciate your honesty. I loved walking the Camino, but I remember one point after 3 weeks and I felt I was done. I wish we could all leave the baggage of guilt on the side of the road. Things we feel we should do or be. I found this post today that seems to speak to it, although you said your journey was not necessarily for spiritual reasons.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462208880173.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462208880173.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 35
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When you are in Leon why not join the CF for a few days?. The vibe may be totally different and it really is a beautiful walk from there. Maybe worth a try while you are there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

If what you like is solitary walking through amazing green countryside with cowbells and the sound of streams constantly in the background and some nice hills and regular rain(!) then why not head up to the Norte or if you like hills in particular the Primitivo. I just finished having started Apr 4th from Santander and going via Oviedo and the Primitivo. It couldn't be more beautiful, and if you like English and Scottish hillwalking you would love this. Some days I was alone in the albergue, some days I saw hardly another pilgrim, though obviously as the season advances that will change - but there is still plenty of time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I made it to Coca, and while I was preparing for the next day's walk I realised that I wasn't enjoying myself. I'd been looking forward to hours of walking through farmland and woodland by myself, but

Sir Rob the Slob

Get yoursel over to Bilbao and do some of the Del Norte, more people but not too many, and spectacular mix of scenery.
:)

A shout for the San Salvador, lots of mountains, a complete route in itself, definitely not monotonous, 115km.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree. Camino walks are not always rosy although most comments here tend toward mentioning only the positive. Having just completed the Portuguese I'll admit there were stretches of dangerous road walking that I really didn't like or enjoy. And the incessant cobblestones...charming to see but not to walk on. I wouldn't do it again. But not sure if there is a place or a purpose for such comments. I appreciate your honesty.

Camino routes are what they are. They don't pretend to be anything else.
Its us who walk them that have different expectations (EG: "I loved the meseta" or "The meseta was boring") One persons meat is another person's poison.
To walk the Camino de Madrid for your first time Camino might not be such a good idea.

Wow that sound ominous for us. We start the Madrid route in 2 days.
Was the scenery not good? The villages?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The scenery is fantastic, but not necessarily every day. And sometimes for a couple of days in a row. But as Sillydoll said, everyone is different and every day is different. Days of walking through farmland might appear monotonous to some, liberating to others. Days of walking through peaceful pine forests might seem heavenly to some, remote and scary to others. Why not Google Earth the route so you can visualize what the scenery is like if you're worried that might impact your enjoyment of the walk?

It's been a few years since I walked the Madrid route and I can only assume the infrastructure has improved but there are sometimes long sections between towns, and at that time some towns appeared to be 'ghost towns', or with very limited services. So be prepared for that. I would think knowing Spanish would be very helpful on this Camino. And to have a cell phone. When I walked it one often had to call the hospitalero to come open up the albergue and not knowing Spanish made this very difficult!

Hi. I admire you Rob for posting this - I hope you enjoy the rest of your adventure in Spain - there is no prescribed right...

I walked the Madrid Camino in August /September 2015 in my own - and it challenges me on every level.
I did love it... But... I was very out of my comfort zone as only met one other person walking - on his way back waiting for a bus - and j found the absolute cast solitude day and night very uncomfortable at times...
I don't think the infrastructure has 'improved' much but I was met with amazing kindness from total strangers everywhere..
It is varied, very hard going I found the first few days out of Madrid to Segovia,and one has to be very prepared to carry cash and enough food and water...
Don't worry - I found it very very hard getting to Sahugun twelve days later and being with so many people...
It gives us what we need as always...
That's what I think now... I needed this challenge and to be alone... But it wasn't what I thought I wanted...
I am so glad I have walked it..
Buen Camino

I started from Madrid on April 7, and four days later walked into Segovia. There, fate intervened in the form of an e-mail from my real estate agent in Virginia informing me that a very well-qualified buyer had been found for a flat I needed to sell. It had been on market nine months. It appeared St. Joseph was not listening to my pleas for intervention (it's an old urban myth about selling a home). But the buyer was being very strict about settlement dates.

So, needs must, the next morning, I hopped a train at Segovia (excellent AVE service by the way) to Leon and continued the second-half of my planned route on the C/F in the rain... This allowed me to recover from the interruption, reach Santiago, and return home in time for the sale of my home.

In fact, I am in Virginia now. The sale is four days. Had I continued as originally planned, I would have reached Santiago yesterday, and returned home to South Florida on Monday. So, it all worked out...

However, those four days out of Madrid convinced me that the Madrid route is not bad, just "different" from other routes, especially more popular routes like the Frances and Portuguese routes. The fortuitous e-mail that caused me to truncate my planned Camino turned out to have been well-timed, and almost like good karma in it's effect.

In four-days walking I met exactly one other pilgrim who was not a day hiker, or a mountain biker on a local ride. And she, a young woman from Germany on her first-ever Camino, soon realized she had made an error by choosing this route for her first Camino.

Based on my advice, she too jumped ahead to Leon to walk the second half of the Camino Ftances. When I later met her again, after she arrived at Santiago, she was thrilled at her achievement. She was also thankful for the advice to do the Frances for her first Camino. Mission accomplished!

For my part, in each of the towns I walked into: Tres Cantos, Navarcerrada, Cercedilla, and Segovia, there was a near total absence of anything "Camino" related. There were even fewer "flechas amarilla" markings. They are there, but you need to pay closer attention than you might on the Camino Frances or Portuguese routes. It easier to make a wrong turn.

I was always careful, when stopping at my lodgings, to ask for a town map, and to be shown the Camino route out of town. God bless Google Maps for in-town and urban navigation. Like I said, the arrows are fewer and farther between...

I came away with the distinct impression that the "Madrilanos" may believe they are too urbane and cool for something so plebeian as the Camino de Santiago. Oh well, to each his own...

In Navarcerrada, I even met a policeman who, when I asked where the Camino de Santiago route was to leave town, replied with a shrug "no se... (I do not know...)" SERIOUSLY?!

At Cercedilla, while attending a Saturday evening Vigil Mass to meet my Sunday obligation, I was approached, and touched lightly on the arm, by two or three elderly women, who asked me in Spanish: "Was it true that I was a pilgrim...?" And, "Is it true that you are going to Santiago?" I replied as best I could in my limited Spanish that, yes this was all true.

It was SURREAL! The overall effect on me was that these people evidently did not see many pilgrims, and the presence of one, so brightly attired pilgrim (my livery is often neon colored for safety) in their midst was akin to my just alighting from my spacecraft, having arrived on Earth from whatever planet I was from. The attention from these very nice people was genuine. I was very respectful. But it still left me with an unsettled feeling. It was just weird.

The other aspect of at least the first four days of the Madrid route is that the scenery is beautiful. However, it is so remote. There are NO services or cafes between towns. There are far more cattle on the ranches adjacent to the country road, or senda you follow. The sole saving aspects that cellular / mobile phone signal strength was very good, and you are still within the Communidad of Madrid until you reach Segovia.

So, the Camino de Madrid is different from other routes. The relative good or bad should be assessed by each pilgrim who undertakes it. For me, it was a bit too desolate and devoid of others. It was physically challenging at times. Yet the scenery is beautiful.

In particular, the "climb" out of Navarcerrada is a "doozie!" I put in a par with the first day out of St. Jean Pied de Port on the Frances.

But, to tell the absolute truth, after the first three days, God and I had nothing more to say to each other. Trust me, I was listening, but there was no one on the other end of the conversation at that point. I was fresh out of meditation, prayers, and miscellaneous mind teasers that pilgrims use to occupy their grey cells while walking. Listening to music is out of the question for me while on Camino, both for reasons of safety and just on principle.

So, when the karma-like intervention dropped into my lap via e-mail at Segovia, maybe it WAS the Boss telling me to "fuggedaboutit!" Who am I to judge? I just rolled with the facts and reality. It and life, in general, will all work out...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Cheryland don:

Each person has different ideas as to what a good Camino is or is not. I just completed this Camino in April and found it very good. The only potential downsides are it is not well traveled and it is helpful if you speak Spanish.

The landscape is varied and sometimes challenging. There are several historical structures. The way marking is not as good as the Frances but more than adequate. I did take two wrong turns but easily corrected the errors. The Albergues are good and frequent enough. There are adequate food stops though Sundays and Holidays can be challenging in small villages.

I would recommend this Camino. I also posted briefly most days about accommodations and the days walk if you want to look at them. I am also willing to respond to any questions in a PM.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I'd been looking forward to hours of walking through farmland and woodland by myself, but beyond Segovia I found the walking uninspiring and dull.

Some people loves the meseta while other people doesn't like it. It seems you are on the latter group. You knew the rest of the walk would be on the meseta so you decided to end what you found an uninspiring and dull walking. You went just for the walking so if you weren't enjoying it there wasn't any point on continuing it when you had alternative options that may be more enjoyable for you. So congratulations for your decision and enjoy whatever you make on the rest of your trip!

Was the scenery not good?

From Segovia onwards, all the Camino de Madrid is on the (North) (sub)meseta. Some people love the meseta while others don't like it because they find it monotonous, dull... You may take a look at this thread www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/parts-to-bypass-time-limited.40268 where there are all sort of opinions about the meseta (a different area of the meseta but the same meseta). In other words, you may love the meseta or you may not love it (at all) and that will make an important difference on the feeling you get from this camino. Your aim can make a difference too. It's not the same if you just go for the walk/hike, than if you are going in a pilgrimage with the aim of arriving to Santiago de Compostela and looking for spirituality along the route.

The sole saving aspects that cellular / mobile phone signal strength was very good, and you are still within the Communidad of Madrid until you reach Segovia.

Excuse me but I don't get it. Why is to be within the Comunidad de Madrid a saving aspect?

BTW, let me make a nuance, you are within the Comunidad de Madrid till you reach Segovia Province (not Segovia town); i.e.: till you reach the top of Fuenfría (Mountain) Pass (the top of the long climb you start out of Cercedilla).

"I came away with the distinct impression that the "Madrilanos" may believe they are too urbane and cool for something so plebeian as the Camino de Santiago. Oh well, to each his own..."

t2andreo.
I really don´t think that the Madrileños are that way. The thing is that the Camino de Madrid is not very known yet, but I think that most Madrileños know the Camino Frances and are aware of its importance.

I have walked with plenty of Madrilenos, my novia is one and I have walked two caminos with her and she has the bug more than me now, have a look at the statistics for places of origin in Spain for pilgrims who get the Compostela, Madrid usually comes out top. If the Camino de Madrid has great waymarking and infrastructure guess which association and the city they come from which has been instrumental in this.

Some people loves the meseta while other people doesn't like it. It seems you are on the latter group. You knew the rest of the walk would be on the meseta so you decided to end what you found an uninspiring and dull walking. You went just for the walking so if you weren't enjoying it there wasn't any point on continuing it when you had alternative options that may be more enjoyable for you. So congratulations for your decision and enjoy whatever you make on the rest of your trip!

From Segovia onwards, all the Camino de Madrid is on the (North) (sub)meseta. Some people love the meseta while others don't like it because they find it monotonous, dull... You may take a look at this thread www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/parts-to-bypass-time-limited.40268 where there are all sort of opinions about the meseta (a different area of the meseta but the same meseta). In other words, you may love the meseta or you may not love it (at all) and that will make an important difference on the feeling you get from this camino. Your aim can make a difference too. It's not the same if you just go for the walk/hike, than if you are going in a pilgrimage with the aim of arriving to Santiago de Compostela and looking for spirituality along the route.

Excuse me but I don't get it. Why is to be within the Comunidad de Madrid a saving aspect?

BTW, let me make a nuance, you are within the Comunidad de Madrid till you reach Segovia Province (not Segovia town); i.e.: till you reach the top of Fuenfría (Mountain) Pass (the top of the long climb you start out of Cercedilla).

The closer you are to a major city, generally, the stronger your cellular / mobile signal strength will be. This is usually because there are more subscribers in the larger cities. THAT was the context my comment was made within.

However, I find cellular / mobile signal strength to be embarrassingly strong in any country EXCEPT the US. I think this is because of the market driven system that responds primarily to supply and demand, not customer convenience or government policy.

In the US,we have many - too many - "dead zones" between population centers. Conversely in most places I have traveled outside the US, governments seem to require cellular / mobile towers be provided to establish a network or web of wireless coverage across a given country.

There will be exceptions to this, to be sure. However, if I can get 4 to 5 out of 5 signal-strength dots in the remote, jungle areas of the Golden Triangle area of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos, WHY can I not have similar coverage in South Florida? I typically get only 2 dots on a good day when I am at home and outside. When I lived outside Washington DC the norm was 3 dots, and 4 if I was standing in a direct line of sight to a cellular antenna tower.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The closer you are to a major city, generally, the stronger your cellular / mobile signal strength will be. This is usually because there are more subscribers in the larger cities. THAT was the context my comment was made within.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't get it because you told about saving aspects. Very good cellular phone signal strenght would be one saving aspect and I thought you meant the other one was to be within the Autonomous Community of Madrid (because you wrote and before it) but, as you clarify now, that's what you consider the reason of the very good cellular phone signal strenght. Therefore, that's just one saving aspect (good cellular coverage due to closeness to a big city)... unless you want to add a second one now, i.e.

I found it to be incredibly beautiful.
From the start to the finish.
Hi Annie
We are on day 3 .made it to Segovia. The days have been Long as it is SO wet. It even snowed as we crossed the pass yesterday. Was not expecting such cold wet weather.
Unfortunately we did not get to see any views. But the walk was great. The uphill much better than I expected!.
We do not speak Spanish. So that has been tricky.

The accommodation choices are very limited and expensive at this stage. We think they will get better as we get further away from the big towns.

Having fun though. It's an adventure!. Met 3 other pilgrims on route.
Just hope the rain stops soon .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm six wet days out from Sevilla. It's beautiful and there are a dozen to twenty of us walking and enjoying each other's company, sometimes during the day, often in the evening. Take a bus to Merida and meet us there in a couple of days!!!
BTW, I really really likeLaurie's reply.

Hi Annie
We are on day 3 .made it to Segovia. The days have been Long as it is SO wet. It even snowed as we crossed the pass yesterday. Was not expecting such cold wet weather.
Unfortunately we did not get to see any views. But the walk was great. The uphill much better than I expected!.
We do not speak Spanish. So that has been tricky.

The accommodation choices are very limited and expensive at this stage. We think they will get better as we get further away from the big towns.

Having fun though. It's an adventure!. Met 3 other pilgrims on route.
Just hope the rain stops soon .

Cheryland:

That is a good start but I am not sure why you are having trouble finding reasonable accommodation. I do not remember spending more than 20 euro's for any accommodation on this route. There will be more Albergues from Segovia to Sahagun.

Ultreya,
Joe

As for 2016, average price for hostal/pensión is 25 euros I'd say. Still there is almost always a possibility of finding an albergue.

/BP

Thank you, @Rob the Slob , for posting this thread. I walked out of Madrid on 19 April - a few days before you started, I think. Over the next two days I had a couple of accidents and returned home 2 ½ weeks later. It seemed that I wasn’t supposed to walk - whether it was that Camino or at that time, I don’t know. I’ve been having problems imagining myself attempting that Camino again, no desire. Nor have I been interested in returning to Spain to walk any other Camino. I’ve not been very happy about all this. And then I saw this thread — four months after you started it. After reading the whole thread, it was very clear that I would not have enjoyed that walk - it was not my sort of Camino - whatever that means. Since admitting to myself, four months later, that I would not have enjoyed that Camino, I have renewed interest in walking the Frances again, and am very much looking forward to a Spring walk - my 5th Camino since I count that time in April and early May as a Camino of a different sort. Thanks to you, Rob, and to all who posted - Camino Angels - all of you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back