• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm so discouraged!

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
Today is the first time I've gotten blisters while training for our camino in July! I thought I had my shoe/sock combo all worked out. My feet have been fine on our 10-12 mile hikes so far (except for my plantar fasciitis but that is another story). Those hikes were all one day training though.

This week was the first time we did back to back hikes in trying to get some multi day hikes under our belt. We did 11.5 miles yesterday and then today about 4 miles in I noticed the discomfort. I fixed them up abit and we did another 10 miles. At least I now know what it feels like to hike with blisters. I am so discouraged at the thought of working out a new shoe and or sock combo. I guess I'm not asking for asvice....I know everyone's feet are different. I just needed to vent about this unfortunate situation. Thanks for "listening"! This forum has been a goldmine of information!

Back to the drawing board!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today is the first time I've gotten blisters while training for our camino in July! I thought I had my shoe/sock combo all worked out. My feet have been fine on our 10-12 mile hikes so far (except for my plantar fasciitis but that is another story). Those hikes were all one day training though.

This week was the first time we did back to back hikes in trying to get some multi day hikes under our belt. We did 11.5 miles yesterday and then today about 4 miles in I noticed the discomfort. I fixed them up abit and we did another 10 miles. At least I now know what it feels like to hike with blisters. I am so discouraged at the thought of working out a new shoe and or sock combo. I guess I'm not asking for asvice....I know everyone's feet are different. I just needed to vent about this unfortunate situation. Thanks for "listening"! This forum has been a goldmine of information!

I had blisters from hiking boats that had various "problems". It was suggested that on areas that got blisters I should use electrical tape for protection. Thought that sounded weird, but tried it on my preparation hikes. It seemed to work I still found it hard to believe but on my actual real hike used it and was really thankful. Obviously ,it shouldn't be used on any open or raw areas. For protection it was amazing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Paula, here is the greatest trick you'll ever need to prevent blisters or skin damage.....Each week soak your feet in a bowl of Which Hazel, it hardens the skin on your soles and also in general, the military do it a different way but this will help you 100% and stop you from getting blisters ever again. Buen Camino

Prevention is better than cure, and look on the bright side - better to get blisters now than halfway across the Meseta. Blisters are caused by friction between a hard surface (your footwear) and a soft one (your skin). This is why boots are not favoured by many pilgrims even though others swear by them. Anyway, softer, flexible footwear is probably better for long walks on hard surfaces.

Lamb's wool - favoured by New Zealanders who, in their quiet way, seem to know a lot more about the outdoors than most. The trick is to use it pre-emptively. As soon as you feel that hot spot that says a blister is coming, work it into a pad and place it over the spot. If you get it right, it will work itself into the right shape, insulate you against the friction and release small, healing amounts of lanolin.

But a quick disclaimer, by some freak of nature, I never get blisters. Must be the shape of my feet. Buen camino.

Hi Paula
I totally feel your pain.
We’ve just finished an 86km/4 day walk. I am now the sad and sorry owner of severe blisters in all sorts of places that have never had them. I wear toe socks, but due to my late change of footwear, ( my Altra Olympus causing Achilles tendonitis ) I seem to have come to grief. I am 3 1/2 months out from CF and in a mild state of panic. Am looking at insole replacement as well as foot glide which I’ve never used. I will watch this thread with interest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's not unusual for people who don't have problems with blisters when doing long hikes on the weekend to develop blisters when walking long distances on consecutive days. I always recommend doing exactly what you are doing and do at least three consecutive days of long walks to suss out where you may have issues, so that you know your trouble spots and how to address them.

There are a number of strategies that you can use on the problem areas. Some people like to use Vaseline or an anti friction stick like Foot Glide. Others like to tape their problem areas. (I'm partial to Omnifix tape which is thin and flexible) another option that hasn't been mentioned much on the forum is Engo patches that attach inside your shoes at friction trouble spots. They are available on Amazon.

Now you know where a vulnerable area is, and you can protect it.

I need to use Omnifix or similar lightly adhesive gauze (also called dressing retention tape) on certain parts of my feet, for at least several days or a week at the start of the camino. The key is to start on Day 1 before the damage is done! Maybe after a week or so, your feet will have toughened up so you don't need it, but you'll need to judge that.

I am on the Camino Requena now. My first day was only 10 km, so I thought I'd be fine without. By the end of the day I had hotspots on the bottom of my feet but luckily not blisters(yet). The next day, I made sure to apply Omnifix, and I'm doing well.

I note that your post is entitled "discouraged", not "in pain".

I'll leave others to dispense blister treatment and avoidance advice and focus instead on the discouragement.

Why do you feel discouraged?
Because of a few blisters?
Did you really think you were going to walk all the way to Santiago and not suffer from one or all of the common ailments?

As other posters have said, better to be suffering now, and learning now, than on the road.
It may not feel like it right at this moment but you have just acquired (and are currently processing) an important piece of knowledge to pack away in your "mental backpack" and the beauty of that backpack is that it may weigh you down now but becomes absorbed over time and weighs nothing. Something that helps you on your journey that weighs nothing!

I think that instead of feeling discouraged you should try to be feeling quite positive. You're clearly on some kind of a training regime and that regime is working exactly as intended - it is teaching you about what you should and shouldn't be doing! It's preparing you for the reality.
If that "feeling positive" is difficult (or even feels impossible) to do, I'd gently suggest that you incorporate that into your training regime. Just as walking X kms up a big hill probably seemed very challenging when you started you're learned that you can actually do it.

On a long journey, like a Camino, many things can go awry from our plans and we can make many decisions that we end up regretting. Having something in our mental backpack to turn "something wrong" into "something I wasn't expecting" or a poor decision into a "learning opportunity" can be just as important as all the physical training we do. (Personally, think it's of far more importance).

One of the greatest things I ever accomplished (as someone born without a sense of direction) was to stop considering myself as "being lost" (and therefore lose the fear of getting lost) and to think of myself as exploring. Physically, nothing changes, but mentally, the world became a whole lot bigger and less scary.

Buen Camino

I'll leave others to dispense blister treatment and avoidance advice and focus instead on the discouragement.

Did you really think you were going to walk all the way to Santiago and not suffer from one or all of the common ailments?

As other posters have said, better to be suffering now, and learning now, than on the road.
It may not feel like it right at this moment but you have just acquired (and are currently processing) an important piece of knowledge to pack away in your "mental backpack" and the beauty of that backpack is that it may weigh you down now but becomes absorbed over time and weighs nothing. Something that helps you on your journey that weighs nothing!

I think that instead of feeling discouraged you should try to be feeling quite positive. You're clearly on some kind of a training regime and that regime is working exactly as intended - it is teaching you about what you should and shouldn't be doing! It's preparing you for the reality.
If that "feeling positive" is difficult (or even feels impossible) to do, I'd gently suggest that you incorporate that into your training regime. Just as walking X kms up a big hill probably seemed very challenging when you started you're learned that you can actually do it.

On a long journey, like a Camino, many things can go awry from our plans and we can make many decisions that we end up regretting. Having something in our mental backpack to turn "something wrong" into "something I wasn't expecting" or a poor decision into a "learning opportunity" can be just as important as all the physical training we do. (Personally, think it's of far more importance).

One of the greatest things I ever accomplished (as someone born without a sense of direction) was to stop considering myself as "being lost" (and therefore lose the fear of getting lost) and to think of myself as exploring. Physically, nothing changes, but mentally, the world became a whole lot bigger and less scary.

Buen Camino
What a thoughtful reply! Buen Camino! I’ll remember this advice!

I've used two strategies in combination for the many years I've been walking: dry foot lube and protection for the known trouble spots. While some people advocate wet, gooey foot glide, the thought of washing that goop out of my socks every night is just ... loathsome. I've used Gold Bond Foot Powder to wonderful effect: it's a dry powder, smells great, absorbs moisture, and it's usable in other parts than feet. To protect known trouble spots, I use Kinesiology tape, which I carry in event of a recurrence of my plantar fasciaitis. It's flexible and stretchy and again, useful in many ways.

Prevention is better than cure, and look on the bright side - better to get blisters now than halfway across the Meseta. Blisters are caused by friction between a hard surface (your footwear) and a soft one (your skin). This is why boots are not favoured by many pilgrims even though others swear by them. Anyway, softer, flexible footwear is probably better for long walks on hard surfaces.

Lamb's wool - favoured by New Zealanders who, in their quiet way, seem to know a lot more about the outdoors than most. The trick is to use it pre-emptively. As soon as you feel that hot spot that says a blister is coming, work it into a pad and place it over the spot. If you get it right, it will work itself into the right shape, insulate you against the friction and release small, healing amounts of lanolin.

But a quick disclaimer, by some freak of nature, I never get blisters. Must be the shape of my feet. Buen camino.
I have lambs wool but have never needed it or tried it yet. I guess now it's time!

Buen Camino
What I was feeling most discouraged about was trying to find new shoes! I have tried and returned so many pairs already! My current pair has been great so far. I was dreading starting the process again. I still have about 7 weeks until our trip so I think I will work with these shoes and focus on hot spot and blister management with some of the techniques suggested here.

I appreciate so much your response in terms of focusing on the positive! I do expect hardship and things to awry during our camino. This is a great opportunity to reset my mind and soldier on! Today the blisters are much better after treating them last night. Maybe what I need to learn is patience and not to get caught up in a reactionary mindset!

There is always so much to learn on this forum. Thank you all for the encouragement!

In September/October I walked a few Camino routes totalling just under 2000km with 1 blister. From late March until 5 May this year I walked the 1170km Via Augusta/Via de la Plata with no blisters. As one of your responders says, blisters come from friction inside your footwear. Your feet sweat and your socks expand inside the footwear. In my opinion, having completed 11 Caminos totalling over 8000km, the solution is good quality footwear (I wear ankle-length hiking boots) that are a size bigger than my normal shoes. They are comfortable and don’t cause friction. I also wear very ordinary, thin cotton socks. It works for me…..

Try hiking sandals. Your feet will breathe and stay dry and there’s fewer contact points. I tried sandals on my last camino and it saved me heaps of discomfort and I didn’t get any blisters. You can alternate; shoes for half the day, sandals the other half. I have found Ecco sandals to be the most comfortable but there are plenty of brands to choose from. And yea, don’t be discouraged. We’ve all been through it. Heaps of solutions, as per the comments above, to prevent or ease the problem.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've used two strategies in combination for the many years I've been walking: dry foot lube and protection for the known trouble spots. While some people advocate wet, gooey foot glide, the thought of washing that goop out of my socks every night is just ... loathsome. I've used Gold Bond Foot Powder to wonderful effect: it's a dry powder, smells great, absorbs moisture, and it's usable in other parts than feet. To protect known trouble spots, I use Kinesiology tape, which I carry in event of a recurrence of my plantar fasciaitis. It's flexible and stretchy and again, useful in many ways.
I use foot glide but mine must not be the same as yours. Mine is slick, slightly waxy. Works very well. I wash my clothes by hand in the evening with just a few sprinkles of powder Tide. No gooey accumulation. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Paula,

Armaskin liner socks!! (Silicone no moisture or slipping , both of which cause blisters) You’ll never have another blister! Love them… (I still lathered with Vaseline though just because I like the feel on my feet!😂) buen camino!

I used the Wright Sock. No blisters and comfortable. Could also be your hiking boot. above all take care of your feet. Bad feet equals pain and misery. Take plenty of medical supplies for blisters. Be proactive! The money now will be well worth it on the trail! Take care. Buen Camino!👣👣👣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What I was feeling most discouraged about was trying to find new shoes! I have tried and returned so many pairs already! My current pair has been great so far. I was dreading starting the process again. I still have about 7 weeks until our trip so I think I will work with these shoes and focus on hot spot and blister management with some of the techniques suggested here.

I appreciate so much your response in terms of focusing on the positive! I do expect hardship and things to awry during our camino. This is a great opportunity to reset my mind and soldier on! Today the blisters are much better after treating them last night. Maybe what I need to learn is patience and not to get caught up in a reactionary mindset!

There is always so much to learn on this forum. Thank you all for the encouragement!
Along with breaking the shoe in there is also breaking in the foot to the shoe so to speak. Much like one poster’s experience with tendinitis using zero drop shoes (Altras) if your feet and corresponding tissues are not used to the positions the shoes are moving them into then discomfort can ensue. Sometimes it means new shoes and sometimes it means keeping the ones you have long enough to adapt to them, within reason of course. There are quite a few issues that crop up when you push distances and/or frequency that you had never noticed before. It’s all part of the hardening process. A good way to shortcut or eliminate some of it is getting the tissues as pliable as possible. I highly recommend the videos by Chase on the Chase Mountains YouTube channel. He trains people to hike large mountains etc but his principles apply really well to the Camino.

Your feet and shoes need to adjust to each other. Try different socks. Merino Wool helps with wicking. Change socks on longer walks. Lube can help. I just got back from Camino. Trained for 3 months about 30-35 miles per week. Got blisters during training but calloused over. Got a few blisters on Camino as well. In my opinion no blisters is not common. Also I trained here and still use trekking poles which helps with gait, navigating trail and side to side motion. I bought poles in Spain and left them. Bring your own rubber tips as plastic on poles noisy and do not grip well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

OK - here’s my story: I’ve walked about 5 Caminos now, all in my late 60s/early 70s. My husband walked 5 caminos before he met me. He never had a blister in his life. Second day out, my first Camino, I had killer blisters the second day. Double Sox, lubricant, the whole deal - did all the right things - KILLER blisters. Went to a clinic along the route, they taught me how to treat blisters. Second Camino SAME THING - still the blisters. Third Camino, at the first HINT of pain or rubbing, I stopped and taped the sore site location. Used something called ELASTICON tape made by Johnson & Johnson. IT DOES NOT MOVE OR SLIDE OFF IN THE WEARING! Very important.

So now that’s what I do - tape, tape & more tape. By the time I’ve finished the first week of walking, my feet look like a paper maché project! LOL. But it works. And I had to buy shoes that were bigger, to accommodate the double sox & tape. I’m a women’s 9 or 9.5 (USA size) and my shoes this year for the Portugués were a size 12!

Know your feet, stock the right stuff (experiment to find your own magic combo) and live with it. And yes, back to back long hikes will expose your feet to the reality of your own foot/body type. And PS, you CAN walk thru a lot of foot pain… but to conquer it by meds & first aid is better. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi Paula, here is the greatest trick you'll ever need to prevent blisters or skin damage.....Each week soak your feet in a bowl of Which Hazel, it hardens the skin on your soles and also in general, the military do it a different way but this will help you 100% and stop you from getting blisters ever again. Buen Camino
Jason, you might want to read "Fixing your Feet" by Jon Vonhof and Tonya Olson. Instead of hardening your feet with witch hazel, Jon advocates keeping them baby soft by rubbing off callouses and applying cream after showering. As a paramedic, Jon followed very long distance runners around the world and treated their feet. If you get a blister under a callous or hardened skin, you are in real trouble. I was in the Army, maybe before witch hazel was invented. We didn't use it then. Changed our WOOL socks frequently. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As someone who has walked 3 Caminos and always gets blisters, I think along with "prevention" it's important to know how to treat them and walk with them.Some days, walking with foot pain was simply part of my Camino and after an hour or so, they'd go numb or I'd stop concentrating on them. I've tried every suggestion, sock, cream, bandaid, etc and I've learned how to mitigate the worst for myself, but I know I'll get blisters and I'm okay with that. Pushing through pain, be it physical, emotional or spiritual (sometimes all 3) is part of what makes this a pilgrimage. I hope you find what works best for you, but justed wanted to share that even with some blisters, my Caminos have been full of wonder.

Which? Sure it is not witch?

Hi Paula, sorry to hear about your blisters, I got a tip years ago from a friend who did the northern route - it was to use vasaline daily and also when you stop for lunch- well it worked for me as I’ve (touch wood) never gotten any blisters and I’ve done 3 camino’s, and hopefully the fourth one in September the Portuguese coastal so best of luck and Buen Camino 👍🇮🇪🚶‍♀️🚶🏼🚶🏽‍♂️

I never had blisters from hiking until I hiked the Camino Frances. For some reason, on the Camino I forgot to use the technique I’d used countless times before—wearing a cut-off stocking sock underneath my wool socks. The stocking allows your foot to move and glide and shift without friction, so no blisters. When I (fingers crossed) embark on the Camino Portuguese this Aug/Sept, I’m going to try that. Plus size up my boots even more. I’m usually a 7 1/2 and wore an 8 on the Camino last year, but will try an 8 1/2 next time. Feet really swell when you’re walking day after day after day.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Try coating your toes and feet with Aquafor. I did this religiously on last year’s Camino and fared very well. Also used Compeed on areas that seemed iffy every morning.

Try coating your toes and feet with Aquafor. I did this religiously on last year’s Camino and fared very well. Also used Compeed on areas that seemed iffy every morning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I use Hiker's Wool regularly. The Lanolin in the merino soothes the spot almost instantly. Never hike without a good supply.

We’re all different and have different needs. I did lots of preventative taping every day. Toes, heels and balls of feet worked for me. I also wore Injinji sock liners to minimise the risk of blisters between my toes. Zero blisters

Everybody has their own blister prevention system. I won't bore you with mine.
But here is a ton of very good blister prevention information from @Rebecca Rushton:

And @Flatlander's post hit the nail on the head. Blisters and challenges are inevitable. The camino can transform how we relate to them, if we let it.

So how good you have this happening now, and not later! Dress rehersal, and there's time to adjust.

I second the sandals idea. I walked seven caminos, six in Keens - watershoes or sturdy sandals. The first camino in shoes was carnage, but the only time I've gotten blisters since was when I thought to try a closed shoe again. That lasted a painful week.

You might consider a separate thread about possible suggstions for whatever unique configuration of foot you have. Finding the right fit can definitely be a hurdle. And lots of folks here have tried lots of shoes. So you'll get suggestions!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Try Duct tape.

Most do not get the chance to do blister management before their Camino. You are so lucky to be able to get that experience before the Big Show!
@Paula P I agree wholeheartedly with @MichelleElynHogan . This is valuable intel that I would rather get in training while I still have opportunity to research and make the optimal changes, rather than be limited by what I can get from the local pharmacies.

Don't worry about changing your shoe-sock combo. There are more sophisticated and targeted ways to deal with blisters. Besides, even with the best possible footwear, it is still possible to get blisters (some will disagree and I'm not going to argue the point). If you feel you have optimised this, stick with it.

What you need to do is research the best prevention for your specific blister location eg: under the big toe, between toes, back of heel etc. Different anatomical locations mean different underlying causes of the blister and potentially different preventions. If you'd like to message me with the anatomical location or a photo showing the site, feel fre and I'll direct you to the relevant information so you can make an informed choice. If not, just google it and you'll probably arrive at my site anyway.

All the best!

another option that hasn't been mentioned much on the forum is Engo patches that attach inside your shoes at friction trouble spots. They are available on Amazon.
I learned about the Engo patches when reading Fixing your Feet by Jon Vonhof. I have used them for 6 or so years now on that many Caminos and believe they work -- for me. They are a small blue super-slick patch that you put inside your boot or shoe wherever your foot rubs. As with foot glide, vaseline, lanolin, tape, liner socks, etc, where there is no rubbing there should be no blisters. I still get one or two tiny blisters at the bottoms of my little toes where they must rub together. But no big ones like I used to. Buen Camino

Agree, the Engo Patches are like a permanent lubricant. Lubricants need frequent reapplication. One Engo patch application will last your entire Camino, as long as you get good initial adhesion. Application technique is important, as is the need to adhere them to perfectly dry and lean surfaces.

They make it slippery between your shoe and sock at that specific location. Lubricants make it slippery between your skin and sock, which is fine as long as you've got enough of it on there and you reapply.

Making things slippery at your specific blister-susceptible area is what reduces shear deformation in the skin, which reduces the risk of the intraepidermal fatigue that is the initiation of the blister injury. Slippery = good, but only at the at-risk area, otherwise it degrades the efficiency of your gait. In other words, Putting glide or Vaseline over your whole foot each day has its potential downsides.

Thank you to everyone for all the helpful tips! Lots of suggestions to work with!
Update for today...blisters were much better this morning after I drained them last night and applied antibiotic ointment and bandaids. We were able to do another 10 mile hike today and I had very little discomfort. I used my Altras in a half size larger which I had already bought for the camino and I switched out my Wrightsocks and used my injinji toe socks with a wool sock over those. Things seem ok for now but I will certainly keep all the great info handy! I really appreciate you all taking the time to offer help!

Try hiking sandals. Your feet will breathe and stay dry and there’s fewer contact points. I tried sandals on my last camino and it saved me heaps of discomfort and I didn’t get any listers. You can alternate; shoes for half the day, sandals the other half.
I loved my hiking sandals. On two Caminos I developed blisters walking into Astorga and on the second occasion I bought some hiking sandals. I have worn them ever since. There are two problems, mud of course, and when walking on stony paths tiny pebbles work their way between sandal and sock. I use boots for the former, and for the latter you just have to keep banging your foot to lose the pebbles!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try using a foot glide.
Have used on all my Caminos and never a blister I also stop every 2 hours and dry my feet and socks whilst watching the world go by.

People who never get blisters love to crow about it. But some of us, no matter what we do or wear or apply, are endowed with toes and feet that just do not go into shoes so well. We get blisters every time we walk a long way for a long time. We get em, we cope, we keep going (most of the time.)
It's a skin thing. It's not a moral failing or a lack of character, no matter how the smug go on about it.
No disappointment necessary.

Try using a foot glide.
In 2014, I walked. Day 1, the Napoleon. I had not foot troubles. Day 2, flooding rains. I got both black toes and huge blisters. I was on the Body Glide/ vaseline train then. It did me no good at all. Probably because I needed to pay attention to drying my socks out at midday and other things. After much suffering, I came home and when walking the Portugues the next year (2015 was a hot year) I discovered the benefits of alcohol (hand sanitizer) and gauze and tape. This combo has done me a lot of good since then. YMMV. MY feet sweat a lot inside the shoe.
The internet is full of many variations of blister preventions and cures. You need to try things out and see what works for your feet.
For me, Injinji or some other socks, alcohol cleansing of the toes and hot spots, tape on hot spots, and any blisters get the whole deal: alcohol, gauze pad, and tape. Which because my feet sweat, gets renewed every morning.
BC

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I used Vaseline or a foot glide product always … seems to work

There are two problems, mud of course, and when walking on stony paths tiny pebbles work their way between sandal and sock. I use boots for the former, and for the latter you just have to keep banging your foot to lose the pebbles!
For mud sandals are perfect! So easy to rinse them off and they dry quickly.

People who never get blisters love to crow about it. But some of us, no matter what we do or wear or apply, are endowed with toes and feet that just do not go into shoes so well. We get blisters every time we walk a long way for a long time. We get em, we cope, we keep going (most of the time.)
It's a skin thing. It's not a moral failing or a lack of character, no matter how the smug go on about it.
No disappointment necessary.
Exactly+

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just finished my first Camino (CF) with only minor blister issues. Why? I attribute it to something I, surprisingly, have not seen posted yet:
I took two pairs of trail shoes.

Both are worthy trail shoes but slightly different in form and fit. That meant that when I started to feel hotspots from the first pair I would switch next morning to pair two, which had slightly different pressure points. This allowed the hotspots from pair one to recover. I alternated the two pairs for the full month.

As for the weight of a second pair, trail shoes these days are impossibly light so it did not really impact my load.

Very interesting, I need to try it out. Thank you for the recommendation

Very interesting, I need to try it out. Thank you for the recommendation
Hello, lots of advice here! I have been walking g the Via dde la Plata for 5 weeks and trained in New walkng shoes since January. Never get blisters. Shoes very ccomfortable. After 3 weeks with no warning I get a large 3 cm blister on the middle of the ball of my right foot. Very painful to weightbare. It coincided with a two day rest in Salamanca a and a 3 day side trip to Avila. Blister settled. Started at lower milages and after 3 days had another one on the outside of my left heel! Sometimes you just cannot win. Anyway this is not weight bearing and not very painful. Lots of advice. Take your pick!

Compeed is like a miracle for blister treatment and prevention. An artificial callus.

Also used Compeed on areas that seemed iffy every morning.
@AllisonDG, it sounds like you were removing and replacing the Compeed dressing each day. Compeed is a hydro-colloidal dressing, and its purpose is to treat an open wound, like a de-roofed blister. The hydro-colloid is activated by the moisture of the wound, and will adhere to that while promoting healing. Removing it daily will lift the healing skin, and my understanding is that it will extend the healing process, not shorten it.

If, on the other hand, you have applied it to an unbroken blister, it is possible that there will be no bonding, and you have just applied a very expensive dressing where a band-aid would have sufficed. But the risk is that there will be some bonding with the skin, like the roof of a blister, and when removed, the dressing will remove that with it.

Either way, daily application and removal of Compeed patches is probably the worst possible way of using these otherwise very useful products.

Compeed is like a miracle for blister treatment and prevention. An artificial callus.
I know that Compeed suggest that their blister treatment can be used to prevent blisters forming. I would recommend anyone thinking that they would follow this advice read what @Rebecca Rushton has to say about this on her website. She has also posted earlier in this thread, and being a typical Aussie, has been very cautious about complying with Rule 3. Given that she has created one of the best blister management and treatment resources available on the web, I'm quite happy to recommend that you read her treatment advice.

edit: @Rebecca Rushton also shows how to use a dressing like Fixomull to cover the top of a hydro-colloidal dressing like Compeed to both keep the dressing from lifting, and in the process, stop the adhesive sticking all over one's socks.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use foot glide but mine must not be the same as yours. Mine is slick, slightly waxy. Works very well. I wash my clothes by hand in the evening with just a few sprinkles of powder Tide. No gooey accumulation. Buen Camino
I agree. I used the anti chafing stick purchased from REI and used by bicyclists. The consistency of stick deodorant. Did not get any blisters despite not training on consecutive days before my walking trip

I found that wearing a pair of liner socks under my hiking socks was very helpful. The extra layer absorbed the friction instead of my skin. The ones I have are a nylon blend and then I wear Cool Max socks. I also put a thin layer of Vaseline on my feet. There is also an excellent YouTube channel called “Blister Prevention” that has loads of info. The channel is put out by a foot doctor and give info on prevention, care, and treatment of blisters. Good luck.

Hi, I read your post, I've been hiking long distance for years
When you get to a break, take off your boots let your feet rest and dry put on a pair of clean dry socks, talcum powder helps, you're getting blisters because your feet are wet and sliding around inside your socks. If you're doing a Camino when the average temperature is over about 75 or 80°, wearing Gore-Tex is like putting your feet in plastic bags. Try non-gortex boots it's okay if they get wet they'll dry quickly. Have fun when Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For what this is worth.....

I walked half of The Camino a few years back. On one part of the journey, I recall meeting a fellow Pelegrina along the way and I enjoyed the chat we were having while walking to the next town together. For whatever reason, I chose not to stop to change my socks/liners -- when I likely should have -- as not to disrupt our conversation and/or stay on pace with her. It was likely only 15-30+ minutes delayed, but boy oh boy, did I regret that rookie mistake! So for what it is worth just remember walking in pairs/groups can be enjoyable, but immediately stop when you need to do so and don't get distracted by the buddy/group and/or "I'll do it when I get to the next town." mindset.

Never had blisters on Camino.
Not one....
Now completing fourth Camino of close to 1,200 kms.
Again no blisters.
There are lots of prevention strategies.
This is the one that works for me.

@Robo Love all your videos!!!

So much good advice already! So here is my two cents worth.
Blisters or no blisters, are not only the result of the right shoes, socks etc for your individual feet but the ‘health’ of the feet themselves.
For people with squished up toes, bunions, fallen arches, etc blisters might be nearly unavoidable. Hence all the more detailed preventative strategies already mentioned are essential.
For those of us who walked barefoot for much of our childhood and have ‘yoga’ feet and toes, the correct fitting shoes/boots and socks are as much prevention as we need.
I am so grateful for my ‘yoga’ feet and can take little credit for walking blister free Caminos - although I have had a few tiny ones.
Even so, I always take hiking sandals like Tevos as my other footwear - so I can swap them with my Merrells if and when needed.
Buen Camino ❤️😀

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great to hear about everyone's experience about one thing and another, shoes, habits, stuff, THIS and THATS... but for me, this is too much to deal with, I just have to trust myself, can't - or have time - to follow all these thousands of advice, or think "oh, I should do so and so instead"... support for those who say that "do as you usually do".. Paula says: "discouraged at the thought of working out a new shoe and or sock combo" from me: take a break, its a big chance you might just have the right ones, a bit of rest is maybe all you need... we are not going to the moon either.. sorry, was not ment as a negativ respond, just what I feel :)

Last edited:
Check how often the army guys change their socks ?
And they carry plenty in the pack.
Check and see how many Europeans wear sandals ?
Check if they wear socks in the early morning , have a rest for coffee and change socks or remove as the day warms up.
Check how quick you are going
because
3.5km per hour will be what you walk on the Camino
and
** Vaseline ……it stops the rubbing …..which causes friction ….which result in blisters.

My daughter just walked from StJPdP to SdC in Crocs... no blisters and I just walked 220km of the Primitivo in Crocs... no blisters.
Works for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I used the KT tape to wrap each toe, so it was sort of like the silicone toe coverings only I thought more comfortable. I then put my Ingini toe socks on and then my lightweight smartwool socks over those. I had tried everything, Vaseline, glide, Compeed (got super expensive), this for me worked wonders!

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi Paula
I totally feel your pain.
We’ve just finished an 86km/4 day walk. I am now the sad and sorry owner of severe blisters in all sorts of places that have never had them. I wear toe socks, but due to my late change of footwear, ( my Altra Olympus causing Achilles tendonitis ) I seem to have come to grief. I am 3 1/2 months out from CF and in a mild state of panic. Am looking at insole replacement as well as foot glide which I’ve never used. I will watch this thread with interest.
I have Achilles Tendinitis and my podiatrist got me to buy wedges to put in my shoes. It is so much better. Topo shoes was his recommendation as well. Thanks for sharing

Injiinji toe socks - never had a blister and I did many caminos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Won’t be discouraged. Save that for the real Camino! ☺😉 I hiked El Camino Francés seven years ago, all 820 km and never got one blister. I did over 90 km in three days on the Meseta. My trick? Vaseline, Gold Bond powder and changing my socks mid day. It worked for me. I think I put the vaseline on at night, and the powder in the morning. Good luck!

Won’t be discouraged. Save that for the real Camino! ☺😉 I hiked El Camino Francés seven years ago, all 820 km and never got one blister. I did over 90 km in three days on the Meseta. My trick? Vaseline, Gold Bond powder and changing my socks mid day. It worked for me. I think I put the vaseline on at night, and the powder in the morning. Good luck!
Vaselin is good for your feet

Hang in there....I am a runner with calloused feet, but despite preventative measures got blisters- MANY on the camino at one time. That's not meant to scare- just know I bandaged them up with Compeed and they worked for me to walk- I never missed a day and went full French way plus Finisterre so they do not have to be a deal breaker.
I realize you aren't asking for advice- but I wish I would've packed compeed bandaids as they were expensive to keep buying there. I did take my compeed bandaids off every night- some say to leave on, but I have heard stories of infections under so it was a process each morning to rebandage. If I ever felt a "hot spot" I stopped immediately to bandage. I popped the worst ones at night and it helped too. Buying shoes 1/2 to full size bigger helps also- wish I would've heeded that advice as my feet were swollen. I used frozen peas at night to help reduce swelling and I always took my shoes off at lunch and once done for the day wore Birks.

My experience, age 70, footwear, one size larger than normal, Vaseline, on friction spots, two pairs of thin socks, which absorbs sweat, flip powder to absorb sweat. Change out socks at noon.

Plenty of room for the feed and as dry as possible.

I just came home from Rome walking the VIA FRANCIGENA
Blessings, Gregor Smith,
Tacoma, Washington

Buying shoes 1/2 to full size bigger helps also- wish I would've heeded that advice as my feet were swollen. I used frozen peas at night to help reduce swelling and I always took my shoes off at lunch and once done for the day wore Birks.
One of the reasons why there europeans who walk from their homes , in many cases 1000's of km's away use sandals .
The feet can swell , you adjust.
And I concur with the shoes off.
If you change your socks ever few hours , as instructed in the army , the shoes automatically come off.
** And don't forget the creek , stream or little tub with cold water at days end ..........required bliss

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everybody has their own blister prevention system. I won't bore you with mine.
But here is a ton of very good blister prevention information from @Rebecca Rushton:

And @Flatlander's post hit the nail on the head. Blisters and challenges are inevitable. The camino can transform how we relate to them, if we let it.

So how good you have this happening now, and not later! Dress rehersal, and there's time to adjust.

I second the sandals idea. I walked seven caminos, six in Keens - watershoes or sturdy sandals. The first camino in shoes was carnage, but the only time I've gotten blisters since was when I thought to try a closed shoe again. That lasted a painful week.

You might consider a separate thread about possible suggstions for whatever unique configuration of foot you have. Finding the right fit can definitely be a hurdle. And lots of folks here have tried lots of shoes. So you'll get suggestions!
I'm also a fan of Rebecca Rushton. Her videos discuss the different types and causes of blisters. And more importantly how to treat the different types. I also purchased her blister kit for my Camino in 2019 and thankfully only had to use it once for myself, a miracle as I suffered badly from blisters on my previous two
Caminos. Some of the items in the kit couldn't be purchased in Spain but helped alleviate my fellow walkers' pain. Lastly, I did a lot of shoe research and changed my shoes. Drew has walked the camino
so understands the terrain and challenges.

Last edited:
Lastly, I did a lot of shoe research and changed my shoes. Scott has walked the camino
so understands the terrain and challenges.
Great to have this list, thanks!
And...I'd love to know what he tried, because there are many other options besides trail runners - sandals (Keens), or shoes made by companies catering to walkers/hikers and climbers, not just runners (like Oboz). Not to mention European brands.

Great to have this list, thanks!
And...I'd love to know what he tried, because there are many other options besides trail runners - sandals (Keens), or shoes made by companies catering to walkers/hikers and climbers, not just runners (like Oboz). Not to mention European brands.
I went with the Salomon Sense Ride 3 Wide trail shoe and only had one blister in 40 days on CF and weeks of training. Worn them out and am on my second pair and happily walking on stony trails and not getting blisters. On my first two Caminos, I suffered very badly from blisters.
Link to Drew's original Camino (CF) packing list which includes the shoes he walked in - https://trailtopeak.com/2018/09/28/my-comprehensive-camino-de-santiago-packing-list/
And because it's hard to navigate here is the link to his wife's ultimate hiking gear lists

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

1. You stated that you were walking with someone. Walking at a pace faster than your natural pace is a probable culprit for the blister. So it is important that you walk at your pace. There is no danger for the faster person to walk slower.
2. You mention discomfort. There are always tell tale signs that you will get a blister. As soon as you feet send you such signal, STOP and fix whatever it is.
3. Do NOT overly panic about getting blisters. Use this opportunity to learn to bandage the blister so that you can walk. In 2018, I walk the Camino Frances with multiple blisters. It is doable. I got better at putting bandages so that I could walk.
4. My blisters were do to the fact that my shoes were wrong. In 2019, I walked the Camino Frances again but with different shoes and NOT ONE BLISTER. BUT it was not only the shoes.
5. STEPS TO PREVENT BLISTERS:
a) Apply paper medical tape where you usually have a hot spot (usual place where you get blisters). A hot spot is where friction happens. Likewise for hard spots - a hard spot is usually because your shoes are too tight or too small..
b) After the tape on the specific areas, apply underarm antiperspirant to your feet. Rub it in.
c) After antiperspirant application, put a few small dabs of petroleum jelly on your feet. Spread it around.
d) Put on your liner sock - synthetic or wool blend.
e) Put your cushioned wool sock.
f) Put on your shoes. They should be snugged but overly tight to the point that it causes a hot spot nor overly loose that allows friction.
g) MEASURE YOUR FEET even if you think you know what size you wear! And get a 1/2 to 1 full size bigger depending on the shoes. The size bigger is for room in the toe box. This is especially important to prevent black toe. Shoes should be highly breathable to allow ventilation.

Hope this helps and buen camino

Last edited:
Keep in mind that it’s not just friction—your foot is always moving within the shoe so there is always some level of friction. It’s when that friction point comes under pressure resulting in shear force which causes a separation between the surface of the skin and the underlying tissue. The blister itself is actually the body trying to protect that area of separation. Blisters are far more likely to occur in a tight vs a looser fitting shoe. Socks, particular when they are moist or wet, can effectively grab the skin surface and pull it away from the underlying tissue layer. Rebecca’s website recommended by Dougfitz will give you a whole new understanding of blisters. Not to sound too hyperbolic but her blister explanations changed my life when I ordered her book 7 years ago. The same info is available on her website.

It's not unusual for people who don't have problems with blisters when doing long hikes on the weekend to develop blisters when walking long distances on consecutive days. I always recommend doing exactly what you are doing and do at least three consecutive days of long walks to suss out where you may have issues, so that you know your trouble spots and how to address them.

There are a number of strategies that you can use on the problem areas. Some people like to use Vaseline or an anti friction stick like Foot Glide. Others like to tape their problem areas. (I'm partial to Omnifix tape which is thin and flexible) another option that hasn't been mentioned much on the forum is Engo patches that attach inside your shoes at friction trouble spots. They are available on Amazon.
I am also partial to Omnifix tape--worn before any problem. It is a flexible tape and you cut off the amount you need. I wrap it around the ball of my feet. I also wrap Medipore tape around any of my toes that tend to have problems. No blisters in a very long time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.