• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm so ready for this..

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
After losing one of my very best friends to a stroke (40 years old!) last week I was really questioning my strength both mentally and spiritually and my ability to walk the Camino Frances in 20 more days. Before I lost her I was so busy getting ready for this pilgrimage and then all of a sudden my world stopped. It has been one of the hardest weeks of my life, but I think I'm starting to bounce back a bit. Now more than ever I need this. I know she would tell me to go, in fact I think I feel her nudge? I'm going with an open mind, an open heart, and a determination like I've never known before. While I will be walking the Camino alone, I know she will be with me and I'm hoping to meet many new friends along the way. Life is short, and we never know how short. With this in mind, I must go on as planned and not take for granted that I can 'always do it next year'. The time is now.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tammy Lynn,

A friend is a treasure and I am sorry for your loss and for her family who must also be in shock. My guess is that your friend will be very much present with you on this Camino as you think of past conversations with her or have experiences that you wish you could tell her about. Remember that as your departure time gets even closer, it is very, very "normal" to have doubts about your abilities/wisdom in beginning this journey. Just ride it out and get on the plane.

That said, once you arrive, there is no need to leave Pamplona until you feel ready to start walking. Give yourself a little time to get over 9 hours of jet lag and first time traveler fears. Take time to just savor being in Spain. Give your soul time to catch up with your body. Linger over a cup of coffee and watch pilgrims walking by and know that that is you, also. Take this journey one step at a time.

Buen Camino,
Nancy (from Oregon)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Tammy Lynn - if you haven't already decided to dedicate your pilgrimage to a loved-one, what about dedicating it to your friend? I dedicated my pilgrimage last year to my Mum and Dad for giving me my life and my thoughts and memories about them as I walked were the biggest comfort and brought me such happiness. I lit candles for them and said many prayers for them along The Way. At the Compostela Office you can write your dedication in the large and very beautiful register ... there will always be a little of you and your friend in Santiago de Compostela.
All the very best for your Camino - Jenny (Sydney, Australia)

What a great way to approach your journey. I'm sure we're all wishing the best for you as you walk with your friend by your side. Very sorry to read of your loss. Walking with an open mind and heart will bring many blessings to those who won't see and appreciate each step as you will.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

I am sorry for your loss. I don't think we always realize how we help others by sharing what we are going through in life. It somehow helps to hear what others are going through is similar to your own life trials. My mother had a massive stroke and passed away in January. She was much older than your friend, but it was very difficult to lose her. I will dedicate my Camino in October to her.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for your encouraging words. You are all so kind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice, it truly helps talking to people who 'get' the Camino and the power of healing and rejuvenation behind it! This Camino is for Hallee, she never got the opportunity to leave the states, so I'm taking her with me in my heart and in my thoughts. Thanks again my friends.

Hi TammyLynn

So sorry to read about your loss. But as you said, Hallee will be with you, in mind and spirit, on your journey, on your pilgrimage.

And as Mark Twain said once...

Life is short, break the rules
Forgive quickly, kiss slowly.
Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably.
And never regret anything
That makes you smile.

Buen Camino

Very sorry about your loss. A couple of thoughts: There are some that benefit tremendously in times of loss from stepping outside and be by themsleves. Then, there are others who in turn benefit more from staying put and be surrounded by a familiar support system. You will find out for sure which one you are in more ways than one by embarking on this journet having endure such a loss. During the Camino there are, literally and physically, high and lows. Stay strong because if anything the Camino teaches you that good or bad nothing last forever. Take a picture/familiar memento associated with your friend with you. It will help you stay focused. Know also that if you are dedicating this journey to her make it a happy, fulfilling, and a memorable one in her honor.

I feel sad reading about the sudden loss of your friend Hallee. I can only imagine your grief. I hope you won't mind my commenting on these words that you wrote: "I must go on as planned..." I truly believe that the only thing you MUST do is BE yourself; and you just might not be (or feel) tomorrow who (what) you are today. Which is entirely, perfectly and understandably OK.

Tammy Lynn, I am so sad to hear of the loss of your dear friend. This will truly be an important and meaningful journey for you.

I am wondering if you know about the Cross of Iron on the Way? It's a place where people stop to set down a symbol of their Camino journey. Traditionally it's a small stone brought from home, which symbolizes the burdens we carry in life. Nowadays people bring all kinds of mementos, and often they are left along the trail well before the Iron Cross.

Is there something you can bring with you from home that symbolizes and acknowledges that Hallee is with you on this journey? Of course she is with in spirit, but maybe you can bring something you can hold in your hand as you walk, or attach to your backpack?

We will all be with you in spirit, and perhaps our paths will cross - I will be on the Camino from September 14 to October 20, in different parts. Wishing you a beautiful Camino...

TammyLynn,

I definitely think your friend will be with you along the trail. My mother passed away over 8 years ago. I often feel her presence around me but not as consistently as I did along the Camino. There has always been "signs" that I know she's around such as a hummingbird, certain songs, etc. On the first days walk, a car passed on the path (dirt service road). I paid no attention. Five minutes later, the car came back down the road and I noticed on the side there was a hummingbird incorporated into the logo. Could have been chance but I think it was my mom letting me know she was there on the journey with me. I hope you have a wonderful pilgrimage. She will be with you. Buen Camino!
Courtney

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back