• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iMiam app: Miam Miam Dodo for iPhone

billmclaughlin

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP/Burgos 2012; Le Puy/SJPP 2013; Aumont Aubrac/Aire sur l'Adour 2014; Burgos/Santiago 2016.
Has anyone else purchased the application for iPhone "iMiam" covering the Le Puy to SJPP route?

I'm enjoying experimenting with it, though it has some navigation issues and the interface is somewhat clunky. I'm fairly confidant I'll be able to leave the print version at home now. But I will be sending them some comments on usability. And I find stopping at the French border a tad mean-spirited, maybe just because I hope to finish in Roncevaux.

BTW it cost me USD12.74.

--Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, as a fan of the paper based version I bought it as soon as it was available, even though I won't be using it this year. Like you, I hope they also make the other routes they cover available in the App, and I'm particularly keen to see SJPDP to Santiago (Muxia) included.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hallelujah! I should also point out that the Maps app, when fed the correct street address in the correct format (varies with country), will SHOW you where your lodging is, and how to walk there. This solves the most dreaded hour of the day, that end-of-the-day grind to find the gite.

How did you do that? I've bought the app and can't seem to do anything but get a map?

Seymoursmum said:
How did you do that? I've bought the app and can't seem to do anything but get a map?
I had problems initially, the App still needs work. Try touching the "introduction" button, for some reason that takes me into the map with cartes for each section. Seems to be the only way I can get in. Mine still requires an Internet connection which is silly. I don't speak French so can't really communicate with the developers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Seymoursmum:

The app is free. If that is what you have, you then have to use the app to display the map of France that shows a pindrop at Le Puy. If you click on that you are asked if you want to buy the guide. I was pretty puzzled too, especially a few weeks ago when I found my way to the point of purchase and was told the guide either was not yet or was no longer available. Good luck!

Kanga :

As it happens I am starting at Le Puy this year, so this is exactly the route I need. I just wish they'd add a few kilometers of Spain! While I know lots of people start and stop in SJPP, I also know I'm not the only one who wants to end by crossing the Pyrenees. Even though I started in SJPP and crossed the Pyrenees last year, I can't imagine getting to SJPP and looking up into the mountains....and getting on the train to Bayonne.

You are right that once you have the guide you have to "enter" through that map of the entire route that takes a long time to load. If I had the email address for giving feedback, I'd explain that I want to go straight to the list of maps. How often does one want to see the entire route?

I just tested access without an internet connection and it works properly, just as advertised, though the loading of that map of France with the 80+ red rectangles along the route seems even slower in that mode. Not sure what else to say about that.

--Bill

Perfect. Thank you all. I think I have it going ( back to back meetings so I can't explore) roll on August .....

MMD is the best but still not quite enough, look for the easy to find and inexpensive Michelin guide: Chemins de Compostelle Le Puy>SJPP number 161 available in every Tabac-bookstore-kiosk-and many other unlikely places from Le Puy until SJPP. The booklet, its quite small pocket sized also offers topography better distances and best larger maps should you decide for a side trip or inexplicably get lost.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you actually have to buy MMDD after you download the app? It seems that the free app only provides a shell for the ebook. What's the point of the app?

You answered your own question, I think. The free app is the shell - think of it as your MMDD bookshelf.

Then you purchase the guide or guides you want to put on the shelf for handy access.. It's just the fact that there's only one guide available at the moment that makes the app/shell seem like an extra bit.

Bill

Sorry to be the only fly in the ointment, my greatest blessing whenever I walk whichever Camino I happen to be on is my selective inaccessibility. I never ever carry a phone in order to never ever be tempted to reconnect with what passes for reality off the Camino. It is a glorious feeling of freedom, of irresponsibility, of detachment which is always absolutely glorious and frees the mind for far more important subjects to explore. MMD is a small book weighs less than the option described here and you can listen to the advice offered or ignore it as you so choose-an unheard of behavior for 90% of all cellular phone owners. Every few days a visit to a Public library, or in many gites, and often bars will alow one a short time to pop online to assure everyone that the bears haven't eaten me to see that nothing catastrophic has occurred within the family and sign off-more than enough!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just upgraded my phone and lost the guide, but I was able to download it again without charge, so that's cool.

I think I've noticed a few small updates, which is interesting. One of the advantages of electronics is the ability to provide ad hoc updates. Looks like I stumbled upon it.

Add another fly in the ointment Scruffy,
Only take the old mobile with sim card from country we are in to get text from kids if anything is wrong at home.
If no text all is well and so am i , away from the 24hr news cycle .
They never send a message if all is well .......let them have a holiday is the word at home.

The best info we ever receive is from the little cafe's/bars within the villages.
If you listen to the locals you are on the right tract.
Some wonderful accommodation has arisen from these chats as well as the best walks/routes from same village.Just the little detours to avoid those hills....which the french love on the GR65 :D

Has anyone else purchased the application for iPhone "iMiam" covering the Le Puy to SJPP route?

I'm enjoying experimenting with it, though it has some navigation issues and the interface is somewhat clunky. I'm fairly confidant I'll be able to leave the print version at home now. But I will be sending them some comments on usability. And I find stopping at the French border a tad mean-spirited, maybe just because I hope to finish in Roncevaux.

BTW it cost me USD12.74.

--Bill
Yes I have just bought it. The App is free and the map GR 65 is about A$13.00
Great app.
I am waiting for the paper version from CSJ, but may be leaving before it arrives so I am glad to have the App.

One problem. I cannot find distances between town on the electronic version.

Can anyone help with this ?

Many thanks,
JoJoJo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think there are capabilities that can't be properly explored until one is on the route.

If I start with the option "Acces aux plans" and then choose a map -- I just chose Plan 43 Lascabanes -- a new icon is highlighted at the bottom of the screen, something that looks like a signpost with arrows pointing left and right. If I choose that icon, my iPhone opens Google maps and wants to calculate the route from my location to that map. It fails because it can't compute that since my location is in the US. So that seems to be a way to calculate from one's location to (the center of?) a map.....but I'll play that when I'm in Le Puy on September 11.

I like the app for the accommodations info, with easy links to telephone numbers and email addresses. I hope not to need a map when walking and to use the Michelin map for day to day planning, like getting my head around what the next day's terrain is like. Its distance information is fine for my purposes. That at least is what I'm hoping.

Bill

Yes I have just bought it. The App is free and the map GR 65 is about A$13.00
Great app.
I am waiting for the paper version from CSJ, but may be leaving before it arrives so I am glad to have the App.

One problem. I cannot find distances between town on the electronic version.

Can anyone help with this ?

Many thanks,
JoJoJo.
What is the CSJ and where can I get the paper version in the US? When I look on Amazon it is outrageously priced.

What is the CSJ and where can I get the paper version in the US? When I look on Amazon it is outrageously priced.

Lisa CSJ. is the Confraternity of StJames in London. They have a bookshop The Miam Miam Dodo cost about 17 pounds steering

They have lots of wonderful information on their site o all the Caminos

Cheers Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Lisa CSJ. is the Confraternity of StJames in London. They have a bookshop The Miam Miam Dodo cost about 17 pounds steering

They have lots of wonderful information on their site o all the Caminos

Cheers Jo

I think there are capabilities that can't be properly explored until one is on the route.

If I start with the option "Acces aux plans" and then choose a map -- I just chose Plan 43 Lascabanes -- a new icon is highlighted at the bottom of the screen, something that looks like a signpost with arrows pointing left and right. If I choose that icon, my iPhone opens Google maps and wants to calculate the route from my location to that map. It fails because it can't compute that since my location is in the US. So that seems to be a way to calculate from one's location to (the center of?) a map.....but I'll play that when I'm in Le Puy on September 11.

I like the app for the accommodations info, with easy links to telephone numbers and email addresses. I hope not to need a map when walking and to use the Michelin map for day to day planning, like getting my head around what the next day's terrain is like. Its distance information is fine for my purposes. That at least is what I'm hoping.

Bill

Thank you Bill. I have tried what you said, and it works beautifully

Cheers Jo

After using the iMiam app for Le Puy to SJPP in Sept/Oct 2013, I sent an email to the folks at MMDD with some complaints and suggestions.
I hope others will do that too.

Here's what I wrote:

1. Redesign the page d'acceuil. The white text superimposed on the fuzzy shell is difficult to read and the options should be spaced further apart. Why use only part of the screen space available?

2. The popups that announce that one is near a gite, restaurant, or tourist office are not helpful. Frequently one must answer "non" three or four times in order to get to the underlying map. Perhaps the user could be given the option: don't show me this sort of notice again.

3. Add more variants to the Trace du GR65. For example, the variant leaving Estaing, the variant entry into Barcelonne du Gers through Arblade le Bas, and the variant near Noailhac that passes the Chapelle St. Roch.

4. Consider how the function "guides disponible" works. Why does it lead to a map with a pin on Le Puy rather than a simple list?

5. Consider adding a few points of interest to either the Trace or the Plans maps. For example Larressingle.

6. You seem to limit the number of pastilles that display when listing the detailed information for a gite. Why? I needed to use the print version to be certain I knew which gite had wifi. The entry for a gite should be as complete as the print edition.

More than anything, I'm hoping to see other guides in this format, especially Arles to Puenta la Reina.

Bill

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A version with multiple languages, including English would be nice for this very popular guide series. One would think that the e-version would have this capability. Oh well, another opportunity to bone up on my rusty French. It's all good...

Has anyone a link to where I can purchase the smartphone friendly Miam Miam Dodo? :)

Hi again
You can get the Miam Miam Dodo from the Apple store. The App is free but you need to buy the GR 65 map for $12.95.
We used it used it last year. It was brilliant. We had purchased the book but it did not arrive in time.

It made our trip from Le Puy really enjoyable. It was easy to use and it made booking ahead so easy.

Booking ahead in France seems be the norm unlike Spain .
I used it on my I Pad so the maps were easy to read.

The only book we used was the little green Mitchillin book which is sold in every little shop on the route.
I would certainly recommend it .. Jojojo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Might sound like a daft question (!), but does the app have everything the paper book does-ie: lists of all accommodation, tel. numbers, etc as well as maps?
I'm heading off from about July 7th 2014 and incredibly excited! Walked the Camino Frances in 2012.

Might sound like a daft question (!), but does the app have everything the paper book does-ie: lists of all accommodation, tel. numbers, etc as well as maps?
I'm heading off from about July 7th 2014 and incredibly excited! Walked the Camino Frances in 2012.

Hi Heather Yes the app has all the information you will need for your walk. That plus the little Green Michelin book is all we used last year. Have a great trip. Wish we were doing it again this year. Jo

Hi Heather Yes the app has all the information you will need for your walk. That plus the little Green Michelin book is all we used last year. Have a great trip. Wish we were doing it again this year. Jo
Thanks Jo; yes, I'm very fortunate to be going.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Heather. I see you are an Aussi also.
I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Are you travelling solo or with friends ?
We also did the Camino Frances in 2012. We may have crossed paths then!
We had a great time.
The Le Puy trip is totally different to the Spanish walk in lots of ways
We did not like having to book accomodation ahead, but soon got used to it using the phone numbers provided in the App.
It was necessary to book ahead. We did not do so for the first few days, and had to walk an unplanned 12 km extra as all the Gites were full. France was a little more expensive than Spain but the scenery more than made up for that. Happy trip.

Yes, an Aussie based in Melbourne. I did the Frances from end of Sept 19th-end of October. And you?
Thanks for the advice. H

Hi again Heather. We did the Camino Frances end of Aug to end of Sept. 2012. We had perfect weather. That trip unexpectedly hooked us for ever !!! . We plan to go back next year. This year we have a other commitments so walks are on hold. Bye again Bon Voyage Jo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know if there is going to be a 2014 guide for the app?

Antoinette

Hello,
I downloaded iMiam and it works fine on my iPhone, but I want it on my iPad mini
Hi again
You can get the Miam Miam Dodo from the Apple store. The App is free but you need to buy the GR 65 map for $12.95.
We used it used it last year. It was brilliant. We had purchased the book but it did not arrive in time.

It made our trip from Le Puy really enjoyable. It was easy to use and it made booking ahead so easy.

Booking ahead in France seems be the norm unlike Spain .
I used it on my I Pad so the maps were easy to read.

The only book we used was the little green Mitchillin book which is sold in every little shop on the route.
I would certainly recommend it .. Jojojo.
Hi there,
I downloaded the app and bought the map,apparently;y successfully, but the only page I can access in it is the "buy the app" page - seems it wants me to keep buying over and over.
Help please?

I just downloaded the app for my iPad mini. I got the app but cant buy the GR65 map. I get a message 'your configuration does not allow for purchase'. Is this app only for iPhone's ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
I downloaded iMiam and it works fine on my iPhone, but I want it on my iPad mini

Hi there,
I downloaded the app and bought the map,apparently;y successfully, but the only page I can access in it is the "buy the app" page - seems it wants me to keep buying over and over.
Help please?

I am having exactly the same problem. I downloaded the free shell and then purchased the guide. The only page that comes up is the "Guides disponibles" page. When I click on the Le Puy pin, it tells me I need the 2014 edition and takes me to the page to purchase it. At the bottom of that page is a message saying that the guide is already installed on my machine. Okey dokey. But where? Can anyone illuminate me?

€46,-
Hello everybody !

About the Miam Miam Dodo :
For information : since few days, it's possible to use the application of the guide "Miam Miam Dodo". For the moment, it's in french, but it will be translate soon (in about 2 months).
For the moment, you can only download it from France. But that will change very soon
3 guides for the moment : GR65 Le Puy-Cahors, GR65 Cahors-Roncevaux, GR6 GR46 Voies du Célé et de Rocamadour

- vidéo of présentation :

- for Android :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levieuxcrayon.mmdd

- for Apple :
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1357584636

Bonne journée et Bon Chemin !

PS : sorry... my tailor is rich, but my english... not. :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back