• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Immunisations

Cecy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
Hi, can someone tell me what, if any, vaccinations I would need to travel to the Camino? I am traveling from Houston

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nothing special really. But I would suggest to keep your Tetanus jabs up to date, but that you should do anyway. There are no specific health risks that need immunisation on the Camino. Buen Camino, SY

PS Sadly, or gladly, there hasn't been invented yet any successful vaccination against the incurable Camino Virus that draws pilgrims back to the Camino year after year :cool:

Nothing special really. But I would suggest to keep your Tetanus jabs up to date, but that you should do anyway. There are no specific health risks that need immunisation on the Camino. Buen Camino, SY

PS Sadly, or gladly, there hasn't been invented yet any successful vaccination against the incurable Camino Virus that draws pilgrims back to the Camino year after year :cool:
I cant remember when in got my last one for that lol

Well Im about to get that virus, and God only knows whats gonna happen after I come back

I really appreciate all your information, as you can see I have a lot of questions, sorry!

Because im travelling alone I have to make a good plan!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Feel free to fire away with any further questions you might have ;-) But seriously, get that Tetanus vaccination up to date, not only for the Camino, but also for daily life. It is an easily prevented disease with vaccination, but once you have it, the mortality rate is bad :( SY

And don't get your Tetanus booster jab the day before starting the Camino. I had to get my repeat jab ( every ten years ) last year. Had forgotten all about it so GP gave it to me day before leaving. Upper arm was stiff for two days making the wear of my pack a bit uncomfortable.

Yup, what @SabineP said, get it out of the To-Do list well before you have to put a backpack on your shoulders. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And don't get your Tetanus booster jab the day before starting the Camino. I had to get my repeat jab ( every ten years ) last year. Had forgotten all about it so GP gave it to me day before leaving. Upper arm was stiff for two days making the wear of my pack a bit uncomfortable.

Getting it next week...get it out of the way lol

Out of the way of the camino (way). Well done! SY

Hi, can someone tell me what, if any, vaccinations I would need to travel to the Camino? I am traveling from Houston
I have always checked the WHO advice or CDC (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list) for complete advice on this topic. Your own doctor should also be able to tell you about your current immunization status and what you need to bring up to date.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you find it,and post about it here, I will contact admins in order to have you excluded from this forum...;)

Make sure you are up to date with tetanus for yourself. And I would also consider influenza and pertussis. Especially if you are flying in for several hours on a plane because the various organisms get several chances to get into your system via the aircon. I would feel terrible if I contacted whooping cough along the way and passed it on to a young child or baby or an elderly person. Ditto for flu with pregnant women. We are more likely to bring something in with us to Spain than get something there, but if we do catch something we have the real potential to spread it throughout the countryside especially in albergues.

Make sure you are up to date with tetanus for yourself. And I would also consider influenza and pertussis. Especially if you are flying in for several hours on a plane because the various organisms get several chances to get into your system via the aircon. I would feel terrible if I contacted whooping cough along the way and passed it on to a young child or baby or an elderly person. Ditto for flu with pregnant women. We are more likely to bring something in with us to Spain than get something there, but if we do catch something we have the real potential to spread it throughout the countryside especially in albergues.
Thank you, i got my flu shot last oct, i will talk too my dr about pertussis

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interesting, I've never even considered any shots. I don't think any are necessary for the trip (only based on personal experience).

On my first walk, my mother told me in Astorga to relocate my chosen bunkbed away from some man who was coughing loudly. That kind of common sense seems to work out fine, for me at least. Of course I am not a doctor, or nurse, nor do I play one on TV.

Before my Camino I had immunizations for influenza, hepatitis A & B, pneumonia, and tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis which was recommended for my medical history...but for me it was more important to have antibiotics to take everyday to prevent common colds from being in a new enviornment.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The common cold is a viral infection, so why antibiotics? Just curious, SY
Bone marrow transplant for leukemia so every time I go to a new environment (airport, city, country, etc.) I have no immunity to the local common colds mostly in the form of upper respiratory infections although on the Camino I got some type of stomach virus that made it very difficult to eat the last two weeks.

Bone marrow transplant for leukemia so every time I go to a new environment (airport, city, country, etc.) I have no immunity to the local common colds mostly in the form of upper respiratory infections although on the Camino I got some type of stomach virus that made it very difficult to eat the last two weeks.
I, too, wonder how antibiotics help you against viral infections. Or are you continually on antibiotics for some other reason?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Interesting, I've never even considered any shots. I don't think any are necessary for the trip (only based on personal experience).
If one's immunizations are up to date and complete, that should be sufficient for travel to Europe, although for some activities and travel in remote areas, the CDC recommends both Hep A and B, and rabies when visiting Spain.

Sorry to hear that @Kurt Huffman but also very glad for you that you are now well enough to walk the Camino! Buen Camino, SY

I, too, wonder how antibiotics help you against viral infections. Or are you continually on antibiotics for some other reason?
I am fine in my own environment but I have no prior immunity to childhood illnesses (mumps, measles, chickenpox, etc.) so when I travel I am at risk to variations of common illnesses and the first time I went to France I was sick for six months with a virus similar to mononucleosis...but I did fine in Spain just had a little difficulty eating due to a stomach virus although I drank mostly bottled water or used water purification tablets and I never ate any food that was previously prepared like any of that great tapas sitting out on the bars...but I saw the movie and I knew that I had to complete the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Muxia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All of western Europe are modern countries with health standards as good if not better than the US. Spain is also very good in marking drinking water sources that are not fit to drink. Food borne illness can happen anywhere and does. My wife and I just returned from Kenya. We ate at 4 star and what star restaurants with no problems. The day we get back both of us were hit with a 24 hour bug. Airline food. Go figure. Have you seen the kitchens in any Texas Bar B-Q joint?
A tetanus every ten year is the norm almost everywhere and a yearly flu shot is also advisable. See your doctor and get both. Practice good personnel hygiene, wash your hands often with soap and water. As far as taking antibiotics for prophylactic (just in case) purposes, Unless proscribed by a doctor, it's a very bad idea. Antibiotics are designed to target very specific diseases and misuse results in super bugs..
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

If one's immunizations are up to date and complete, that should be sufficient for travel to Europe, although for some activities and travel in remote areas, the CDC recommends both Hep A and B, and rabies when visiting Spain.
I am walking in September and my doctor just recommended that I get the Hep A & B shots before going. I had no idea that she would recommend these, but when I went to the CDC site, they did recommend for Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
as posts occur on illness on the Camino, I thought I would give this a thread a bump. also here is a link you can follow to see reported cases of influenza across Europe:
http://flunewseurope.org/
we are headed into the flu season
everyone of course should check with their physician (well) before travel to be sure your immunizations are up to date...well before because some need boosters, and also because some might make your arm ache for a few days. IMO tetanus and influenza are ones everyone should be sure are current ...tetanus because you can easily cut yourself on a gate, or if walking in trail runners, step on a nail...and influenza because it's crowded in the albergues (who knows, someday it may be so crowded on the Frances they'll do as they do for the Hajj and require meningitis vaccination:eek:)...personally, I'd make sure diptheria and maybe measles are up to date for the same crowded reasons but everyone's needs are different so a visit to a physician is important. I put 'checking with physician prior to travel' just after footwear and before pack in the list of high priority for camino planning.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
it is an unfortunate trend in the United States not to vaccinate your children, so there is a good portion of children and adults who have not been vaccinated.

edit: recent large outbreak was associated with visitors to Disneyland
http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

Unfortunate indeed!

Well, did some googling about situation in my country and seems only polio vaccination is mandatory. But we have a very high rate of voluntary vaccinations for all other diseases here anyway.
http://be.brussels/living-in-brussels/health-and-safety/vaccination

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hepatitis A is good especially given the recent D&V outbreak! ADT covers tetanus and diphtheria. MMR = measles, mumps and rubella. Pertussis (whooping cough) is good because most people's immunity is wearing off and there is a high incidence in the US and certain areas of Australia due to non-vaxers. I'd hate for people to bring it into a village from outside because the people most at risk are babies and the very old getting from people who care for them. So let's up the herd immunity...

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back