• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Impromptu Pilgrimage from Porto to Santiago

texasmom

Ok...So I find myself with the opportunity to have this summer off! I have a friend in Noia and was thinking of visiting her since I would be able to visit for at least several weeks. I started reading about the pilgrimage to Santiago and am thinking that since I have the time that it would be a fantastic opportunity. I am from a town in Mexico & just happens that the Patron Saint of the town is St. James...so this makes it more meaningful to me!

My question is that I have a 12 year old son that I would love to take with me...is this route difficult for kids? He is not active (actually not fit at all). I would love for him to experience this adventure but am concerned he might not be able to walk 20-30km per day. Since we are not tight for time...are there places to stop for the night if we decide to walk shorter distances?

This would be our first experience on a pilgrimage! I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences on this forum and appreciate any advice!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

Have a look at this on line guide to this route: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

You will see the stretches between accommodations. One or two are significant and the others are around 20kms. But that is on the route. There is much more accommodation along main roads which are never all that far away. You could get a map of the area around the route to see what I mean. If you are confident about going into a bar and asking them to call you a taxi to take you to a roadside hostal and back again the next morning then that would work very well.

The only option if you want to find accommodation at closer intervals is the Camino Frances. Have a look here so see the stages possible of that route:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

Good luck

John

Hi John - Thanks for the quick reply!! I will take a look at both of the sites you mention.

If I decide to make this trip, we would probably go towards the end of June beginning of July. Is it crazy to think that I can plan & prepare for this in such a short time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some people pack a rucksack and go, but generally speaking and especially with your son going along I'd strongly advise against that. I'd get the gear, get both sets of feet used to walking in walking shoes as soon as possible and do as many full day walks as you can in the time carrying your rucksacks. As ever carrying as little as possible is the key to avoiding problems.

Let us know how you are doing if you decide to go for it!

John

Thanks John!

I will most likely have dozens of additional questions....here is the next one:

Is it difficult to find a place to spend the night without reservations or are reservations recommended (although since it's a 'Holy' year, I'm sure getting any reservations this late in the game would be scarce!).

I will keep you posted on my decision!! Thanks for your advice!

Normally getting reservations on this route is straightforward - just call one or two days ahead. But it will be much busier this year. You could start calling now or a few weeks nearer the time. Or use a service like the Camino Travel Centre. I used them to book everything for me for a winter pilgrimage and it worked perfectly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Falcon269,

Thanks!! This is a great site with lots of good information!

I have lots of reading to do & many decisions to make. If this journey is meant to be, I pray I make the right decisions for my family. (I usually work fulltime & do not have the time needed to do something like this.)

I know it is a once in a lifetime experience! Thanks again for the good info!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi,
i just came back from Santiago, walking from Porto (7may- 18may)
it was not crowded. yet :) the albergues, were astonishing, old stone houses, with some modern touch such as libraries, or kitchens, or bathrooms... i had to stop only one day after 10 km-s, because the next city which had a pilgrim albergue was 30 km away. so no problem on the route.
i you are a sea -fan i would advise to take the ocean route: i did not even know about it,a cab driver told me. it was beautiful. you walk in the forests, on hills, along the ocean, some parts of the nature seem untouched along the way.., it is a magic experience!!!!

if you have any further questions you can reach me at mmonomm@yahoo.com

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back