• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In and out of Madrid from Canada, starting in Leon

Deb and John

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2023
Hello fellow pilgrims!
With a fair bit of fantastic information from these forums, we've pulled together a loose travel plan.
One month:
Leon to Santiago - end of September to mid October, 2015 (28 days total ~22 days walking):
Fly in and out of Madrid;
Fast train from Madrid to Leon - prebook (it looks like our train ticket also allows for a free C1 train to Chamartin station from the airport http://www.accesrail.com/pdf/MAD-airport.pdf);
Two nights in Leon - prebook (recoup, pick up pilgrim passports and see a bit of Leon);
City bus to the outskirts of Leon (start our walk);
Fly to Madrid - book on arrival (we've read Iberia may offer a 50% one-way discount for pilgrims, but haven't been able to substantiate)
~2-3 days Madrid
Would appreciate any feedback/insights, in particular recommendations for modest accommodations (clean, close, cost effective, comfortable and quiet - not looking for much!) in Leon, Santiago and Madrid

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One month:
Leon to Santiago - end of September to mid October, 2015 (28 days total ~22 days walking):
Fast train from Madrid to Leon - prebook (it looks like our train ticket also allows for a free C1 train to Chamartin station from the airport http://www.accesrail.com/pdf/MAD-airport.pdf);
Two nights in Leon - prebook (recoup, pick up pilgrim passports and see a bit of Leon);
Fly to Madrid - book on arrival (we've read Iberia may offer a 50% one-way discount for pilgrims, but haven't been able to substantiate)
~2-3 days Madrid
Check for flights into Leon and out of Santiago (often called open jaw or multicities flights). They will hub through Madrid, but you probably save transfer time to buses and trains. I don't recall Madrid to Leon train as a fast train! Easier probably is the bus from T-4 terminal to Leon.

The airline discount for pilgrims is an urban myth.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one I took covered the 340km in 2:57. We must have been on different trains!

The line to Leon is still under construction. High speed routes in 2013:

800px-Red_espa%C3%B1ola_alta_velocidad_png.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to have a wonderful time.

Here are my recommendations:
1) no fast train to Leon, you may want to reconsider this. Bus from the airport is about 6 hours. Don't know about the train, but no fast train.
2) book your flight from Santiago to Madrid with RyanAir: it's always inexpensive, pilgrim or not.
3) In Leon, consider Hospederia monastica Pax (http://www.hospederiapax.com) next door to the Carbajalas albergue. 5 minute walk from the train and bus stations.
4) In Santiago consider Hospederia San Martin Pinario, just across a plaza from the Catherdral. They do have a few simpler rooms at pilgrim rates, but the regular rooms will set you back 40 euros or so for a single, I assume a bit more for a double. Both of these Hospederias will put and keep you in Camino Spirit while in comfort. Look at it as a transition into and out of pilgrim life.

Have a wonderful time!

Hello fellow pilgrims!
With a fair bit of fantastic information from these forums, we've pulled together a loose travel plan.
One month:
~2-3 days Madrid
Would appreciate any feedback/insights, in particular recommendations for modest accommodations (clean, close, cost effective, comfortable and quiet - not looking for much!) in Leon, Santiago and Madrid
- The train to León takes around 4 hours and you would have to get to Chamartin station in Madrid. aLSA buses leave the airport and take a bit longer.
- you will love León. The Colegiata is not the cheapest place in town but worth every penny
- 22 days walking from Leon is plenty of time, you may even get to Santiago earlier
-if you book ahead of time, Ryanair will always be cheaper. I believe Iberia is also charging for luggage now too
- even 4 days in Madrid would be ideal allowing you to daytrip to Toledo, Escorial and/Segovia. The NH hotels in Madrid tend to have fairly good deals and deliver. Then again, booking.com is fairly reliable too.
Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My opinion: take the fast train. It's very inexpensive, very comfortable, and there's really no scenery that you'll miss out on. Imagine taking a train through the prairies. It's miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.
You'll see plenty of scenery while walking! :)

Here are my suggestions and comments (edited and updated)

Fly into and out of Madrid from Canada (might have to head to Toronto, or better still Montreal). KLM and Air Transit services this route.

Take the Madrid airport express (5 euro each) to get to the old centre and stay at one of a number of fine hotels or BBs in the old centre. I can recommend a great BB.

Take the mid morning train to Leon from Madrid (approx 3 hours) and stay as planned. Instead of taking the local bus out of town, simply start your walk from the old cathedral in Leon. It is short, pleasant walk before you reach the burbs, and then countryside. Take the alternate route away from the busy highway to Astorga (2 days away).

22 days is plenty of time. In fact you can probably cover the distance in just over two weeks. If you do, consider walking to the coast to Finisterre via Muxia after you arrive in Santiago. Stay at the Hospederia San Martin Pinario.

28 days is 4 weeks, therefore leave mid September and arrive mid October and hopefully before the rainy weather arrives in Galicia. Madrid will be warm if not hot mid September.

Take the (Edited - no high speed train) regular train back to madrid from Santiago. It costs the same as flying. Leaves about 9:00 am and arrives about 3:00 pm and the trip passes through another part of Spain few get to see. Less hassle and more civilized.

Stay at a nearby airport hotel in Madrid to catch your early morning flight - again I can recommend a place that provides early morning shuttles to the airport.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take the high speed train back to madrid from Santiago.
You will have to wait a while, though. The line is still under construction. As silly as I think high speed rail is, it will be nice to have it in place. It will compete against airplanes, which I do not think will succeed. It has no value for the cities, towns, and villages between major cities.

They do no acknowledge the service on their webpage. By all accounts, the AVE projects are stalled for budgetary reasons, and the link to Leon is still under construction. I do not know what to say about your first hand experience; Renfe is not listing the service for sale!!

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/larga_distancia/productos/

The AVE link from Madrid to Valladolid is open, so maybe the explanation is that you were on high speed track until then. The track from there is low speed track, so the train would just slow down for the last part. The slow train does take about 4 1/2 hours instead of 2 1/2 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
They do no acknowledge the service on their webpage. By all accounts, the AVE projects are stalled for budgetary reasons, and the link to Leon is still under construction. I do not know what to say about your first hand experience; Renfe is not listing the service for sale!!

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/larga_distancia/productos/

Not sure what to say. My only assumption can be is that the speedometer in the cabin that I took the photo of was incorrect. I really don't think it was. We were really moving!!

John and Deb,

Would you like to hear another crazy idea?
If you have the time, don't fly back to Madrid, take the train again. We're leaving SdC tonight heading back to Madrid by train. We've got a sleeper car.
It's a private room with two beds, a private bathroom including a shower, a small sitting area, and access to the "bar car". It leaves fairly late so it gives you a whole extra day in SdC (which is a gorgeous city!) and arrives in Mad-Cham at 8:00 am. It's your transportation and your overnight accommodations! For the two of us, we paid about $250 Euro in total. Can you imagine what that would cost in Canada?? $1500 or so would be my guess, I haven't looked into it.
Anyways, if you're interested I'll let you know how it was!

Ron

Last edited:
The AVE link from Madrid to Valladolid is open, so maybe the explanation is that you were on high speed track until then. The track from there is low speed track, so the train would just slow down for the last part. The slow train does take about 4 1/2 hours instead of 2 1/2 ...

You put this in after I responded. This has to be what happened. We must've transferred to the high speed line for part of it. Mystery solved!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You will have to wait a while, though. The line is still under construction. As silly as I think high speed rail is, it will be nice to have it in place. It will compete against airplanes, which I do not think will succeed. It has no value for the cities, towns, and villages between major cities.

You are correct - the high speed train is still under construction but there is a medium speed train that goes to madrid

You are correct - the high speed train is still under construction but there is a medium speed train that goes to madrid

Medium speed train it is then! We're happy to be still on to prebook a train from Madrid to Leon the same day we arrive, pushing on another 2.5 to 3 hours before we collapse! In terms of timing, we realize 22 days may be more than we need, but with no experience on long walks we wanted to be sure to leave some wiggle room. If we do arrive earlier, walking to Finisterre is an interesting option. Taking the train back is also intriguing, but we'd likely choose a day trip preferring to see the countryside. Spending time in and around Madrid is also high on our bucket list. It will depend on the timing, really. Please do send along any recommendations for BnBs (casas rurales?). We're also open to AirBnB or rentals in Madrid.
Thanks for all the feedback and buen Camino!

Medium speed train it is then! We're happy to be still on to prebook a train from Madrid to Leon the same day we arrive, pushing on another 2.5 to 3 hours before we collapse! In terms of timing, we realize 22 days may be more than we need, but with no experience on long walks we wanted to be sure to leave some wiggle room. If we do arrive earlier, walking to Finisterre is an interesting option. Taking the train back is also intriguing, but we'd likely choose a day trip preferring to see the countryside. Spending time in and around Madrid is also high on our bucket list. It will depend on the timing, really. Please do send along any recommendations for BnBs (casas rurales?). We're also open to AirBnB or rentals in Madrid.
Thanks for all the feedback and buen Camino!

The last flight by Air Transit leaves September 13 and returns October 12. (KLM for example will probably go through Amsterdam in and out of Madrid, meaning a late afternoon arrival in Madrid from Canada, and early morning departure back to Canada from Madrid).

Taking Air Transit instead means you will have enough time to take the mid afternoon train to Leon after you arrive in Madrid.
Upon your return to Madrid from Santiago, you can stay in a BB in the old centre and take the airport express to the airport for the late afternoon flight back to Canada.

Sun, September 13, 2015 - Duration 6h45 Next-day arrival Mon, September 14, 2015
Departure from Montreal (YUL)10:35 PM Arrival in Madrid (MAD) 11:20 AM

Mon, October 12, 2015 - Duration 8h15 Arrival on Mon, October 12, 2015
Departure from Madrid (MAD) 05:30 PM Arrival in Montreal (YUL) 07:45 PM
( you can drive from Montreal to Ottawa and arrive home before 11:00pm)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you desire use Petrabax.com to prebook your train from Madrid to Leon.

www.petrabax.com.

A train leaves Madrid Chamartin at 14:40 and arrives in Leon about 3 hours later. Take the Madrid airport express train from the Madrid airport to the Madrid Chamartin train station

My opinion: take the fast train. It's very inexpensive, very comfortable, and there's really no scenery that you'll miss out on. Imagine taking a train through the prairies. It's miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.
Fast to train to where?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here are my suggestions and comments (edited and updated)

Fly into and out of Madrid from Canada (might have to head to Toronto, or better still Montreal). KLM and Air Transit services this route.
Since you're in Ottawa, Montreal is good only if you can accept Air Transat's fixed dates. Otherwise, if fly AC, you will have to go through Frankfurt which is a huge delay, in a horrible airport, and a pain the neck. And KLM does not leave from MTL. I now fly Air Transat to Madrid or Bilbao, even if I cannot use point or miss out of adding to them. Now, you could fly from YYL to a number of cities that then offer ultracheap flights into Spain: just work it backwards.

Since you're in Ottawa, Montreal is good only if you can accept Air Transat's fixed dates. Otherwise, if fly AC, you will have to go through Frankfurt which is a huge delay, in a horrible airport, and a pain the neck. And KLM does not leave from MTL. I now fly Air Transat to Madrid or Bilbao, even if I cannot use point or miss out of adding to them. Now, you could fly from YYL to a number of cities that then offer ultracheap flights into Spain: just work it backwards.

We often forget about the Charter airlines, so thanks for the reminder. As it stands, AC out of YOW-YYZ-MAD - return from MAD-BRU-YUL-YOW looks to be ~$300 less than Air Transat (googleflights.com). And KLM and Air France often offer good prices, and throw in a bus from Ottawa to Montreal, so will be watching them too. We expect the flight to come in ~$750 (unless a good sale pops up), but not too stressed about booking just yet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you desire use Petrabax.com to prebook your train from Madrid to Leon.

www.petrabax.com.

A train leaves Madrid Chamartin at 14:40 and arrives in Leon about 3 hours later. Take the Madrid airport express train from the Madrid airport to the Madrid Chamartin train station

Jirit, there seem to be varying accounts of how long the airport express takes to Chamartin station. Can you provide any insight?

John and Deb,

Would you like to hear another crazy idea?
If you have the time, don't fly back to Madrid, take the train again. We're leaving SdC tonight heading back to Madrid by train. We've got a sleeper car.
It's a private room with two beds, a private bathroom including a shower, a small sitting area, and access to the "bar car". It leaves fairly late so it gives you a whole extra day in SdC (which is a gorgeous city!) and arrives in Mad-Cham at 8:00 am. It's your transportation and your overnight accommodations! For the two of us, we paid about $250 Euro in total. Can you imagine what that would cost in Canada?? $1500 or so would be my guess, I haven't looked into it.
Anyways, if you're interested I'll let you know how it was!

Ron

We'd love to know how this goes!

Jirit, there seem to be varying accounts of how long the airport express takes to Chamartin station. Can you provide any insight?

We just took it today in reverse: Chamartin to T4. Time on the train? No more than 15 minutes.
For us, our Renfe ticket included the airport shuttle. We just went to the Renfe information office and they gave us the little ticket thingy to get through the gate. No charge.

Ron

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ron, you are there! As great as we hope?

The sleeper car was fun! We thought of it as a neat experience that we could never afford to do in Canada.
We enjoyed sleeping horizontally in a bed rather than in a chair like most of the other passengers. I'm 6'2" and I could totally stretch out. The compartment was tight but we just had one person lay on the bed while the other got ready so we weren't bumping into each other. Once we were both ready we folded up both beds and sat in the comfy chairs that are hidden beneath the bottom bunk. Pretty neat feature. Showering was nice. We arrived in Chamartin clean and refreshed.
The only problem? The train left at 10:30pm. That means you have you find something to do to pass the time after leaving your hotel room. But there's LOTS to do in SdC.
We enjoyed it! :)

Last edited:
We just took it today in reverse: Chamartin to T4. Time on the train? No more than 15 minutes.
For us, our Renfe ticket included the airport shuttle. We just went to the Renfe information office and they gave us the little ticket thingy to get through the gate. No charge.

Ron
Yes that is what I remember too. Should take about 15-20 minutes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
John & Deb, I did the same Camino, Leon to Santiago, in 2012. And we also added on the extra days to walk to Finisterre, which were beautiful and we are so glad that we walked to the coast. The train from Madrid to Leon was fast (assume it was the medium fast one based on earlier posts!). Even though we walked in a different season than you did (rainy spring!), check out my blog for highlights of the route you will be doing.

The line to Leon is still under construction.

...but it's expected to be opened to passenger traffic before summer. I'll update once a specific date is known.

The one I took covered the 340km in 2:57. We must have been on different trains!

Not really (or not necessarily). Both your train and rland290's one go at high speed till Valladolid (or till Valdestillas, depending on the specific train) and contine at standard speed till León.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There is not fast train to Leon!

Will you please give it a rest? We've hashed this out in a different thread. The train I took from Madrid to Leon went 248 kms per hour. Is that not a fast train????? How fast does the train have to travel before you'll allow me to call it a "fast train"?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back