• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In and out of Ourense

MarieLauFlorin

Time of past OR future Camino
See list below
How is the route in and out of Ourense? Heavy traffic? Are there alternative routes we should consider? We will start about 10 K before Ourense this time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Long way in and out of Ourence. As fas as I remember walking from Xunqueira it's mostly along the main roads to Ourence, passing through some industrial zone on the way, I didn't find it totally unpleasant or disturbingly long. The road goes uphill to the centre of town. The municipal albergue is close to the centre. The city is known for pulpo, so make sure you taste some there :) Very pleasant town, wish we had more time there. Next time I'll make sure to get a soak in the thermal waters there, the one on the centre is free. Next day we walked to Cea, plenty of woods with edible mushrooms there :) Casa Cesar is a good stop on the way to have a drink and talk to a Camino enthusiast :)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I highly recommend the river route I described in that post linked to by @AML. It is peaceful and shady, but — full disclosure — it is a wee bit longer.

Leaving Ourense, I have tried several times to find the right hand route, but never was able to. So I have always taken the left hand route, and it is fine. There is a steep ascent, short and sweet, right as you leave the city, but then it is quite beautiful, lots of dirt paths (unless the Xunta has put in crushed gravel) through green woods.

Buen camino, Laurie

I walked Ourense to Santiago last year and took the right hand route out of Ourense. Lots of uphill but I was so excited to be on the Camino I hardly noticed! Met up with folks who took the left route and after comparing notes it seemed the right was the better option.

Loved Ourense so if you can stay an extra day the markets; hot springs; and cathedral are all wonderful.

First town out of Ourense is Cea which is small but charming and beautiful. Great memories of the town square and restaurant in Cea.

@peregrina2000 You need to look for this:
IMG_8705.JPG
The coin won't still be there - it was ours;-) We tossed it to make the decision...and went right!
It DID go up, but not unbearably.
IMG_8706.JPG
And then you get this view looking back which makes you realised you HAVE climbed! (sorry about the shonky crooked uncomposed photo)
IMG_8708.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've done both routes out of Ourense, turned left three times and right three times. On balance I think I prefer right. It's ~1 km longer, but the very steep path on the left is narrow and has quite fast traffic on a weekday.

The pulpería in Cea is highly recommended for lunch.

And I love the monastery at Oseira, a couple of hours on from Cea. The albergue there is somewhat Spartan, but vespers in the almost deserted Gormenghast monastery in an experience not to be missed, and the hospitalero there is very friendly and chatty (your Trappist monk is often very chatty, in my limited experience).

Last edited:
I've done both routes out of Ourense, turned left three times and right three times. On balance I think I prefer right. It's ~1 km longer, but the very steep path on the left is narrow and has quite fast traffic on a weekday.

The pulpería in Cea is highly recommended for lunch.

And I love the monastery at Oseira, a couple of hours on from Cea. The albergue there is somewhat Spartan, but vespers in the almost deserted Gormenghast monastery in an experience not to be missed, and the hospitalero there is very friendly and chatty (your Trappist monk is often very chatty, in my limited experience).

Alan,
I think you have been there more recently than I — what’s the food situation like? When I was there, there were two bars, neither of which was particularly interested in serving us food, but we did get a meal so I can’t complain.

Long way in and out of Ourence. As fas as I remember walking from Xunqueira it's mostly along the main roads to Ourence, passing through some industrial zone on the way, I didn't find it totally unpleasant or disturbingly long. The road goes uphill to the centre of town. The municipal albergue is close to the centre. The city is known for pulpo, so make sure you taste some there :) Very pleasant town, wish we had more time there. Next time I'll make sure to get a soak in the thermal waters there, the one on the centre is free. Next day we walked to Cea, plenty of woods with edible mushrooms there :) Casa Cesar is a good stop on the way to have a drink and talk to a Camino enthusiast :)
Thank you, very useful

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took the left route (only a few months ago). A bit of a walk along the main road until the turn uphill, from there it was beautiful. No crushed gravel Laurie!

I walked Ourense to Santiago last year and took the right hand route out of Ourense. Lots of uphill but I was so excited to be on the Camino I hardly noticed! Met up with folks who took the left route and after comparing notes it seemed the right was the better option.

Loved Ourense so if you can stay an extra day the markets; hot springs; and cathedral are all wonderful.

First town out of Ourense is Cea which is small but charming and beautiful. Great memories of the town square and restaurant in Cea.
Thanks, will try to find right hand routeout of Ourense...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Laurie
The bars were not overly keen to serve us food but I really can't complain as the grandma at one went down to their allotment and came back with an armful of lettuce so we had a salad of sorts!

How is the route in and out of Ourense? Heavy traffic? Are there alternative routes we should consider? We will start about 10 K before Ourense this time.
STEEP!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I highly recommend the river route I described in that post linked to by @AML. It is peaceful and shady, but — full disclosure — it is a wee bit longer.

Leaving Ourense, I have tried several times to find the right hand route, but never was able to. So I have always taken the left hand route, and it is fine. There is a steep ascent, short and sweet, right as you leave the city, but then it is quite beautiful, lots of dirt paths (unless the Xunta has put in crushed gravel) through green woods.

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie we did the Sanabres and to take the right route this is the information I followed.: After crossing the bridge, take your second right onto Ave. Santiago. Follow that and continue following the yellow arrows and markers.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back