• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Betanzos and need new backpack, maybe

OTH86

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
I'm in Betanzos and need a new backpack - any place local that sells them?
The one I've used for years, that fit perfectly, no longer does. Over the four years it's not been used, and I've aged, things have happened. The shoulder straps can no longer be pulled closer to my upper back. Thus they are pulling on my shoulders.
Sorry, I know the problem, but don't know how to explain. It's not a weight issue, The pack weighs less than my size calls for - i've lost a bit of weight, but not much, very possibly my spine has diminished a bit. So my bp is slightly longer than my spine for proper fitting.
Any suggestions? Bus back to Santiago and taxi out to Decathlon? Return to Ferrol? Any place closer to Betanzos that sells backpacks?
Any way of fixing the straps?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I’ve aged I’ve noticed I can’t carry so much any more. Rather than buy a new backpack, can you lighten your load at all? Just 1kg can make a big difference.

Could it be that the waist/hip isn’t adjusted correctly? The shoulder straps shouldn’t be doing much if the waist is correct. Or that with you packing less it’s not in the right order in your pack throwing the balance off)?

Edit: im sure you’ve probably thought of those things but it’s all I could think of since not sure what to say about getting a new pack at this point

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I’ve aged I’ve noticed I can’t carry so much any more. Rather than buy a new backpack, can you lighten your load at all? Just 1kg can make a big difference.
Thanks, @jsalt , I just sent (by Correos) almost a kilo of stuff to myself to Santiago from Miño before walking to Betanzos today. It didn't help. Someone I met yesterday looked at the small straps [load lifter straps] at the top back, and agreed with me they were already at their limit.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could it be that the waist/hip isn’t adjusted correctly? The shoulder straps shouldn’t be doing much if the waist is correct. Or that with you packing less it’s not in the right order in your pack throwing the balance off)?

Edit: im sure you’ve probably thought of those things but it’s all I could think of since not sure what to say about getting a new pack at this point
Yes, @Smallest_Sparrow , I've tried adjusting waist, hip, and chest straps as well as the load lifter straps. And have made sure the load is packed the same way, just lower into the pack. But I WILL re-check that in the morning, maybe I missed something. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thinking differently: Correos would transport your pack for around four or five euro per day, so you could hold off on getting a new one till you have more time. I used them in 2019, and have no regrets at all.
Sometimes the Camino is telling us something and we just don't want to listen!!. For one thing it might stop the issue dominating your thoughts. (I know I am presuming they are here, maybe there not)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@OTH86

You’ve probably done this already, but possibly try to place the heaviest items closest to your back, in the pack?

Failing that, Kirkie’s suggestion sounds ideal …
(hope you have a small, packable, day pack with you 🤞🏼 for the day’s essentials.)

Sometimes the Camino is telling us something and we just don't want to listen!!. For one thing it might stop the issue dominating your thoughts. (I know I am presuming they are here, maybe there not)
Indeed, the camino of life is calling out loudly! I have to go to London for a funeral, and will do so following a week in Pamplona. That involves buying a covid day 2 test. I will not have time for the results, but I would be still in UK on day 2.
I worried about this until during the night I solved it.
Get home earlier, leave on day 1.
No dishonest person attempting to get through boarding in London for Dublin!
And once I click send, I will not pay one more minute's heed to that huge worry...

edit: if anyone wants to report or a moderator wants to delete, as it is not on topic, go ahead.

Thinking differently: Correos would transport your pack for around four or five euro per day, so you could hold off on getting a new one till you have more time. I used them in 2019, and have no regrets at all.
@kirkie @simeon @chinacat
Of course you're all right about this! Last night it became so clear - why am I stressing?? Just send the poor, faithful pack ahead - I'm only a few days from Santiago!!! I can be so obtuse sometimes ~ just as you implied, @simeon (i think that's what you were implying anyway😉)
It's all arranged.
Thanks, my friends!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Best of luck finishing the Ingles. I think that I talked to you last week at the Pilgrim House. Buen Camino!
You had just completed and were headed home, right? Hope all connections went smoothly. Thought about you several times! Thanks so much for sharing thoughts and updated info!
Buen Camino!
Terry

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You had just completed and were headed home, right? Hope all connections went smoothly. Thought about you several times! Thanks so much for sharing thoughts and updated info!
Buen Camino!
Terry
That is correct! Yes, everything went smoothly. It was great meeting you.

@kirkie @simeon @chinacat
Of course you're all right about this! Last night it became so clear - why am I stressing?? Just send the poor, faithful pack ahead - I'm only a few days from Santiago!!! I can be so obtuse sometimes ~ just as you implied, @simeon (i think that's what you were implying anyway😉)
It's all arranged.
Thanks, my friends!!
Glad you found a solution!. I used CaminoFacil on my Camino Inglese and loved it! I mean the service and not having to carry everything.

I used this company yesterday- no problems 5€ - just call them from your next Albergue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@OTH86

So how was it today?
Did you feel like skipping without the pack? 😉
Well, @chinacat , it worked well, but they don't do cash anymore, and I had a difficult time getting getting cc info to them before the 9pm cutoff time. But some very helpful person at Correos stayed with me until it 'took'!
It WAS nice without the weight!! But I DO like being able to carry my own stuff!! Guess it's becoming 'old fashioned' to scale down and carry your own - but to each their own choice. 😉

Well, @chinacat , it worked well, but they don't do cash anymore, and I had a difficult time getting getting cc info to them before the 9pm cutoff time. But some very helpful person at Correos stayed with me until it 'took'!
It WAS nice without the weight!! But I DO like being able to carry my own stuff!! Guess it's becoming 'old fashioned' to scale down and carry your own - but to each their own choice. 😉

Yes ... I recognise how you feel … there’s joy in packing light and carrying all you need on your back 🙂

But it’s good to hear that you had a good walk without that ill-fitting pack!

If it hadn’t unexpectedly let you down, you would have been carrying “your own stuff” … 😉

Just a note on the pack issue - sent it only between Betanzos & O Meson do Vento. Carried it (rather painfully) between O Meson & Sigüiero and into Santiago, and then weighed it - it WAS more than I should have been carrying @ 16 lb! BUT I DID IT, and am OK!! And today's my 77th birthday! I AM HAPPY!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a note on the pack issue - sent it only between Betanzos & O Meson do Vento. Carried it (rather painfully) between O Meson & Sigüiero and into Santiago, and then weighed it - it WAS more than I should have been carrying @ 16 lb! BUT I DID IT, and am OK!! And today's my 77th birthday! I AM HAPPY!

Brilliant!!

(and that’s a heavy pack!!!)

Happy Birthday!!! 🎈🍻💐

Soooo, in an effort to correct my back (pack) problem, I just bought an Osprey Tempest 30 in Santiago. Didn't have stuff to put in it to test, so hoping and praying this will work! Am about to begin packing - with no thought yet where I'm going next - in a few days... 🙏🙏🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.