• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In Burgos- help needed

Tommybhoy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances in September/ October 2016
Hey pilgrims, I'm in Burgos with my feet in bad condition. Lost all the skin and both toenails on my pinky toes, and it's very tender. Doctor at the medical centre ordered 3 days rest and I can only carry on if I get sandals. Trouble is I went all across Burgos to find a pair and none fit my size 12 feet.
If I don't get any sandals the Camino is over for me. Plain and simple. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thomas

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry to hear that! Have you already tried the Decathlon in Burgos? Buen Camino, SY

Also have you looked in the lost/found box in the albergue? Perhaps you get lucky there ...

Go to a shoe repair shop and plead with the owner to make something that will work for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry to hear that! Have you already tried the Decathlon in Burgos? Buen Camino, SY

Also have you looked in the lost/found box in the albergue? Perhaps you get lucky there ...

Here is the address of Decathlon in Burgos for sporting goods.

Decathlon Burgos
Centro Comercial Parque Burgos, Carretera N1, Km 236,
09001 Burgos, Spain
+34 947 27 91 27

Thanks @SYates , never thought of that, might have to give it a try. I'm on my way to decathlon now, praying I get a solid pair that fit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Other than the good suggestions others have already made, I can't help with sandals--good luck at Decathlon!
And perhaps stop at a pharmacia and get some paper surgical tape for your feet. Once you start walking again, use it to tape your toes. A cheap and very good blister preventative.

And as you have days in Burgos while your feet heal, why not take a bus down to Santo Domingo de Silos for a night--a very nice excursion, and not far away. You can take a bus back in the morning. Searching here will give you a start in terms of information. Or here.

Oh no. Another shoe problem. A serious one.
Thomas you are in Burgos right now and where do you want to go. What time scale do you have for your camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw one American bloke who had very bad feet from the Pyrenees, and he had to convert to Crocs to keep on his feet.
I know, these are probably the worst footwear for walking longhaul, but in his case, it made it possible for him as far as beyond Burgos. they are rather broad and roomy and with proper socks you might fill them out.
He was hobbling along but said he was fine and used walking poles.

Sorry to hear that. I arrived in Burgos on Sunday, September 18th to begin the Camino where I left off last year. You will probably be healed by then, but let me know if I need to bring you a pair of sandals from the US. daniel

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I used my crocs once when I had some bad blisters. I was back packing, and they were the only extra shoes I had. I took the insoles out of my boots and put them into the crocs and an extra pair of socks. It improved the fit, but they were still loose. I have pretty strong ankles, but because of the fit I had to be careful not to roll an ankle. They do not have good traction, and can be quite slippery. The soles are not spider rubber. I think Burgos is the start of the meseta. Looking at the elevation charts it should be a little flatter.

What treatment did they suggest for your feet besides rest? They sound raw and painful, but a soak in epsom salt (sulfato de magnesio or sal de Epsom?) may help to dry them out and heal. A little provodone iodine, or betadyne in the water may help reduce the possibility of infection. The soak may sting at first, but should get easier. Make sure the bandaging and tape are NON STICK. Make sure they stay clean, dry, and get as much air as possible. Are you planning on wearing socks with your sandals or just bare feet? Socks may offer a level of cushioning, keep some of the trail dirt etc. off of your feet, and provide some protection including sun protection. I would change them a couple of times during the day with a clean dry pair. You might be able to give the dirty ones a quick wash at a rest stop and hang them from your pack to dry after washing, so that you always have a clean dry pair in reserve.

Make the most of your rest days, and keep us updated with your progress.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You must absolutely throw your current footwear away - they are too short and too narrow at the front .. don't be sentimental, lose them now!
Decathlon has a good selection of trekking sandals though you have clown feet like me so I hope that you find your size. Best you can get - truly the best for feet like yours - are the Keen Newport H2 sandals (there is a shop in Astorga sells them, which doesn't help you much) ... so wonderfully wide at the toe end and with a real foot support sole -

Good luck with your searching (and your healing - this time obey orders and STOP until you are healed ... no more self-harm now ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have a Kindle or use the Kindle app, you might want to buy this book:
Fixing Your Feet, by John Vonhof
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I8S7U44/?tag=casaivar02-20
You have great advice above and hopefully get some reasonable footwear, but this book could help expedite the healing process.

Buen Camino!!!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Chiming in with @Wokabaut_Meri, @Anemone del Camino, and @Anniesantiago. If you don't manage to get what you need, that will get you as far as Leon or Astorga where there are other shoe places.
And to clarify what I said about paper tape--yeah, definitely don't use it on raw skin. That's for after the toes have healed.
Let us know how you go, @Tommybhoy !

Last edited:
Chiming in with @Wokabaut_Meri, @Anemone del Camino, and @Anniesantiago. If you don't manage to get what you need, that will get you as far as Leon or Astorga where there are other shoe places.
And to clarify what I said about paper tape--yeah, definitely don't use it on raw skin. That's for after the toes have healed.
Let us know how you go, @Tommybhoy !

I just got back from the Camino about 10 days ago and I saw a pair of boots with the tops cut off in Pedrouzo, just before Santiago. They looked great as makeshift sandals! Not the prettiest perhaps (though they looked really cool to me), but they got the job done, and the pilgrim in question, to Santiago! :)

I hope you've already been able to find sandals to fit you, and that the relatively flat stretch from Burgos gives your feet a break and more time to recover.

Rachel

Hey pilgrims, I'm in Burgos with my feet in bad condition. Lost all the skin and both toenails on my pinky toes, and it's very tender. Doctor at the medical centre ordered 3 days rest and I can only carry on if I get sandals. Trouble is I went all across Burgos to find a pair and none fit my size 12 feet.
If I don't get any sandals the Camino is over for me. Plain and simple. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thomas
you are stuck anyway, try ordering online and getting by express post . I am sure you will find some. TEVA are the best I have found

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey everyone, I've managed to purchase a fantastic pair of Teva sandals from an excellent sports/hiking shop in Calle Madrid, Burgos. It's called 'base' and the assistant was very knowledgeable and was well acquainted with the plight of the perregrino. I also went to the pharmacy and got the necessary supportI will get the bus on Monday to link up with my Camino family, and transport my pack for a few days until I'm back to fitness. Thank you guys for your support/advice and suggestions, I'm a happy pilgrim again!
Buen Camino

Hey everyone, I've managed to purchase a fantastic pair of Teva sandals from an excellent sports/hiking shop in Calle Madrid, Burgos. It's called 'base' and the assistant was very knowledgeable and was well acquainted with the plight of the perregrino. I also went to the pharmacy and got the necessary supportI will get the bus on Monday to link up with my Camino family, and transport my pack for a few days until I'm back to fitness. Thank you guys for your support/advice and suggestions, I'm a happy pilgrim again!
Buen Camino

Ah good for you!

Also good to know that there is indeed another Base Deportes more in the city centre than the Base Deportes I posted above. If your feet hurt no one likes to walk more than necessary to a shop for new sandals.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah good for you!

Also good to know that there is indeed another Base Deportes more in the city centre than the Base Deportes I posted above. If your feet hurt no one likes to walk more than necessary to a shop for new sandals.
You are so right @SabineP , I was so fed up because my flip flops were so inadequate and doing the pilgrim shuffle was getting soooo old. The Base Deportes was a godsend, and I can't wait to get to get back on the camino

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.