• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In Burgos looking for birthday advice

brambles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inca (2018)
Camino Frances (June/July 2019)
Camino Portugues (June/July 2020)
Hi again everyone,
My daughter and I are taking a rest day in Burgos today to do some site seeing. Her 14th birthday is in two days on the 6th and I am trying to figure out where to walk tomorrow and the next day to end up somewhere 'nice' on the 6th. Unfortunately I think this rest day will separate us from people we have been walking with on and off who have come to care about her, and now I am a bit worried that she will ne bummed out on her birthday :( She is young after all and these things matter. Any advice for stages and places to stay for next couple of days would be greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Brambles - how sweet .. not just that her 14th is coming up but that Mum and daughter are out there together!
It is a shame that you are losing your Camino family.

Two day stages from Burgos would take you to Castrojeriz but that would be 19k and 22k days ... if you do get to Castrojeriz, well, you are on the Meseta and it is a quiet sleepy town, as they all seem to be.

There is a campsite there - a proper campsite with big segregated bathrooms, laundry, and a small restaurant bar. The refugio is a lovely red brick building. It is owned and run by a really nice family. Were you to stay there, and were you to tell the family that it is her birthday I am sure they would agree to do something special for her - maybe a cake at the end of your meal?

It is on the entrance side of Castrojeriz - here their website (and phone number) - the refugio is not big - though they do also rent out small timber bungalows that are really sweet so may be worth booking ahead if you go for it - you could let them know about the birthday girl then and ask them to get a cake in??

[/URL]

I know it is hot! - so may be too far for you but is the only place I can think of where you might be able to organise a treat of some type.

Hope this helps! - a thought ... you could make a birthday post - maybe put up a photo of the both of you on Camino and she would get forum member birthday wishes from all over the world!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just my opinion but why dont you stick with your friends, I know when I look back on great times, it was always who I was WITH, and not where I WAS.
In addition to wanting to see some places in Burgos, we do need a break. My daughter's feet are pretty sore. Only one small blister on a pinky toe but her heels feel bruised.

Hi Brambles - how sweet .. not just that her 14th is coming up but that Mum and daughter are out there together!
It is a shame that you are losing your Camino family.

Two day stages from Burgos would take you to Castrojeriz but that would be 19k and 22k days ... if you do get to Castrojeriz, well, you are on the Meseta and it is a quiet sleepy town, as they all seem to be.

There is a campsite there - a proper campsite with big segregated bathrooms, laundry, and a small restaurant bar. The refugio is a lovely red brick building. It is owned and run by a really nice family. Were you to stay there, and were you to tell the family that it is her birthday I am sure they would agree to do something special for her - maybe a cake at the end of your meal?

It is on the entrance side of Castrojeriz - here their website (and phone number) - the refugio is not big - though they do also rent out small timber bungalows that are really sweet so may be worth booking ahead if you go for it - you could let them know about the birthday girl then and ask them to get a cake in??

[/URL]

I know it is hot! - so may be too far for you but is the only place I can think of where you might be able to organise a treat of some type.

Hope this helps! - a thought ... you could make a birthday post - maybe put up a photo of the both of you on Camino and she would get forum member birthday wishes from all over the world!!
Wow! These are great and specific ideas! I am very grateful for your response. Thank you.! We are heading out now to see the cathedral in Burgos and I will post later on a plan

Hi again everyone,
My daughter and I are taking a rest day in Burgos today to do some site seeing. Her 14th birthday is in two days on the 6th and I am trying to figure out where to walk tomorrow and the next day to end up somewhere 'nice' on the 6th. Unfortunately I think this rest day will separate us from people we have been walking with on and off who have come to care about her, and now I am a bit worried that she will ne bummed out on her birthday :( She is young after all and these things matter. Any advice for stages and places to stay for next couple of days would be greatly appreciated.
On my birthday, my friend went up the road ahead, and wrote my name in rocks on the path. I don't even know when she did it. They all kept straight faces, It was hilarious, I found it within mins of walking. Then we took a photo of us all standing next to it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In addition to wanting to see some places in Burgos, we do need a break. My daughter's feet are pretty sore. Only one small blister on a pinky toe but her heels feel bruised.

Blisters on pinkies means the foot box is too narrow there. Try this - take the laces off and put them back on again but ignore the first two pairs of laces holes at the toe end - the footwear will still tighten up properly but the front will then be able to flex and open up, giving more room ;) .

Last edited:
If you want somewhere non-touristy to eat tonight that is totally Spanish and noisy and chatty and friendly (with really great food) you just cannot beat Casa Pancho - right in the centre, just a few hundred yards from the Cathedral along a narrow side street - C/ San Lorenzo, 13 y 15

Here their website - I was with my Camino pal, JennyH94, and we had a brilliant night there, the staff all gave us hugs when we left (we had praised the food and the chef had come out to thank us - she was lovely too) !!

http://www.barpancho.com/UK/barpancho.php

The Spanish are really children friendly so, again, were to you quietly tell them her birthday was coming up I am sure they would do something nice.

How about San Bol? It is aout 25 km from Burgos, an alternative place. It would allow you two shorter stages (Rabe de las Calzadas, San Bol)

Albergue San Bol

Albergue San Nicolas in Puente de Fitero is also a very remarkable Special places, such is the open-air albergue in the ruins of the Monastery St. Anton (3 km before Castrojeríz). But this would either require you to walk bigger stages or take a bus out of Burgos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All good suggestions above. I've always enjoyed staying in Hontanas, I love the way it just appears out of nowhere and it's less than 30km out of Burgos so an easy two days. Plus there's a large municipal pool, great after a hot day of walking.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Great idea. When I was 14 and it was really hot, I was longing for a pool or at least for a place where I could refresh in the water.

In my memory, Castrojeríz was a rather depressing place, 1/3 of the houses for sale, another 1/3 delapidated (in 2007). No pool, no river nearby, no good Restaurants. Nothing of interest for a 14 year old.

One stage out of Burgos to Rabe (Albergue Liberanos Domine) and then to San Anton the next night.
It's rustic and beautiful, without electricity, and in the middle of the ruin of the church. The shared meal is wonderful as is the care. If you say it is a bithday, there would be an outpouring of love.
One more stage to San Nicholas, the Italian-run donativo before Itero de la Vega. Same.
It is a deep dive into the soul of the camino to stay at both these places. Very special - with candlelight, simplicity and beautiful kindness - if your daughter can handle no wifi.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi again everyone,
Walk to Hontanas and then the next day walk to Boadilla and stay at En El Camino. En el Camino is a very friendly place. One of my best memories is hearing happy birthday sang in 3 languages at that Albergue.
I returned yesterday from the Camino Francis. My granddaughter turned 15 on June 26 and three of her friends re-arranged their schedule to meet her for her birthday in Melide. They made her a special dinner and sang Happy birthday in Korean. Best birthday ever. The Camino provides so many surprises.

En el Camino would be close to 58 km from Burgos. It's a great spot, but too punishing a 2 day walk for a birthday girl with sore feet. It would be good for the next night.

The campground in Castrojerez or Hontanas with the pool might be far more pleasing for a 14 year old than the rustic, no electricity places that adults on this site love. On her birthday she is likely to definitely want wifi so she can talk to her friends.

I'd bet that if you called ahead and booked accommodation for that night and requested help in getting a cake for her, most places would be happy to help.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back