• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In defense of selfies!

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
On another thread, I got a bit energized in defense of selfies. I understand the negative knee-jerk reaction to such newfangled trends, but the Camino and old age have mellowed me. If you take yourself too seriously to ever take a selfie, read no further!

Let's have a thread where you post your favourite Camino selfie and explain how it represents something positive, rather than being the expression of narcissism and anti-social behaviour that some would say selfies are!

I will take the liberty of posting three! I will exercise what vanity I still have, by cropping them severely.

The first, posted already on the other thread, shows 4 pilgrims from 4 countries and 3 languages, capturing a moment with the local bartender. No lack of social interaction and communication with the locals in evidence! However, I do accept the criticism of too many wrinkles and too much nose, even with the poor focus.

The second shows me with Flora, a resident of Palacios de la Valduerna on the last stage of the VdlP before Astorga. She beckoned me as I walked through town (intending to make good time by not stopping), offered to call and open the museum, gave me coffee in her home, and took me to show where signs would be posted to bring pilgrims closer to the museum. Then she insisted that we take photos of each other and selfies together. She is more photogenic than I.

Finally to prove I shouldn't be allowed to carry a phone with a selfie option, here is one showing my merino wool buff acting as a sun shield for my ears. Looking at this photo, I can feel the sun and the exhilaration of walking alone!

Let's see your favourites, and read why. :D

Attachments

• 20170331_220722.jpg
    20170331_220722.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 936
  • 20170418_103020 (2).jpg
    20170418_103020 (2).jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 20170404_135935 (2).jpg
    20170404_135935 (2).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 215
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've tried to take a selfie a couple of times, but when I see myself on the screen I decide not to.
There are several strategies to overcome this:
  1. Get older until you don't care much any more, or at least come to accept that you are never going to look better.
  2. Develop the "art" of photography. Keep your face in silhouette or shadow.
  3. Don't really look at the image while you are snapping.
  4. Large sunglasses.
  5. Strategic cropping.

There are several strategies to overcome this:
  1. Get older until you don't care much any more, or at least come to accept that you are never going to look better.
  2. Develop the "art" of photography. Keep your face in silhouette or shadow.
  3. Don't really look at the image while you are snapping.
  4. Large sunglasses.
  5. Strategic cropping.
I already use the sunglasses as often as possible. Kind of hard for nighttime shots though.

I love selfies----In that I shoot pictures of people in absurd poses trying to get their selfies. On a recent trip to Thailand the temples were just a sea of selfie sticks, providing great entertainment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Both from my walk this month on VDLP:

Me with Fernando, who had to be retired from work mid 40s after two devastating strokes, and has recovered from paralysis twice, and is the most cheerful, flirty man ever.

Me with Pepe and Cuca, the kindest, funniest, nicest people. Pepe stopped about 5 times with me when my feet were really hurting, pressed food into my hand, and told me off for not walking on the left on roads. Cuca sang Caminante No Hay Camino with me as we walked along, made me listen to Spanish brass band music, fell over twice through mobile phone related mishaps, and got me into saying Olé all the time.
IMG_2691.jpgIMG_2631.jpg
Love you all!

Once upon a time I was heavily into photography, to the point of developing and printing negatives in my own (primitive) darkroom. In those days taking a selfie would have been a waste of film, and that feeling regarding selfies is still with me today. That, and I'm not overly fond of my own mug.
But with a smartphone things are different, so I tentatively tried to break away from old habits while on camino. The first one I just had to make. It was on the third day of my walk and I was walking along the Schelde in Antwerpen, Belgium. Sitting on the dock of the bay, anyone?
For the second one I just liked the visual of that mirror door in Corbigny, France. I haven't (yet) completely broken with old habits, in that I still don't make selfies with others in the frame (too worried about composition and stuff). But there is still time...
2016-03-29 09.48.45.jpg 2016-04-22 10.20.57.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok. Ok. I can text and I can take photos, but the only selfie I ever took was my thumb over the lens.:oops:
I have been doing that for ages.
Ages.
I even have one of a very young thumb from a Brownie Camera I took to Camp.
And we need a "Love" button here people! Some of these photos and stories call for a Love Button.

I thought the Camino teaches us to be humble and accepting. A selfie with family, friends or people we meet is just a way to help remember a shared moment. Maybe it is age as already suggested, but I have accepted who I am and what I look like. You girls don't need to employ photography techniques or costumes to share in your photos. You may be leaving out the most important part:D.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't mind selfies, I rarely do them for there is so much out there more pleasing to the eye than myself, but I do mind selfie sticks. They are dangerous because they extend the perimeter of one's own arm and most times are at or near eye level.

Our avatar is our only "real" selfie - taken on our last day on the Camino which happens two be exactly two years ago today. Another version of the selfie (I bet we all have these).
EDIT: Full on shadow, no cropping or sunglasses required. :)

Attachments

• Camino Selfie.JPG
    Camino Selfie.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Selfies are invariably happy pictures - celebratory and proud. They are usually taken either to share with someone who isn't there, or to remember a sharing moment with someone who was there. Nothing to sneer at!

Taking one in a solemn place may not be appropriate, just as laughing out loud wouldn't be.

It is all about context.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, I know these are supposed to be Camino-related selfies, but please indulge me this one non-Camino selfie because it just warms my heart and fits the definition of happiness and pride. My husband's grandmother is 95 years old and has just discovered selfies. She loves them. She's from Mexico, and speaks maybe 50 words of English - now including the word "selfie". I challenge anyone to continue to have a bias against selfies after seeing this one

Attachments

• selfie.jpg
    selfie.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 74
Mine is pre-Camino related, on a training hike trying to decide if I liked walking with a parasol. Or rather: trying to decide how foolish I would look hiking with one.

(The verdict: I felt like a total tool, and I hated carrying it ... but I loved having portable shade with me. I went ahead and ordered a swing trek hands-free umbrella).

Attachments

• parasol.jpg
    parasol.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 53
Here's my selfie. Rather than have long arms or a stick I ask some pleasant looking person " Could you take a photo for me please?" or "Puedes tomarme una foto de mi por favor" if they look Spanish. It's how we used to do it!

Attachments

• P1100693.JPG
    P1100693.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Selfies are invariably happy pictures - celebratory and proud. They are usually taken either to share with someone who isn't there, or to remember a sharing moment with someone who was there. Nothing to sneer at!

Taking one in a solemn place may not be appropriate, just as laughing out loud wouldn't be.

It is all about context.
Completely agree although I agree with @newfydog also how silly selfie-takers are sometimes. I really enjoy watching them especially on Plaza do Obradoiro :)

Regarding selfies I'm kind of the same as @Purky, being film director I'm so concerned about composition, light etc. That's why my first ever selfie was with a very special person, a Camino angel. It happened in Nava de la Asuncion on Camino de Madrid in 2014. Here it is (and selfie in attachment):
"After 29kms and last 8kms on tarmac I was quite pissed off, but the Camino Angel was there. Of course I've stopped in Pasteleria Rosana (on Camino, plenty of arrows) where I bought credencial from Margerita (photo296), got the sello and information that albergue is full/closed or whatever. She doesn't speaks any English, so I figured out that albergue employees are on some kind of camping with kids. Not sure about that though! She proposed to me to take a bus to Coca which I declined in disgust, hahaha, I mean after almost 30kms I'm going to take a bus ride, come on… Also the hotel was full because it was Friday and Spaniards love their weekend fiestas ;)

In years of working as a film director and dealing with lots of different people I have learned that taking a deep breath and drinking cold beer helps a looot. In the time I went to the market and drank one small Mahou, Margerita arranged everything for me. I was sent to Casa de Cultura (photo297) where her friend Conchi (secretary in Casa de C.) was expecting me. An hour later (8PM) a man brought brand new mattress and Conchi took me up to the second floor into one of the classrooms (photo299). (Only cold) shower was across the corridor, I was given the keys to the whole building (»left them in the mailbox in the morning« - I've told you, it is going to happen more often, hahaha) and I was told to be the first person to sleep in their Casa de Cultura EVER!"

Attachments

• 0296-me & Margarita at her Pasteleria (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    0296-me & Margarita at her Pasteleria (Nava de la Asuncion, 27.06.14).jpg
    193 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great thread C! View attachment 33890
This was taken today in Hondarribia by two sleep-deprived peregrinas, trying to figure out this new-fangled selfie thing. It took quite a few attempts as we couldn't stop laughing.
@NualaOC & @peregrina2000
Where is that darn "LOVE" button? You guys are cute as a bug's ear! Now go get a vino tinto and a good night's sleep!

Great thread C! View attachment 33890
This was taken today in Hondarribia by two sleep-deprived peregrinas, trying to figure out this new-fangled selfie thing. It took quite a few attempts as we couldn't stop laughing.
@NualaOC & @peregrina2000

Did you guys take that selfie just so you could post it on this thread? Yes? I love that!
:)
Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am bumping this thread since it is a happy one.
Thank you so much for the positive side making selfies brings. Even though we will not forget our fellow pilgrims it’s a great way to remember the faces of those whom we walked with. 😁

My very first Camino selfie…what a greenga 😊 Sept 3, 2013. LOL
645BC638-C0D4-4B84-97DF-FCEDF03DE539.jpeg

Shenanigans in Najera on my second 🤣
AAEE3321-210D-47CF-A26F-224FF3464173.jpeg

A beautiful lady from Holland walked with me 23 miles on my birthday on my second. At this point she said, let’s make a selfie. 💞
7FF0E07F-7BCC-4A75-BF87-7056AE23F3C9.jpeg

And this gem, on my third. Valentina from Croatia. Shy at first then opened up with laughter while the hours flew by.
E7C155BF-E13D-4C69-A24F-8C32833A3D4C.jpeg

Then on my third there’s Santiago in Cacabelos who made a mean chicken dish. I learned a lot of his family history as he shared amazing stories.
334AA2A9-FEDA-4C22-B6EF-AB5290A2105E.jpeg

Ahhhh Laura from Italy, my walking partner during a few tough stages on my third, embraced me when I walked into the square as she took a selfie. 💞
E02E1D02-A920-4126-A52A-9E20521383A1.jpeg

The best for last? Nah…. They are all special and I’m so grateful I have these SELFIES to jolt my memories. James from England walked into my life way back in Leon. Here we are celebrating in Santiago with churros and chocolate. We still talk today. 😊
81805FB3-4909-4452-8064-DDE323104851.jpeg
Cheers to the selfie!!!

Last edited:
I don't mind selfies.
I take selfies all the time for me. For my family. For my FB page.

People should do what makes them happy.
I was just being grouchy.

I DO dislike drones though... buzzy little pesky things invade my privacy - here in Dallas people even fly them close enough to look in your windows. Makes me want to buy a slingshot.

WAIT! Am I being grouchy again? ::ducking::

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just perused the dozens and dozens of selfies my husband and I took walking the Camino Fancés for our honeymoon in 2016 after skimming this thread. And if anyone seemed grumpy or passive aggressive about it at the time, I certainly don’t remember them! 😂 We were having too much fun together!!

Selfies are great to take and send to family and friends who are interested in your Camino walk. Keeps them up to date on your journey and you don't have to constantly ask other people to take your photo.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back