• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In Leon and need to buy trekking poles

LauraK

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
Arrived in Leon late this evening and plan to start the Camino del Salvador on Thursday. My trekking poles and knife did not make it to Madrid. Can someone recommend a sporting goods store here in Leon that would carry high quality trekking poles? Also, where can I purchase a knife (I think the one I want is Opinel?). Thanks for your help! I here the convent albuergue is 85% full tonight so looks like there are still a lot of pilgrims on the CF. I hope the Salvador is quiet. Weather looks perfect for the next five days!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can't help you for the poles, but your Opinal knife is found in any ferretería.

Hi, Laura, so glad you are going to be heading for the Salvador/Primitivo!!!!

I would go to K2Planet: http://k2planet.com (more or less near the parador) Avenida Dr Fleming 1.
I was there in Leon once when I needed to replace my hiking boots, and though I didn't plunk down the 200 euros they wanted for a really nice pair of boots, I did see a lot of high quality hiking stuff.

Somewhere on the Ordono II, which is the main drag from the Cathedral down the pedestrian street and then on the busy street that goes to the train staion, there is a sporting goods store. It''s on your left as you walk down towards the bus station. It has high quality goods, but I am not sure about trekking poles. As a last resort, I would try the Corte Ingles, but I think K2Planet is better than that.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can't help you for the poles, but your Opinal knife is found in any ferretería.
Sorry to ask... But what is the translation for a Ferriteria? So I know what to look for :D!

Hi, Laura, so glad you are going to be heading for the Salvador/Primitivo!!!!

I would go to K2Planet: http://k2planet.com (more or less near the parador) Avenida Dr Fleming 1.
I was there in Leon once when I needed to replace my hiking boots, and though I didn't plunk down the 200 euros they wanted for a really nice pair of boots, I did see a lot of high quality hiking stuff.

Somewhere on the Ordono II, which is the main drag from the Cathedral down the pedestrian street and then on the busy street that goes to the train staion, there is a sporting goods store. It''s on your left as you walk down towards the bus station. It has high quality goods, but I am not sure about trekking poles. As a last resort, I would try the Corte Ingles, but I think K2Planet is better than that.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie! I tried to google and was getting confused trying to figure out a good store. I will head there first thing tomorrow. My husband was worried that I wouldn't be able to find good trekking poles or have a hard time finding a store. My answer to him was "someone on the forum will know." And I was right! Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laura
There are a couple of sports stores near the cathedral as well as a China bazar just east of the cathedral. The sports stores are located south of hotel spa Paris and off of the main pedestrian walk way. I can,t remember what the street name is but it is easy to locate. You may want to get directions from any of the local shops or cantinas. I have been in the sports stores several times and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. One of the sports shops have fishing and fire arms etc. and the other one has more clothing. They are both quite near each other , maybe even across the alley from each one. I did remember seeing trekking poles and north face gear as well as opinel knives and such. I hope this is some what helpful , sorry I couldn't be more specific on locations. Buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone! I found the same Black Diamond trekking poles I have been using and the Opinel knife. Picked up my credentials this morning (Salvador and Primitivio) and food supplies. Off to a nice big lunch and then a siesta. I plan to start early tomorrow. I hope to check in a few times.
I am staying in the Hospederia Monastica Pax Hotel just above the albergue. Lots and lots of pilgrims arriving-glad I am headed off the CF to the Salvador.

Too late now but Base Yorda was excellent when we went in.

Very friendly and 10% discount for pilgrims. I know this sounds like a promotion
but the chap had endless patience, spoke good English and gave great advice.

Too late now but Base Yorda was excellent when we went in.

Very friendly and 10% discount for pilgrims. I know this sounds like a promotion
but the chap had endless patience, spoke good English and gave great advice.

That was our experience too. He spent a long time with us when we needed new shoes last year. The shop should have closed for siesta but he kept it open and as you say, had endless patience. We still refer to him as the 'shoe angel' :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This has been helpful to me. Making my way as a big detour from Camino to try some new shoes. Going to try and find Base. Good reviews. Hope I can rejoin.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back