• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In madrid taking train to Fuencarral

cbcrna1

Time of past OR future Camino
NONE
We will be walking from Fuencarrol train station to Tres Cantos tomorrow. Where are the waymarks (yellow arrows) near train station? We get lost quite easily. Thanks for any assistance. Cyndi and Dave

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen Camino, cbcrna1; have a terrific and meaningful pilgrimage. :) I love your avatar!!

We will be walking from Fuencarrol train station to Tres Cantos tomorrow. Where are the waymarks (yellow arrows) near train station? We get lost quite easily. Thanks for any assistance. Cyndi and Dave
Hi @cbcrna1
All the best for Camino de Madrid.
Re arrows from station., I haven’t exited that particular station but it will be a matter of just looking or asking when you’re there. Is it your first camino ? If it isn’t your first., you’ll have the idea of looking on signpost poles., pavement, gutters, trees. etc. for the yellow arrows.
When you’re in Madrid or before ., get a copy of the map out of Madrid and match up where you’ll find/join the path....
another comfort tip is to download ‘maps me ‘ app on your phone before you leave home and the tracks in Spain you’re interested in. You need internet only for download.
Once in Spain you can turn on the app to see where you ‘physically ‘ are, in relation to the tracks and head in the right direction if you’re going wrong. The app works ‘without wifi or internet’.
Just need to have a ‘look’ and get out of the app though so you don’t drain your battery unnecessarily.. I usually kept my phone on ‘airplane ‘ mode whilst walking to save battery. The maps me app still works btw on airplane mode.

Have a great time.
Buen Camino
Annie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Annie -how do I reference the Camino routes in maps.me. This is our first Camino. We did get lost often-or lost track of yellow arrows and ended up on the bike path to Tres Cantos. Asking people were great but the had no knowledge of Camino Madrid. I have Johnnie Walker guidebook-but no help if lost. Need a way to reference Camino Madrid trail in maps.me. Thanks for any and all help. Today was tough but we feel good.

Thanks Annie -how do I reference the Camino routes in maps.me. This is our first Camino. We did get lost often-or lost track of yellow arrows and ended up on the bike path to Tres Cantos. Asking people were great but the had no knowledge of Camino Madrid. I have Johnnie Walker guidebook-but no help if lost. Need a way to reference Camino Madrid trail in maps.me. Thanks for any and all help. Today was tough but we feel good.

Hi @cbcrna1
I’ll try to help but I’m a real rookie myself.
My recent Camino de Madrid was my first experience using maps me. So I’m a learner but also a convert now.
Firstly, although I had the app on my phone and started walking with 2 other ladies from this forum., I did not refer to it until well after Tres Cantos.
I also had the Csj guide (Johnny walker ) download but as happens when you walk with others., you don’t always operate as you would alone. I found when I was alone on the Invierno., I became more proficient with maps me app.

But in answer to how to gets the tracks to follow.
I somehow ‘fluked’ this somehow but I’ve noticed a good link which I think is clearly put and easy to follow.

@Thomas1962 has a post#3 linked below. If you go into it and hit his link (sorry this is long winded but I’m a rookie ).. after you open his link to the Dutch site - you’ll see an opportunity to download the Spanish tracks. I got to this point a harder way , when I was trying to get the tracks - and found that by doing that download, Ive now got the tracks to all the Spanish caminos downloaded to Maps me.
Note 1: You need first to be on internet/wifi to download maps me to your phone initially
Note 2: You need to be on internet/wifi to download the tracks to maps me. (It should ask you where you want to download them to.
After the downloads, as I said in earlier post., you won’t need wifi to look/follow maps me. It connects to gps. Just watch battery if you’re low.

This is Thomas’ link.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rlays-kmz-and-or-kml-files.55483/#post-621482

Once your tracks are downloaded; your maps me should look like ‘attached pic’ of Spain with all the brown tracks are from the Dutch site.

Note 3. For info only re tres cantos. I am attaching 2 other pics. One shows 2 tracks outside Madrid heading into Tres Cantos.
The Dutch site (brown tracks ) show a different way to the Csj guide but brown tracks exit Tres Cantos on what we believe is the right way.
The blue tracks are another set of tracks from a friend who you can see goes in and out of Tres Cantos on the same roundabout. (The one after Hotel Fora, as per Csj guide ).

I agree ., it’s not easy at first getting everything ‘up and operating. ‘. I guess the more I practise the easier it gets.

Another great tip I learned from my fellow pilgrim on the Madrid. @jsalt
Jill got hold of maps of each section and printed sections beforehand., then used a yellow highlighter to mark the camino path. She also marked useful info on map which may have been points taken from others on forum. It was a useful sheet of paper to write notes on reverse of /journal etc.

Ps. I also had WisePilgrim app for Invierno BUT as at April 2018 ., there was no ‘Camino de Madrid’ by wisepilgrim.

Good luck
Buen Camino
Annie

Attachments

• F7C3CBF1-F328-4BA2-82A3-D5612CAC14E4.png
    F7C3CBF1-F328-4BA2-82A3-D5612CAC14E4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • C267EE36-B474-44CC-9E45-E62A10E686C7.png
    C267EE36-B474-44CC-9E45-E62A10E686C7.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 37468B22-7AF4-4271-B029-BC04EF366273.png
    37468B22-7AF4-4271-B029-BC04EF366273.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks so much for the help! I was such and still am but less so a rookie at this-we are now 10 on Camino Madrid and feel like we are working thru the challenges. We are using Johnny Walkers waymarkers frim his guide-did not notice them in the beginning-definitely you will need those or similar for at least beginning of Camino Madrid in my humble, not experienced opinion

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.