• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In need of medical care in Pamplona.

twigsandribbons

Hi forum,

My name is Lindsay and I´m a first time pilgrim on my 5th day on the route Frances. I took the Napoleon route but since then have been trying to take it pretty slow, and I just got into Pamplona today and my knee has begun to act up within the last 24 hours. It doesn´t appear to be swollen but I can´t walk up or down stairs/extreme slopes without being brought to tears. I don´t know what´s wrong, and if t´s the sort of thing that needs immediate attention or if this is normal and just needs a few days of rest. I have 7 weeks, so time isn´t a huge issue. On the other hand, I´ve looked up info for the urgent care center in Pamplona and I know how to get a bus there, but I have no idea if my insurance will be covered in another country and I´m just terrified of coming home to a monstrous bill I can´t afford. I know health is obviously most important but I can´t pretend that isn´t a consideration.

I had thought I´d read something about pilgrim health care provided along the camino, especially with these commonplace things such as joint pain, foot injuries, etc, but the woman at the desk here at the hostel has never heard of anything like that. ANY help would be appreciated. If I don´t get back to you immediately it´s because my internet access is somewhat unreliable at the moment.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me.

- Lindsay

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Lindsay

My experience is that pilgrims are treated most sympathetically by health centres along the routes. Go along and ask them whether there will be a cost. I don't know what country you are from or what insurance you carry. Explain your situation to them and let's hope they are happy to help.

Let us know how you get on please.

John

Thank you so much, John. I definitely will do that. I´m from the United States, btw, for the record. I´m sure this will all turn out okay but the camino has been a dream of mine for a long time and I´m both terrified of having to stop and/or doing any kind of lasting damage to my knee. *sigh*

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
some of the best medical care in Spain is done at the university hospital in Pamplona. And their med students often staff Red Cross units scattered along the Camino, which offer the kind of consultation you need for no cost. Ask your hospitalero to look up the local Red Cross unit, and see if they offer that service. Barring that, go to the local Centro Medico and become a walk-up patient. Even if you´re billed, it won´t be anything like the extortion that happens in the USA.

Get better!
Rebekah

Hi there -

I agree with Johnnie and Rebekah - go to the urgent care centre but ask them what is covered and what's not before entering treatment.

In the meantime, because you have the luxury of time, find the cheapest place you can in Pamplona and just stay there for a few days. In my experience, if you're ill or injured, albergues let you stay longer than one day, but it sounds as if you're in a hostal. We have had several medical issues while on caminos for which we've had to see a medico and have never been charged. (For an examination and consult and prescription.) Should you require blood work and xrays you will likely be charged.

Also in the meantime. Ice your knee for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off.

Let us know how you get on.

lynne

First, Lynnejohn and Rebekah offer good advice.

Second, Your insurance company likely has a 1-800 number or e-mail address. Send them an enquiry. I don't know if it's a useful parallel, but I was in Jamaica with a friend who developed an ear infection. She called her insurance company, who told her to go to a local doctor, and they authorized treatment. She paid the relatively small charge on the spot, and was later reimbursed.

The only time I needed medical attention was in Jaca, to get a prescription as I had managed to leave my medication in Canada. Staff at my hotel kindly wrote out a note in Spanish which I could give the health centre staff (Centro de Salud). Armed with this, I went over there, and took a number. After a few minutes exchange of conversation with a waiter sitting beside me, he announced that I was a pilgrim, and my number 22 became number 1, as I was pushed to the head of the line, including by two Muslim women who insisted on shaking my hand. While the sign indicated that the consultation would be 45euro, this was waived by the nurses and the doctor told me to go to the pharmacy on the maing drag and get the prescription filled. More handshaking on the way out.

The cost at the pharmacy was about half what I pay in Ottawa for the medication (later reimbursed by my supplementary health plan) and most of the conversation was around the cuteness of the doctor, who looked a bit like George Clooney, but was shorter.

I cannot say that you will have the same experience in Pamplona, as there are far more pilgrims passing through there than in Jaca, but would urge you to get care-- your condition may be minor but it is best to know as soon as possible. Spanish medical care is of high quality-- the only reservation is that doctors may be shy about their command of English, but the nurses seem to run the show (always a good sign)-- the Spanish seem to be eager to be helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Lindsay, I had similar problems and found a few days bed rest did wonders. I had dislocated my knee cap and ended up getting it strapped by a doctor in Estella. I wasn't charged for the consult and he advised bed rest for a few days and I also bought a strong elasticized knee brace for the troubled knee. You will be fine I'm sure and don't worry about having to give up - you may have to miss some of the really steep descents along the way, but its your camino and how you do it will be just right for you. (Also, buy a bag of frozen peas for the ice pack if you can't get your hands on the real thing.) Seeing as you have loads of time, take some days off now might just be the trick for lasting the distance to Santiago. all the best for you, Jane

I´m hospitalero-ing at the municipal albergue in Villamayor de Monjardin after the 26th... just beyond Estella. If you get yourself that far by then, I´ll let you stay longer! :D

reb

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.