• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Pamplona ...........................

Javier

Just inaugurated

copiade3p1230032vw3.jpg

copiade1p1230034dh6.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Awesome...Thanks.

Reminds me of the Spanish language, San Fermin-related, song:

Uno de enero
dos de febrero
tres de marzo
cuatro de abril
cinco de mayo
seis de junio
siete de julio,
San Fermin.
A Pamplona hemos de ir,
con una media, con una media.
A Pamplona hemos de ir,
con una media y un calcetin.

Last year I happened to get to Pamplona in the middle of the San Fermines and the city was packed. Couldn't wait to get to the albergue in Cizur Menor, which, in contrast to the one we're up in arms about, is very nice.

Best,

xm 8)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might enjoy the San Fermines, Mika, immortalized by Hemingway's brilliant novel, "The Sun Also Rises." I ran with the bulls in my youth, quite an experience. Wouldn't do it these days, though :!: Best, xm 8)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Javier

As much as I love Spain and its people I just cannot comprehend your relationship with bulls !

I hate corridas and I have so far failed to understand what is so funny as to race in front of a pack of scary bulls at the risk of ones life. I have been told (by Spaniards) that the San Fermin holiday is nothing but a pretext to getting drunk and making a real as.... of yourself. So why build a statue displaying a few humans running in front of a few bulls, especilly with one guy about to be really plowed by one of those beasts.... Surely Pamplona should be known for other things than that event.

Of course there must be something I don't understand !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's cultural, check out: "Death in the Afternoon," + "The Sun also Rises" (this last one, a classic, with Tyrone Powers/Ava Gardner, saw it a couple of days ago for the millionth time, ). "Tauromaquia" is an old old art. Not all Spaniards like bullfighting. I do. It's really something interesting to read about, there's more to it than meets the eye. Best, xm 8)

To Ulysse

I am sorry but at no moment i have said that I love bulls, it is only a photo of a monument of one of our best festivals here. I don´t like bulls either but I respect to those who like them. So you know how many people came here from USA, New Zeland,Australia,Canada, etc to the Festival? There are many traditions around the world that we don´t know the reason but for the people in those places it is a well-thing. I think that there are many things worse than this one for being worried about this...Don´t you think that? It´s just a photo of a monument in Pamplona as a sign that identifies our traditions....

Translation by my daughter who doesn´t like the bulls either but loves the festivals...

Greetings from Pamplona! ! !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Javier

Do not take my comments personnaly or as an insult to your town and country. I just said that I do not understand such customs. :wink:

I neither love nor hate bulls, I just hate corridas period. If people like corridas or like to run in front of a pack of animals, it is ok with me also. :lol:

I like your pictures very much; especially the ones you took in the park, near the Ciudadela, last winter.

Greetings to you and congratulations to your daughter for a good translation. Keep sending pictures of your city.

Ulysse,

I do not understand such customs.

Check out recommended readings in my post above. It may not change your views on the subject, not important, but it may give u the understanding of the customs, which u said u lacked. That way, I assure u, you will look at bullrings, the monuments, etc., from a diff light, the next time u pass by Pamplona. Best, xm 8)

xm

I know it is cultural and I love Espana despite this habit :wink: . I will take your wise advise and read "Death in the afternoon"; I have read and seen "The sun also rises".

We are quite a way from the Caminos (reason for Ivar's forum) but it is always interesting to talk about cultures, traditions etc... Maybe there should be a section in the forum open to discuss about such things which are also part of your Camino experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ulysse, I have to tell u that it was not until I read Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon," that I not only understood bullfights, but that it is considered an art in diff cultures, including the Romans. It is called "tauromaquia" in Spanish. The pageantry in the beginning, what with the parade into the bullring and the live music, has always impressed me. Then, as the actual fight starts...it usually ends up in boring me and I leave. (Heck of an attitude, I'd say, to have re: a spectable about life and death. I mean, we know that one of them, the matador or the bull, is not going to make it) . Best, xm

Maybe there should be a section in the forum open to discuss about such things (culture) which are also part of your Camino experience.

Excellent idea. In a sense it's already happening here with our exchanges as we write about us, opinions, and world-views. And, from what I see, man, do we come from all parts of the globe :!: A separate section on the subject of culture might make it easier & accesible to find info re: important cultural aspects to know about the lands where the routes go through, as well as of the pilgrims that walk them.

Best,

xm 8)

Maybe there should be a section in the forum open to discuss about such things which are also part of your Camino experience.

Good idea... since most of you are traveling to Spain to do the pilgrimage, you are also traveling to a new culture... food, traditions and more. So a section on this is a good idea. The category has been created and this thread has been moved to it.

Un saludo,
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wonder if this section's name could be one that's inclusive of all cultures that come together on the Caminos, instead of only Spanish culture...Perhaps: Camino cultures, or... Also, I don't think Spaniards would say (I may be wrong, but here it goes), that there is one Spanish culture. The culture in Galicia is different from Navarra, Asturias from Andalucia, and so on. Matter of fact, historically, it's been known as "Las Españas," vis-a-vis, "España." Best, xm 8)

BTW, thanks to Ulysse for his excellent idea re: this section, and to Ivar for implementing it. Best, xm 8)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.