• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Porto now and already lost

lovelyshell

Time of past OR future Camino
October/November 2016
I just went to the cathedral to get my credential stamped and take a look at the arrows heading out. I followed them but them saw no more. I see some markers nearby for the Coast but I’d like to do the central. Does anyone know if there is a detailed map showing how to get out of town? I don’t really want to get lost when I start out tomorrow morning… I tended to get lost a few times leaving the cities when I did the Frances. Trying to avoid that. Appreciate any help!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just went to the cathedral to get my credential stamped and take a look at the arrows heading out. I followed them but them saw no more. I see some markers nearby for the Coast but I’d like to do the central. Does anyone know if there is a detailed map showing how to get out of town? I don’t really want to get lost when I start out tomorrow morning… I tended to get lost a few times leaving the cities when I did the Frances. Trying to avoid that. Appreciate any help!
I had the same problem last year, had to use the map constantly on buen Camino! Returned last month and walked the first section of the coastal route which was lovely....after the first few km walking along the road! It is possible to change onto the central but not sure were exactly! Bom Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We received our credencial and stamp the day before we left. We had encountered some pilgrims in our days exploring Porto before we started our camino who got lost departing from the cathedral, so we started at the corner of the Carmelite church (there's actually two lovely churches side by side) on the Rua do Carmo. This gets you past the jumble of streets, ups and downs, twists and turns, and while there's a few arrows from then on that take a moment or two to locate, it's mostly a straight shot of town. But be forewarned: the city seems endless. It's many hours before you finally leave Porto behind you. Your likely romantic memories of lovely Porto will be colored by pavement, pavement and more pavement walking beside a seemingly infinite line of forgettable buildings.

I’ll start the central from the cathedral on Thursday, so following your thread (and footsteps!) closely. I have both the Buen Camino (free) and wise Pilgrim (paid) apps that have live or downloadable maps of the central. Also downloaded 2022 Brierly from my library, which has turn by turn directions (but that’s too hard to read while walking!). I hope you’ll post here as you go! Bom caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ll start the central from the cathedral on Thursday, so following your thread (and footsteps!) closely. I have both the Buen Camino (free) and wise Pilgrim (paid) apps that have live or downloadable maps of the central. Also downloaded 2022 Brierly from my library, which has turn by turn directions (but that’s too hard to read while walking!). I hope you’ll post here as you go! Bom caminho!
Look for @Elle Bieling reply below! Super detailed with photos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I appreciate its only a screenshot but this is from my maps me. The predominantly black marked route is the Central route out from Porto. Unfortunately I had to use this offline map as the arrows at the time were very confusing as there are three routes out of Porto. Hopefully all will go well tomorrow and you will find your way. May your God be with you and Bom Camino. Daniel

Screenshot_20230410_220631_MAPSME.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks @dougfitz I have WP app so I will turn on my data and use that!
As others have noted, you can download the maps in Wise Pilgrim when you are using WiFi.

I generally find leaving cities like Porto a little more difficult, and don't have any expectation other than at some stage I might get lost and need help to get back on track. I hope things go well for you, and you don't get too disoriented.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Funnny - we wanted to walk along the coast, got our stamp at the cathedral and happily followed the arrows for a long time. When we started wondering why it was taking so long to reach the coast we found we were on the central! So going by our experience you are quite likely to end up on the central anyway, even without a map…

I had a similar problem last October leaving Porto.

I had my Brierly map with me yet Porto is a bit confusing because there are several ways out of town to several routes! YIKES!

What I did was I stopped often, sometimes even every block, and asked along the way if I was going in the right direction. I pulled out the map and pointed to where I wanted to go (my Spanish was still inadequate, at that early stage). A puzzled look on my face, a finger pointed hesitantly in a direction, and shop owners, bartenders, and locals along the way were happy to keep me on the right path.

I remember stopping in a bicycle shop along the way for directions and getting into a cheerful conversation about how it was confusing.

Do not be afraid or embarrassed to ask often. It's better than assuming you are going the right way and then finding out you have to backtrack.

I walked the Central, By the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Getting lost is actually an important opportunity to talk to a local and should be embraced as part of your own unique pilgrimage.

Thanks for all the advice. I used the GPS to get out of Porto. Interestingly I only saw four other people on my walk, but many more walking towards the coast. Unfortunately I started getting violently ill while walking. I could barely walk 500 feet before dropping to exhaustion. I found a hotel in Maia that had no availability but they called me an ambulance and I’m now somewhere outside Porto at the hospital. They gave me a shot to stop the vomiting but I am still waiting to see the doctor. Hoping I get an IV because I’m very dehydrated. Hopefully I’ll be back on the Camino tomorrow!

Thanks for all the advice. I used the GPS to get out of Porto. Interestingly I only saw four other people on my walk, but many more walking towards the coast. Unfortunately I started getting violently ill while walking. I could barely walk 500 feet before dropping to exhaustion. I found a hotel in Maia that had no availability but they called me an ambulance and I’m now somewhere outside Porto at the hospital. They gave me a shot to stop the vomiting but I am still waiting to see the doctor. Hoping I get an IV because I’m very dehydrated. Hopefully I’ll be back on the Camino tomorrow!
Oh no! Sending healing thoughts your way, lovelyshell. Wishing you well!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh no! Sending healing thoughts your way, lovelyshell. Wishing you well!
Thank you. I am trying to get out of the hospital and get to Vilar do Pinheiro tonight. I stopped just before the industrial zone of Maia so I’m just going to skip that and get back on the Camino tomorrow morning. Luckily I had a rest day built into my schedule!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just read some of your replies, I hope you're better and on the Caminho!

But about the subject of the topic: before starting in Porto, I did a little google maps navigating looking for arrows (just the first meters). When I started walking, I eventually had to look a map in an app I downloaded because sometimes it gets confusing, but only at the start. After maybe 1,5 kms It gets pretty clear and you'll be good.

Also most people I met along the way started on the coastal and then went for the Central at the end of the 1 day, I guess.
Be carefull with the first 2 days on the Central because you body is still adapting to walking long distances and there's a lot of road walking.

Buen Camino!

I just read some of your replies, I hope you're better and on the Caminho!

But about the subject of the topic: before starting in Porto, I did a little google maps navigating looking for arrows (just the first meters). When I started walking, I eventually had to look a map in an app I downloaded because sometimes it gets confusing, but only at the start. After maybe 1,5 kms It gets pretty clear and you'll be good.

Also most people I met along the way started on the coastal and then went for the Central at the end of the 1 day, I guess.
Be carefull with the first 2 days on the Central because you body is still adapting to walking long distances and there's a lot of road walking.

Buen Camino!
You know your town better than I do but the best I think is to get down as soon as possible from the Cathedral to the river level to arrive on the waymarked Coastal trail
From the Sé cathedral to Vila do Conde is about 30 kms so most pilgrims will do that in 2 days . Twice I did this by short walks to Matosinhos to get used to the shoes, backpack and walking rhythm and once directly to Angeiras to stay at the Orbitur camping .

abraço e bom caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back