• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In praise of PMs

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
The forum can be a great place to have your say, or quickly answer a technical question that others may be interested in, but at times it can be like shouting in a crowded bar. I've recently returned to using private conversations, PMs to make contact with other users who I wanted to communicate with. Think of it as taking a drink out unto the beer garden and finding someone to have a quiet chat with.

This has proved to be a fascinating experience and we been able to discuss things in depth, stuff we'd never publicly post. And it's not just like minded folk, some of the most fascinating chats have been with people who have a very different view on the world then I do, I found it enlightening to exchange ideas and listen to their point of view.

You can start a PM by hitting the profile pic of anyone, then the conversation button, they can be one on one, or you can set up a small group (mini forum). You don't have to reply (and please don't be in a rush to start one with me, I have a few going on at the moment), and just like the forum you can leave, or report a PM if you feel you are being trolled.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a sincere question. What is the difference between lurking and trolling?

P. S. At first I thought your post said "In praise of PMS"...which in the U.S. is a medical term for Pre Menstral Syndrome, a monthly female condition that never brings praises! So out of curiosity I read your post and discovered I had it all wrong! ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My take on it is this...
Lurking is just hanging around reading but not otherwise participating or making your presence known.
Trolling is posting silly or provocative comments in an effort to get people riled up.
Thank you, C clearly for "clearing" that up for me. :) Well, now you've got me wondering about my above comment as I was being rather silly about PMS. Would that be considered trolling? :eek:

Thank you, C clearly for "clearing" that up for me. :) Well, now you've got me wondering about my above comment as I was being rather silly about PMS. Would that be considered trolling? :eek:
No, that was just making a silly joke. You were not posting an inflammatory remark so you could watch the ensuing train wreck, which is what trolls do.

Trolling is intentionally posting things/content that you know would get people up in arms, hence the forum rule here that bullfights are an absolute no-no topic or that politics shouldn't be mentioned. These are typical topics trolls would/could have a field day with. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At first I thought your post said "In praise of PMS"...which in the U.S. is a medical term for Pre Menstral Syndrome, a monthly female condition that never brings praises! So out of curiosity I read your post and discovered I had it all wrong! ;)
Ha, yes that would be a totally different conversation! I wondered why people refer to them as PMs as they are not Private Messages, but Private Conversations... But I guess it might get a bit confusing if we started talking about sending PCs to each other.

Not related, but I notice on that on the page info that along with the many members, there are over 170 robots on line on the forum at the moment. This puzzles me. I've never seen a tin man clanking along the Camino, or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Not related, but I notice on that on the page info that along with the many members, there are over 170 robots on line on the forum at the moment. This puzzles me. I've never seen a tin man clanking along the Camino, or have I got the wrong end of the stick.
Click here for a previous thread on the topic!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back