• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In praise of Sanabria

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
Lovely lovely Sanabria, looking magnificent in its autumn colours. Normally, I've stayed in Mombuey, having a possibly slightly perverse liking for its albergue-barn - an affection which would probably not survive having to share it with someone. One day, perhaps, I will be able to see inside the unusual church with its Templar tower. But not this time.

This time, having read rave reviews of a restaurant in Rionegro del Puente, I rearranged my schedule to stay the night there. And I'm really glad I did. The albergue is 5 star, and the restaurant outstanding. Teo, the restaurant's chef, was also hospitalero on Thursday, so knew I was keen to eat. I hope he didn't open specially for me, as I was the only person in. Probably the best caldo galego I've ever eaten, and I've had some good ones (and some watery ones as well), and tuna, and tiramisu, and clear orujo. Yum. And our politics overlapped, so I was finally able to express my disbelief at the state honours offered to the person who bankrupted Valencia, and when I asked about the number of ancien regime street names in Tábara (streets and plazas named after Sotelo, Primo de la Rivera, Franco, Capitan Cortés etc) he answered simply "son todos fascistas". Which was a bit depressing, as I like Tábara, its albergue, its Roble restaurant, and, on my first visit in 2010, I especially liked its interpretation centre on its Visigothic and later scriptorium, since sadly closed by the crisis.

Puebla de Sanabria is another delight, with its wolf museum, its daunting castle reached by a vertiginous staircase, its excellent (Michelin bib gourmand) restaurant Posada, near the castle, and its swift flowing and dark (almost as black as the Rionegro) Tera, one's occasionally illusive companion of the previous few days.

This time I stayed at the private albergue at Villanueva de las Peras (10€, very good - the top floor of a house, with 3 twin bedrooms, kitchen, comfy sitting room etc), Rionegro del Puente (7€, kitchen and washing machine - only takes 2€ coins, free drier), Asturianos (5€, next to a bar by the polideportivo, basic but fine) and Requejo (5€, horrible plastic mattress and pillow covers but otherwise fine).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderful description of the places I remember so well - particularly the restaurant in Rionegro.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lovely lovely Sanabria, looking magnificent in its autumn colours. Normally, I've stayed in Mombuey, having a possibly slightly perverse liking for its albergue-barn - an affection which would probably not survive having to share it with someone. One day, perhaps, I will be able to see inside the unusual church with its Templar tower. But not this time.

This time, having read rave reviews of a restaurant in Rionegro del Puente, I rearranged my schedule to stay the night there. And I'm really glad I did. The albergue is 5 star, and the restaurant outstanding. Teo, the restaurant's chef, was also hospitalero on Thursday, so knew I was keen to eat. I hope he didn't open specially for me, as I was the only person in. Probably the best caldo galego I've ever eaten, and I've had some good ones (and some watery ones as well), and tuna, and tiramisu, and clear orujo. Yum. And our politics overlapped, so I was finally able to express my disbelief at the state honours offered to the person who bankrupted Valencia, and when I asked about the number of ancien regime street names in Tábara (streets and plazas named after Sotelo, Primo de la Rivera, Franco, Capitan Cortés etc) he answered simply "son todos fascistas". Which was a bit depressing, as I like Tábara, its albergue, its Roble restaurant, and, on my first visit in 2010, I especially liked its interpretation centre on its Visigothic and later scriptorium, since sadly closed by the crisis.

Puebla de Sanabria is another delight, with its wolf museum, its daunting castle reached by a vertiginous staircase, its excellent (Michelin bib gourmand) restaurant Posada, near the castle, and its swift flowing and dark (almost as black as the Rionegro) Tera, one's occasionally illusive companion of the previous few days.

This time I stayed at the private albergue at Villanueva de las Peras (10€, very good - the top floor of a house, with 3 twin bedrooms, kitchen, comfy sitting room etc), Rionegro del Puente (7€, kitchen and washing machine - only takes 2€ coins, free drier), Asturianos (5€, next to a bar by the polideportivo, basic but fine) and Requejo (5€, horrible plastic mattress and pillow covers but otherwise fine).

Very informative, thank you, as I shall be walking this stretch, next May, recommending from Zamora.
Would be grateful to read of the remainder of your overnight stays!

Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Buen Camino

It feels like I just left there... I've been home for 2.5 weeks and for almost 2 weeks I've been hobbling around the house after a simple (pre-planned) leg op. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I wish I was walking those mountains right now. :(

Have a GREAT walk :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This time, having read rave reviews of a restaurant in Rionegro del Puente, .......

Alan, I loved your reference to Rionegro Albergue as 5 star! I was astounded by it when I stayed in 2012, when it had not long been opened. Is the restaurant you refer to the one across the square that holds the key?
Hoping to roll in your footsteps next year.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back