• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In Punta La Reina Second Time Round

rector

ONE HALF
Time of past OR future Camino
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
Several months ago Rebekah intimated that a second camino experience is different from the first and so it is. Here are some of the things that we have already noticed.
1 Route de Napoleon is no harder than Valcarlos we did one hour quicker and the views were wonderful.
2 We are not pilgrims as some would see it because this time we have booked hotels hostels casa rurals etc ahead and whilst you may not have the same sharing experience as in alburgues you do have the certainty of a bed and you are more relaxed.
3 There are many more people doing the camino than 3 years ago.
4 There are more coffee stops and Alburgues than 3 years ago
5 Pilgrims seem to have strained panic stricken looks on their faces as they race for accommodation of which there seems to be ample. Has someone started an urban
an myth
6 Most pilgrims only look forward rarely do they take in the view from behind.
7 Stillness cannot be captured only experienced.
8 And hey we are enjoying every minute of it Estella and an albergue tomorrow double room of course.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh I stop and smell the roses believe me. Especially when it comes to the hilly parts haha. I stop and look around mainly to get a breather but to also look at what's around me and I feel in awe. Such beautiful scenery thats taken for granted in our everyday lives.

Wish it wasn't so hot and sunny tho , I'm wearing factor 50 but still burnt to a crisp. Not so good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Several months ago Rebekah intimated that a second camino experience is different from the first and so it is. Here are some of the things that we have already noticed.
1 Route de Napoleon is no harder than Valcarlos we did one hour quicker and the views were wonderful.
2 We are not pilgrims as some would see it because this time we have booked hotels hostels casa rurals etc ahead and whilst you may not have the same sharing experience as in alburgues you do have the certainty of a bed and you are more relaxed.
5 Pilgrims seem to have strained panic stricken looks on their faces as they race for accommodation of which there seems to be ample. Has someone started an urban
an myth
8 And hey we are enjoying every minute of it Estella and an albergue tomorrow double room of course.

You are absolutely right about No 6. As well as seeing the wonderful views behind you there is that amazing sense of achievement on seeing all the kilometers you have already walked...definitely spurs you on!

I particularly like No. 6. It is so easy to get fixated on the next few miles, how far to lunch, will there be a bed space - and it is all fear. Stopping regularly to take a break and look back to where one has been is so empowering - all that distance, you feel like you can walk round the world! ... helps re-focus one to the present, to the now, to the experience - rather than the fear associated with 'what happens next'

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You are absolutely right about No 6. As well as seeing the wonderful views behind you there is that amazing sense of achievement on seeing all the kilometers you have already walked...definitely spurs you on!

I remember lots of early mornings spent walking backwards because the sunrise behind me (always behind me!) was just so drop dead gorgeous, especially on the Meseta. So mesmerizing to watch that little hint of light start eating the stars up, till a full blown orange fireball striped the sky, making the first shadows of the day...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the most memorable moments of backward looking was at the vista just before entering O Cebreiro and seeing where I had been a few days before - at the Cruz de Ferro - and understanding better the concept of the layering of hills and mountains!

Another memorable backward view is from the top of the Mostelares plateau, height 980 meters, located just west of Castrojeriz. Here the view from 'the top of the world' is well worth the steep climb up. One can see widely for many kilometers; back to the east the path taken and ahead to the west the path to take! Each time I take a deep breath, give silent thanks for a successful climb and shout "Ultreia!"

MM

an myth
I just read your post and do have a question why are you avoiding Alberque this time around. My wife is concerned about her privaticy and is pushing for hotels. I feel that part of the Camino experience is the staying in Alberque. Your thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just read your post and do have a question why are you avoiding Alberque this time around. My wife is concerned about her privaticy and is pushing for hotels. I feel that part of the Camino experience is the staying in Alberque. Your thoughts?
Sorry for not replying before but there was poor wi fi
We are doing it this way because we can and for serious family reasons we have had to put this off for two years. Your wife deserves what she asks for. I have slept with many men in my previous incarnation and no longer get pleasure from it. I do need my sleep though and we did stay in the alburgue juveniles in Estella in a very clean though basic room, however our room 217 is burned into my brain, it was next to the men's wash room and the plumbing went up our wall. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MEN USE THE TOILET AT 4 30AM? Sorry Kanga For using capitals but it is the only way to convey my feelings

Sorry for not replying before but there was poor wi fi
We are doing it this way because we can and for serious family reasons we have had to put this off for two years. Your wife deserves what she asks for. I have slept with many men in my previous incarnation and no longer get pleasure from it. I do need my sleep though and we did stay in the alburgue juveniles in Estella in a very clean though basic room, however our room 217 is burned into my brain, it was next to the men's wash room and the plumbing went up our wall. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MEN USE THE TOILET AT 4 30AM? Sorry Kanga For using capitals but it is the only way to convey my feelings
Thank you for responding and yes my wife deserves to get what she wants and I do my best. I on the other hand want to experience the Camino in its glory. So for me it might be a night or two alone in a Albergue while honey stays in a nice hotel. Again thank you for your reply.

My husband and I stayed in a mix of albergues and private rooms and developed very close relationships with other pilgrims. We will shoot for private rooms, but happily sleep in albergues when we complete the second half of the Frances, beginning on June 2. I just feel that I sleep better in my own room and am a little more comfortable with a bit of privacy. We also managed to avoid a nasty respiratory infection that was going around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another memorable backward view is from the top of the Mostelares plateau, height 980 meters, located just west of Castrojeriz. Here the view from 'the top of the world' is well worth the steep climb up. One can see widely for many kilometers; back to the east the path taken and ahead to the west the path to take! Each time I take a deep breath, give silent thanks for a successful climb and shout "Ultreia!"

MM

I completely agree, in fact it is my favorite photo from my 2012 Camino -- Looking west off the plateau, miles and miles of just green. Gorgeous.

It is hard to watch the disintegration of a human being and their metamorphosis into a pilgrim.
When you sit in St Jean and see all those pristine people sipping their cognac and coffee it is hard to imagine that clean cut sophisticates will by Villafranca be dishevelled beasts trying to be first in line for the perigrino meal and swilling cheap wine. It is hard to believe that they will try to get the cheapest meal in town and the cheapest lodging and this is the case hard luck To those in Villafranca tonight we were first in line OK! Ya boo!

€46,-
I reflect each day on how the camino has changed in the last three years since our last wee walk. Today as we looked out over Castrojerez from the alto above the stream of pilgrims seemed endless and tonight there does not seem to be room for everyone who is arriving. Those who are doing it at this time appear to be, in the main, either over 55 or around the twenties with few between. The facilities are vastly improved and better meet the needs of the varied nationalities and people also seem even more open and friendly than ever. It is also a lot colder, people either side of us have suffered snow hail and there is a very cold wind blowing, but that all makes it easier to walk in. Has anyone else noticed any changes.

Hey Rector as you know this is out first Camino all I would say is that we have found all (except MAMILs ) really easy to get on with Pilgrims and Spanish / everyone has made this Camino experience wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hey Rector as you know this is out first Camino all I would say is that we have found all (except MAMILs ) really easy to get on with Pilgrims and Spanish / everyone has made this Camino experience wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
We all only get out what we put in and what you put I is your open friendly nature, so that's what you have had returned. Now the two of you have a great time inParis. All the best Skippy Linda and John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back