• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In search of: Adorable albergue stage before Santander

TheBigMan

Dear all,

I heard there must be an adorable albergue near El Astillero, one stage before entering Santander. This albergue should be very special. My aunt told me about it, but she doens’t know anymore where it exactly was located or how the Albergue was named.

Does somebody know which Albergue she might be refering to?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola

It may be in Güemes, she means.
Ernesto has an incredible albergue there, which I found to be one of the most interesting places I have visited on my caminos.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hi, TheBigMan, welcome to the forum.

Astillero is actually not on the usual route followed by pilgrims into Santander. The day before entering Santander, the standard option is the albergue at Güemes http://alberguedeguemes.com/index.html Most people would describe it as special, there is a communal dinner, it´s run by a priest (?) with other charitable ventures that he likes to explain to pilgrims at a group meeting upstairs.

For people who don´t want to go through Santander, you can take the variant that goes south of the city through Astillero. There is an albergue there, but I don´t have any first hand knowledge of it. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-peregrinos-nuestra-senora-de-muslera

I think I remember that a few forum members have been in the albergue in Astillero, like mike and lovingkindness, so maybe they will weigh in. But my guess is that your aunt is referring to the albergue in Güemes, which is always mentioned by pilgrims as one of the special stops.

Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is also an alberge 10 kms west of Santander called "La Santa Cruz" at Santa Cruz de Benzana which is run by a Spanish woman and her husband which is a fantastic place to spend the night. Very clean, comfortable, and superb food, it was probably the best place I stayed on the whole trip. Undoubtedly your aunt is talking about the hostel at Guemes run by Father Earnesto. If you don't want to spend the night in Santander, it is possible to walk from Guemes, through Santander and onto Santa Cruz de Benzana in one day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Once you are off the boat in Santander, do give yourself some time to get your bearing.
I rushed of and spend a couple of hours lost in industrial/suburban area.
The yellow arrows are sparse and very few could point me at the direction of the camino.

Lettinggo

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.