• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In search of the best 'Flan' on the Camino?

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
So , most of the time when feasting on a pilgrims menu , it ends off with a small tub of yogurt or an ice cream? my advice is ask for an alternative , a flan which most restaurants and bars have.
My best flan ever was in a small town 10 miles from Burgos , a goat's milk flan - I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
In Viana I was presented with a form of a 'whole wheat' flan which had more body to it. it was the equivalent to brown bread or brown rice - does anyone have a recipe for it? I am just one of these people that think that white bread or rice can be second best russia and camino 2014 026.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You’ll probably disqualify my entry: either on the basis that it was not on “The” Camino (but it was on “A” Camino - Le Puy...), or on the basis that it was not part of a Pilgrim Menu (but it was on a menu...), or on the basis that it wasn’t described as a Flan (described as a Tarte), or maybe all of the above...🙃

I any event, I submit the Tarte aux Fruits Rouges, sampled in Aubrac in 2019 BC...

1635212919721.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You’ll probably disqualify my entry ....

Not a chance , it sure looks GOOOOOD!
Edit - this keeps in line with the simplicity and history of food? Like my flan . was probably made the same 100 years ago , so your Tarta has been made the same way with the same ingredients for generations?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ate a lot of flan(s) on the Camino. Some good, some processed but none really all that bad. Besides, I'm always hungry when walking the Camino. Everything tastes good to me.
Personally I feel I make the best flan. Have made several recipes but the one I like the best has coffee included in the recipe. Yum...

I'd never seen 'Flan' till I went on my first Camino.

I think the closest Brit equivalent would be Creme Caramel?

But I had a very yummy one in Fonfria!

I buy my " Custard tarts" in the supermarket and just pretend! OK so flans they aint
but hey who cares, my stomach still thinks its on Camino :)

Samarkand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If there is a "best" flan I've never had it. In fact, I've never had a good flan. 😂
I've had plenty of "not so good" flans on the Camino. They are made from box mixes like our "instant" powder pudding mixes in the US. However, when you hit a Pilgrim meal jackpot and the included dessert is a home-made flan, it is definitely the very "best"...yum!😋

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having just returned from the CF just last week, I can agree that most flan found on menu's is mostly mediocre. But, as previously mentioned, when you get that home-made flan it has you searching for more, as was the case in Melide at the restaurant Pulperia Garnacha. The pulpo there was the second best I had on the Camino (best was in Finisterre at El Puerto de Fisterra on Paseo Ribeira at the port), but the flan was excellent, as was several other home-made postres that night. Definitely recommend both the pulpo and flan at Pulperia Garnacha in Melide.

Ohhh, I just located he photo I'd taken of one of my favorite flans on the Norte at a restaurant in Cornellana on the main street, but I can not recall its name.
Notice all the whip cream and yummy sauce and the flan peeking out...I think I'd already had a bite or two.😋
P.S. The texture of homemade flan is entirely different than those package mixes, which are smooth and rather slimy.😝
Edit- That said, I am happy and thankful for any meal put before me on the Camino...grateful is the word.

Screenshot_20211026-100922~2.png

Last edited:
Here's the recipe.: Make caramel: Melt a cup of sugar in very little water in a heavy pan until it turns brown. Pour a little into the bottom of 12 ramkins (depends on size). Cool until set.
Flan: beat 10 eggs in 2 litres of milk, if you like it sweet, add one tin(300ml) condensed milk. Strain twice. Pour into the ramkins: cook in a bain maire for 90 minutes at 150C. You can cook this in a microwave if you don't use the caramel, or pour the caramel over the set egg custard after. In Portugal, they make a single big cream caramel in a streamer (Like the English use for steam puddings) and cut slices.
Spanish and French cooking does not believe that cholesterol is a bad thing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's the recipe.: Make caramel: Melt a cup of sugar in very little water in a heavy pan until it turns brown. Pour a little into the bottom of 12 ramkins (depends on size). Cool until set.
Flan: beat 10 eggs in 2 litres of milk, if you like it sweet, add one tin(300ml) condensed milk. Strain twice. Pour into the ramkins: cook in a bain maire for 90 minutes at 150C. You can cook this in a microwave if you don't use the caramel, or pour the caramel over the set egg custard after. In Portugal, they make a single big cream caramel in a streamer (Like the English use for steam puddings) and cut slices.
I will try this someday and post a pic . PS. there is no cholesterol , vegetarians or vegans in Spain.

Too much work for me, but it sounds delightful and I'm sure that is exactly the reason that home-made flan is so awesome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure how you would get a whole wheat flan as there is no wheat component to any recipe I've seen? I probably ate flan at least a dozen times across the CF. I've made it at home as well - 😋

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hands down the best flan you can find on the Camino is a proper Flan Catalàn, but that's to be found really only on the Via del Ebro and the Camì Catalàn/Camino Ignaciano, and then only in Catalonia, and even there you have to get lucky.

A good Castilian flan is acceptable, but it pales in comparison to a properly prepared Catalan one.

Last edited:
Hi Jabba, I'll take any flan prepared properly with a tried and true recipe. Perhaps the Catalan recipe has found its way to other areas of Spain.🙂
I had a friend who made made flan from scratch; a recipe from her grandmother in Brazil. It was outstanding and was my first experience.

Hi Jabba, I'll take any flan prepared properly with a tried and true recipe. Perhaps the Catalan recipe has found its way to other areas of Spain.🙂
Doubtful, though there is a version of it in French Catalonia. Maybe in Valencia ? It really is different from even other good flans.

€83,-
Many really good flan recipes out there and most are very easy and quick to make. The longest part of the process is the chilling to let it set properly. A good flan pan also helps. You can find them online.

In Michener’s book Iberia he devoted some of the chapter Madrid on flan. A man known as Don Manalo was the master of making flan. His recipe is part of that chapter. Very detailed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You’ll probably disqualify my entry: either on the basis that it was not on “The” Camino (but it was on “A” Camino - Le Puy...), or on the basis that it was not part of a Pilgrim Menu (but it was on a menu...), or on the basis that it wasn’t described as a Flan (described as a Tarte), or maybe all of the above...🙃

I any event, I submit the Tarte aux Fruits Rouges, sampled in Aubrac in 2019 BC...

View attachment 112035
sensational and totally irresistible ... from «Chez Germaine» ... j’adore ♥️

Attachments

• 8B8C1838-12EA-45E6-80C9-33EF3B4AF6BE.jpeg
    8B8C1838-12EA-45E6-80C9-33EF3B4AF6BE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 6F2C0486-7C62-4F74-B7CE-49942F61FDE8.jpeg
    6F2C0486-7C62-4F74-B7CE-49942F61FDE8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.