• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Korea - In the Footsteps of Wonhyo

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There has been increased interest from Koreans in doing the Camino de Santiago.

However at the same time, interest in developing a camino like way in Korea continues to grow.

To learn more click on this link

http://inthefootstepsofwonhyo.com
This is very interesting. At an albergue on the Francés, while there was a great deal of socializing going on among the peregrinos, there was one gentleman who seemed to have chosen to sit entirely on his own, away from others. At one point, rather than walk right by him, I stopped .... more to acknowledge his existence than to engage him in conversation, as I sensed that he wanted / needed his solitude. My exchange of conversation with this gentleman, who said he was Korean, I kept very short for obvious reasons, but one of the things I learned from him is that the Koreans place very great importance on what he called "brain health." If I recall correctly, he said that employers allow their employees sufficient time off to go on pilgrimages such as the Camino. It would be wonderful for the Koreans if a pilgrimage site on their own turf is in the making.

Back to the Korean gentleman .... someone at the albergue mentioned to me later that evening that she thought this gentleman was unfriendly. I was glad that I was able to share with her my take on the situation. Still, it is strange the different perspectives people can have.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.