• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In the House of Andres Segovia - Spanish Music - Selection No 11

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I look forward to watching this video, thanks so much for posting. I remember that when I went with some Spanish friends to see Narciso Yepes perform the Concierto de Aranjuez many many years ago, they told me that Joaquín Rodrigo (the composer) had offered Segovia the chance to play the premier performance, but he had refused because he thought the concierto wasn’t good enough. They also told me that he disdained flamenco. But aside from those two strikes against him (in my unsophisticated musical book, at least), I know that the world recognizes him as the 20th century’s best guitarist. I often listen to his music, and for me the Albeniz Granada is about as pretty as it gets.

C clearly, your comment prompted me to dig deeper. Now I have the ten things I needed to know about Andrés Segovia.

And I found that he said this: "Paco de Lucía no es ni flamenco ni músico, sólo tiene unos dedos listos". (Paco de Lucía is neither flamenco nor a musician, he just has some really clever fingers.”) I think that tips the scale for me in favor of Paco de Lucía and flamenco, but I don’t deny Segovia’s genius.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ahhh, more strife and conflict among the virtuosi. I suppose it is not surprising, but it is sad.

Julian Bream joins the slugfest in the comments at the end of the article. He apparently said that Segovia was a very gifted guitarist but not a gifted musician. Can someone explain what that means?

@gerardcarey very interesting. Out of curiosity, which did you prefer? I liked the Williams' rendition better.

I agree with you, Kanga, but here, IMO is a more emotive version than either of them. I heard her play it years ago.

As a failed guitarist and a wishful thinking Amateur Wimbledon class tennis player, Impressionist painter, poor wordsmith - I just enjoy what I recognise within me as delight when my taste in music is there for me to pay attention to it. Thanks for the three versions, I enjoyed them all.

C clearly, your comment prompted me to dig deeper. Now I have the ten things I needed to know about Andrés Segovia.

And I found that he said this: "Paco de Lucía no es ni flamenco ni músico, sólo tiene unos dedos listos". (Paco de Lucía is neither flamenco nor a musician, he just has some really clever fingers.”) I think that tips the scale for me in favor of Paco de Lucía and flamenco, but I don’t deny Segovia’s genius.
Segovia was a complicated person with many views that probably rub some people up the wrong way. He was an undisputed Maestro of the guitar.
One of my favorite Segovia recollections is that he was informed that one of the Beetles had stated that "Segovia was the father of all Guitarists" Segovias response was either " Some children are Illegitimate!" or "Not all children are legitimate!" John Williams and Julian Bream both stated that he was a hard task master and finger techniques had to be "Just So" and alternatives were frowned upon.
BTW my daughters guitar teacher was a pupil of Paco de Lucia and she managed to a good level of proficiency. When i completed one of my Camino's I was requested to bring back some Gallician sheet music for Guitar. Which I managed to find in a music shop in Santiago de Compostella.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back