• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In the Meseta now, please help me get a bike

nassim

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there, I am now in Castrojeriz in the Meseta. My feet are killing me, every step today was excruciating. I am also having some pain in my ankle where I sprained it a while back. I was telling someone that I was thinking of renting a bike once I get to Leon, since I didn’t do it in Burgos, and she said that there are actually bike rental services that will bring the bike to where you are. Do you have experience with this? Can you recommend any good bike rental companies?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry about your situation. I tried to find something but having no luck. Perhaps if you google the sentence: I am looking for a bicycle for hire, and translate it into Spanish, then someone local might understand and know how to help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks! I actually speak Spanish and asked the owner of the albergue, he said he knows this service exists but didn’t know anything about it. I did just call a service but need to call back in a bit. We‘ll see if they’re able to send something quickly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you can get yourself to Burgos, there is a Decathlon store then and you can pick up a bike off the shelf there. When you get to SdC, Correos next to the cathedral will send it back to Switzerland for about €100.

Alternatively you can contact Bicigrinos or BikeIberia who can rent one for between €200 - 300 depending on the length of time.

I've done this - picking up a Decathlon bike in Logrono - and found it more convenient than hiring, but it depends on whether you intend to keep the bike later.

As regards the rental option, I can't say as I have not done it, but I know BikeIberia have English speaking staff. Try their cell on +351 96 963 0369

The number for Bicigrinos is on their site

You could take a bus or taxi to Burgos to get the bike.
Yes, I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of this. There are lots of bike rental places there. I'm going to see in the morning bc i did find one that can deliver, as well as a cheaper one that won't have anything until next week.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Let us know how you go, @nassim .
You're probably not the only person who is interested in this. It did sound like they will deliver bikes, even if it sounds too good to be true.
I haven't figured out what I'm doing yet but actually met someone who was very excited about this option so we did a bit of research. I will post an update later but for now i can say it seems that prices range from 15-30 a day and the drop off fee is about 25. Though the cheaper option i found isn't available till next week.

If you can get yourself to Burgos, there is a Decathlon store then and you can pick up a bike off the shelf there. When you get to SdC, Correos next to the cathedral will send it back to Switzerland for about €100.

Alternatively you can contact Bicigrinos or BikeIberia who can rent one for between €200 - 300 depending on the length of time.

I've done this - picking up a Decathlon bike in Logrono - and found it more convenient than hiring, but it depends on whether you intend to keep the bike later.

As regards the rental option, I can't say as I have not done it, but I know BikeIberia have English speaking staff. Try their cell on +351 96 963 0369

The number for Bicigrinos is on their site

Buying a bike could be a really good idea actually. But in Switzerland I'd want a hydrid I think and it seems that for the camino people recommend mountain bikes. Is that what you used?

Used an MTB - ST520. This is a "hardtail" with an 80mm drop and disc brakes. The brakes were good enough for the drop down from Cruz de Ferro. Get panniers too to keep your centre of gravity low.

Met another bicigrino who purchased a simple road bike with v-brakes which did the job but I prefer having discs for the additional braking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seriously in your current position I wouldn’t be too specific about the details of the bike. Get a taxi, go to Decathalon in Burgos, buy the cheapest bike that’ll get you to Santiago and donate it to the first person you see without a bike when you get there. The one which Mr Beef suggested above is listed at €240 (if it still exists, is in stock etc. etc.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Health and safety announcement -

I agree with @henrythedog that you do not need to spend a lot - but your decision should be influenced by the brakes. Spain is the second most mountainous country in Europe after Switzerland and being from Switzerland, you should appreciate the effects of momentum and descending steep hills (of which there are a few after the Meseta)

If you have a rucksack then either swap it for panniers or get it sent ahead with Correos or Jacotrans as the weight can change your centre of gravity.

We'd like you to finish the Camino in one piece.

I used Cycling Rentals, they were terrific providing me a bike in Pamplona, it was at my hotel before I was. I am not sure how fast they could deliver a bike to Castrojeriz but they are very responsive and drop-off is a piece of cake.
BTW, the reason I rented the bike was because of the neuropathic pain in my right foot, if you are in pain pedaling is just as difficult as walking, trust me. It is fun to zoom down hills and ring your bell as you pass pilgrims but I ended up walking the bike up lots of hill, ouf!

Hi there, I am now in Castrojeriz in the Meseta. My feet are killing me, every step today was excruciating. I am also having some pain in my ankle where I sprained it a while back. I was telling someone that I was thinking of renting a bike once I get to Leon, since I didn’t do it in Burgos, and she said that there are actually bike rental services that will bring the bike to where you are. Do you have experience with this? Can you recommend any good bike rental companies?
Burgos bike shop. Great service. Great bikes. I used them in 2018

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seriously in your current position I wouldn’t be too specific about the details of the bike. Get a taxi, go to Decathalon in Burgos, buy the cheapest bike that’ll get you to Santiago and donate it to the first person you see without a bike when you get there. The one which Mr Beef suggested above is listed at €240 (if it still exists, is in stock etc. etc.)
Brilliant idea.

Have you considered having your ankle/feet looked at by medical personnel? You might want to do that before investing in a bike to ride. Certainly riding downhill on a bike will alleviate the pounding we walkers experience on our legs, particularly descending the mountains. But, if you are having a problem with your ankle, I am wondering how it will react on those up hill sections coming after Leon?.

Last edited:
I bought an ST520 hybrid in Decathlon 18 months ago, put 5,000 km on it all over Spain and it's now waiting for me in a monastery outside Porto for more adventures. The best 265 euro I ever spent, rock solid on road and trail. The hills are tough alright but you can Jacotrans your gear and cycle up on the roads. Get one, your feet will love you for it ...not so much the old posterior though. Buen Camino 😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could download the free SayHi app and it will translate English into Spanish via your speaking into your phone. It will listen to the Spanish reply and translate that into English for you. I use it to cheat sometimes when doing Duolingo and have found it to be really good.

That might help you overcome language difficulties as you try to sort out your bike issues.

Get in touch with Acacio. https://www.facebook.com/acacio.dapaz he runs bikeline, bikelinecamino@gmail.com

1. Wait. THERE'S A DECATHLON IN BURGOS!!! Be still, my heart!!
2. Perhaps you should consider taking a day off. If your walk was excruciating, perhaps your body is trying to tell you that you have pushed a little bit too hard. Some R&R might do you more good than biking the rest of the way. If it was me, I would strongly consider resting until I felt walking was doable again. If it puts you a bit behind your schedule, THEN take a cab to wherever you think you should be and continue from there. Seriously, sounds like you need a rest, not a bike.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2. Perhaps you should consider taking a day off. If your walk was excruciating, perhaps your body is trying to tell you that you have pushed a little bit too hard. Some R&R might do you more good than biking the rest of the way. If it was me, I would strongly consider resting until I felt walking was doable again. If it puts you a bit behind your schedule, THEN take a cab to wherever you think you should be and continue from there. Seriously, sounds like you need a rest, not a bike.
And perhaps see doctor?

I got a Decathlon fix on Monday. We live in Oregon and drove to Santa Cruz (South of San Francisco) for a long weekend. I convinced my husband that I needed to take a detour on the way home and go to the Decathlon store in Emeryville (across the bay from SF)
Did I need anything? Not really.
Did I buy anything? Of course.
It was strange to see the price tags in $ instead of €.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.