• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In the shadow of pilgrims: VdlP – Graeme Bennett

gb

Time of past OR future Camino
05 Puy en Velay > Santiago; 12 Seville > Santiago
I’ve got my ducks all in a row and I am now organised for my next long walk which starts in Seville on 7 September and will end some 50 days later at about 25 October. It is both a fund raising exercise and another personal challenge. I am raising funds for BLESMA (see below) and have an initial target of £500 but, ideally, would like donations to total the distance walked (1000 km), that is £1000.

If there are any readers here who wish to donate I would be very grateful and the ultimate recipients even more so.

My aim is to complete the walk at one go, stopping for 2-3 nights in the more interesting towns, eg Salamanca.

As in 2005 when I walked from Le Puy en Velay in France to Santiago I shall make periodic postings here and on my blog http://www.gbwalk2.blog.com

I leave home on 4 September, arrive Seville on the 5th and have a day for acclimatisation and viewing of Seville on the 6th. The irony of travel is that I travel across France by car and plane in hours in order to walk a similar distance over a period of weeks!

gb

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have reached Zafra, 158km along the VdlP, in 7 days. Good walking, excellent weather, temps 20 - 35C.

For you who have walked and for you "caminoistos" in waiting imagine this scenario:

On Day 1, from Seville, I arrive at my first village, Guillena, to stay. Following a "recommendation" from Peregina 2000 (in this forum) to stay in the Hotel Frances, on arrival in the village I ask a woman in the street how to get there. She answers : "Don`t go there, go to the brand new albergue. It has air conditioning and is really good." Me, seeing banners all over the place, I ask her: "Is there a fiesta here now?" "Yes, for 3 days."

I, and 2 Hungarians, walk to the albergue. "Cerrado por 3 dias" reads the sign. "Go to the Hotel Frances."

Having eventually found it the hospitalera says we can have rooms but "we are closing for the fiesta. The bar and restaurant are closed." Nothing, but nothing, is open in the village - except a supermarket I discover later where I can buy a few victuals to eat in my room at night. (Hotels do not have kitchens for peregrinos.)

The next day (Sat) and the day following in the next 2 villages they are also having fiestas. Same arrangements! Cerrado!

It took 3 days to get a decent meal!! Since then feeding has improved.

I have met some really nice French, German, Belgian and Spanish people. Unfortunately, we will fall out of touch as I am spending 2 nights in Zafra and they will probably only be spending one. We may meet further up the Camino if they stay for more than one night, but my intention is to spend 2 nights in each town.

As a peregrino there is no doubt you are a slight object of curiosity. Local people are very helpful, either voluntarily or if asked, and other folk will approach you in a cafe / resto and ask if you are doing the Camino and want to know about it or tell you they have done it. All those peregrinos I have met to date, with one exception, have walked another camino.

(Also see my blog http://www.gbwalk2.blog.com)

Me and my shadow

Walking northwards he is beside me throughout the morning. We do not speak, each lost in his own thoughts. Early in the day he is long but shortens as the morning advances. He keeps perfectly in step with me. When I pause for a rest he usually disappears discretely, a tree being my haven of repose. Once walking again he re-appears. Oft times he is in the field beside me, but at other times he is on the track with me.

In the daytime his behaviour is impeccable. However, at night he acts up. He can be in front of me one moment and, as I walk, he rushes to get behind me, then he is in front again. Sometimes he multiplies and becomes two; 3 or 4 of him are not unknown all dancing around me as I move.

As I get further north I fear I will see him less and less often and may even lose him for days at a time – but at night he is always there, my ephemeral shadow.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From the cutting edge of the VdlP!

I am in Zamora. Walk going well!

For those interested in the stage leading to Galisteo and about which there has been a certain amount of correspondence here I can report I had no problems. At the 8th gate on the stage there are clear signs to turn left and go to Rio Lobos from which the yellow arrows guide you to Galisteo. This route adds some 4 km to the correct camino.

Others I have met did walk across the finca lands which are closed and they had no problems save to actually climb over one locked gate. This official route is not signed with yellow arrows. One group was even offered melon by an owner - and accepted!

I understand from the delightful hospitalera, Monica, at Oliva de Plasencia that the issue from the closed finca owners is money. They want some sort of payment from the local or other ayuntamiento for pilgrims to have access across their land even though this may be the VdlP. I dare say there are other isuues to make the matter more complicated.

It turns out this is a good time to walk (thus far at least). The first 2 weeks were hot (from 7 Sep) with temperatures in the afternoon up to 32 - 33C but then autumn came on 22 September and apart from 5 days cloud and a little rain, the weather has been magnificent with temperatures from 7 - 27C.

Salamanca is a wonderful place. Spent 3 nights there.. Recommended for a visit on foot or by car, plane.... whatever. Just go there! Every evening the whole population must parade through the Plaza Mayor just to see and be seen - and the floodlighting at night is just magic!

So far I have met 11 nationalities of people.....

More news at http://www.gbwalk2.blog.com and photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/inthelot

Hi, gb,

I'm enjoying your posts and your blog. And thanks for the update on the spat near Galisteo. Actually, I'm always surprised that there aren't more of these disputes over private property owners recognizing public rights of way over their property. I remember the first time I walked the Camino Frances, in 2000, at a spot between Larrasoana and Pamplona. The camino literally passed through the corral of a private farm,and we had to open gates at both ends of it. The route had been changed the next time I walked through, so I guess those owners weren't too happy with that arrangement either. I am frequently amazed at how often different caminos pass right through private property.

I agree with your comment on Salamanca, that Plaza Mayor is one of the most stunning anywhere. And Zamora's a pretty nice place, too. Hope the weather holds for you, the rest of this walk is really lovely. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie for your wishes.....

Am now in the Casa Anita in Santa Croya de Tera - and marching well! Getting mentally tuned up for the mountains and higher hills to come!

Have just updated the blog....

gb

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
830 km from Seville in the Sierra between A Gudiña and Laza (written several days ago).

For those of you have completed the VdlP this day's experience will recall memories. For those of you who may walk the VdlP in the future this day's experience may well be one you meet.

From the comfort of my bed, in the night, I have heard the shutters rattling in the wind and I have seen rain on the window. Yesterday's stage was curtailed at 14 km due to the poor weather and I know today's is long at 34 km with rain forecast all day.

I suspect the walk between A Gudiña and Laza is one of the most attractive on this Camino. I saw nothing! For 4 1/2 hours after breakfast I walked in cloud (visibility 100m), driving rain, strong wind. I think I was on a ridge in the morning with what looked like a steep drop on one side and nearly flat on the other. Of course I was on the windward side - and thus benefited from the full force of the wind - and there were no trees to offer protection. I was walking on a road along which no traffic had moved for an hour, no cattle on it, no sheep, no pigs, just the driving rain and wind and the cloud. I stop to pee, and lo!.....No! In the act and a car comes by!

The only bar, after 19 km in Campbecerros, was most welcome. My fingers were so cold (8C outside) I had to get the bar woman to undo the ties on my cape! She also produced cake for me to eat which I had not ordered.

A lull in the bad weather for a few minutes was followed by more rain, less wind but more cloud. Only the last 45 minutes of an 8 hour stroll allowed marvellous views during a very long descent from 1000m to to 450m. The hotel was not a success. Freezing cold! When I suggested heating I was told there was none! It's not cold enough! So the next morning a certain amount of the clothing went back on damp especially the boots which were completely sodden.

For new information I am now 2 days from Santiago. Glorious day today: such a contrast from what I experienced after A Gudiña!

The last walk

It is finished. I stepped into the Plaza de Obradoiro, Santiago de Compostela at 1355hrs, 25 October, 2012 having walked from Seville.

‘Neath the eastern, very pale blue sky with strips of clouds opposed by dark threatening clouds o’er in the west I set out this morning. No rain but plenty of sun and warm. Five days walking from Ourense, the last big town, and 2 of them have been in the rain. The rain itself is not a problem: it’s the clouds which come down and sit on the hills and obscure very fine views, and the wind, if any.

Anthony, my Australian companion of the last couple of weeks disappeared after I last saw him in Ourense. However, we met in a square this afternoon in Santiago, had a drink together and toasted each other and the Camino. He told me he is a teacher of Aborigines on an island off the North Western Territories of Australia. He is having a sabbatical year.

My wife has arrived to meet me so we'll have a couple of days in Santiago before moving on.

The last few days have been through some beautiful countryside – almost forests of chestnut trees, eucalyptus to name but 2 species of tree in this area. The glory that is Galicia is probably best seen in summer.

I guess a comparison with my previous walk from Le Puy en Velay to Santiago in 2005 is inevitable. While this walk has been worthwhile it has not been as good nor as interesting as the other. However, local people along the way have probably been more friendly and some of them notably so.

Whether you be walking the last 100 km or so with only a light bag and the rest of your effects being taken for you to the next hotel / albergue…..
whether you be walking 1000 km with all your kit and staying in hotels and / or albergues….
whether you be able only to walk for a week or 2 each year;
whether you be walking for religious reasons, escapism, seeing the Caminos as a challenge, or walking for pleasure…..
whether you be walking on your own, with wife / husband / companion or in a group…..
…. all are joined together, temporarily, into the confraternity of the Caminos, even of St James, the wearing of the Jacobean mantle and the wish to complete the journey into Santiago de Compostela.

Thus are we, now, walking in the shadow of pilgrims who have gone before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some afterwords

Having walked into Santiago, met my wife in the Plaza de Obradorio where all pilgrims meet and greet, taken a photograph or two, we slipped away into the local hostal which bills itself as the oldest hotel in the world, having been used by pilgrims from time immemorial. Its date of foundation was 1499 when it was used as a Royal Hospital for the many pilgrims arriving in Santiago. I was pleased to see other pilgrims booking in the day I arrived. We also went to Mass in the cathedral the day after my arrival, a Friday. The cathedral was packed: standing room only and there were a fair number of people standing. Not only were there pilgrims who had arrived on foot but there were quite a few who had come by coach in groups, notably from Italy.

On balance a good walk but not as good as good as the Camino from Le Puy en Velay and the Camino Francés. The spring is probably the best time for the Via de la Plata. Galicia, in fine weather and especially in summer, would be outstanding. The Spanish woman I met in Seville the day before I started and who asked what Camino I would do after Granja de Moreruela (where the routes split) said that the Via Sanabrés was the best was not wrong. She agreed I had chosen well.

The international cast I met when travelling has, of course, dismissed itself and is spread around the world again. The breadth of interest of the characters is wide; the cast itself from 12 nations (Australia, GB, Ireland, Hungary, France, Spain, South Africa, Canada, Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Czech Republic).

The Spanish people - not pilgrims - I encountered along the way were always helpful and, for the most part, friendly:

Cesar at Casa Cesar in a village between Ourense and Cea. Very welcoming fellow in his “bar” who encouraged you to go in and have a chat, coffee and biscuits, showed you his book of pilgrims who have gone before, only asked for a donation….
The man I met on the way to Tabara who quizzed me about my nationality, told me where to stay, what the weather would do, discussed his last visit to France….
Anna in Casa Anita, the albergue at Santa Croya de la Tera, who was a lovely hospitalera; very welcoming and helpful; who insisted on a photo taken of her pilgrims each day and which she posted on Facebook….
Those excellent people who re-directed me when I was on the wrong path and put me back onto the Camino….
At Oliva de Plasencia, the hospitalera Monica, who never stopped talking but interestingly especially about the problems caused by landowners over whose land the VdlP runs but who do not allow access, and who cooked a good supper for the 7 pilgrims present………
The bar woman at Campobecerros who welcomed me when wet and cold on the worst weather day of my walk (17 October)…..
The well meaning woman I met on my first day in Guillena who explained to me not to stay in a hotel there as there was a brand new albergue with air conditioning (it was closed due to the fiesta taking place but she did not know that), and her explanation all about the fiesta, the patron saint of the village…..
….and others.

My sources of information for this pilgrimage were:

A French guide I found written in 2008 and which was often out of date as the Camino seems to have changed and which I may update;

This Santiago forum <a class="postlink" href="http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/">http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/</a>

My own experience from 2005;

I discovered in my last week of walking a good site (Eroski Consumer) with a guide in Spanish and maps which I think would have been very useful had I known about it: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

I have posted a selection of photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/inthelot

Lodgings

Each person who walks decides where he wants to stay. I post here the list of places where I stayed, with prices, for any who may be interested. All prices are what I paid for a single individual for one night although, frequently, I was in a double room when in hostals / hotels. From the list you can see what my stages were, not always coinciding with what guide books / notes suggest. Comments are, of course, completely subjective. What I regard as “poor” may be graded “good” by another person. That said, I did find very helpful the comments made by one or two others on the Santiago forum and took them into account when deciding where to stay.

• Seville: Hotel Simon > E35 > Gd

Guillena: Hotel Francés > E23 > OK

Castilblanco de los Arroyos: Albergue > E5 > Poor

Almadén de la Plata: Casa Concha > E20 > Gd

El Real de la Jara: Alojamiento Molina > E10 > OK

Monasterio: Hostal El Pilar > E25 > Gd

Fuente de los Cantos: El Zaguan de la Plata > E15 > Excellent

Zafra : Hotel Las Palmares > E18 > OK

Villafranca de los Barros: Casa Perin > E18 > V gd

Torremejia: Albergue Rojo-Plata > E12 > OK

Mérida: Hotel Senero > E27 > OK

Aljucen: Albergue > E10 > OK

Alcuescar: Casa de la Misericordia (albergue) > Donativo > OK

Valdesalor: Casa Belen > E12 > Gd

Caceres: Hotel don Carlos > Expensive! > V gd

Embalse de Alcantara: Albergue de Garrovillas > E15 (incl b’fast) > V gd

Grimaldo: Albergue > Donativo > Grim

Galisteo: Hostal Los Emigrantes > E20 > Gd

Oliva de Plasencia: Albergue turistico > E15 (incl b’fast) > V gd

Aldeanueva del Camino: Hostal Montesol > E15 > Gd

Valverde de Valdelacasa: Albergue > E5 > Basic

San Pedro de Rosado: Hostal VII > E20 > V gd

Salamanca: Hostal Plaza Mayor > Expensive > V gd

Calzada de Valdurciel: Hostal El Pozo > E25 > Gd

Villanueva de Campean: Albergue > E6 > Basic

Zamora: Hostal El Sur > Expensive > V gd

Montamarta: Hostal “Comestibles Mares” > E25> V gd

Granja de Moreruela: Casa Tio Quico > E25 > V gd

Tabara: Hostal El Roble > E20 > Gd

Santa Croya de la Tera: Casa Anita (albergue) > E11 > V gd

Rionegro del Puente: Bar Palacio > E15 > OK

Palacios de Sanabria: Casa Teresa > E20 > OK

Requejo: Hotel Maite > E20 > Gd

Villavella: Casa O Cantairo > E15 > Basic

A Gudina: Hostal Madrilena > Expensive > V gd

Laza: Hotel A Nosa > E25 > Poor

Xunqueira de Ambia: Albergue > E5 > V gd

Ourense: Hotel Francisco II > Expensive > Excellent

Cotelas: Café el Refugio > E15 > OK

Donsion: Hostal Camino de Santiago > E20 > Gd

Bandeiro: Hotel Victorino > E25 > Gd

Ponte Ulla: Pension O Cruceiro > E20 > V gd

Santiago: Hostal > Expensive > Outstanding

Statistics

Statistics can be what you make of them but here are a few regarding my walk from Sevilla to Santiago and, as you will know, one has plenty of time to do the calculations:

Distance walked: 993 km
Days walking: 42
Days from Sevilla to Santiago: 49 (includes extra days days in cities)
Average distance / day: 23.64 km

Walking speed: 3.90 km in the hour (including stops while walking between each destination)
Temperature range: 4° to 35°C (while actually walking. It was hotter later in the afternoon after I had stopped)
Rain: it rained on 7 days, the first being on Day 19, 25 September, the last on Day 48, the penultimate day, 24 October

Hours walking: 254.43 (including stops while walking between each destination), or 6.05 hrs / day

Walking speed by week: there were 6 weeks walking and the speeds by week were: 3.87 km in the hour, 4.05, 3.80, 4.10, 3.93, 3.73
Hours walked by week: 39.76, 34.59, 51.51, 38.75, 46.07, 43.75
Walking speed by pace: 116 paces per minute
Hottest afternoon: 15 September near Villafranca de los Barros: 35°C
Coldest morning: 12 October at Santa Croya del Tera: 4°C

Earliest starting time: 0605hrs on 9 September (30 km to do)
Latest finishing time: 1710 hrs on 30 September (after 40 km); 10hrs 10’ walking

Weight of rucksack: 12 - 14 kg (including 2 - 3 litres water and food for the day's walk)
My weight loss: 4 kg from 74 kg
My age: I’m not disclosing everything!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Funds raised

The funds raised for my charities were £591for BLESMA and E195 for Médecins sans frontières.

gb

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back