A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

In two days I have to decide whether to continue on the Norte or go to the primitive all suggestions?

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Canuck Buzzy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPdP - Santiago Aug/Sept (2018)
Del Norte/Primitivo Aug/Sept (2019)
In two days I have to decide whether to continue on the Norte or go to the primitive any suggestions? I’m walking with my wife and we started in a Irun we are not certain whether we wish to go to Primitivo or continue on the Norte. Physically it’s not an issue which one we take. My question is about Albergues and other places to stay. It’s been difficult the last few weeks finding albergues etc. although things and he loosened up a bit. Any suggestions from anyone on thoughts about going to Primativo verse Norte or any suggestions for Albergues, pension etc. would be greatly appreciated. We try to keep cost to €40-€50 maximum for a couple. All suggestions appreciated.
Larry

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
In two days I have to decide whether to continue on the Norte or go to the primitive any suggestions? I’m walking with my wife and we started in a Irun we are not certain whether we wish to go to Primitivo or continue on the Norte. Physically it’s not an issue which one we take. My question is about Albergues and other places to stay. It’s been difficult the last few weeks finding albergues etc. although things and he loosened up a bit. Any suggestions from anyone on thoughts about going to Primativo verse Norte or any suggestions for Albergues, pension etc. would be greatly appreciated. We try to keep cost to €40-€50 maximum for a couple. All suggestions appreciated.
Larry
Last summer when I was on the Norte I decided to continue on the Norte, and found it much easier to get a bed after the split with the Primitivo.
I figured that the Primitivo might be more crowded because not only do lots if pilgrims on the Norte split off onto it, but many more start in Oviedo.

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés
What @trecile said 😃.

I stayed on the Norte, so that I could keep the Primitivo for a future camino, i.e. the Madrid / Salvador / Primitivo combo.

jprogers

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (half of) 2005
Camino Portuguese 2007
Camino Norte 2009
Camino Ingles 2011
Camino Vasco del Interior Tunnel route 2013
We stayed on the Norte and used alburges almost all the time on that section. But is was 10 years ago and there was good amount of accomodation. It has smaller towns.

Phil71

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2014,2016),Primitivo (2015), San Salvador (2017), Norte (2018), Ingles (2018)
I agree with everyone else. Stay on the Norte. Finish the one you've started and save the primitivo for another trip. There is as much accommodation on both routes but Norte will be quieter after the Oviedo junction.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I did both. Staying on the Norte has the advantage of more towns and alternative accommodations if albergues are full (spanish holidays are also over I think) The norte is more mountainous but you would not see the sea anymore. If you want to do a camino in the future I would stay on the Norte. The Primitivo is a very logical combination with the very beautifull Salvador. If you stay on the norte I would consider staying 2 nights in Ribadeo, take a train, bus or taxi to the Playa de Catedrales (at low tide) and walk back to Ribadeo ( without backpack) It is a very beautifull along the coast, many flowers not much asphalt. If you don't come back for another camino. I probably would opt for the Primitivo I like mountains, and less asphalt walking

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
What @trecile said 😃.

I stayed on the Norte, so that I could keep the Primitivo for a future camino, i.e. the Madrid / Salvador / Primitivo combo.
I turned onto the Primitivo to have more variety and a different experience. I hope to walk the Madrid / Salvador / and remainder of the Norte for a future Camino.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2010j, Primitivo (2013), Plata (2014 + 2015), Salvador (2016), Torres 2017), Portugues (2018
What @trecile said 😃.

Yes, continue on the Norte and do the Savador-Primitivo combination another time. Trecile mentions the Madrid as well, which I have not yet walked.

Buen camino whichever you chose!

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
I avoided Gijon by scooting down from Villaviciosa through the forest/high hills staying at a Carmelite convent, as everyone said it was an ugly walk. Not sure as I missed seeing the university. Then from Oveido back up to El Norte. I decided also to do El Salvador-Primitivo as one. Buen Camino whichever you choose.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
Larry
I agree with Trecele. Walked last year and I hit the split in mid October. Then almost everyone took the Primitivo. I barely saw anyone on the Camino or in Albergues until Sobrado dos Monxes. If you like peace and solitude you will enjoy the Norte. I am sure there will be more people now but maybe others who are there now would know alot better.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2010j, Primitivo (2013), Plata (2014 + 2015), Salvador (2016), Torres 2017), Portugues (2018
One explanation for more pilgrims chosing to continue from the Norte on to the Primitivo may be that at least one French guidebook does not include the two options, whereas the little yellow German Outdoors guide does, and so does the Spanish El Camino in tu Mochila (or something like that). Have forgotten the title of the French one - gave it away with the disappointment of being so limited in information. By the way I walked the Norte 9 years ago; so my thoughts on the subject are rather dated.

Canuck Buzzy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPdP - Santiago Aug/Sept (2018)
Del Norte/Primitivo Aug/Sept (2019)
Thank you to everyone who took the time to post information to me.We have decided to stay on the Norte.
Warmest regards to all,
Larry

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%