• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino In Villatuerta need advice

brambles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inca (2018)
Camino Frances (June/July 2019)
Camino Portugues (June/July 2020)
My daughter and I have walked from St Jean and we are now in Villatuerta. Today's heat and no shade was pretty brutal Tomorrow morning we will walk 4k or so to Estella and that is all because of the extreme temperatures
I think we will visit the market and churches in Estella. As much as I dont want to, it is not safe to walk the long sections after Estella without villages and/ or shade I think we should take a bus after Estella. So I have 2 questions: 1 any recommendations for a place to stay in Estella? And 2. Where should we take a bus to? I think I might want to avoid Logrono as it sounds like a busy town/city. What might be a nice place to go or plan to deal with this next few days of heat in this area? My only time constraint is to meet a friend in Belorado on July 1. Any and all ideas welcome.
P.s. I know walking up very early and walking is always an option but we tend to walk very slow and dont have unlimited time. Also as I e posted before, my husband and son will meet us in Ponferrada on 16 July so again, just looking for a temporary next few days plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't forget the wine fountain is at irache not far from Estella . Lo s arcos was cool and shady we had a good stay in pension los arcos I recommend it. You can easily catch a bus from los Arcos to logrono I enjoyed the tapas. You could easily stay there a few days. Viana looked nice but I only had a coffee there. The walk to los Arcos from Estella in the heat made me blistered and then I had to go by bus. The walk from los arc is to Lo grono was very gruelling especially the last bit. I think you are well advised to go on the bus in this heat

I've only stayed in the Municipal Albergue in Estella so I can't be of much help with that.

It sounds like you have a few days before you need to be in Belorado. I wouldn't necessarily skip Logroño but perhaps one day is sufficient to see the cathedral and walk the Calle Laurel during the evening for tapas.

Depending on what you might like to see and if you don't necessarily NEED to remain on the Camino until you meet up in Belorado I have a few recommendations.

Santo Domingo de la Calzada. There is a lot to do close to in or around here and it's only 23 km on foot to Belorado from here.
-San Millán de la Cogolla is about 20 minutes by taxi. Fantastic village and 2 significant monasteries; Suso and Yuso
-Haro, also a short ride by taxi from Santo Domingo. Historical significance for wine in the Rioja Alta. Some older wineries offer tours.
-Other villages that I have visited over the years that I enjoy that are all pretty close too: Casalarreina, Briones and perhaps Ezcaray.

Closer to Logroño but off the route.
-Laguardia, About 20 minutes from Logroño by car. Fantastic old city at the base of the Cantabric mountains.
-Elciego, beautiful little village about 30 minutes from Logroño. The 2nd oldest winery in Rioja is here, Marques de Riscal. If you like architecture, Frank Gehry made an interesting addition to the winery a number of years ago.
-San Vicente de la Sonsierra, about 40 minutes by car. Another fantastic older village with great views of the region.

If you have some other ideas on what you'd like to do or see I have others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Logrono is a great place! Too often overlooked by peregrinos, but very pilgrim friendly! Easily worth a rest & relax day! Imposing cathedral, historic churches, lovely parks, museums, great tapas and great cheap Rioja wine!

Accomodations: I can recommend La Numantina, and La Redondela (both in city center) and the Calfred II (near the bus station).

Bus schedule Estella to Logrono:

https://www.laestellesa.com/themed/laestellesa/files/uploads/22/35/55/(PAMPLONA-LOGRO_321O- JUNIO 2016 -FORMATO MAESTRO.pdf

Bus schedule Logrono to Belorado:

https://www.autobusesjimenez.com/wp.../10/Guia-Horarios-Burgos-Zaragoza17-10-17.pdf

Last edited:
Agora albergue in Estella is very nice, with pod style bunks with curtains.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I really enjoyed my stay at this albergue. The do have private rooms with ensuite bathroom, if so inclined .
Yes I can vouch for them as well - great bedrooms but eat somewhere else. we stayed in a room with 2 bunks, on a very hot day. In there was cool - outside hanging up washing was hot

Agora albergue in Estella is very nice, with pod style bunks with curtains.

I second this. Very friendly owner as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We ended up walking to and around estella, bought a lot of fruit (too many cherries in the market ;) then taking a bus to Los arcos and we are staying in albergue here. Thank you everyone for you replies. My new friends on the camino could not believe that I posted and received so many replies over night

Logrono is a great place! Too often overlooked by peregrinos, but very pilgrim friendly! Easily worth a rest & relax day! Imposing cathedral, historic churches, lovely parks, museums, great tapas and great cheap Rioja wine!

Accomodations: I can recommend La Numantina, and La Redondela (both in city center) and the Calfred II (near the bus station).

https://www.laestellesa.com/themed/laestellesa/files/uploads/22/35/55/(PAMPLONA-LOGRO_321O- JUNIO 2016 -FORMATO MAESTRO.pdf

https://www.autobusesjimenez.com/wp.../10/Guia-Horarios-Burgos-Zaragoza17-10-17.pdf

Sorry, I can't contribute to the actual question being asked here, but I agree that Logrono is fantastic! We took our first rest day there, as I felt like I was coming down with a cold and was feeling very tired and run down. It was amazing and there was some sort of wine competition going on the day we were there. We stayed at the Carlton for two nights and just enjoyed the luxury of a big bed, a bathtub, etc. We did venture out at night and had the BEST burgers at Burgerheim. Highly recommend Logrono! And just like that, I felt 100% by the time we left! :)

Buen Camino!

I also recommend Albergue Hermanos Capuchinos Rocamador in Estella. The beds are lovely and everything is spotless but as someone else mentioned, eat elsewhere. There is lots to see in Estella if you want to just stay out for a day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I totally agree about Logroño. Unless you want to completely avoid bigger cites than Logroño may be a great option. It has a all the amenities of a bigger city. Probably would be easy to find a place with an air conditioner right now. I took a rest day once and spent a few hours there on another Camino. It never feels intense or rushed. It is a lovely city with things to do. Or if you don't want to do much because of the heat you can hang out in the hotel with your face in front of the a/c. I am sure either way it could be a really good option as I am sure there are lots of people looking to escape this dangerous heat wave.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You may bus from Logrono to Sto. Domingo de la Calzada. I would not miss the lovely church in Torres del Rio, neither Sto. Domingo de la Calzada, though I might walk on to Granon the same day.

possible stages

If you start early, at 6 or 6.30 in the morning you should be able to walk 15-20 km before it becomes really hot. Heat increases from 11.00 o'clock anwards but still is tolerable until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, as it reaches it´s maximum level by 4 o'clock in the afternoon. I have just returned from the Via de la Plata (Seville to Zamora) and coped well with this strategy.

BC
Alexandra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I really enjoyed my stay at this albergue. The do have private rooms with ensuite bathroom, if so inclined .
I stayed there in the beginning of June and it is a great place but we had a private room and it was very hot because the windows couldn't be opened.
Also I would not skip Logrono, it has a lovely old town and many good places to stay.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back