• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Incident after Baamonde

peregrina2000

Staff member
This morning I left the Albergue around 7, about ten minutes after a single Spanish peregrina left. The camino goes along the national highway N-6 for about two km and then turns left into a wooded area where there is an old church. I was about 5 minutes before that turn-off when I saw the Spanish woman running towards me. She was crying hysterically. A masked man had pointed a gun at her and told her to get down on the ground. She offered him all her money but he repeated the threat. She took off her mochila and threw it on the ground and took off running. She runs marathons so she knew she could outrun him, and she thought to herself-- he's not going to shoot me in the back. Luckily she was right.

The Guardia Civil is involved and she will file a denuncia. She is certainly lucky.

I can't help but think what I would have done if I had left the Albergue a few minutes before her. I'm not sure I would have been so confident he wouldn't shoot. Where I come from, guns are real and people shoot with abandon.

I'm sure there will be lots of warnings given about women walking alone around here. I am walking with three others who stopped when we were talking to the Guardia Civil. Buen camino everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank goodness you are all OK! How fortunate you were not in harm's way, but also there to help.
And it's so good that this has been reported, and by a Spanish person who will be able to more easily follow up than we foreign peregrinas.
May all be well, and the guy with the gun be apprehended. And soon.
Please be safe out there, everyone!
Buen Camino, Laurie...I hope your day improves.

Oh my... how scary must that have been! Did he take her pack as well?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks @peregrina2000
I mostly feel safe in Spain / much safer than at home in Australia actually.
From time to time ., like this morning walking solo through a foresty section of the camino fisterra ., I did wonder about today's world and the possibility of someone choosing to do the old 'highway man' trick. I'd seen three peregrinos way ahead and felt safe but later when they had disappeared ; that thought did come back. I was holding my bastones and thinking of how I would wield them if it was ever required !! Lol.
Glad it didn't come to that for me and I definitely won't stop walking alone in Spain fir the moment. But must have been horrific fir the Spanish peregrina.
I hope she is okay now - But I'd say it will impact a lot
Annie

Now in A Roxica, though I had planned to go on to Sobrado. It would have been a very late arrival given this morning's events.

A little more detail -- once she had composed herself a bit more, we called 112. Then we flagged down the next car going by, and he took her into the Guardia Civil. As I was waiting for the 112 responders to come, a Spanish couple walked up and stayed with me. The Guardia Civil arrived and we told them the victim had been driven into the office. They told us to go on. When we got to the area where it happened, we saw her pack there untouched. So we decided to take it back to the highway and flag down a car, but the GC came back with the victim in the car.

I walked with these guys till Miraz, where they decided to stop. It was too early so I went on. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the stretch after Miraz, but there's a very lonely little part. I have to confess I was feeling a little nervous even though my brain knows I'm not going to run into this guy again. I really don't want to walk scared, but I guess this will dominate my thoughts while walking alone for the next few days, so maybe I'll just wait for my amiga who will be in Sobrado tomorrow and walk into Santiago with her. Even if it means no Muxia or Finisterre for me this year. Don't know what I'll do yet.

Thanks for the concern and support.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola peregrina 2.000.

What a terrible experience for the Spanish girl and yourself, I am Spanish my self and did my 3 camino on the 3 of june.
Hope the Guardia Civil are looking for the man,and the Spanish girl is ok after that.

Buen camino and it is a good idea to wait for your friend and walk together.

Saludos.

this seems to be getting more common...ok it wasnt a gun but a new zealand girl went into a Bar after 1 pm to get a cool stamp...anyways she noticed then she was been followed..a car pulled up ahead..a guy jumped out and started towards her with zip down..she panicked ..then regained some composure..took picture of car..and ran.to nearest village..she managed to speak some spanish..and the police were alerted ..they looked at her last stamp...went to the pub..and low and behold the guy was there..and was arrested...not sure the exact spot think it was after...Los Arcos..stay safe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh this is just horrible and downright scary. Now a gun, that is all together in another league than flashing , although I really do not want to minimalise flashing.
This really looks so premeditated : early morning, the spot...etc.

" Good " that you were around. Heh what a nasty business.

Take care out there in dem dare hills. We USANs know folks pointing guns shoot em. Thank goodness you were there for her.
Ultreya.

Stay safe Peregrina2000 and all the rest of the Peregrinos/Peregrinas. I did the Camino May-June 2016 with another friend, but decided to split b4 Saria, walked on my own the rest of the way, but made sure that there are walkers before and after me and still had my own personal space. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Even if it means no Muxia or Finisterre for me this year.
Fortunately Muxia and Finisterre aren't going to drop into the ocean anytime soon, Laurie!;)
May you be safe, and also at ease. Even though you weren't the one directly facing the guy with the gun, it was an almost - and anyway you were in the middle of it all. It's a lot to digest.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what has happened, and what is unfolding. And please know many of us are thinking of you tonight with heartfelt well-wishing, and gratitude that you're OK.
Abrazos and buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am so glad that you and the Spanish Pilgrim are okay Laurie.

Oh Laurie, what an awful experience. I really hope that this guy is caught soon. It's great that you're both ok, but that doesn't take away from the shocking nature of this incident.

We'll all be walking in spirit with you and your amiga as you make your way to Santiago in the coming days. Sending love and support to both of you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This must have been an absolutely horrible experience. I'm really pleased that you are both alright - as others have said, its good that the Spanish woman came across you and that between the two of you, you were able to take the actions necessary to get the appropriate response from authorities. I'm sure that the authorities take this sort of thing extremely seriously, given not only the nature of the crime, but the importance of the reputation of the camino for being a safe place for people to walk solo. With any luck the perpetrator will be well on the way to being apprehended.

Regardless of what people say about it in general, one of the benefits of the camino becoming busier, and of walking in summer, is that there are more pilgrims around and even if you are walking alone, you're hopefully never too far away from a caring and supportive person to help out in a time of need, or just provide a friendly smile and the knowledge that you aren't on your own, even if you arrived at the start of the walk by yourself.

Buen camino @peregrina2000 - may the end of this trying experience herald the beginning of a thoroughly rewarding (and safe) next phase of your camino.

Dear Laurie, I can only concur with all the posters. As you know, I was in those neck of the woods about a week ago and know the spot exactly. Luckily all of you are safe, albeit shaken up.
The Albergue Roxíca is lovely indeed. Your idea to walk to Sobrado and meet up with a friend is understandable. Finisterre or Muxía will be waiting for you and we might just get to meet up in Santiago.
Un abrazo amiga,
LT

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm so sorry that this has happened and so thankful you are able to support each other.

Shalom, safe travels, and Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shalom Laurie,
Even though you were not "held up" you experienced this situation secondarily through the Peregrina's experience. You may have some vicarious trauma reactions such as difficulty being alone, problems sleeping, nightmares, anxiety, flashbacks to seeing her terrified face, fear out of the blue, etc. The best thing to do is talk about it and get support! Listening to music meditation yoga if you experience negative symptoms helps! If you have negative thoughts try to turn them to positive so you don't get stuck! It sounds like you are doing the best you can. Be gentle with yourself! Buen Camino
Micah

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very sad to read this report.
Glad you and her are ok and especially not harmed.

Every year there seems, IMHO, to be an increase in such incidents on the Caminos.

This observation is based on my personal experiences talking with walkers and staff at places to stay. Also, reading on this forum and other forums.

Things such as robberies, assaults, etc were never heard of years ago.

Go read on this forum the woman who was assualted by the cyclist. For not being on the "correct side to the trail."

Couple these incidents with a increase of rude people now walking the Caminos it makes for a sad picture.

Thank God that there are still people walking who do care for others and are willing to help.

I walked from O Porto to Santiago this year. Saw lots of good but also saw a increase of rude behavior, litter being thrown down, .... shame.

It is on each of us to do our part. Do the right thing.

Robbery with a hand gun in Spain is not the norm. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Very sad to read this report.
Glad you and her are ok and especially not harmed.

Every year there seems, IMHO, to be an increase in such incidents on the Caminos.

This observation is based on my personal experiences talking with walkers and staff at places to stay. Also, reading on this forum and other forums.

Things such as robberies, assaults, etc were never heard of years ago.

Go read on this forum the woman who was assualted by the cyclist. For not being on the "correct side to the trail."

Couple these incidents with a increase of rude people now walking the Caminos it makes for a sad picture.

Thank God that there are still people walking who do care for others and are willing to help.

I walked from O Porto to Santiago this year. Saw lots of good but also saw a increase of rude behavior, litter being thrown down, .... shame.

It is on each of us to do our part. Do the right thing.

Robbery with a hand gun in Spain is not the norm. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Unfortunately, I can only agree with you about the increase.
BTW I'm not sure that this was a robbery with a hand gun. He did not take her money and he left the backpack. With a car and the road nearby, he might have taken her anywhere and it would have taken a while before she was reported missing. I hope the GC catch him soon!

Peregrina2000, I am glad to hear that you are well and that you were able to support the Spanish peregrina. Seeing you on that road must have meant so much to her.
Please stay safe and walk with friends.

Shalom Laurie,
Even though you were not "held up" you experienced this situation secondarily through the Peregrina's experience. You may have some vicarious trauma reactions such as difficulty being alone, problems sleeping, nightmares, anxiety, flashbacks to seeing her terrified face, fear out of the blue, etc. The best thing to do is talk about it and get support! Listening to music meditation yoga if you experience negative symptoms helps! If you have negative thoughts try to turn them to positive so you don't get stuck! It sounds like you are doing the best you can. Be gentle with yourself! Buen Camino
Micah
Hola Laurie, So glad that you and the other peregrina were not physically hurt, but have to echo what Micah has written so well here regarding secondary trauma. Pay attention to your thoughts and feelings now but don't let fear dictate what you do or where you go. Your intuition will not lead you astray! I have walked twice as a sola peregrina and honestly only had one moment of fear as I walked alone in the early morning darkness. As a result of that moment of discomfort, I don't walk without others around in the dark and if my intuition tells me to attach others as I walk, I do so. Wishing you much peace as you enjoy the remainder of your Way!
Ultreia!
elle

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie - I do not know this albergue. Can you provide a more specific location? Thanks
Oh and a special thanks for posting this information I am sure our female pilgrims will appreciate it. Cheers
Wow! Scary stuff ! I'm sure this will be beneficial to our male peregrinos as well...............

Wow.

I log in here after many days missing and this is the first thing I find. Peregrina, I'm so glad that you are okay. And I can't help but repeat that armed robberies with guns are definitely NOT the normal in Spain. We are sadly used to flashers, pickpockets and other types of minor crime, but this? I'm just shocked.

Anyway, let me just repeat my good wishes.

€149,-
Just walked a short 16 today with some pals from the albergue last night. We all decided to stay in The monastery albergue in Sobrado. Totally reformed since I was here last.

I am not feeling terrified or scared, just "sin ganas." I am frankly surprised at how much this has affected me. I don't think I will walk to Muxia but will walk into Santiago and then find something to do for a few days. Any great ideas for a short getaway? I am booked in San Martin pinario for the 4th and 5th and my flight is on the 6th. I have thought about changing my flight to go home a few days earlier but I think that would make me feel defeated.

... Any great ideas for a short getaway? I am booked in San Martin pinario for the 4th and 5th and my flight is on the 6th. I have thought about changing my flight to go home a few days earlier but I think that would make me feel defeated.

You can always stay at my place if you arrive "too early" (before your booking) in Santiago, or you simply could walk slooowly ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I always like and recommend La Coruña (but you may already be familiar with it). The paseo marítimo around the peninsula is gorgeous, or the beach at Santa Cristina (in Oleiros) is a nice place to just relax.

Sorry you're being left sin ganas. :( Hope that healing and recovery still come as you walk. Look forward to meeting you soon.
Hugs,
Faith

€83,-
I am frankly surprised at how much this has affected me.
Dear Laurie, please be tender with yourself. You've been traumatized almost to the same extent as the young lady. Your sense of safety has been violated. So "safe" and "okay" are entirely relative - and limited - terms. There's quite a lot that's not okay, and won't be okay for a while yet. Give yourself time, and lots of safety.
Hugs and concern, Kits

Dear Laurie, please be tender with yourself. You've been traumatized almost to the same extent as the young lady. Your sense of safety has been violated. So "safe" and "okay" are entirely relative - and limited - terms. There's quite a lot that's not okay, and won't be okay for a while yet. Give yourself time, and lots of safety.
Hugs and concern, Kits
I also agree with @Kitsambler Laurie., in that both yourself and the Spanish peregrina have been traumatised. Just because you are an experienced pilgrim doesn't mean you haven't been effected. You would be 'thinking ' all sorts of 'what ifs'. Most people in similar situations at home would get a bit of counselling.
I'm sorry it's taken the wind out of yours sails regarding plans for Muxia this trip.
I've noticed your reserved dates at San Martin pinario are exactly the same two days I'm booked there. I hope I get to meet you !

Annie
(Reservation under Elizabeth (ann) Derrick)
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walking camino is a chance to escape to a seemingly safe place, somewhere quieter than what we left, and when that is violated, it is hard. You are so strong and admirable. Give Santiago an extra hug.
Buen camino with whatever you decide.

Laurie--I wish I were walking with you right now. I am so furious reading about this horrific incident, and very glad that you were there for that woman, and...talk about "there but for the Grace of God went I".

I feel ill thinking about how badly this could have gone. If he didn't touch or take the pack, was he getting ready to do harm to her? If he was attempting to rob her, he had the mochila. So.

Just walked a short 16 today with some pals from the albergue last night. We all decided to stay in The monastery albergue in Sobrado. Totally reformed since I was here last.

I am not feeling terrified or scared, just "sin ganas." I am frankly surprised at how much this has affected me. I don't think I will walk to Muxia but will walk into Santiago and then find something to do for a few days. Any great ideas for a short getaway? I am booked in San Martin pinario for the 4th and 5th and my flight is on the 6th. I have thought about changing my flight to go home a few days earlier but I think that would make me feel defeated.
You may ave already been there but the hot springs in Ourense are very relaxing.

Now in A Roxica, though I had planned to go on to Sobrado. It would have been a very late arrival given this morning's events.

A little more detail -- once she had composed herself a bit more, we called 112. Then we flagged down the next car going by, and he took her into the Guardia Civil. As I was waiting for the 112 responders to come, a Spanish couple walked up and stayed with me. The Guardia Civil arrived and we told them the victim had been driven into the office. They told us to go on. When we got to the area where it happened, we saw her pack there untouched. So we decided to take it back to the highway and flag down a car, but the GC came back with the victim in the car.

I walked with these guys till Miraz, where they decided to stop. It was too early so I went on. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the stretch after Miraz, but there's a very lonely little part. I have to confess I was feeling a little nervous even though my brain knows I'm not going to run into this guy again. I really don't want to walk scared, but I guess this will dominate my thoughts while walking alone for the next few days, so maybe I'll just wait for my amiga who will be in Sobrado tomorrow and walk into Santiago with her. Even if it means no Muxia or Finisterre for me this year. Don't know what I'll do yet.

Thanks for the concern and support.
May dealing with those events lead to the strengthening of your commitment to the Camino and to your commitment to self. May you be granted the ability to stay in your moment.
Truly a horrible event but time may provide some positives.
Buen Camino and ultriea

€83,-
I "second" your thoughts Jacobus.
There is usually a yin to a yang and a positive to a negative. Move forward and be strong.......

Thanks for all the support, it has meant a lot. I am working my way out of the funk and enjoyed my short walk into Pedrouzo. Santiago tomorrow.

Just FYI- I am sharing a room at pension pedrouzo (30€ For a room with two beds with shared bathroom) and the owner told me that based on all the calls she has made today virtually all of the 2000 beds here are full. And she told me this before noon!!!

My plan is now to walk into Santiago tomorrow and then leave on Saturday to walk to Muxia. I had hoped to walk to both Finisterre and Muxia but now don't have enough days. I am feeling better and less deflated. I am looking forward to walking on the less crowded camino to Muxia to see how it feels. Thanks again everyone.

this morning I left the Albergue around 7, about ten minutes after a single Spanish peregrina left. The camino goes along the national highway N-6 for about two km and then turns left into a wooded area where there is an old church. I was about 5 minutes before that turn-off when I saw the Spanish woman running towards me. She was crying hysterically. A masked man had pointed a gun at her and told her to get down on the ground. She offered him all her money but he repeated the threat. She took off her mochila and threw it on the ground and took off running. She runs marathons so she knew she could outrun her and she thought to herself-- he's not going to shoot me in the back. Luckily she was right.

The Guardia Civil is involved and she will file a denuncia. She is certainly lucky.

I can't help but think what I would have done if I had left the Albergue a few minutes before her. I'm not sure I would have been so confident he wouldn't shoot. Where I come from, guns are real and people shoot with abandon.

I'm sure there will be lots of warnings given about women walking alone around here. I am walking with three others who stopped when we were talking to the Guardia Civil. Buen camino everyone.
Oh, I just read this now. I know the albergue and I can picture (I walked in 2011) more or less where the incident took place. First of all I am glad that you both are ok. It gets me angry to read about this... The eternal question is, is it getting more common or not...

Stupid man: other peregrinos will probably walk by and, at least, disturb the criminals in their intentions... What are they thinking...

/BP

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for all the support, it has meant a lot. I am working my way out of the funk and enjoyed my short walk into Pedrouzo. Santiago tomorrow.

Just FYI- I am sharing a room at pension pedrouzo (30€ For a room with two beds with shared bathroom) and the owner told me that based on all the calls she has made today virtually all of the 2000 beds here are full. And she told me this before noon!!!

My plan is now to walk into Santiago tomorrow and then leave on Saturday to walk to Muxia. I had hoped to walk to both Finisterre and Muxia but now don't have enough days. I am feeling better and less deflated. I am looking forward to walking on the less crowded camino to Muxia to see how it feels. Thanks again everyone.
Sending love and hugs, almost at a loss for words at what you have experienced. Hugs and may our community love surround you in your final days walks of this camino.
You are loved!
Neve

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
this morning I left the Albergue around 7, about ten minutes after a single Spanish peregrina left. The camino goes along the national highway N-6 for about two km and then turns left into a wooded area where there is an old church. I was about 5 minutes before that turn-off when I saw the Spanish woman running towards me. She was crying hysterically. A masked man had pointed a gun at her and told her to get down on the ground. She offered him all her money but he repeated the threat. She took off her mochila and threw it on the ground and took off running. She runs marathons so she knew she could outrun her and she thought to herself-- he's not going to shoot me in the back. Luckily she was right.

God, really sorry this happened to you, I hope you'll be ok, it would leave anyone very shaken.. I'm a therapist and what some have said about vicarious trauma is correct, so take care won't you.. Am starting from Porto to SDC myself Sep 1st and walking alone, I hadn't thought loads about my safety in that regard before but will be extra vigilant now I think.. Enjoy Santiago :) x

Jacky G - Welcome !!!!!
Fortunately these incidences are far and few between. Be safe !

No guns involved in my incidents. Just the usual creepy crap. But my word of advice is it does throw you and a lot harder than you might think. I thought I was well over them both until I was walking perfectly happily by myself along a very rutted dirt camino through wild woods with no habitation in sight. An old car driven by a young man went slowly past me on what was barely a road. He looked at me as he was driving past. I stopped and thought about going backwards because it was weird to see a car there and I knew the chance of another pilgrim being behind me was remote. Didn't want to give into a fear that could well be unfounded so I stayed where I was about 10 minutes to give him time to get well ahead. I got out my poles and I kept walking. Many minutes after that I came to within sight of a bridge and the car was parked there. Even creepier, the fellow was standing next to his car looking up the road to where I was coming from. When he saw me he headed off into the thick bush around the river. Probably stupid but I kept walking preparing to use my poles as a weapon. Didn't see hide nor hair of him again. I still don't know what it was all about but the point of this story is you might think you are over an incident but it takes very little to bring it all back. So be very kind to yourself and don't push too hard.

€83,-
Laurie, we hope you had a save arrival in Santiago, yesterday, and wish you a good walk to Finistere and Muxia. Love, Jan en Erna

Laurie, we hope you had a save arrival in Santiago, yesterday, and wish you a good walk to Finistere and Muxia. Love, Jan en Erna

Jan and Erna!!!!!!! (We met in 2002 when Jan offered me and my friend chocolate somewhere close to Le Puy, day 2 maybe!!!)

Wow, it's so good to hear from you.

I arrived fine in Santiago and have just finished walking to Vilaserio on my way to Muxia. I will PM you when my life gets calm and boring again. Hugs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Laurie, and a big thank you for posting this horrible incident. I have noted in my guide book as will be walking the route late September and October not that I would expect the same incident to be repeated. As I am very senior I do not know what I would do in such a situation, running would be out of the question. All my times in Spain I have felt safer than I do in Australia and I know this has already been said by another forum member. If someone pulled a gun on your here and you turned and ran it would be goodbye! Not ever have I walked alone, not because I didn't want to but my partner always wants to be with me on my pilgrimages. The reason I have noted it is I am aware of a very similar type incident on the VdLP a few year ago which was not reported, the victim did tell me about it so that I would be careful at that spot last year. Being alert to these incidences is important.
I am very grateful to know that both you and theSpanish lady are OK, hopefully, you are both putting this event behind you.
Take care and may God continue to be with you along your current journey.

this seems to be getting more common...ok it wasnt a gun but a new zealand girl went into a Bar after 1 pm to get a cool stamp...anyways she noticed then she was been followed..a car pulled up ahead..a guy jumped out and started towards her with zip down..she panicked ..then regained some composure..took picture of car..and ran.to nearest village..she managed to speak some spanish..and the police were alerted ..they looked at her last stamp...went to the pub..and low and behold the guy was there..and was arrested...not sure the exact spot think it was after...Los Arcos..stay safe
Is that you Jim? My husband and I Met you through out our CF in April? (Chuck and Judy) I know who you are talking about, because we met up with her a few days later. She continued on to Finesterra!

I appreciate all the messages and posts. After two days walking alone again, I am once again enjoying it. I am so glad I decided to continue on after Santiago. The first day out of Santiago I got a little skittish when a couple of times I saw a parked car in a lonely place but quickly saw that were both next to fields where work was being done. But I have done some serious thinking and am not about to change my habit of walking alone. I just can't imagine giving it up.

In the weeks I have been gone from my town, a visiting scholar was abducted and killed, right in a part of campus I frequent. I will be back there in a week and will continue to go through that part of town. My point is not to try to change the mind of any woman who now decides she doesn't want to walk alone, but just to say that it's a personal decision with a right answer that is different for all of us. Buen camino from the Zara albergue in Dumbria. I have very fond memories of this place.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-provides-do-you-have-one.37433/#post-361756

Last day of walking tomorrow!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow...don't log on for a bit and find this!! Very happy to see that you're find Laurie...as well as the poor Spanish peregrina. Especially glad to see you seem to have regained your mojo and are walking on to Muxia. Although...you may be on your way home now!! Buen Camino and prayers are with all involved! :)

€83,-
Glad that everyone is okay. Regrettably it sounds like incidents are increasing or are being reported more often. Disappointing, but predictable as numbers of Pilgrims increase. My advice, continue with your life and dreams and travels, but also be aware and watchful and listen to your gut. Buen Camino!

A very traumatic experience for everyone involved! So happy to hear that you have been able to keep moving and processing what occurred. An event like that does make you skitterish but you are right in pointing out that these sort of incidents can happen at home (and likely there is more risk). Thank you for sharing so that we don't become completely complacent, but also for keeping it all in perspective so that we don't become overly worried.

The fact that the backpack was left untouched is alarming as it means he wasn't in for just a robbery. It seems the Spanish peregrina has taken the correct decision by dropping it and running. I'm really sad this horrible incident had happened and wish you to recover and forget it soon. I'll keep my eye on the Spanish news and hope this man will be arrested promptly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Firstly, I'm happy and relieved that you are all ok.

I remember this stretch of road, it was not very nice but the albergue was pretty good and the 'restaurante galicia' was fantastic.

There is a much better route out of Baamonde apparently. If you take the left at the roundabout and go under the railway line and then cross the river a dirt path leads along the river to the church.

It is signposted with arrows and shells but almost all the pilgrims miss it and take the right at the roundabout and then are forced to walk past the ugly petrol station and along the highway for a few kms (where this incident happened).

Its no longer than the highway and is apparently much nicer (i took the highway but met a pilgrim who walked this path).

Also the river is a great place for a swim on a hot day; one of my favourite memories of the walk was jumping in that river with my friend and drinking beers on its banks.

Firstly, I'm happy and relieved that you are all ok.

I remember this stretch of road, it was not very nice but the albergue was pretty good and the 'restaurante galicia' was fantastic.

There is a much better route out of Baamonde apparently. If you take the left at the roundabout and go under the railway line and then cross the river a dirt path leads along the river to the church.

It is signposted with arrows and shells but almost all the pilgrims miss it and take the right at the roundabout and then are forced to walk past the ugly petrol station and along the highway for a few kms (where this incident happened).

Its no longer than the highway and is apparently much nicer (i took the highway but met a pilgrim who walked this path).

Also the river is a great place for a swim on a hot day; one of my favourite memories of the walk was jumping in that river with my friend and drinking beers on its banks.

Hi, Peregrino, and welcome to the forum,

This stage from Baamonde is currently in an arrow war between the Xunta and the people who have developed facilities along the route that goes through Miraz. You can see that at two spots. One is the spot you describe, it goes to the left right at that traffic circle that is about a block away from the albergue. I think, but am not sure, that the arrows to the left also take you through Miraz, but it would be good to get confirmation on that. (Can you clarify? You say you took the right turn at the roundabout, but then met friends at the river who had taken the left turn-- I am not good with directions, so this is a bit confusing for me. What river?)

The second spot where the arrow battle is evident is at a spot along the route that most pilgrims take. That is, if you go to the right at the roundabout, then left over the old bridge and right through the little green glen where the church is and where the incident took place, a few kms further on you will see another bifurcation. To the right, it goes directly to Sobrado dos Monxes, with a note that says it's 24 km from the spot of the bifurcation. That would make the Baamonde to Sobrado stage a total of 32 km, quite doable for many people. If you go that way, however, you will not pass through Miraz and the other places along that route, so there are many people with investments at stake here.

It was explained to me that all of this is happening because of the Norte's designation as a UNESCO heritage site. The Xunta is trying to recover the historical routes but is running into opposition because of the people who have had businesses up and running for years. There is another spot where there is a split, which bypasses Arzua, I believe, but people who took that route were very unhappy because it is all asphalt and has no services.

Hi, Peregrino, and welcome to the forum,

This stage from Baamonde is currently in an arrow war between the Xunta and the people who have developed facilities along the route that goes through Miraz. You can see that at two spots. One is the spot you describe, it goes to the left right at that traffic circle that is about a block away from the albergue. I think, but am not sure, that the arrows to the left also take you through Miraz, but it would be good to get confirmation on that. (Can you clarify? You say you took the right turn at the roundabout, but then met friends at the river who had taken the left turn-- I am not good with directions, so this is a bit confusing for me. What river?)

The second spot where the arrow battle is evident is at a spot along the route that most pilgrims take. That is, if you go to the right at the roundabout, then left over the old bridge and right through the little green glen where the church is and where the incident took place, a few kms further on you will see another bifurcation. To the right, it goes directly to Sobrado dos Monxes, with a note that says it's 24 km from the spot of the bifurcation. That would make the Baamonde to Sobrado stage a total of 32 km, quite doable for many people. If you go that way, however, you will not pass through Miraz and the other places along that route, so there are many people with investments at stake here.

It was explained to me that all of this is happening because of the Norte's designation as a UNESCO heritage site. The Xunta is trying to recover the historical routes but is running into opposition because of the people who have had businesses up and running for years. There is another spot where there is a split, which bypasses Arzua, I believe, but people who took that route were very unhappy because it is all asphalt and has no services.

Hi, yes the arrows point both ways in Baamonde at the roundabout. Left is a nice walk along the river and right is a long slog along the highway. They meet at the old bridge near the church (capilla de san alberto).

You're correct about the other split that day, i took the left through miraz and it was a really nice walk.

BTW I'm not sure that this was a robbery … he might have taken her anywhere …
Sorry to say that the intent was probably rape, as indicated by "get on the ground." Glad she was fast.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.