• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Incident between Santiago del Monte and El Castillo de San Martín

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranM

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino Francés (2014); El Camino del Norte (2017)
A woman was walking alone in this area a few days ago, when she was grabbed by a man who held her tightly while he attempted to satisfy himself sexually. She got away, ran and was not hurt physically. The police are aware of the incident. Women, particularly those walking alone, please beware. This occurred just after the peregrina turned into theIMG-20170824-WA0000.jpg dirt trail before walking down into El Castillo. Map of the location of the incident is attached.IMG-20170824-WA0001.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for reporting this, Fran, and welcome to the forum. Buen camino, Laurie

Our goal is to repeat this statement: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...women-on-the-camino-tips-from-the-mods.47474/ every time an incident is mentioned here on the forum.

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

Thank you for sharing. I hope the peregrina is doing okay. That would be an extremely confronting experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know I shouldn't, but really I do hate those creeps. I try to understand but I can't. I just wish to be somewhere around when that happen. He would become a Jusain Bolt in a second... Arghhhhhh

Last edited:
Thank you for making us all aware of this and telling us how to report it. Is pepper spray available in Paris or SJPDP? Does anyone know if pepper spray can go on plane in a check thru bag?
Let's be aware but not stopped by these intrusions.
Buen Camino
Beth

Thank you for making us all aware of this and telling us how to report it. Is pepper spray available in Paris or SJPDP? Does anyone know if pepper spray can go on plane in a check thru bag?
Let's be aware but not stopped by these intrusions.
Buen Camino
Beth

Pepper spray can backfire on you. If there is any breeze, then it could be you getting it in your face, hurting and disabling you. As well, you have to have it close enough to grab it, take off whever cover it has and spray it. You might not be able to do this.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you so much for this information. I have now downloaded the app. I will be starting my first Camino on Sept 3rd and after the first week will be walking alone
buien camino

Thank you for reporting this, Fran, and welcome to the forum. Buen camino, Laurie

Our goal is to repeat this statement: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...women-on-the-camino-tips-from-the-mods.47474/ every time an incident is mentioned here on the forum.

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.
Would this also work on am ipod to alert police

As has already been stated by PEI Heather , pepper spray can be blown back in your face , the much safer option is a C S gel spray , which does not blow about as much in the wind . These sprays are of course banned from plane baggage but used to be freely available in France but it was about 8 years ago when i bought some from a supermarket .
It is so sad that we even have to talk about these things , but, any spray ...small anti-perspirant ...small hair spray.....small sun tan spray , will work extremely well when sprayed into the eyes of any aggressive person or dog , and of course is transportable legally on a plane ( in the baggage ) and in you pocket once off the plane . I know it is a bit more weight in the pocket but a small price to pay for a bit of comfort should anything , human or dog , decide you are an easy target .
For anyone who does need the comfort of a purpose made spray, then Self defense marker /pepper sprays are available on amazon France .
See Here.....www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7/258-7074286-1746502?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pepper+spray&sprefix=pepper+%2Cap

I am with KinkyOne on this and have no sympathy with whatever happens to anyone committing these acts .

Regards.....John

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really don't want to carry pepper spray.
I'd rather whack the idiot upside the head with my poles!
And isn't there something with Spanish law that would also make the pepper spray user an assailant?

Perhaps those more familiar with Spanish law canchime in.

but, any spray ...small anti-perspirant ...small hair spray....small spray paint .....small sun tan spray , will work extremely well when sprayed into the eyes of any aggressive person or dog , and of course is transportable legally on a plane ( in the baggage ) and in you pocket once off the plane .

Aerosols are only allowed in checked luggage if they contain non-flammable gas. So do make sure you read the label and know what propellant is used.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And isn't there something with Spanish law that would also make the pepper spray user an assailant?
http://hitchwiki.org/en/Pepper_spray
I dont think that assailing an assailant with a spray would be seen any worse than using walking poles to beat him around the head a couple of times , especially as it would be in self defense .

Read here for some guidance as to the legality of pepper spray in certain countries .

http://mace-europe.com/eu-pepper-spray-laws/

Regards....John

Last edited:
Thanks for this warning and information. I will be starting my first camino in 10 days and may sometimes be walking alone. A question of two comes up. I tried to download the alertcops app but my cell phone could not find it although my laptop did. Any suggestions on how I can get that app on my cell phone. I have a Samsung J7 smartphone. Also, if am calling 112 from an American phone in Spain, do I need to dial a country code first or is the 112 enough? Would like to be prepared and not have to wonder about this if and when an emergency happens.

Thanks for this warning and information. I will be starting my first camino in 10 days and may sometimes be walking alone. A question of two comes up. I tried to download the alertcops app but my cell phone could not find it although my laptop did. Any suggestions on how I can get that app on my cell phone. I have a Samsung J7 smartphone. Also, if am calling 112 from an American phone in Spain, do I need to dial a country code first or is the 112 enough? Would like to be prepared and not have to wonder about this if and when an emergency happens.

These are great questions, deebubbster, but I am afraid I don't know the answer. I have never used the app, and I carry a phone with a Spanish sim card. I am going to try to find out and report back, or maybe there will be some savvy forum members who can help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... Also, if am calling 112 from an American phone in Spain, do I need to dial a country code first or is the 112 enough? Would like to be prepared and not have to wonder about this if and when an emergency happens.

The 112 number is recognized as emergency number (it is part of the mobile telephony standart). You can dial it even without a SIM card or connected to a provider different of the one who has sold the card.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

My phone even shows me notice that I can only call 112 when out of reach of the signal.

I agree with Annie, 100%....!
Self defence is self defence, whatever the country, imho.
Any low life that does that to a woman won't go crying to the police if they got poked in the eye with a walking pole....!
I'm not suggesting anyone does that of course....!
Military close quarter combat - any assault on the eyes and they'll back off whatever their size. At least giving the person time to run......!
Remember this is self defence....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Norte there are too many places where lone girls can be ambushed. So girls, the best precaution is not to walk alone.

There are many women in this forum who walk alone. If I did not 'walk alone' my life would be full of fear - and empty of caminos.
Totally agree, triple quadruple like like like like!!!

No place on the planet is crime-free, but the Camino is exponentially safer than my own little midwestern town of 100,000. I once saw crime statistics considering all of the major caminos in Spain. I think that over several decades, there have been fewer than 15 violent crimes. All pilgrims, but especially women, should just use common sense and be alert. But walking in fear is the very best way to ruin a camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Indeed, I did exagarate and women do and should walk alone. Nevertheless, camino is growing in numbers what will definitely attract the predators. So, take necessary precautions bcs there is first time for everything.

Thanks all for the thoughtful conversation on this topic. We are home safely from Santiago after our Camino del Norte, leaving with the beautiful representations of Peace in the main square, and with mostly good stories to tell. My advice is for all pilgrims: stay alert, use your head if presented with a similar incident and do what you can to get away. Buon Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back