• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Incident in Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Truck/van into crowd near plaza Catalunia. At least 13 killed according to Reuters. Many wounded. One terrorist has fled into a restaurant. Possibly hostages inside. Still much uncertainty.

Last edited:
Spanish TV says 2 killed but many injured. The whole of the Ramblas area is sealed off and the trains and undergound are stopped.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
rtve.es are now also saying 13 dead and 32 injured. The van drove into Las Ramblas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please keep this sad news to the facts as they come in for information purposes for any pilgrims who might be in the area and do not enter into speculation or politics.
Then you need to close this tread.

Then you need to close this tread.

Hi, James, Welcome to the forum. You may be right about this thread, but I'm betting not. We have dealt with this kind of thing before, and forum members are usually good at "sticking to the facts." For many, it's a real service to get factual updates even though it's such a horrible occurrence. Not that pilgrims are any more deserving of mercy than others, but many of us are praying that they have escaped this nightmare unscathed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please keep this sad news to the facts as they come in for information purposes for any pilgrims who might be in the area and do not enter into speculation or politics.
Yes, what people on the ground need to know right now are not the latest breaking news but the official instructions they are asked to follow. This is easier said than done in a foreign country. I understand from a TV interview with an official (Catalonia foreign minister? not sure I got this right) is that they provide this information through various communication channels and also in foreign languages.

I had a quick check and this is for example on Twitter through messages from @mossos (Catalonia police?) and Guardia Urbana BCN (Barcelona local police). I see messages in Spanish, English and French. Main advice: Avoid travelling into the center of town (i.e. keep out of the way of police and rescue services).

I also happened to read that Easyjet said that flights continue but they advise passengers to check with the airline, probably the same applies for other airlines.

PS: May I suggest that readers simply do not engage in general comments (don't post AND don't reply).

Last edited:
For pilgrims in Barcelona: Police now say that there is no hostage situation. Centre of Barcelona is closed area. Pilgrims/all others stay away from the city centre, preferably stay inside until situation is clear. Some Norw. citizens were within 10-20 metres from the van, and are now in hotel.

Yes, @Katharina, Mossos d'Esquadra is the catalonian police.

Just for the record, there are several police forces in Spain: Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional (national forces) and Mossos d'Esquadra (Catalonia), Policía Foral/Foruzaingoa (Navarre), Ertzaintza (Basque Country) and Policía Canaria (Canary Islands).

All of them are coordinated through the #112 emergency number.

Back in the topic, there's a number for relatives of people who could be affected: +34 900400012.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope the mods don't close this thread since it just pretends to be a source of information.

Not everybody likes everything, not everybody has to like everything, but we all should be able to respect others.

Before I left home I registered my travel plans with the US State Department. Less than an hour after the attack I received an email alert.
My thoughts are with the beautiful city of Barcelona and its people, and those who are visiting there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.