• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Increase in awareness before Camino?

Mooncat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Fall 2015)
Something I have noticed during my preparations for my Camino and would like to hear other trekker's thoughts on this. As my start date approaches, I seem to have become more aware of the limiting health issues of many people around me, friends, coworkers, acquaintances. I am talking about issues that go beyond the minor and superficial. For example, last year I recall one friend having knee surgery, otherwise everyone in my circle of awareness seemed stable. This year, I know of two people who are dealing with brain aneurisms, one heart attack, a stroke, degenerative disc disorder, chemotherapy, high blood pressure complications, and a knee replacement. It almost seems like there is a negative health wave happening this year and it has increased my desire to get started on my journey while I still can. Or, was I just that clueless and callous with regard to what everyone deals with? Is this something other preparing Pilgrims have experienced? Thank you. Mooncat

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mooncat! I understand your feelings...lately the same issues came up here in my life. Some minor physical issues for me ( nothing major but still had to postpone my April Camino till August ) , three years ago my dad died , still young being 66 .Also some coworkers, friends, neighbours got ill. Then again, at 46 , I have come to an age that these things can happen. And sure really bad stuff seems to happen to really good people!!!
For me it also came to a point that I was debating wether or not to go on another Camino ( fear of getting ill on the road, seeing a doc etc...) . I decided to go on with it anyway...By nature I'm someone who is scared rather easily and " glass is half empty rather than half full ".
In the end : we should be joyful and thankful that we still can walk! Unlike my fellow ex schoolmate who is now suffering from breastcancer.

Enjoy Mooncat!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sabine, thank you for your heartfelt reply. And, sorry about your dad. 66 is very young. And, also sorry for your friends who are now wrestling with health issues. Yes, I am very thankful to have overcome some difficulties and to be in good enough condition to plan for this upcoming trip. It is difficult for me to even talk about doing the Camino in the presence of someone who has been dealt a cruel blow by age or disease, because such things are no longer viable options for them. I wish......well, perhaps I will just say, yes, I am thankful for what I have. Mooncat

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With gentle and utmost humility
I propose..
Here is Your sign....
Go forth and do what the calling in your heart is dictating your mind to do..aided no doubt by a willing spirit
Go forth out your door,unto the path of stars with all the blessings a man can carry.
Go forth unto the calling path,answer,turn your feet toward the road and take the wind in your pocket,the sunshine for a companiero and the,smiling flowers,for company

Answer the question in your breast gentle Pelegrino

Speak with the spirit that drives you

Let there be a joyous reunion between yourselves

Grasp..oh fellow traveler,the stars unto expanding breast,reach those you can...kiss the rain..and the sun will kiss browning cheek in return
Let the wind
Take your hand and lead you on
Join those who also grasp the tide and run with joy to Santiago

Be ever so Blessed Pilgrim

Mooncat! I understand your feelings...lately the same issues came up here in my life. Some minor physical issues for me ( nothing major but still had to postpone my April Camino till August ) , three years ago my dad died , still young being 66 .Also some coworkers, friends, neighbours got ill. Then again, at 46 , I have come to an age that these things can happen. And sure really bad stuff seems to happen to really good people!!!
For me it also came to a point that I was debating wether or not to go on another Camino ( fear of getting ill on the road, seeing a doc etc...) . I decided to go on with it anyway...By nature I'm someone who is scared rather easily and " glass is half empty rather than half full ".
In the end : we should be joyful and thankful that we still can walk! Unlike my fellow ex schoolmate who is now suffering from breastcancer.

Enjoy Mooncat!
For me, the glass is usually half full for just a minute, and then someone fills it up! I think your final comment is perfect: be joyful and thankful now!

While I've been to two funerals in as many weeks, I have 5 nieces and nephews with recent new babies. so, life goes on and grows and gets better. I'm just retired, but it's more of retired TO things rather than FROM anything. The freedom to do things you've always wanted to do. Things like ... a CAMINO. Yaaayyy.
There will always be sickness: my wife & I have had three surgeries between us in two years. So, as the children say:
'Ready or not, here I come!' Praise the Lord.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yep, same effect here. I started noticing friends that wish me luck and then I realize that they have some impediment that would stop them (or at least make it very difficult) to walk the Camino. You start to ask yourself whether you're just lucky or is there something waiting around the bend. Probably just human nature and our evolution that had a predator behind every rock.

As we get older we begin to wear out. But believe me I think that a person will rust out quicker than they wear out. Every day that I wake up and get up is a good day and it is the only day I have to live today.
Think of five things that you have to be thankful for and thank God before you even put a foot out from under the duvet.!

I have found in the past that when I embark on something 'Good', very often things happen to (try and) prevent me from doing that thing. The Camino can be such a 'good' thing for many people. Therefore things happen to prevent us from going on Camino.
My 'solution' is to pray that I will be protected from harm and the way will be opened for me. God is good, but I think He likes us to ask! :).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something I have noticed during my preparations for my Camino and would like to hear other trekker's thoughts on this. As my start date approaches, I seem to have become more aware of the limiting health issues of many people around me, friends, coworkers, acquaintances. I am talking about issues that go beyond the minor and superficial. For example, last year I recall one friend having knee surgery, otherwise everyone in my circle of awareness seemed stable. This year, I know of two people who are dealing with brain aneurisms, one heart attack, a stroke, degenerative disc disorder, chemotherapy, high blood pressure complications, and a knee replacement. It almost seems like there is a negative health wave happening this year and it has increased my desire to get started on my journey while I still can. Or, was I just that clueless and callous with regard to what everyone deals with? Is this something other preparing Pilgrims have experienced? Thank you. Mooncat
I am heading out in September on my first Camino. I have decided to put this 65 year old body to the test because I don't feel 65! Much to my surprise, most of my college friends have told me that they could never do this.
Also, much to my surprise, I started to doubt myself.

So, I am moving forward with this challenge in gratitude for my ability to walk. Keeping the power of positive thinking!

Buen Camino

Nonnie, yes, self-doubt. It seems to go hand in hand with self-awareness. And, maybe that is much of what we are noticing in our journeys towards starting The Camino. I definitely have become much more aware of my strengths and areas I need to work on. And, also my limitations and limitations that others display. I am liking it. So, do we get to bring up conversations like this with perfect strangers on The Camino since many of us will have had similar preparatory experiences? Or, will we be labeled as nut cases if we venture beyond the esoteric in our conversations with fellow pilgrims? We shall see, shall we not? Mooncat

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back