• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Increase pack weight or distance?

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
As I am training for CF, slowly, I'm wondering if I should increase my walking distance or add weight to my pack keeping the same distance. Currently my walks are 3 miles (4.8 k) with total weight of 10lbs (4.5 kilos). My walks are every other day. Should I walk two or more days in a row with the lighter weight first? The goal is 15 miles with 15 lbs. (25k /2.27 kilos).

Thank you all in advance for your kind help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I trained to walk the Camino I just concentrated on walking, and only trained with my pack a few days. I walked 5 to 10 miles every day. One week I walked ten miles every day to make sure that my feet could handle that distance daily. I walked between 10 and 15 miles a few times with my pack.
This worked fine for me. I had absolutely no problem carrying my pack on the Camino. I averaged 15 miles a day, so I had a few 20 mile days in there. I had no issues with my feet, other than one small blister on my toe.

When I trained to walk the Camino I just concentrated on walking, and only trained with my pack a few days. I walked 5 to 10 miles every day. One week I walked ten miles every day to make sure that my feet could handle that distance daily. I walked between 10 and 15 miles a few times with my pack.
This worked fine for me. I had absolutely no problem carrying my pack on the Camino. I averaged 15 miles a day, so I had a few 20 mile days in there. I had no issues with my feet, other than one small blister on my toe.
Thank you. Training with the pack is important as I have compressed disks in my back, so must build up the weight as well.
Walking every day, one with and one without the pack sounds like a good way to train for the every day (day after day) walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jo

You will probably get a lot of responses to your question, firstly I think you might have to 2.27 Kilos wrong in the brackets, not a problem we all know what you mean.
Myself I trained without the back pack initially and graduated up to 15 miles, once I was comfortable with this distance which was up and down hills, I started wearing the backpack, like you I started off with about half of my final weight and gradually moved up the weight.
Now this worked for me, it might not work for you, everyone is different. I guess there's no right or wrong way of training, the important thing is that you do some training, because in the first few days of the CF you'll find you'll benefit.

Hope this helps.

My wife and I walked the CF in Sep/Oct in 2015. We were both 57 at the time. We started training about 5 weeks before. That consisted of 10 km walks (takes about 2 hours) 4-5 times per week with just a day pack. It wasn't until the last 2 weeks that we carried our Camino packs stuffed with towels and water bottles to approximate the weight we would later carry. We each incurred 1 blister during training but none on the Camino. Neither of us was particularly aggressive in our packing; My loaded pack weighed 12 kg (26 lbs) and my wife 10 kg (22 lbs). Those numbers included water and trail snacks. I weigh 100 kg (220 lbs), my wife was certainly less.

Maybe we were lucky...I'll never know. But that worked for us.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I am training for CF, slowly, I'm wondering if I should increase my walking distance or add weight to my pack keeping the same distance. Currently my walks are 3 miles (4.8 k) with total weight of 10lbs (4.5 kilos). My walks are every other day. Should I walk two or more days in a row with the lighter weight first? The goal is 15 miles with 15 lbs. (25k /2.27 kilos).

Thank you all in advance for your kind help.
There are as many opinions as forum members, but:
1. I'd work up to the distance first, then start adding weight very gradually. this is because doing both at once, or intermixing, might confuse you when you have a bad day what the problem was. Also, you already have known back issues. So first build the stamina for the distance, being sure shoes are right, clothes are right, etc. towards the end walk with your empty pack.
2. while you are working on building distance, do core exercises--this will help protect your back once you start adding a pack and then weight. once you can do core exercises without problem, add additional back exercises--after discussing with your doctor. If you have serious back problems, consider supervised training with a physical therapist.
3. once you have good core stability, and can easily manage the distance without weight, gradually add weight. discuss with your doctor how much weight you can carry for how many days without aggravating your back problems. consider using a pack transport service if necessary. the goal is to reach SdC, not return early for back surgery.
just one opinion...
buen camino

1. I'd work up to the distance first, then start adding weight very gradually. this is because doing both at once, or intermixing, might confuse you when you have a bad day what the problem was. Also, you already have known back issues. So first build the stamina for the distance, being sure shoes are right, clothes are right, etc. towards the end walk with your empty pack.
2. while you are working on building distance, do core exercises--this will help protect your back once you start adding a pack and then weight. once you can do core exercises without problem, add additional back exercises--after discussing with your doctor. If you have serious back problems, consider supervised training with a physical therapist.
3. once you have good core stability, and can easily manage the distance without weight, gradually add weight. discuss with your doctor how much weight you can carry for how many days without aggravating your back problems. consider using a pack transport service if necessary. the goal is to reach SdC, not return early for back surgery.
just one opinion...
buen camino
Thanks so much. A very reasonable training schedule.

I have talked to my Dr. and been to phy therapy. I am also on medication that causes my pinched nerves to NOT send pain signals to my brain. The medication has changed my life. The Dr. said "Walk to the coffee shop." "Go on your Comino." I am taking a low dose of the medication and it can be increased with no issues. It is not narcotic or habit forming, although the pain relief is a habit I want to keep.

My shoes and clothes are right. All set there.

After the wonderful advise I have received and considering I am currently able to carry some weight: I will walk one day with the pack at current weight and one day without any weight. (if I need to skip a day, I will). Only after I can walk 10 miles, up and down hills with weight once a week and 10 miles with no weight a couple of days in a row - will I add weight.

Thanks all for the advise to go slow and steady. Rest as needed. Don't hurt myself. :) Hugs.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife and I walked the CF in Sep/Oct in 2015. We were both 57 at the time. We started training about 5 weeks before. That consisted of 10 km walks (takes about 2 hours) 4-5 times per week with just a day pack. It wasn't until the last 2 weeks that we carried our Camino packs stuffed with towels and water bottles to approximate the weight we would later carry. We each incurred 1 blister during training but none on the Camino. Neither of us was particularly aggressive in our packing; My loaded pack weighed 12 kg (26 lbs) and my wife 10 kg (22 lbs). Those numbers included water and trail snacks. I weigh 100 kg (220 lbs), my wife was certainly less.

Maybe we were lucky...I'll never know. But that worked for us.
Hi, you mentioned pack weight including: water and trail snacks. Pack weight shouldn't count "expendables". Drink water (I prefer vino) eat snacks.
Arn

Also, consider getting really aggressive with reducing the weight of your pack by a couple of pounds.
that generally occurs at Orisson or Roncesvalles:)
in general, the lighter the better, especially if someone already had back problems. But it also depends on the size of the person, their training/fitness, and how well the pack was chosen and how well the weight was put in the pack. Even someone with health problems can carry more than the 'magic' 10% if it is in the right pack and distributed correctly. Of course, less will always feel lighter.

The 15 lbs is with water and snacks. It weights 11 lbs with just the pack and stuff. I have switched out several items for lighter weight ones. Cut the zipper out and narrowed my sleeping fleece bag liner, not taking a bag but a silk liner. I'll cut more if possible. Did add a bit more for the foot / medical needs. The pack fits well and feels good.

Other than a bad back, I am in great shape. Being 5 ft tall and 108 lbs limits me in some ways. My legs are great, just need to beef up my back, shoulder and stomach muscles.

I will get there. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are numerous ways to train for walking the Camino, and methods vary from person to person, obviously due to existing fitness level, age, weight, prior injuries, physical limitations, bad feet, bad knees, etc.
However you train, just don't over train and incur an injury. Know your limitations before walking the Camino and whilst on it.

I have watched a few videos on how to pack a pack. However they all include a tent, stove etc. So a few pointers would be helpful. I add a bit of weight at a time and am not sure I am loading it in the right way.
I found that keeping the weight as close as possible to my back helped me to carry my pack comfortably. I made sure to tighten down the compression straps as much as possible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have watched a few videos on how to pack a pack. However they all include a tent, stove etc. So a few pointers would be helpful. I add a bit of weight at a time and am not sure I am loading it in the right way.
I like the diagram in this article...would like it more if it had a shot from the back also
http://www.wildbackpacker.com/backpacking-gear/backpacks/how-to-pack-a-backpack/

your goal is to get the heaviest stuff along your spine especially near the shoulder blades, with lighter stuff beneath and around it. then cinch down the straps. you want the heavy stuff where your hips will take the load, and it won't be tugging you backwards or sliding around twist you as your walk trying to keep it stable. i think of it like my heavy stuff is in a tight section along and right up against my spine, lighter packed under and around, and cinch, cinch, cinch. you want the heavy stuff to be like it is part of your spine, not some huge troll hanging onto your back. as you work with your pack this will probably be more obvious when something is in the wrong place...backpacking stores would also probably be willing to give you some hands-on advice if you bring your pack and stuff there.
I saw many under tightened packs, with weird centers of gravity...I repacked four packs for people in puente de reina.

edit: also, even the page I linked talks about stoves, etc. so ignore item specific advice, the important thing is weight. so in my case pants/shirts/socks were my lightest items, electronics and spare shoes my heaviest, bag was medium, as was vest...I don't think you need to weigh stuff to the ounce, just get the heavy stuff against your back and use the compression straps to really tighten things down once packed.

Last edited:
The only heavy item I ever really carried in my Camino packs were my toiletry kit with soap, etc in it, and even then it wasn't much heavier than everything else. All the clothes and the rain jacket, bag liner (have never carried a sleeping bag on the CF, but had I it would have occupied the bottom of the pack), etc weighed about the same. I would just pack it evenly distributed and cinch the bag up tight. No real science to it. I kinda stood by the philosophy that if you are carrying so much stuff on the Camino that you have to have a plan on loading it in your pack, then you are probably carrying too much. After contributing my share to donativo tables in albergues, I finally heeded my own advice.

There should be no heavy items, so weight-related guidance doesn't really apply for the Camino! Sure, the sleeping bag is the heaviest items, but it really doesn't matter - it is the density that would count. Everything is about the same, except toiletries, and it doesn't make sense to distribute them throughout the pack! :pEvery person has a different way of organizing things, based on how we like to pack/unpack/use the contents.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your training regime needs to address three components: (1) stamina/cardio endurance; (2) conditioning the feet and legs for hours-on-end, days-on-end pounding, and (3) core/back strength/stabilization. The training techniques differ for each of these components.

The best way to improve stamina/cardio endurance is through High-intensity interval training (HIIT): push hard, ease up, repeat. Hilly hikes, bleacher sets, or gym machines are examples. For conditioning the legs and feet for pounding, there is no substitute for walking. You're doing two-hour walks now; once a week do a six-hour walk with pack. Core/back strength/stabilization can be improved with a series of exercises that work the abdominals, obliques, and lower back muscles. Your local PT or a personal trainer can advise on a specific routine that meets your needs.

Assuming your back injury is up to the challenge (that's a big "if", I know), your pack weight for training should exceed your pack weight for the actual Camino by several pounds. By the way, its for exactly such situations as your that the luggage transport services are so helpful - don't be afraid to take advantage of them if you need.

For my Camino training I walked and biked as much as possible ie 7 km to work, and on weekends I would walk at least one long walk over 15 km. Avoid using cars as much as possible. I found it takes at least 15 km to stress the body and really test your gear. If you can get two long walks in on the weekend back to back, even better. I didn't train with a full pack at all although my work backpack does get pretty heavy and probably about the same weight. But I do recommend doing other exercises as well eg body weight, strength type, balance and mobility exercises. It's not just the walking. It's the tripping over your own feet (I'm good at this!), slipping, jumping from rock to rock that you have to be able to cope with as well. Doing something that works all the small muscles that you don't normally use is really good for protecting your joints.
I am a convert to Aarnpacks. I have to laugh when I go down to Melbourne where the stockist is as the owner knows my street well as I have 2 Aarns and my neighbour has at least SIX. And a mutual friend of ours who did his back in has been able to return to bushwalking using Aarns but not with other packs. The weight is distributed around your body and it feels a lot lighter than it actually is. You also have free shoulder movement as the weight is truly on your hips. It's a very clever design.

Now I have a plan.
Step 1: walk one day with current weight, walk one day with no pack, the same distance. Take a rest day as needed.
Step 2: increase the distance with no weight in between days of wearing the pack at the shorter distance.
Step 3: increase the weight at the new increased distance.
Each step will take at least 1 month. If I increase either part and don't feel ok - go back a step.

Repeat until full weight at the longest distance of about 10 miles. Do that a few days in a row. And of course rest as needed. Don't push the miles or weight until I feel really comfortable with what I am doing for at least a couple of weeks. Add hills, we live where it is very flat.

I weighed everything again. The pack and all my stuff weight 10 lbs. Water is at 4 lbs. When there is water available in short distances I will only fill one bottle. :)

My brother is a retired sports trainer, I'll call him and he can set up exercises for me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My father-in-law just managed a portion of the Via de la Plata earlier this year with us - significant because 18 months earlier he was lying at death's door from a spinal infection which also included complete disintegration of two vertabrae. He walked with a metal rod and many pins stabilising his back - and Pacerpoles stabilising himself. The kids and I carried his gear so he just had a water bladder in a pack. He had been walking at home with a bumbag containing two water bottles, but exchanged that for the hydration pack for the real walk. Sticking with what he knew to work would have been prudent;-) Maybe you can learn from his experience!
Find what works.
Strengthen your core.
Consider Pacerpoles (others might say any poles, but he even used the Pacers as part of his "learning to walk again" after his surgery - the doctors were amazed at how they worked and he was able to drop the upright walking frame sooner than expected because of the stability and ergonomics of these particular poles)
Don't worry.
Enjoy the journey. From now.

Hi, you mentioned pack weight including: water and trail snacks. Pack weight shouldn't count "expendables". Drink water (I prefer vino) eat snacks.
Arn
Vino ? One step forward, two steps backwards.? It's a long way to Santiago:)

Bom caminho !

I'm presently on the Camino Frances (my first time). I've been walking four weeks now & I've covered about 400kms. I would support recommendations on:
- core exercises to strengthen the core muscles; - using an Aarn backpack (although you may have already decided/ bought your pack);
- using Pacer poles.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
just one opinion...
buen camino
Good advice. Core strength is really important. Anything you can do to build that up will be good. One big reason to eventually get up to full pack weight in your training walks is to confirm your choice of pack, shoes and socks. I found it wasn't until I got up to about seven miles with full pack that my body started giving me the feedback I needed to hear. I was debating two different sock styles. The longer training walks helped me make that choice.

Good advice. Core strength is really important. Anything you can do to build that up will be good. One big reason to eventually get up to full pack weight in your training walks is to confirm your choice of pack, shoes and socks. I found it wasn't until I got up to about seven miles with full pack that my body started giving me the feedback I needed to hear. I was debating two different sock styles. The longer training walks helped me make that choice.

exactly, great point. You don't want to train always at max weight and distance (that will increase risk of pre-camino injury), but you need to train some at it. Shoes and clothes, etc that are "perfect" at three miles may be a disaster at 12. When I trained for my first marathon I was amazed at how many "perfect" shirts and socks were no longer so after mile seven. :eek: that was the mile distance I discovered my coach was right about not wearing cotton anything anywhere:oops:

exactly, great point. You don't want to train always at max weight and distance (that will increase risk of pre-camino injury), but you need to train some at it. Shoes and clothes, etc that are "perfect" at three miles may be a disaster at 12. When I trained for my first marathon I was amazed at how many "perfect" shirts and socks were no longer so after mile seven. :eek: that was the mile distance I discovered my coach was right about not wearing cotton anything anywhere:oops:
True enough. Clothing is a big item to prove out beforehand. I was debating between two types of hiking pants. My longer training hikes helped me make that decision. I second the "no cotton" statement.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS, but minimize blog site reading (consumes a lot of time) -- maximize exercise (any type or time -- because there is always an excuse not to!). Bye -- headed to the gym!

Yes, more time away from the computer is key. With hose, light socks, clothes I will wear - I am doing 4 miles with 11 lbs. (6.4k / 5k). This is all on flat ground, I will need to travel a bit to find hills and mountains. So far, so good. I have learned to keep my feet cool, no socks if over 55F (13C), this is wearing sandals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In which case I would suggest you get professional advice that is not available here.
Thanks, yes I have been under Dr. care and gone to Phy therapy. All of which has helped. So now it is a matter of slow training so I don't hurt myself. :) My Dr. said to go walk the Camino!!!! He has been very supportive of my goal.

My brother is an athletic trainer and consults on sports / other injuries the Drs where he lives can't figure out. Good advise there as well of go slow, work up to the weight and distance.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back