• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Increasing protein consumption

For qualified long distance hiking nutrition factual information the only real source I have found is by "Gear Skeptic" on youtube. This fellow is a scientist and long distance backpacker. He has a series of videos that go through all the aspects of protean requirements for people who hike long distances day after day and explains why those needs are different than just a day hike or even a marathon. At first you may think a video with hands in it showing factual information couldn't be entertaining and informative but I found the series to be addictive. All his information is derived from an astonishing amount of research into the findings of the leading sports health, nutrition, and performance departments of universities around the world. Everything is laid out in terms that we can all understand. I'm sure you'll find he turns a lot of advice you have heard on its ear. He also give you a plan and product information. Out of all the "stuff" on you tube and the internet his series will be the best time you have invested in staying healthy and improving your performance on trail. Here's a link if that helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for your post. I am planning the Camino Frances in spring 2023 and one of my concerns is if I am going to be able to find EASILY the food that I require. Because of health reasons I basically eat a ketogenic diet and have a restricted eating window (max 8 hours). All I seem to hear and see people talking about is eating a lot of bread and pasta and that is an absolute NO NO for me. I can not eat any grains. Basically I only eat meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, vegetables, small amount of fresh fruits, nuts, seeds. So your suggestion to eat eggs, pork and steaks daily is perfect for me. I also can not eat after 6PM due to digestion issues so the late albergue group meals won't work. Do you have any suggestions and can you help me set my expectations on how and when to get the food I need? Anyone input is welcome. Thanks for your help.
The Spanish tradition of eating the main meal of the day in the early afternoon will meet one of your needs. A high protein low carb diet is readily available just don't expect to get it at "Pilgrim" prices. Eat in restaurants that can meet your needs or buy canned / preserved protein foods and consume those at appropriate times. Buy fresh meat / Fish when you can and cook where you can. Most Albergues will be open by 14:00. Those with kitchens offer the opportunity to meet your needs

For qualified long distance hiking nutrition factual information the only real source I have found is by "Gear Skeptic" on youtube. This fellow is a scientist and long distance backpacker. He has a series of videos that go through all the aspects of protean requirements for people who hike long distances day after day and explains why those needs are different than just a day hike or even a marathon. At first you may think a video with hands in it showing factual information couldn't be entertaining and informative but I found the series to be addictive. All his information is derived from an astonishing amount of research into the findings of the leading sports health, nutrition, and performance departments of universities around the world. Everything is laid out in terms that we can all understand. I'm sure you'll find he turns a lot of advice you have heard on its ear. He also give you a plan and product information. Out of all the "stuff" on you tube and the internet his series will be the best time you have invested in staying healthy and improving your performance on trail. Here's a link if that helps.
Well, I just watched his 30 min post one on Performance Nutrition for Backpacking. I must say that I am impressed and will be watching parts 2-4. Thank you for this reference @FSP. It blew my thinking on endurance nutrition right out of the water. No wonder I crash at the end of a Camino day. I needed more fat calories! Who knew?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband kept saying, when I got tired by noon,"You need to Carbo load." My response was, "I've been Carbo loading for ten years, no thanks. I want protein!" This video is founded in science, and great to listen to, but I think I had it right!

The Spanish tradition of eating the main meal of the day in the early afternoon will meet one of your needs. A high protein low carb diet is readily available just don't expect to get it at "Pilgrim" prices. Eat in restaurants that can meet your needs or buy canned / preserved protein foods and consume those at appropriate times. Buy fresh meat / Fish when you can and cook where you can. Most Albergues will be open by 14:00. Those with kitchens offer the opportunity to meet your needs
Pretty much what I was figuring. THANKS

Hey... so I started eating/drinking these for breakfast on my last walk. Not always available, but I'd say 50% of supermercados had them.
DCF73F52-29FC-4038-A6D4-21E2D3CFF18B.jpegI am by no means a nutritionist however. What I like about protein is supposedly it helps prevent cravings for other things!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry for taking a while to respond.

Easiest plan in Spain is to eat platos combinados, but ask them to replace anything you cannot eat with a couple of eggs, or if you're daring see if they can't give you some cheese or ham or something.

Sometimes the menĂş is mostly fine, just ask for one swap.

Saying outright I can't eat bread does have a shock effect, and helps to get them listen to you.

I eat a high fat, low carb diet mainly because my insides don't particularly like starch. Mostly a sort of palaeo-type diet but I'm not a slave to it. I like a pizza every now and again :)

When I'm hiking I don't really worry too much about it. I'd rather just get the calories in first then worry about the macros. It's different on self-supported hikes where you're living off the food you can carry. Hiking food is god-awful (I make my own with a dehydrator) and are usually very carb-heavy. In Spain I never really found it a problem. Salads will usually have eggs and/or tuna. Main meal will usually be some meat and vegetables. Spanish shops have great selections of nuts and stuff. But for me it's not about increasing protein, it's about avoiding starch and maybe increasing fat.

I'm not convinced by the high protein fad. I do a lot of reasonably hard exercise and as long as I'm hitting a moderate protein intake everything is good. High protein brings its own set of issues as does low protein. For endurance activities I'd rather have more fatty foods than protein.

That said, I love jerky. I make a ton of it a couple of times a year and always take a bag whenever I'm doing a long hike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This resource is trés valuable - thanks for sharing! Perhaps most valuable is his recommendation for a recovery snack eaten within 15-30 minutes upon arrival that will offer long-term endurance over the course of one's trek. He recommends eating something that roughly provides carbohydrates and protein in a 3-4/1 ratio. This helps restore depleted glycogen stores to the muscles - greatly needed for your walk the following day. He states that walking requires healthy fats over carbs (which are more important for higher-intensity activities.) He recommends eating a breakfast comprised of 65% fats, ~7% protein and ~14% carbs (both simple and complex.) In my research of foods commonly found on the camino I have been surprised to learn that a large slice of baguette contains roughly 8 grams of protein, along with ~ 46 grams of carbs. Common sources of fat for breakfast so far include include olive oil, cream and butter. I am wondering if anyone else has suggestions for food found on the camino that can approach some of his recommendations?

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back