• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Indecision and questions about Camino for first time- helpful advice from pilgrims requested!

Thank you so much for your continued support and encouragement. It was definitely a huge factor in making the decision to do it!! Well, I am leaving in two days and I can't believe it. I wish I had more preparation and training. I ended up aggravating an old knee injury while on a practice walk and been going to a physiotherapist and doing exercises. Generally I was told to only walk short distances until I leave my trip to avoid any further injury. I'm really praying that my knee will be okay and that having walking poles will help. I just have to take it day by day and go at my own pace and hope I will be able to finish but know that it isn't a race and that it is my camino, however it ends up.

I am both excited and nervous at the same time! I've done so much research and preparation and otherwise I feel ready. I have all my gear and again am so thankful for this forum as I read so many threads to help me prepare and gain knowledge.

I learned of the incident in Barcelona today and it really shocked and upset me and I am so sorry for those that were affected. I don't want to put a damper on my excitement and preparations though as I am about to leave and need to try to stay positive and pray for the best.

Thank you again everyone. I hope I will be able to post an update while on the Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for your continued support and encouragement. It was definitely a huge factor in making the decision to do it!! Well, I am leaving in two days and I can't believe it. I wish I had more preparation and training. I ended up aggravating an old knee injury while on a practice walk and been going to a physiotherapist and doing exercises. Generally I was told to only walk short distances until I leave my trip to avoid any further injury. I'm really praying that my knee will be okay and that having walking poles will help. I just have to take it day by day and go at my own pace and hope I will be able to finish but know that it isn't a race and that it is my camino, however it ends up.

I am both excited and nervous at the same time! I've done so much research and preparation and otherwise I feel ready. I have all my gear and again am so thankful for this forum as I read so many threads to help me prepare and gain knowledge.

I learned of the incident in Barcelona today and it really shocked and upset me and I am so sorry for those that were affected. I don't want to put a damper on my excitement and preparations though as I am about to leave and need to try to stay positive and pray for the best.

Thank you again everyone. I hope I will be able to post an update while on the Way.
You just relax and let the way unfold itself.. it's a beautiful journey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laluna,

May I share with you these timeless wishes written by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 16th century in His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true guage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage....
"

May your journey be special.
Good luck and Buen camino!

Hi everyone,

My story is that I'm a 41 years old single female from Canada. I have had the Camino on my bucket list for years, since my early 20s after reading the Pilgrimmage by Paulo Coelho.

I've been working very long hard hours at my job and banked up a lot of vacation time. I was told that I need to take it so I booked two weeks off at the end of August/begininng of Septmember. I have no plans and am waffling in uncertainty about what to do and also about doing it alone. A coworker suggested that I do the Camino as she had done it before.

So suddenly it is on my radar but until this point has just been a big maybe, or could be or what if. I recently watched the movie "The Way" and felt very inspired. Since then, I joined facebook groups and have started doing more research, and now joined this forum for advice. The signs all seem to pointing to this being the time to do it. But my question is, can I do it with so little time to prepare? I haven't even started looking into flights, or planning what I need to take and buying a guide etc. etc. I don't want to be rushed so wonder if I should wait until next summer?

But another part of me feels I should seize the time and the future is so uncertain, that maybe the time is now. I feel I am at a point in my life that I would benefit from two weeks to myself just contemplating life, walking and meditating. Spiritually and mentally and physically I need time away to recharge but wonder if I can do it or if this is really for me.

I also feel anxious about going it alone as a middle aged female. And whether my level of fitness is adequate. I signed up for a local group that does practice walks and hoped to join them to help me prepare and talk to people. I was meant to go this morning but unfortunately miscalculated the bus and couldn't make it on time.

So, lots of questions. I thought it might help to join this forum and talk to others who are in the same boat or those who have done it before for advice and encouragement to just make the decision and do it.

I have two weeks so figure I would need to start somewhere around Leon but if anyone has advice on where to start for a two week walk that would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.
My plan is to do my first Camino on the Portugeuse starting from Porto ... perhaps as early as this fall but spring 2022 seems more likely. If there are time and $$$ available then tack on the Finisterre. If all goes well, then I will plan on doing the Frances some time afterward. I also have reservations but mine stem from aging issues, thus the easier & shorter Camino as an initiation. As a solo sailor the aloneness factor isn't a big thing for me but the thought of arriving at an albergue that is fully booked and sleeping in the streets continues to haunt me. Maybe there's something in this for you. Don't hold back.

My plan is to do my first Camino on the Portugeuse starting from Porto ... perhaps as early as this fall but spring 2022 seems more likely. If there are time and $$$ available then tack on the Finisterre. If all goes well, then I will plan on doing the Frances some time afterward. I also have reservations but mine stem from aging issues, thus the easier & shorter Camino as an initiation. As a solo sailor the aloneness factor isn't a big thing for me but the thought of arriving at an albergue that is fully booked and sleeping in the streets continues to haunt me. Maybe there's something in this for you. Don't hold back.

Their are taxis and buses one can call or take if faced with such a circumstance, which may help to reduce any such anxiety. Taxi to another town or city; then come the next morning, take a taxi back to where you left off. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino, Laluna. Take it easy until the knee comes back online. It's easy to reinjure by overdoing. Please keep us posted on your journey. I'm envious. Drew

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone,

My story is that I'm a 41 years old single female from Canada. I have had the Camino on my bucket list for years, since my early 20s after reading the Pilgrimmage by Paulo Coelho.

I've been working very long hard hours at my job and banked up a lot of vacation time. I was told that I need to take it so I booked two weeks off at the end of August/begininng of Septmember. I have no plans and am waffling in uncertainty about what to do and also about doing it alone. A coworker suggested that I do the Camino as she had done it before.

So suddenly it is on my radar but until this point has just been a big maybe, or could be or what if. I recently watched the movie "The Way" and felt very inspired. Since then, I joined facebook groups and have started doing more research, and now joined this forum for advice. The signs all seem to pointing to this being the time to do it. But my question is, can I do it with so little time to prepare? I haven't even started looking into flights, or planning what I need to take and buying a guide etc. etc. I don't want to be rushed so wonder if I should wait until next summer?

But another part of me feels I should seize the time and the future is so uncertain, that maybe the time is now. I feel I am at a point in my life that I would benefit from two weeks to myself just contemplating life, walking and meditating. Spiritually and mentally and physically I need time away to recharge but wonder if I can do it or if this is really for me.

I also feel anxious about going it alone as a middle aged female. And whether my level of fitness is adequate. I signed up for a local group that does practice walks and hoped to join them to help me prepare and talk to people. I was meant to go this morning but unfortunately miscalculated the bus and couldn't make it on time.

So, lots of questions. I thought it might help to join this forum and talk to others who are in the same boat or those who have done it before for advice and encouragement to just make the decision and do it.

I have two weeks so figure I would need to start somewhere around Leon but if anyone has advice on where to start for a two week walk that would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.
I took the train from Madrid to Leon, spent the night then took a bus to Astorga. I averaged 20k/day and made it to Santiago in 10 days. It was so scenic, some parts strenuous, hot at times, rainy many days. My favorite part was up to Sarria, this is where it gets crowded with hiking groups etc. I’m going back next year to start at the beginning and end in Burgos. I too only have 2 weeks0B580FBA-62B9-4140-B376-FE691F306ADD.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm pretty sure that it would be impossible for you @linkster to be embarazada (or embarazado😉) 😂
So early one morning leaving Azofra, I stop in the bar for a cafe. I leave without paying, some local taps me on the shoulder outside and points to the girl behind the bar. A little back and forth, and now I understand that I did not pay. "Lo siento, estoy muy embrazada." followed by lots of laughter. 🤣:eek: Beware the false cognate trap. :eek:

Hi everyone,

My wife and I did our first Camino in 2016 at age 59. We felt that we were often the youngest of people we met! We started in Ponferrada and walked through to SdC in 2 weeks. We met many single women of all ages walking alone. We did a lot of walking to prepare but not much more than usual. Our typical day was 18-24km. We did book our accommodation through one of the Camino tour companies. We often wished we hadn't and could just go with the flow, but we really appreciated knowing we had beds, dinner and breakfast along the Way. We did some other travel before and after so we had day packs and had our gear moved each day. A great option.
We returned in 2019, in mid September, and walked from Porto to Rendondela, and hope to return again to finish. This time we carried all our own gear, packed extra light, but stayed with the tour company we used before and had very nice places to stay.
There are wonderful resources here on this forums and people who are quite willing to assist you. I see that a number of the very experienced people here have already chimed in. Hopefully your plans will all work out. Hopefully, as Covid restrictions are lessened, the Camino will open up and facilities will be back to full operation when you go. Buen Camino!

Got it ! Whatever is Spanish for LOL ....many of the " youngins" just use jjjjj

Hi Laluna,

I’m from Vancouver area as well. Here's my perspective. I’ve twice postponed my time for doing the Camino (this fall, next spring...) and may need to do so again. I’m going on 68, but have faith I’ll become stronger, physically, mentally, spiritually, in the interim. I am content to have my preparations stretch further in time. One little chunk of Camino wisdom is that the pilgrimage begins when one steps out one's door. Mine has begun.

Look forward to meeting you on the Vancouver Camino walks,

Jo
68? Kid...I am 76, getting ready for my second Camino, and there are a bunch older than me here...go for it when you can..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back