• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Indecision- this year or next with less kgs- help!

Neoscan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept 2016)
Hi,
So, I have felt the call of the Camino. I can't seem to stop reading these forums- thanks for all the info everyone!

Although all the routes look amazing I really want to start with the Camino Frances leaving from St Jean Pied de Port if possible. Perhaps I'll attempt some of the other routes in future. I'm finding it extremely difficult to decide on whether to go this year staring in mid-September (I have commitments at home 15-19th Sept) or waiting until the start of next summer to begin.

My problem is that I am slightly worried that it would be easier on my knees if I lost some kgs first! I'm in my early 40s, and averagely fit but could probably do with losing 15kg to reach my idea weight (I'm 180cm and 100kg). As far as my knees and feet are concerned I suppose this would be like carrying an extra 15kg backpack for 5 weeks with I'm concerned about given all the advise about travelling as light as possible. Maybe I'm rushing into things a little if I go this coming September (the fact September is a good time to go for weather/crowds is perhaps putting a little bit of pressure on me to go this year)? Part of me really wants to go this year before winter arrives but part of me says to lose a bit of weight first and get out on walks etc over the winter to prepare a bit more for beginning next year (I would still have a couple of months to prepare just now if I went in Sept though).

Another thought I had was that I could do the Camino Ingles this year in early September to deal with my desire to walk on a Camino and go back in May or June next year for the Frances. But that's almost a whole year away...

So, anyways, I know many people in their 80s walk the Frances but I really think being overweight may be a huge burden for walking 800km. Does anyone have any advise on this? I am really finding it impossible to decide and would like to enjoy the walk as much as possible..

Thanks for any advise with this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no time like the present. Do it now. You'll manage just fine. If we always waited for the perfect time we would accomplish nothing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Difficult to offer any advice without knowing how much walking experience you already have. Have you made any long-distance walks before - perhaps of three or four consecutive days while carrying a rucksack? I'm always a little concerned when people commit themselves to walk the Camino Frances as their very first experience. If you are not confident of your own walking capability then I think it would be a good idea to walk a few long days closer to home first and see how you feel then. If you discover any problems with your fitness or your equipment then you will have the time and opportunity to resolve them. Your idea of walking the Ingles first for experience seems a sound one to me. Many people do walk the Frances without prior experience by starting very slow and building up their daily stages gradually. It works for some but others drop out with injuries. I can understand your impatience to begin but unless you are already happy with your fitness then I would recommend some preparation beforehand.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Carpe Diem!
If you start regular training soon you will most surely have time to drop some weight before September. I'm talking an hours steady walk every day, slowly increasing in speed, and therefore distance. Leading up to your departure get in some hill walking.
Your ability to sustain regular training will be enhanced by your enthusiasm to walk the Camino.
And, like most of us, you will probably lose weight as you walk the Camino, and feel better about yourself at the end.
Seize the day!
Seize the Camino!

Regards
Gerard

Your other variables include speed, distance/day, consecutive days vs rest days, a day or half day on public transit, and doing just a chunk rather than SJPP to Santiago.

Most of all have fun testing the waters and come back for more!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with the advice above - don't postpone for this reason. Do the training (and even gradual weight loss) that you can in the time remaining. Pack very light (6-7 kg before food and water), be prepared to walk slowly and use bag/bus transport if necessary. Consider starting in Roncesvalles - partly to eliminate the anxiety and knee-challenge of the stage from SJPP, but also to ease the time pressure for the whole trip if you have only 5 weeks.

Alternatively, do a shorter trip this year. My first was 2 weeks from Astorga to Santiago. It was long enough to get a variety of landscapes, culture and fellow pilgrims, and gave a good sense of the Camino.

Hi,
So, I have felt the call of the Camino. I can't seem to stop reading these forums- thanks for all the info everyone!

Although all the routes look amazing I really want to start with the Camino Frances leaving from St Jean Pied de Port if possible. Perhaps I'll attempt some of the other routes in future. I'm finding it extremely difficult to decide on whether to go this year staring in mid-September (I have commitments at home 15-19th Sept) or waiting until the start of next summer to begin.

My problem is that I am slightly worried that it would be easier on my knees if I lost some kgs first! I'm in my early 40s, and averagely fit but could probably do with losing 15kg to reach my idea weight (I'm 180cm and 100kg). As far as my knees and feet are concerned I suppose this would be like carrying an extra 15kg backpack for 5 weeks with I'm concerned about given all the advise about travelling as light as possible. Maybe I'm rushing into things a little if I go this coming September (the fact September is a good time to go for weather/crowds is perhaps putting a little bit of pressure on me to go this year)? Part of me really wants to go this year before winter arrives but part of me says to lose a bit of weight first and get out on walks etc over the winter to prepare a bit more for beginning next year (I would still have a couple of months to prepare just now if I went in Sept though).

Another thought I had was that I could do the Camino Ingles this year in early September to deal with my desire to walk on a Camino and go back in May or June next year for the Frances. But that's almost a whole year away...

So, anyways, I know many people in their 80s walk the Frances but I really think being overweight may be a huge burden for walking 800km. Does anyone have any advise on this? I am really finding it impossible to decide and would like to enjoy the walk as much as possible..

Thanks for any advise with this.
If you train now for a few months you will lose weight very quickly. I reckon if you put your mind to it you could lose at least 10kgs and also have you in a pretty good position to tackle the camino. Don't waste the time you have to prepare.

The Camino Frances, though a bit of a beast in a few spots, overall is not that difficult a walk for a man in his early 40's with no medical issues and a few kilos overweight. I walked it for the first time 3 years ago at 52 years of age, with no prior training for it.
You got a couple of months to get ready if you walk it in September. Stretching. Core and upper body exercises. Change your diet. Do some long walks to get the body conditioned. When you start walking the Camino, know your physical limitations. Walk within those. Make sure your pack weighs under 9/10 kilos. Stay hydrated.
I say just do it. If you don't you will be wondering all year why you didn't, ha ha.
In other words, just walk the Camino, dude. Don't think too much about it. Get to SJPdP and get to stepping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A second thought: why not Pamplona to Burgos? Then when you return to start in SJPP you'll have a very fresh experience for a few days before you start retracing your steps. And both have good transport connections.

You really need to figure out what is motivating you to do the Camino.

I would remind you that this is a Holy Year created by the Pope for pilgrims. Camino Holy Years don't come around that often. Doing the Camino in such a year does add to the meaning and experience.

If you are just worried about weight carried by your knees, the advice to ship you bags ahead and only carry a light day rucksack with rain jacket, food, first aid kit, water is a great way to minimize what your knees carry.

If you are still concerned about your knees not holding out, you can do what I did, and do it by bicycle.

Finally, the minimum is 100 km of walking or 200 km of bicycle riding. That means you could do an abbreviated version of the Camino in as little as a week, but then it wouldn't be much of a pilgrim experience. There is nothing requiring you to start in SJPP. There is nothing requiring you to not skip portions where your knees can't handle it, as long as you complete the last 100 to 200 km.

Ultimately, you are the person that needs to decide what it is you are looking for out of your Camino.

Whenever you do it, and where ever you start, enjoy!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go this year. Beautiful time of the year, you will shed poundson the Camino and then can walk a different route next spring at a lower weight ;0)

Wait? Why?
Unless you have no walking experience whatsoever and don't have the confidence to go for over a month--and then the Ingles or Leon-Santiago might indeed be a good idea.
Only you know your body and your fitness. But if at all possible, just do it--and don't waver simply on account of weight. As many have said you'll likely drop some weight as you train. I'd also agree with the idea of starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona. It would take some pressure off.
Buen Camino!

The hardest step on a 1000 mile journey is the first one ...

The only one who can decide to go is you.

€149,-
I have never been the kind of person who could set a goal in the far future (like lose kilos to have a better Camino)
. The same things that prevented me from losing that weight prior are still there and the wonderful carrot of the Csmino does not seem to over ride what ever those things are ( self care/ love, discipline, time, energy)
I, too, am aware that if i lost 15 lbs my knees would thank me. I set my goal not to lose weight, but to get fit.
In the last months of training with no changes in my questionable eating habits, I have lost 13 lb. It was a gift of the process.
My goal to eat better now is to fuel me, not weight loss, I don't want to set a goal I never bothered to meet before. I dont need to add that stress.

This journey, which had begun already, is to listen to what my body needs, to treat myself gently, and to honor my choices and their outcomes without judgement.
So my opinion : go now. Do not hold the criteria of hoops to jump through before allowing yourself the gift of your Camino
Nanc

Wow! Thank you so much guys- I didn't expect this much feedback to a somewhat ambiguous post. It is probably difficult to answer my question without knowing my background etc but you all responded in a very positive way which is really encouraging (still trying to figure out if first reply from 'MinaKamina' was positive or not, but it was very quick so hey, I'll give it points...).

It seems somewhat apparent that attitude is more important than physical ability on this Camino but that is always the case on such physical/mental/spiritual challenges, right? Of course, it is impossible to offer me real advice without knowing my physical fitness level, previous walking experience, etc but you all tried with much encouragement which is amazing- thank you! I guess my post was a way of expressing my doubts and you have responded in just the way I needed.

Background: I have walked for days with a heavy backpack in New Zealand years ago and spent a night or two walking through the Highlands of Scotland more recently- does this make me a novice or someone with a little experience? i.e., I've walked for days with a very heavy backpack before but I'm not your typical 'outdoorsy' type. Oh jeeze, I've probably come across as some lazy, overweight office worker that has never spent a day in the wilderness before in his life! This is definitely not the case! I'm not Mr Outdoors but I grew up in the Scottish Highlands so have a slight indication of what the Camino might be like (i.e. not like the Scottish Highlands!). I have circumnavigated this planet we call 'Earth' a few times so sleeping in hostels or dorms etc is not going to be a huge issue - I can deal with potentially snoring environments! I was just worried about my knees/6 weeks walking...

Basically, I read all these posts and some are from lawyers (or taxi drivers, dolphin tamers, etc) that have never spent a day out of NYC (or Sydney/Beijing/Timbuktu) and others that are from eternal backpackers and it's really hard to get a real sense of how challenging this Camino is! Some say your 80 year old grandmother could do it x2 backwards and some talk about people in their 20s dropping out on the 1st day.

Thank you SO much once again. Planning things is difficult, as perhaps you know, so all your responses are so much appreciated. MinaKamina- much as I appreciate you quick response of 'I'd say have your backpack transported and carry only a small day pack' I'm still trying to figure out if that was a helpful or just quick resonse- maybe if we meet on the Camino I'll have you transported ;)

Anyways, thanks again and please don't stop replying just because I've responded here now- it's a difficult dilemma and one that really probably just needs encouragement perhaps. All responses are greatly appreciated :) I'll keep you posted because for no other reason than I hate people asking\posting to internet forums and then disappearing of the face of earth into the abyss! It may not be next week (or it may be) but I will certainly report back. Thanks again (honestly, I never thought posts from strangers on an internet forum could mean so much!).

Buen Camino!

Arch*

I have walked for days with a heavy backpack in New Zealand years ago and spent a night or two walking through the Highlands of Scotland more recently- does this make me a novice or someone with a little experience? i.e., I've walked for days with a very heavy backpack before but I'm not your typical 'outdoorsy' type.
Arch, given this, you'll be fine! If you're concerned at all, take it easy for the first week by walking relatively short days--using that as a week of intensive training. Start at SJPP and perhaps take 2 days to get ot Roncesvalles, and amble along at an easy pace.
And you will probably lose weight between now and Sept and along the way so definitely don't let that stop you!

I never thought posts from strangers on an internet forum could mean so much!
You'll find information and much more here. It's not your usual internet forum. It's a virtual albergue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My experience - I walked St. Jean Pied de Port to Logrono in 10 days weighing 130kg... Got home 3 weeks ago. No blisters and no more pain than to be expected after going from working in an office to walking all day. I used the Express Burricot shuttle up to the Croix and walked the rest of the way over the Pyrenees without any problems. Carried my own pack weighing around 6,5kg without water and food. Off course everything might have been easier with less weight, but I loved it and I am going back!

Welcome Arch!

Go or wait - what a dilemma! My two cents worth is Carpe Diem! Life can change is a mind moment and the only certainty is in this present moment. This has been reinforced for me lately with family and friends caught up in sudden and unexpected life-changing circumstances, all their plans currently on standby.

Background: I have walked for days with a heavy backpack in New Zealand years ago and spent a night or two walking through the Highlands of Scotland more recently- does this make me a novice or someone with a little experience?

It's all relative - this would make you a Middle Earther more experienced than a total novice and less so than an 'eternal' backpacker. Good to go!

it's really hard to get a real sense of how challenging this Camino is!

Good observation! Once again, it's a subjective and relative call. For me, (eternal backpacker category) it was still a walk that demanded respect because of the total distance but because we took our time, it was not overly physically taxing. The excellent advice provided here should serve you well. Take it easy to begin with and build up distance as your conditioning improves.

'I'd say have your backpack transported and carry only a small day pack' I'm still trying to figure out if that was a helpful or just quick resonse- maybe if we meet on the Camino I'll have you transported ;)

Very helpful. If you are concerned about how your knees will cope keeping your backpack weight low is a must. Transport your main pack for a few days and see how you fare. You can always add some extra weight to what you carry each day and gauge how your knees cope with this. Also search through this forum for recommended physios along the Way - as a backup plan, just in case.

Thanks again (honestly, I never thought posts from strangers on an internet forum could mean so much!).

As @Viranani says, it's not a forum, it's our virtual albergue.

Hey Arch - I'm heavier than you and doing a week's walking in October - from SJPDP until...well wherever I get to. I have been doing some training and feel pretty confident. As all the experienced folk here point out - manage within your own limitations. I'm losing weight before I start and I suspect that I will lose some during the walk. My advice would be to go for it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I say go for it this year. As others are saying I say to train but add that your training walks should be done in the footwear that you plan to wear. Break them in at the same time you do your best not to break down.

Hi Arch,
Okay - well - I'm a girl and that might make a difference. I first walked from SJPP to Santiago (and beyond) when I was 59. I lost 20 pounds. I've since walked it 3 more times, and each time I do the same (because I keep finding those darn 20 pounds again). And incidentally - no blisters - ever (to this point) - no bedbugs (yet?). And I always feel SO much better by the time I finish walking that I ever do when I start.

I'm lucky because my knees don't bother me, but I take it pretty easy too and stop after about 15km if I'm tired or feeling off. I do take magnesium along with me but haven't ever had to take any kind of pain killer. (I know - really lucky). I did almost no training beyond a few short walks ahead of time and got stronger as I went.

Make a reservation and stop at Refuge Orisson for the first night if you want to break yourself in slowly. The worst that happens with your first short day is that you'll get to meet a bunch of great people from lots of countries and have a good meal.
www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

Incidentally, on one of my trips I got talking to a German man who was about 60, and was tall, and pretty stocky. Among a variety of technological gadgets he was carrying was a calorie counter. He said that on average he was burning 6000 calories a day. I can't verify the accuracy of his gadget of course, but it's a great thought!
Buen camino!

Arch, your walk is your training. I wouldn't suggest going cold but with some training and if you take it easy in the beginning to build up your stamina and resilience, you will be fine. Three peices of advice for your knees: use walking poles, transport your luggage at least initially, and keep your first week/10 days short.
Enjoy it's an amazing experience and September is lovely (but so is May).
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
(still trying to figure out if first reply from 'MinaKamina' was positive or not, but it was very quick so hey, I'll give it points...)
Can't speak for MinaKamina but I'd say her comment was positive. The point is, if you decide, after a day or two, that the weight you are carrying is excessive, just call Jacotrans. No reason not to. Certainly no reason to put off your Camino.

If not now when?

I'm 127kg 1.85m tall (280lbs 6' 1" according to the non metric, fat according to my daughter) - if I put it off while I lose weight/got fitter I'd never go.

Besides if, god forbid, you get hit by a meteorite before Christmas you'll rue the day if you didn't go :)

Off you go then!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back