• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Indulgences

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
You don't have to walk to Santiago to earn indulgences. Thousands of pilgrims arrive at the cathedral every month to earn partial indulgences and millions come in the Holy Year to gain a plenary indulgence.
"An indulgence is partial or plenary according as it partially or wholly frees a person from the temporal punishment due for sins."
The plenary indulgence is still granted to those who visit the Cathedral and the tomb of the Apostle at any time during a Holy Year, make their confession, attend Mass, pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, and undertake some charitable work (this can include a charitable donation). The indulgence may also be gained on behalf of the dead.
Conditions are:
1) To visit the Cathedral, where the Tomb of Saint James the Great lies.
2) To recite a prayer (such as the Creed or the Lord's Prayer praying for His Holiness the Pope). It is recommended to attend the Pilgrims' Mass.
3) To receive the Sacraments of Confession (it may be 15 days before or after) and Communion. Both are responsible for the conversion and the compromise of love to Jesus and our brothers. This is the heritage of Saint James.
The grace of the Jubilee is basically a plenary indulgence for the forgiveness of the punishment our sins deserve.
In 1456 the British pilgrim William Wey, recorded these indulgences:
- for making the trip to Compostela: remission of a third of one’s sins; if you die on the road, total remission.
- for taking part in each religious procession in the city of Compostela: 40 days’ indulgences; if the procession is led by a mitered bishop, 200 days more.
- if the procession is that of July 24th: 600 days
- hearing mass at which an archbishop, dean or cardinal officiates: 200 days
hearing mass at the Monte de Gozo: 100 days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sil
As informative as ever! I was interested to read that William Wey considered that he would get one third off purgatory-does they Catholic church still maintain this? By contrast the current pope has said that 'pilgrims' to Lourdes earn half their time off-I wonder why the difference-is there a hierarchy in this sort of thing?

You can read more about indulgences here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm

In the middle ages, a pilgrim who died whilst on a pilgrimage would have his/her slate wiped clean and go straight to heaven. There are many poignant pilgrim memorials along the camino. Here are just two of the many photographs I took this year.
The first is a sculpture memorial to a German cyclist, Heinrich Krause, who died outside el Acebo of a heart attack in 1987 at the age of 70.
The 2nd is a memorial to a 69 year-old pilgrim, Guillermo Watt, who died just one day from Sanitago.[Sanitago.[attachment=1]

Attachments

• Bicycle Memorial.jpg
    Bicycle Memorial.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 640
  • Boots memorial.JPG
    Boots memorial.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 641
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for that Sil.Quite a weighty article but the 'authorrity' that the church claims for issuing indulgences seems to associated with the 'merits of christ and the saints' but what seemed to be lacking was specific biblical authority.Presumambly this was why Wycliff,Luther andTyndale(and many others) condemned indulgences but the church retained them for the huge monetary rewards they brought.
I also clicked on pilgrimage and came up with
"Pilgrimages may be defined as journeys made to some place with the purpose of venerating it, or in order to ask there for supernatural aid, or to discharge some religious obligation".

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back