• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inevitable for feet to stink, or a sign of bad shoes?

KyleJ

Hi all,

I've bought a pair of Merrells and tested them out in the desert. After just a day of wearing them, my feet smelled like death itself. Is this something I should just counter with foot powder, or is it a sign that I should invest in different waterproof shoes?

Thanks much,
Kyle

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try applying some hand sanitizer to your feet in the morning. Most foot odor is caused by bacteria and the sanitizer will help control that. It sure has worked for me.

I find that leather boots help to reduce foot odour, although after a few weeks on the road even they will begin to smell. I have used zinc oxide powder and that certainly helps to reduce the smell and also fights fungus issues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
jeff001 said:
Most foot odor is caused by bacteria
All foot odour is caused by bacteria.
So every day clean feet and clean socks. (There are even silver-socks which kill odor-causing bacteria, thus preventing odors).
Those bacteria might have infested your shoes. You can kill them by placing your boots overnight in a freezer at -20 Celcius.
And finally, there are specialized products against smelly feet.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

We wear leather boots but still use a good powder for both our feet and boots. Ask for 'fungusol en polvo' at any farmacia in Spain. A little expensive but worth it. Ours is 60gm size and has lasted for ages. I use it on my feet after a shower, Terry prefers to use it in the morning begore setting off. We both put some in our boots overnight, helps keep them smelling sweet and dry.
Then there are also various socks etc............

My uncle is a shoe repair man and when I recently asked him how to cure sandals that stink he advised to take a bucket of temperate water (not too hot - its bad for the glue) and add some vinegar and let the sandals soak - probably for a good while.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Won't work in sandals, but baking soda sprinkled in shoes or boots will control the smell too.

Responding to the OP: I'm noticing you report the problem after wearing waterproof shoes in the desert. There's a chain of causation here: heat> heat buildup due to inadequate ventilation > feet sweat > bacteria grow in moisture > bacteria make odor. So anything (or everything) you can do to interrupt this chain will improve the problem.

- Ventilate your feet by removing the boots at every rest stop
- Dry out your boots at night by wearing an alternate pair of shoes at the lodging, and pulling out the insoles to facilitate drying
- Improve moisture evaporation by using liner socks
- Remove moisture by changing to dry socks at the midday halt
- Use a foot powder on the feet and in the socks to control moisture
- Control bacteria by washing thoroughly with soap when you shower. Supplement by using sanitizer gel and/or anti-fungal powder.

But I think, really, the cause is inappropriate footwear for the environment: waterproof boots are not (generally speaking) appropriate for hot desert temperatures, precisely due to the lack of ventilation.

On occasion my feet have been known to stink very badly. :oops: I've used Odoreaters and Scholl sprays, which help greatly, but better to start using them on feet and boots before the problem even starts to develop. I also tried two 'pill box' sized things (also Scholl) that you put in each boot at night and were reasonably effective, but not as good as spray.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.