• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inflation surge in northern Spain? (Winter 21/22)

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I’ve recently been reading a couple news articles about inflation surging in Europe.

Wondering how that’s affecting northern Spain and towns on the Camino Frances?

I’m hoping to do a March/April Camino start from Roncevalles. A couple years ago when I was planning I was budgeting at about 30 or €35 a day. Now it seems like I need about €50 a day. But I’m worried that that number is going to get even higher?

I know, I know, crystal ball, right? Still interested in peoples thoughts.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It would not surprise me in the least, sadly.

Most of European population are heavily impacted by fluctuations in energy costs and Spain is no exception. There are (and have been in the past) governmental measures to soften the blow but, over time, the inflationary impact does manifest.

Here's a link to track this particular facet in case you are interested:

B

Most of European population are heavily impacted by fluctuations in energy costs and Spain is no exception. There are (and have been in the past) governmental measures to soften the blow but, over time, the inflationary impact does manifest.

B
Interesting, And if I read that graph right, it shows the price is going down substantially everywhere except in Spain and Portugal? But that first column is for tomorrow’s projection?

So the month to date is the average for the last month, and the year to date is the average for the last year? If I understand that correctly that’s a huge movement.

But I have no context, So maybe I misunderstand what a graph is showing. And I wonder why they don’t include Italy in their information?

And of course I guess what I need is the three month projection. Although I think that’s niegh impossible in energy markets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's worth ignoring tomorrows Spot price which is speculative and reflects the offer not the sale price. The Month & Annual averages demonstrate that energy prices in Europe have doubled, even trebled in some markets, in the last (rolling) twelve months. The knock-on impacts manufacture, distribution, retail and domestic budgets.

One consequence? Don't expect a warm room in your Albergue / Hostal in March. No-one is going to heat a space that may not be occupied. Take that sleeping-bag.

Energy costs actually provide a fairly inaccurate predictor of general inflation because governments tend to interfere with cross-subsidies - tax breaks and the ilk. Nevertheless it might be prudent to assume a need to double your previous budget.

It's worth ignoring tomorrows Spot price which is speculative and reflects the offer not the sale price. The Month & Annual averages demonstrate that energy prices in Europe have doubled, even trebled in some markets, in the last (rolling) twelve months. The knock-on impacts manufacture, distribution, retail and domestic budgets.

One consequence? Don't expect a warm room in your Albergue / Hostal in March. No-one is going to heat a space that may not be occupied. Take that sleeping-bag.

Energy costs actually provide a fairly inaccurate predictor of general inflation because governments tend to interfere with cross-subsidies - tax breaks and the ilk. Nevertheless it might be prudent to assume a need to double your previous budget.
^^^ Agreed in all respects! ^^^

The data I provided was to show the gross historical change in price which has been significant. The daily spot market changes are just "noise".

While doubling your budget might seem drastic, it also would be my target for sake of prudence. The very least that I would factor in would be in the 35-40% range of increase.

B

While doubling your budget might seem drastic, it also would be my target for sake of prudence. The very least that I would factor in would be in the 35-40% range of increase.
Nevertheless it might be prudent to assume a need to double your previous budget.
Double? Yes, that’s probably good advice, although not what I wanted to be told. Maybe €70 a day? I won’t let that stop me. Spending 1000 or 1500 more euros than I expected is substantial for me, but I also won’t remember it in three years. I’ll just remember my experiences.

And good point on the heat and need for a sleeping bag. Maybe it will also be my excuse to buy that fancy Merino blend long underwear I’ve been eyeing.

Of course other things in the world that I have no control over, may stop me anyway, but we’ll see.

I do still wonder what’s going on inflation-wise specifically in Pamplona, Burgos or Santiago, for instance.
Thanks for chiming in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

B
Ok, I'm reading the tread and, for a minute there, I thought my tablet screen was infected with tiny bugs. I better lay off the sauce😨

Allow me a short rant on the subject of prices in Spain.... this country has long been one of the poorer / cheaper regions of Europe while at the same time having a modern infrastructure. Research minimum wages in Andalusia (they are probably a little higher in northern Spain) and you will understand why so many northern Europeans choose to holiday, spend winters or retire here, it is much cheaper and has a better climate than nearly all other European countries. Spain has very few oil & gas resource so has to rely on imports and wind-power, no wonder it is subject to market conditions. Walking the camino(s) perigrinos will pay perhaps €25 / night for dinner bed & b'fast, another €10 for lunch and a €1 or 2 for coffee - to me that's pretty good value. If that's' too much go walking in India, Vietnam or any African country!! How much would a similar hike cost in your country? Rant over, enjoy your time in Spain and don't begrudge spending a few extra Euros / dollars / pounds.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Allow me a short rant on the subject of prices in Spain.... this country has long been one of the poorer / cheaper regions of Europe while at the same time having a modern infrastructure. Walking the camino(s) perigrinos will pay perhaps €25 / night for dinner bed & b'fast, another €10 for lunch and a €1 or 2 for coffee - to me that's pretty good value. If that's' too much go walking in India, Vietnam or any African country!! How much would a similar hike cost in your country? Rant over, enjoy your time in Spain and don't begrudge spending a few extra Euros / dollars / pounds.
I think you didn’t read this thread carefully enough and missed the point. So your rant seems……..pointless to me?

The days of the budget your listing are finished. The consensus of this thread is that next year it’s most likely twice that. Spending 35 or €40 a day would be quite attractive. It’s €70 or more a day that starts to hurt.

I think you’re being unfair to me when I’m simply trying to budget my Camino, as opposed to complaining about costs.

It’s true, though, I never take traditional vacations in my own country, unless it’s something like camping. I can’t afford them.

Last edited:
Double? Yes, that’s probably good advice, although not what I wanted to be told. Maybe €70 a day? I won’t let that stop me. Spending 1000 or 1500 more euros than I expected is substantial for me, but I also won’t remember it in three years. I’ll just remember my experiences.

And good point on the heat and need for a sleeping bag. Maybe it will also be my excuse to buy that fancy Merino blend long underwear I’ve been eyeing.

Of course other things in the world that I have no control over, may stop me anyway, but we’ll see.

I do still wonder what’s going on inflation-wise specifically in Pamplona, Burgos or Santiago, for instance.
Thanks for chiming in.
You have, IMHO, the right attitude.....

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." (Sydney J. Harris)

B

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve recently been reading a couple news articles about inflation surging in Europe.

I’m hoping to do a March/April Camino start from Roncevalles. A couple years ago when I was planning I was budgeting at about 30 or €35 a day. Now it seems like I need about €50 a day. But I’m worried that that number is going to get even higher?

I think 50 Euros a day will be more than adequate. Seventy euro's a day seems unrealistic too me unless you are staying in hotels. I would argue you could not spend 70 euros a day in most towns, on the Frances, unless you were buying my drinks^^.

Budget is all dependent on how you travel. You can still do a public albergue and a pilgrim meal for 30€ a night (I know because I did it in October 2021 in France/Spain/Portugal). Yes, prices were up about 20% so I increased my minimum budget from the previous daily 25€. If you want private rooms and lavish meals? Also up 20% over pre-Covid amounts. Budget your travel as you see fit.

You have, IMHO, the right attitude.....

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." (Sydney J. Harris)

B
Regret, imo, is wasted energy. You can not change your decision and you will never know if the outcome would have been better. Living in the present is the way to go.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Coming from the US, inflation in northern Spain should not bother you per se. The price level goes up and the euro has less purchasing power. If the purchasing power of the USD remains the same, you would get more euros per dollar. Do you?

Coming from the US, inflation in northern Spain should not bother you per se. The price level goes up and the euro has less purchasing power. If the purchasing power of the USD remains the same, you would get more euros per dollar. Do you?
That an interesting thought. But that’s guessing the dollar becomes much stronger against the euro? and that’s not the sense I’m getting when I looked at some currency websites just now.

Inflation is high in the US as well. But I’m not sure how it compares.

I kinda/sorta see where you are coming from but...

"Currency exchange rates" and "country CPI changes" are not things that adjust naturally in an offsetting balance....at least from my experience in designing multi-year contracts for US companies selling into Europe and other countries. (Mainly in ag commodities, food, and/or beverage sectors)

Not to be pedantic, but a Euro cost about $1.06 USD in late December 2016. Link:

As I write, it costs about $1.13 USD. Link:

So, that's about a 6.6% rise in cost of a Euro to a US citizen over the 5-year period.

Contrasted to that, we then look at Spain's official statistics for CPI changes using 2016 as a base. No need to read the whole thing, just look at the top of page 8, "1. National indices: overall index and divisions"

You will see the in-country changes have added another 10% to costs since 2016. I will note this is the officially acknowledged change. ALL govts tend to under-state reality on such matters.

B

I think 50 Euros a day will be more than adequate. Seventy euro's a day seems unrealistic too me unless you are staying in hotels. I would argue you could not spend 70 euros a day in most towns, on the Frances, unless you were buying my drinks^^.
I like the way you think! And if I run into you in some Camino town, I will buy your drinks, at least for one night!

Contrasted to that, we then look at Spain's official statistics for CPI changes using 2016 as a base. No need to read the whole thing, just look at the top of page 8, "1. National indices: overall index and divisions"

You will see the in-country changes have added another 10% to costs since 2016. I will note this is the officially acknowledged change. ALL govts tend to under-state reality on such matters.

B
You’re obviously much more of a scholar of inflation and currency then I am and probably most of the people on this forum. All very interesting, thank you. But those general statistics are really hard to turn into real world area specific experiences.

Maybe some real Camino specific data could be garnered if one could track the prices of accommodations on the camino route. Probably a site like booking.com has that data but I’m not sure if they share it. Or menus from restaurants.

But I see your thesis: prices have gone up a little bit in general in Spain. We’ll see where it moves in the next 3 or 4 months.
And if I’m there, I’ll let you all know.

You’re obviously much more of a scholar of inflation and currency then I am and probably most of the people on this forum. All very interesting, thank you. But those general statistics are really hard to turn into real world area specific experiences.

Maybe some real Camino specific data could be garnered if one could track the prices of accommodations on the camino route. Probably a site like booking.com has that data but I’m not sure if they share it. Or menus from restaurants.

But I see your thesis: prices have gone up a little bit in general in Spain. We’ll see where it moves in the next 3 or 4 months.
And if I’m there, I’ll let you all know.
General trends are all anyone can hope to get a handle on as far as I can tell. Operating costs for a facility can be all over the board and very localized. And, at the current time, I am seeing a lot of volatility in basic financial issues in both the USA and abroad.

If you desire residence in specific towns for specific dates (rest days) then booking online may save you some expense for those areas. Once you are back in the countryside though? Your best mantra is likely to be "It is what it is."

Consider that the current survivors in the Camino businesses have an obligation to themselves and employees to maintain a sustainable business into the future. There might be some price-gougers out there but, with the connectivity of the internet, they cannot practice that for very long.

Budget 70 euro/day and if you don't use it, great! There's no downside to the approach.

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Budget 70 euro/day and if you don't use it, great! There's no downside to the approach.

B
@Stephan the Painter, I agree with @simply B & the others who have suggested €70 per day;
*it doesn't mean you will, or have to spend that much,
*if it does end up costing that in some places, you will already be mentally accepting of it & less likely to suffer 'sticker shock' &
*if overall you come in under budget for your journey, you will have that warm & fuzzy feeling of money still in the bank...perhaps a deposit for your next trip?!
Best wishes...I hope you're not getting too bogged down in the inflationary aspect that it takes away from the excitement & anticipation of your Camino!
Happy trails.
👣 🌏

Stephan worrying about cost (inflation) is like worrying about the weather (rain, snow). A waste of energy, imo.

Just look at gronze.com and you can get a good idea of current costs. I just finished Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo in late October and you could still get bye on 35euros a day. If you can and do budget 50 euros you will be fine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Electricity prices in Spain are certainly going up, according to this El Pais article, to 383+ euros and possibly as high as 400 per megavolt, from 200 in October. This is mainly due to a gas shortage that has affected countries all over Europe. So yes, prices are likely to be higher.

I think you are confusing exchange rates with inflation. If you get the same number of euros for your dollar, but fewer goods for the euros you get, you are worse off. It may be that as a country's economy falters, prices rise (inflation) but the exchange rate falls (dollar buys more local currency), but don't depend on it.

In general, your budget ≠ someone else's budget. It's a very personal thing and is based not only on overall prices/inflation in the country, but also your personal choice and needs.

To find out what your daily budget is, just do some research to get a fairly accurate idea.

Personally, I prefer albergues (+campsites) and self catering. So:

Looking at Gronze for example, I can see that albergue beds on the CF seem to cost between 10-15 Euros in most cases at the moment, with some still cheaper and some a bit more. I can keep the average I pay at 10 Euros if I level out the more expensive ones with cheaper ones --> 10 Euro/day.

For an idea about food cost, supermarket websites are a good ressource (for tiny tiendas I expect double the price from supermarkets). Pasta, tomato sauce, chick peas, bread, olives, fruit - all not very expensive. Even beer and wine is still cheap enough --> 10 Euros /day. I know I can get by with even less if necessary.

A coffee, beer or snack in a bar --> 5-10 Euros per day. It's a luxury - if I need to cut cost at some point, I'm still happy with supermarket food only.

Therefore, personally, I'd still budget 25-30 Euros/day.

Of course if you eat everything from restaurants only and stay in the fanciest private albergues or private rooms only, if you use pack transport daily, ect., your budget has to be a very different one. But not everyone want or needs that.

I remember when I first found the forum, before my first camino, I didn't dare to post anything, I only read. My daily budget was lower than what was deemed necessary, and I often saw the advise to "stay at home and save more money" if you can't spend a certain amount per day, which wasn't an option for me back then. Had I asked the forum at that point to give advice, I probably would never have walked.

Don't understand me wrong, I don't want to encourage people to walk with irrensponsibly low budget. The less money you can spend, the better your planning needs to be, and you always need an emergency exit plan. But it is certainly still possible to walk with less than 70 Euros/day, especially if you're someone who's already used to live on a low budget in your daily life back at home...

Edit: links
https://www.dia.es/compra-online/# Dia is a very common supermarket brand. On the website you can search for all kinds of food items to get an idea for prices. As I said, think double prices in small village shops.
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances Usually up to date regarding which places are open and what they cost. Will also give you links to albergues websites if they have one, where you can check for current prices also (if meals are available at the albergue sometimes prices for that are also shown).

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
and you always need an emergency exit plan
Thank you, your post has very good and thoughtful information. Certainly a good idea to check gronze shortly before I go to see if prices have changed dramatically. I’m hoping grocery store costs don’t go up so dramatically that it would really affect things. After all, it’s local residents who would suffer most from that.

Curious about what you meant about an emergency exit plan? Are you just talking about Accommodation planning?

The current huge concern about inflation is being blown out of proportion, imo. Anyone who lived through the late 70's and 80's will remember when inflation was in double digits. Now, with Covid and some countries strict response impacting supply chain and countries flooding their markets with liquidity, we temporarily have 4-6% inflation.

The easy solution to this problem is for everyone to get vaccinated. Covid will be come more manageable and Supply Chain will get back to normal.

There will still be spikes of inflation driven by seasonality issues and weather but these issues are temporary and more controllable.

And perhaps there is some further explanation needed about what kind of Camino I was planning on.

My plans were for a typical walk, mostly staying in our albergues, sometimes self catering during the day and sometimes lunch at a restaurant. Hopefully dinner at night with fellow walkers I meet. Maybe once a week a room in a hotel where I can really relax and really clean up. Plans I made while reading about the various Caminos on this forum and blogs I found.

Except that I had planned a slow one. I’m a lover of stopping and poking around at historical sites and also a sketcher, who would NEED (ha!) to stop and draw things. So I think my Camino Frances might take more like 45 (or more) days. I’m lucky that I have a lot of flexibility in my life. And lots of airline miles to flexibly fly with from using the same airline credit card for years.

Two years ago before I canceled my flight on March 1, 2020, I was assuming I would spend about €250 - 300 a week, when I was walking.

It seems some people are still walking within that budget, which is encouraging. Others think that just a little more will do. And others think that I better double that.

My real question was whether inflationary pressures over this winter and early spring would push up the prices even higher. And of course there is no real answer to this. Too many variables at work. But I think they probably will.

What I got from all the thoughtful posts was that I better plan on the likelihood that it might cost me between $300 and €400 a week walking. And being naturally frugal, I can probably spend less. It’s still a pretty good deal for me. I live in the northeast of the United States which is one of the pricier regions in North America.

I’m basically a starving artist, although I’ve never missed any meals and am unlikely to. So in the scheme of things on this beautiful planet of ours, I’m doing pretty good.

I tend to take very long journeys every few years. I’m actually planning to spend 3 to 5 months in Spain . After I walk the Camino I want to spend time doing some serious sketching and painting in the region to put together a body of work related to the camino.

Originally during that phase I had planned to rent a car and then rent Airbnb’s slightly off the Camino route by the week. We’ll see how that works out. But you can see with the ambitious trip that I’m planning that costs rising could really impact that. But if I do it, I’ll go all out even if I run up debt.

Any of us who are able to go to Spain for a month or two and just walk because we want to, are probably in the top 10% of wealthy people on this planet (I don’t necessarily mean the country you live in, I mean in the big picture), even if it doesn’t feel that way wherever you live. I find it’s always helpful to remind myself of that, when I feel pinched by money.

And we’ll see what the Covid-gorilla decides to do, and whether God will be laughing at my plans.

[Edit: Globally it seems like the top 10% are people making more than $35,000 a year annually. Most years of my life and (certainly not recently ) I wouldn’t have qualified for that, so I guess I’m not a top 10%er. If you’re only looking at the US the Top 10% makes $158,000 a year. That’s only a dream for me. And of course those figures are fraught with poor information. There’s parts of the world I could live like a king for $35,000. And parts of the world where I would practically be homeless.]

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not sure why you are focussing on Spanish inflation - all countries are seeing an increase - and in the US your home country it is at its highest for 30 years. Assuming your income is going up by the same amount (if you are a pensioner living off stocks and shares it will have gone up significantly more as shares (S&P 500) in US have gone up 27% in last 12 months). You can though expect above inflationary increases in car hire and flights and you may want to check the latest costs compared to your original budget.

I’m actually planning to spend 3 to 5 months in Spain .
FYI, US citizens can only spend 90 days in Spain under the basic visa you obtain when entering the country. If you plan to stay for longer, you’ll have to apply for a different type that qualifies you for the additional time (student, etc).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FYI, US citizens can only spend 90 days in Spain under the basic visa you obtain when entering the country. If you plan to stay for longer, you’ll have to apply for a different type that qualifies you for the additional time (student, etc).
I am a dual US and Italian citizen. I should have mentioned that in my post. Sorry.

Last edited:
I am not sure why you are focussing on Spanish inflation - all countries are seeing an increase - and in the US your home country it is at its highest for 30 years. Assuming your income is going up by the same amount (if you are a pensioner living off stocks and shares it will have gone up significantly more as shares (S&P 500) in US have gone up 27% in last 12 months). You can though expect above inflationary increases in car hire and flights and you may want to check the latest costs compared to your original budget.
I’m a working stiff, not retired, not living off my stock investments. How many people do you think actually do that? Perhaps you? I’m self-employed in the arts and my income has gone down slightly since the pandemic started. A quick glance at US media would show that prices are going up faster than wages are.

I asked a question about Spanish inflation because I'm feeling the affects of inflation locally and we’re talking about Spain on this forum for the most part. And there were several news stories in major US media about inflationary pressures in Europe.

And I also asked questions about inflation because I’m trying to decide whether to change my budget or plans, hmmm? You’re right, car rental prices have gone up significantly. Flight prices have probably gone up because an increase in fuel costs. All the reasons you pointed out why I shouldn’t be asking these questions are actually the reasons why I did ask these questions.

If you can reserve a room or albergue bed in advance you maybe able to limit inflation effect any further. I booked some rooms via booking.com about 6 weeks ago. The prices listed in some towns now are significantly higher.
I agree. Booking my Autumn trip was more expensive in the exact same lodgings as my Spring trip.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And perhaps there is some further explanation needed about what kind of Camino I was planning on.

My plans were for a typical walk, mostly staying in our albergues, sometimes self catering during the day and sometimes lunch at a restaurant. Hopefully dinner at night with fellow walkers I meet. Maybe once a week a room in a hotel where I can really relax and really clean up. Plans I made while reading about the various Caminos on this forum and blogs I found.

Except that I had planned a slow one. I’m a lover of stopping and poking around at historical sites and also a sketcher, who would NEED (ha!) to stop and draw things. So I think my Camino Frances might take more like 45 (or more) days. I’m lucky that I have a lot of flexibility in my life. And lots of airline miles to flexibly fly with from using the same airline credit card for years.

Two years ago before I canceled my flight on March 1, 2020, I was assuming I would spend about €250 - 300 a week, when I was walking.

It seems some people are still walking within that budget, which is encouraging. Others think that just a little more will do. And others think that I better double that.

My real question was whether inflationary pressures over this winter and early spring would push up the prices even higher. And of course there is no real answer to this. Too many variables at work. But I think they probably will.

What I got from all the thoughtful posts was that I better plan on the likelihood that it might cost me between $300 and €400 a week walking. And being naturally frugal, I can probably spend less. It’s still a pretty good deal for me. I live in the northeast of the United States which is one of the pricier regions in North America.

I’m basically a starving artist, although I’ve never missed any meals and am unlikely to. So in the scheme of things on this beautiful planet of ours, I’m doing pretty good.

I tend to take very long journeys every few years. I’m actually planning to spend 3 to 5 months in Spain . After I walk the Camino I want to spend time doing some serious sketching and painting in the region to put together a body of work related to the camino.

Originally during that phase I had planned to rent a car and then rent Airbnb’s slightly off the Camino route by the week. We’ll see how that works out. But you can see with the ambitious trip that I’m planning that costs rising could really impact that. But if I do it, I’ll go all out even if I run up debt.

Any of us who are able to go to Spain for a month or two and just walk because we want to, are probably in the top 10% of wealthy people on this planet (I don’t necessarily mean the country you live in, I mean in the big picture), even if it doesn’t feel that way wherever you live. I find it’s always helpful to remind myself of that, when I feel pinched by money.

And we’ll see what the Covid-gorilla decides to do, and whether God will be laughing at my plans.

[Edit: Globally it seems like the top 10% are people making more than $35,000 a year annually. Most years of my life and (certainly not recently ) I wouldn’t have qualified for that, so I guess I’m not a top 10%er. If you’re only looking at the US the Top 10% makes $158,000 a year. That’s only a dream for me. And of course those figures are fraught with poor information. There’s parts of the world I could live like a king for $35,000. And parts of the world where I would practically be homeless.]
I've been reading this thread and wish you all the best for your Camino and Spain stay. I have a feeling you'll do well and I hope you post a follow up of your travels. You have a great attitude and I hope you don't get too bogged down with the budgeting aspect and uncertainty of our times. I also plan on walking next spring, like you said, Covid and God willing.
All the best and Buen Camino pilgrim artist!

I've been reading this thread and wish you all the best for your Camino and Spain stay. I have a feeling you'll do well and I hope you post a follow up of your travels. You have a great attitude and I hope you don't get too bogged down with the budgeting aspect and uncertainty of our times. I also plan on walking next spring, like you said, Covid and God willing.
All the best and Buen Camino pilgrim artist!
Thank you. I hope it all works out for both of us and you have a wonderful Camino as well. I’ll definitely be posting about my adventures when it happens.

That has been my budget on my last Caminos.

I am able, willing and ready to take it slow for 2-3 months next time, if Corona allows me into Spain without today's hassle...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Curious about what you meant about an emergency exit plan? Are you just talking about Accommodation planning?

I mean a plan B for accommodation as well as a backup plan for getting home in case of emergency.

The backup plan for accommodation can be having some extra money for taking a taxi to the next hotel in case a town is completo, or being able and willing to walk to the next town with another albergue within your budget, or sufficient gear to spend a night in an albergue garden or in front of a church door if everything else fails... or... or... ;-) whatever suits you best, just plan and budget accordingly.

Planning for getting back home in case of emergency (personal health problems, running out of money, family emergency back home...) is probably more complicated for those from overseas. I just make sure I have enough money for taking a train or bus back home at any time (lucky EU citizen).

I've always been more or less poor (for my country's standard) and could still afford a Camino... no need to be rich to walk.

Anyway, whatever you do, Buen Camino. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

The backup plan for accommodation can be having some extra money for taking a taxi to the next hotel in case a town is completo, or being able and willing to walk to the next town with another albergue within your budget, or sufficient gear to spend a night in an albergue garden or in front of a church door if everything else fails... or... or... ;-) whatever suits you best, just plan and budget accordingly.
OK, that makes sense. Well, I’ll be able to pay for emergencies if necessary. And of course have suitable travel insurance. And if Accommodation is impossible, I’ll have a sleeping bag and a poncho that will serve as a ground cover. Probably won’t be very comfortable, but I’ll survive.

I think you didn’t read this thread carefully enough and missed the point. So your rant seems……..pointless to me?

The days of the budget your listing are finished. The consensus of this thread is that next year it’s most likely twice that. Spending 35 or €40 a day would be quite attractive. It’s €70 or more a day that starts to hurt.

I think you’re being unfair to me when I’m simply trying to budget my Camino, as opposed to complaining about costs.

It’s true, though, I never take traditional vacations in my own country, unless it’s something like camping. I can’t afford them.
Sorry, you're right, I didn't reply to the original post. I have just done a quick account of my ride (yes I'm a bicigrino) from Bilbao to Peniche (Sept 2021) and removing travel days from home to Bilbao and from Peniche to home the average figures are €30 for food and €35 for accommodation. However I do not scrimp on meals and accommodation ranges from 7 nights camping (about €10 / night), 2 nights only in albergues all other nights in hotels ranging from €30 to €70 (Lisbon) per night. Food is pretty much a fixed cost but you should be able to spend less on accommodation if you stay in albergues most nights. Next year I hope to ride the CF then the Primitivo to Oviedo, ditching the tent to spend more nights in albergues - I'm hoping it will be cheaper and more fun. Regards Richard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The current huge concern about inflation is being blown out of proportion, imo. Anyone who lived through the late 70's and 80's will remember when inflation was in double digits. Now, with Covid and some countries strict response impacting supply chain and countries flooding their markets with liquidity, we temporarily have 4-6% inflation.

The easy solution to this problem is for everyone to get vaccinated. Covid will be come more manageable and Supply Chain will get back to normal.

There will still be spikes of inflation driven by seasonality issues and weather but these issues are temporary and more controllable.
Good point. We baby-boomers have bad memories of inflation but currently they are talking about 5% which means a 40 euro daily budget becomes a 42 euro daily budget, (or 70 becomes 73.50) so not the end of the world.

Sorry, you're right, I didn't reply to the original post. I have just done a quick account of my ride (yes I'm a bicigrino) from Bilbao to Peniche (Sept 2021) and removing travel days from home to Bilbao and from Peniche to home the average figures are €30 for food and €35 for accommodation. However I do not scrimp on meals and accommodation ranges from 7 nights camping (about €10 / night), 2 nights only in albergues all other nights in hotels ranging from €30 to €70 (Lisbon) per night. Food is pretty much a fixed cost but you should be able to spend less on accommodation if you stay in albergues most nights. Next year I hope to ride the CF then the Primitivo to Oviedo, ditching the tent to spend more nights in albergues - I'm hoping it will be cheaper and more fun. Regards Richard
It’s good to hear that that budget was enough. Maybe it depends more on the person. Happy caminoing!

Stephan worrying about cost (inflation) is like worrying about the weather (rain, snow). A waste of energy, imo.
Worrying about cost and the weather certainly may be a waste of time. Planning for cost and the weather is probably wise. It is wise to bring raingear to Galicia (unless you don't mind getting wet), sunscreen to the Meseta in the summer, winter clothing to a winter Camino. Similarly, having some idea of what a Camino you are about to undertake is likely to cost can be useful so you don't suddenly and unexpectedly find yourself out of funds.

Just remember that another part of wisdom is not being too attached to plans. That's all they are. The circumstances on the day can vary wildly from what is planned and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

€83,-
"Assuming your income is going up by the same amount...." isn't always a safe assumption. I think it has been a while since wages for most have kept up with inflation.

I had a small chuckle when I saw the OP referring to inflation surging.
I lived in Brazil for many years and recall inflation hitting 80% monthly back in 1990

If you can reserve a room or albergue bed in advance you maybe able to limit inflation effect any further.

Reading the OP's initial posting regarding inflation, I am glad I booked all my accomodations for a May 2022 Norte in September 2021.

"Assuming your income is going up by the same amount...." isn't always a safe assumption. I think it has been a while since wages for most have kept up with inflation.
Many of us are in the retired category and will certainly be impacted by inflation.

Allow me a short rant on the subject of prices in Spain.... this country has long been one of the poorer / cheaper regions of Europe while at the same time having a modern infrastructure. Research minimum wages in Andalusia (they are probably a little higher in northern Spain) and you will understand why so many northern Europeans choose to holiday, spend winters or retire here, it is much cheaper and has a better climate than nearly all other European countries. Spain has very few oil & gas resource so has to rely on imports and wind-power, no wonder it is subject to market conditions. Walking the camino(s) perigrinos will pay perhaps €25 / night for dinner bed & b'fast, another €10 for lunch and a €1 or 2 for coffee - to me that's pretty good value. If that's' too much go walking in India, Vietnam or any African country!! How much would a similar hike cost in your country? Rant over, enjoy your time in Spain and don't begrudge spending a few extra Euros / dollars / pounds.
Feel better now!?

€83,-
I booked my April/May Camino for 2021, then had to cancel b/c of COVID, so I then booked for April/May 2022. Prices seemed fairly stable. I recently booked my September/October Camino and honestly, the prices do not seem to have gone up that much except maybe in a few larger cities like Pamplona and Santiago, and that is for hotels, not albergues.

I agree. Booking my Autumn trip was more expensive in the exact same lodgings as my Spring trip.
So THURSDAY this was the case but TODAY I went back through my reservations. Some places had dropped prices just since Thursday and there were places up that I did not see a few days ago. So all in all, prices were about the same - maybe a slight increase in some larger cities.

So THURSDAY this was the case but TODAY I went back through my reservations. Some places had dropped prices just since Thursday and there were places up that I did not see a few days ago. So all in all, prices were about the same - maybe a slight increase in some larger cities.
Good to know. Although we will see what happens in spring. I originally posted this question because I saw an article in the New York Times about how prices were surging in Europe and Paris in particular. Prices of vegetables were doubling.

It’s good to hear that the accommodation pricing aren’t changing that much at this point. I’m still hoping to hear from someone who actually lives in one of the cities in northern Spain to see what the on the street prices are doing.

But as others have pointed out, my worries about inflation are probably about as relevant as worrying about the weather. Who knows!

It doesn’t really matter, unless there’s some crazyiness that would screw up everybody’s life, I’ll probably do it anyway. But because of that uncertainty of COVID-19 I’m unwilling to book anything very far in advance. There’s personal issues in my life that may affect the date I can leave so I’ll just have to wait. And probably pay more because of those uncertainties.

Thanks for the info!

There’s personal issues in my life that may affect the date I can leave so I’ll just have to wait. And probably pay more because of those uncertainties.
Sort them out Stephen and don't worry about ONE single thing that can or will occur on the Camino.
You will live very well on 50 euro a day believe me.
Have a few extra bucks stashed on the debit card and relax and enjoy .
All this correspondence and banter will be gone in the first fog , day of rain , scorching sun or hangover.
Have a safe trip

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Decisions that one makes can also affect the prices of meals and accommodation on camino. I decided before my autumn camino this year to budget for most of my accommodation to be in hostals/hotels. This was because a private room seemed much safer in a time of pandemic, and my inability to walk in the early days of the pandemic gave me more money for my camino budget. Also, I knew that a significant number of albergues had closed because of the pandemic, so there would be many places where hotels had the only beds available. If you are walking in 2022 the covid situation may be the same or worse. It is currently too early to tell. As for travel, some accommodations may reject the unvaccinated, resulting in fewer options. I have not finally decided whether to go on camino this year. If I do decide to go, it will be knowing that I am doing so at a possible and unpredictable risk, and cost. The omicron variant showed up in the news in Canada the day after I reached home the end of November. I went this past year, for two and a half months in Spain, and I am considering going again. If I go, my accommodation budget will allow for doing whatever seems necessary at the time to stay as safe as possible from infection.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.