• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Info about level of dificulty

Romika

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 24/05/2016
Hi there, after having walked the Portuguese in may, my brother wants to have the Camino experience. But there is a big but. He is disabled and can walk short distances. We are thinking 10 km max a day of which he will probably spend half of this in his wheelchair, pushed by me.
I would like to know if there are enough hostels, hotels on the way, and if it is do able. I am 59 and not all that fit myself . I think the tui to SDC is OK but would like to do the ingles. Advice please.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there, after having walked the Portuguese in may, my brother wants to have the Camino experience. But there is a big but. He is disabled and can walk short distances. We are thinking 10 km max a day of which he will probably spend half of this in his wheelchair, pushed by me.
I would like to know if there are enough hostels, hotels on the way, and if it is do able. I am 59 and not all that fit myself . I think the tui to SDC is OK but would like to do the ingles. Advice please.

Hi Romika ,

Seeing your brother can only walk 5k and the other will be you pushing the wheelchair I would not advice the Ingles. There is the possibility to take taxis to and from lodgings yes but there are some very steep hills to tackle. Out of Pontedeume for instance and the walk up to Bruma.
The Portugues is much gentler like you experienced yourself.
And if you are open to the Frances why not from Sarria to Santiago? More crowded indeed but lots of choices for lodgings.

Keep us posted and lots of luck.

PS See you are from Veldhoven : fijne zondag nog :)

Hello, Romika,

I walked Ingles this summer and can second Sabine's opinion. There are enough albergues (not to mention other accommodation possibilities like Casas Rurales, Pensions etc.) to make very short stages. When I was in Santiago before walking Ingles I injured my little toe very badly when walking in flip flops and I had to stay in every possible albergue. So I made it in 8 stages:
- Neda (15,6km) - Pontedeume (16,1km) - Mino (11,1km) - Betanzos (11,9km) - Presedo (14,1km) - Hospital de Bruma (16,3km) - Sigueiro (24,8km) - Santiago (17,3km) = 127,2km. All distances measured with wikiloc. But there is 7.083 m of accumulated uphill and 6,881 m of downhill. Some pretty steep inclines and not all of them suitable for pushing a wheelchair.

Ultreia!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Romika you may find this thread useful. I walked alongside a group of people in wheelchairs who were doing the Camino from Portomarin to SDC. They had people to help them and support vehicles.

None of the last 100km routes are easy, but the Camino Frances has the most infrastructure for short stages. It has some difficult sections for pushing a wheelchair, some of which can be eased by staying on roads, those some of those roads are pretty dangerous! Don't be discouraged, but don't expect anything to be easy.

It is not possible to make shorter stages than @KinkyOne gives using all the possible stopping places on the Inglés. We did shorten the Bruma-Sigueiro stage by returning to Meson do Vento (2011) and turning off (by taxi and return) at Calle de Poulo and staying in Ordes (2015). That gave 9 days walking. I think it would be very hard in your situation. On the Francés it is possible to walk short stages fairly easily. We met a very elderly lady whose shortest day had been 2kms and longest 8kms (due to accommodation). While not personally a fan of the Francés it might just be the best Camino for you and your brother.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
None of the last 100km routes are easy, but the Camino Frances has the most infrastructure for short stages. It has some difficult sections for pushing a wheelchair, some of which can be eased by staying on roads, those some of those roads are pretty dangerous! Don't be discouraged, but don't expect anything to be easy.
Thanks for your info,it does help to get info. We will go research all the routes. But leaning towards the Frances. You will all hear from us how we go

Hi, ditto above comments. Especially from Sabine.
Bless you for being so considerate of your brother. Shows lots about you.

I believe I read a blog by a man in a wheel chair who did the Frances not too long ago? Was interesting.

Doing the Ingles with your brother in a chair and the distances between places (while not too long for most walkers) -- may be too much for you and him in a chair.

But after doing the Frances twice and the Ingles once, I learned never say "cannot" be done. I have seen wagons, wheel chairs, carts, bikes, and more.

Is there a way you could have others assist you in segments of one of the Caminos? Like ask people to sign up on your blog to offer to help you on the way. Be it pushing, carrying extra items etc?

Deep down in my heart I do feel you will get it done for him.

I will be walking the Portuguese this fall and another Camino in the spring. If you and your brother want to join please let me know.

I think it is wonderful of you to think of your brother. Hats off to you. Big hugs for both of you.

Bless you.
Martyseville

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Romika, If you want more information on the Ingles, which indeed can be very steep in places, you may want to read my blog at http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html. I give a pretty good description of the route, with lots of photos. There are taxis available, however, as everyone else comments, there is not a lot of infrastructure, especially on my day three. You would have to do it in small chunks, and prearrange your taxis. But we saw signs all over to call a taxi, on the third day, so if you are determined to do this, most likely you will! Best of luck to you! Ultreia my dear! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you!

When do you hope to do the Ingles Romika? I am planning to do it in October with some friends. I would be willing to help as I'm sure would some others but the Camino Frances is probably more suitable I agree.

Back