• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info about Starting Camino in Barcelona

Time of past OR future Camino
From Braga to Santiago.
I just wanted to share some info for those who want to start their Camino in Barcelona. See http://empresa.gencat.cat/web/.content/20_-_turisme/publicacions/documents/arxius/doc_13378668_1.pdf

There's a variation in the Camino for those who don't want to start at beginning at Port de la Selva. There's two caminos that take you out of the centre of Barcelona ( Plaça Sant Jaume) and the camino is well marked as it takes you to Montserrat. I prefer to take the metro to Mundet (L3) and pick up the yellow arrows near there. It's a short, but beautiful walk from there over the mountain to the Monastery at San Cugat and onwards and eventually upwards to the stunning Monastery at Montserrat. You can do either camino routes in this in 2 or 3 stages.

Pilgrims can also take the English speaking Mass each Sunday at
Parroquia de Maria Reina.
Avinguda d’Esplugues, 103, Barcelona
See website http://www.englishmassbarcelona.com/

I was at the special celebration there on the Day of Santiago and was amazed by the kindness and treatment I received from all there but especially Father John, an american proud of his local parish and who does an excellent mass.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the information...timely as I was contemplating this very thing...Where is Mundet and is this just outside Barcelona? Do you perhaps start here to avoid some city pave industrial walking?Martorell looks a lovely town--are there pilgrim's refugios here and on this way?
And in your experience is it a way taken by pilgrims (to SDC) or those wanting to go specifically to Montserrat? Thanks again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the information...timely as I was contemplating this very thing...Where is Mundet and is this just outside Barcelona? Do you perhaps start here to avoid some city pave industrial walking?Martorell looks a lovely town--are there pilgrim's refugios here and on this way?
And in your experience is it a way taken by pilgrims (to SDC) or those wanting to go specifically to Montserrat? Thanks again.

Mundet Metro is on outskirts of Barcelona see
Mundet
08035 Barcelona

You can walk from Plaça San Juame in centre but it's not marked but from Laberint D'Horta close to Mundet Metro Station you pick up the yellow arrows see
Laberint d'Horta Park
Passeig dels Castanyers, 1, 08035 Barcelona

It's well marked the route I prefer. Walking out of centre is great too as you know Barcelona is a great City with lots of interesting buildings !!

Yes there are refugios/albergues on the Camino Catalan..I'm sure I saw a previous thread with a list..but can't find it now... There's also plenty of cheap hostals/hotels/campsites/airbnb etc.

Your last question is an interesting one. As you know the official Camino starts in Port de La Selva on Costa Brava's coast. It's a route that not many are using although I've seen many French & Catalan pilgrims in Port de la Selva. I think it's got potential as many foreigners arrive in Barcelona then head to Logroño to start their Caminos from there. I meet alot of Spanish pilgrims who like me will do a series of stages then return to carry on where they left off. So yes it's perfect to walk just to Montserrat. Then to head somewhere else. To do all of Camino in one go is not easy but if you've got the time the Camino Catalan ( and it's various alternatives) is very beautiful indeed.

Thank you. This looks like it will be a big help to me (once it is off my smartphone and translated). I'm planning a mid-October to mid-November camino from the beach at Barceloneta to the one in San Sebastián.

Yes a map is a map but your right there's not much info in English but try the website of the Catalan Regional Government..see https://web.gencat.cat/en/temes/turisme/

That sounds like a cunning plan..5 different Caminos Catalan, Aragon, Arles Way, Northern Way & French Way ?

Thank you. This looks like it will be a big help to me (once it is off my smartphone and translated). I'm planning a mid-October to mid-November camino from the beach at Barceloneta to the one in San Sebastián.
Awesome, Rick! I remember you saying you had some plans to walk from Barcelona. I know we will be in that city at the same time...I will be thinking of you and your big adventure while I "cruise" on by. It takes only four weeks to walk all that way...are you walking alone?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes a map is a map but your right there's not much info in English but try the website of the Catalan Regional Government..see https://web.gencat.cat/en/temes/turisme/
Thanks for this. Peg and I and a friend will have about a week in Barcelona and a week elsewhere. This will help determine the elsewhere.
That sounds like a cunning plan..5 different Caminos Catalan, Aragon, Arles Way, Northern Way & French Way ?
6 plus a GR. The goal as determined so far is caminos Barcelona, Catalon (San Juan de la Pena variant), transport to Somport, Aragonese, one day CF in reverse to Pamplona, two days Baztan in reverse to Elizondo, one or two days on the GR11 to Irun and then the Norte to San Sebastián. Followed by transport back to Barcelona to catch my flight home. When/if I get to Pamplona I reevaluate the remaining portion of the trip.

It takes only four weeks to walk all that way...are you walking alone?
Four weeks is about right. I've estimated a distance of 420 miles (675 km) and at the "standard average" of 15 miles per day (25 km) it comes to 28 days.

No Peg this time. She thinks some of the daily distances are too long for her. There aren't as many places to stay and, in November, even less. I'm not expecting to see many pilgrims either.

Thanks for this. Peg and I and a friend will have about a week in Barcelona and a week elsewhere. This will help determine the elsewhere.

6 plus a GR. The goal as determined so far is caminos Barcelona, Catalon (San Juan de la Pena variant), transport to Somport, Aragonese, one day CF in reverse to Pamplona, two days Baztan in reverse to Elizondo, one or two days on the GR11 to Irun and then the Norte to San Sebastián. Followed by transport back to Barcelona to catch my flight home. When/if I get to Pamplona I reevaluate the remaining portion of the trip.

Four weeks is about right. I've estimated a distance of 420 miles (675 km) and at the "standard average" of 15 miles per day (25 km) it comes to 28 days.

No Peg this time. She thinks some of the daily distances are too long for her. There aren't as many places to stay and, in November, even less. I'm not expecting to see many pilgrims either.
Wow, Rick, this is quite impressive with "changing it up" so much as you go! I will be following you with interest...especially as you are one of my special "Not serious" buddies. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
What about Girona (to Montserrat or Barcelona), Catalan (to Pina de Ebro), Ebro (to Gallur), Castellano Aragones (to Sto.Domingo de Silos), Lana (to Burgos), Frances (to Ponferrada), Invierno (to A Laxe), Sanabres - 8 Caminos :D
Or even more (10) if you walk from Astorga in reverse to Zamora on VdlP, pick up the VdlP Portugues (to Verin), veer off to Portugal Interior (to Laza) and then Sanabres. That surely is a COMBO ;)

Definitely something I want to do someday after I'll walk each of them separately.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mundet is the name of a Metro station still within Barcelona, but on the outer edge. By taking the metro there from the city's centre you would miss about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of urban walking (not industrial). The Camino continues from Montserrat and it is indeed possible to continue walking to Santiago by eventually joining the Frances route. Elsewhere, on the forum, if you look in the Catalan Camino sub-forum you will see my review of this route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about Girona (to Montserrat or Barcelona), Catalan (to Pina de Ebro), Ebro (to Gallur), Castellano Aragones (to Sto.Domingo de Silos), Lana (to Burgos), Frances (to Ponferrada), Invierno (to A Laxe), Sanabres - 8 Caminos :D
Or even more (10) if you walk from Astorga in reverse to Zamora on VdlP, pick up the VdlP Portugues (to Verin), veer off to Portugal Interior (to Laza) and then Sanabres. That surely is a COMBO ;)

Definitely something I want to do someday after I'll walk each of them separately.

Agreed!! Lots of beautiful stages involved,love to make the time to try them !

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back