• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info for peregrinos over the age of 60

piogaw

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
Renfe, the spanish government national rallway, offers discount to anyone over 60 years of age. All you have to do is to buy a yearly golden age card (pensioner discount card) called tarjeta dorada for 5.15 euro. You can renew this card yearly. This card will entitled you to discount on the renfe lines and also on the cercanias line (suburban trains). The discounts are as follows:

Monday to thursday: 40%

Friday, saturday, sunday and holidays: 25%

On the same subject, i think 4 people travelled together are entitled to 60% discount. The stipulation is that they will have to sit facing each other???

If you need more info, go into the renfe website.

On a different subject, some intercity buses have discounted tickets if you are over 60. If you look older, they will sell you the discounted ticket. It is always worth asking. Ask in spanish, "tienes descuento para jubilados?".

The discounted ticket does save you money.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: Info for pelegrinos over the age of 60

Thanks for this, it adds to our experience on the FEVE railway. On the FEVE over 60s could buy a 'tarjeta azul' for reduced fares. Now that FEVE is run buy RENFE we will have to see if the tarjeta azul is still used for the FEVE or whether like RENFE we will need the tarjeta dorada. We were wondering if there would still be a discount so your info is much appreciated.

Note:- FEVE is the train route along the north coast, but posted here as it may be relevent for pilgrims travelling post Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As an added note, many of the museum and other historical sites that have admission fees also grant discount to senior citizen over 60. Others grant discounts to peregrinos. In some other site like italica, which was pretty much funded by the eu, all eu nationals are admitted free of charge. In other places, native inhabitants from that particular city or town are admitted free of charge.

The Tarjeta Azul is still available to those over 60 and now costs 5 euros. One real change is that you have to provide photocopy evidence of your document (eg. photo page of passport) to obtain the tarjeta. It would have been easy to take a copy with us if we had known this. However in Santander there is a photocopy kiosk on the station which was open when we went to buy our tarjeta.

The Tarjeta Azul currently gives half price travel (on the FEVE only) at any time and is valid until the year end/mid January.

As an added note, many of the museum and other historical sites that have admission fees also grant discount to senior citizen over 60.

Not Seville cathedral, they have a cut off age of 65 and where very snotty with me because I was retired and under 65. I was told to consider myself lucky to have retired, that was considered prize enough. Obviously the lady was very happy in her work!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Burgos cathedral gives pilgrim discount on production of credancial, Leon cathedral gives discount to jubilados but not to pilgrims..... :(

Renfe, the spanish government national rallway, offers discount to anyone over 60 years of age. All you have to do is to buy a yearly golden age card (pensioner discount card) called tarjeta dorada for 5.15 euro. You can renew this card yearly. This card will entitled you to discount on the renfe lines and also on the cercanias line (suburban trains). The discounts are as follows:

Monday to thursday: 40%

Friday, saturday, sunday and holidays: 25%

On the same subject, i think 4 people travelled together are entitled to 60% discount. The stipulation is that they will have to sit facing each other???

If you need more info, go into the renfe website.

On a different subject, some intercity buses have discounted tickets if you are over 60. If you look older, they will sell you the discounted ticket. It is always worth asking. Ask in spanish, "tienes descuento para jubilados?".

The discounted ticket does save you money.

Thanks for your comments, now making lots of notes to self!

Last edited by a moderator:
ALSA bus company has a 'Bus Plus' pass for over 60ss, which gives a significant number of benefits, including up to 40% discounted fares, access to nicer waiting rooms, travel on a later bus if you miss the one you've booked.... etc. But it has to be applied for in advance at http://www.alsa.es/bus-plus/ventajas/ofertas-bus-plus/ and can only be delivered to an address in Spain.

Possibly. I don't know as I haven't yet applied for one. I only found out about it as I was leaving Spain last year and had forgotten about it until I found this thread.
No harm in trying, though ...

Later .... I've just checked, and on the drop-down menu they give a list for 'Country of Birth' which includes countries from all continents - and has a slot for 'other' as well.
A quick look at their Terms & conditions doesn't limit membership to EU citizens, either.
So provided you apply in time and can give an address in spain for the card to be delivered - just go for it!

Last edited:
Jamilla's mum, although I am not yet in that age bracket, but I just want to say thanks to you and others for the investigation and valuable informative advice. Sometimes I despair at the queries on the forum (mainly on the C. Frances sites). I should probably not be so cynical, but sometimes a good google and an avid reading of previous threads on this forum might mitigate some of the stupid questions. A little desire of adventure, a little faith in ones heart, and a whopping great "I know I can do it whatever" is what this pilgrimage is all about.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not Seville cathedral, they have a cut off age of 65 and where very snotty with me because I was retired and under 65. I was told to consider myself lucky to have retired, that was considered prize enough. Obviously the lady was very happy in her work!

Hello Sulu,
Surely you do not want to grow old before your time........................you are still a mere embryo compared to some of us old f__ts. I am always being told it is only a number, problem is it gets larger every year. I live in Wales where you would qualify for a FREE BUS PASS, so move here and teach me Spanish !!!!!!!

The Paradors also have a special "Golden Days" rate for for those over 55. It's still expensive bit you get a 10% discount and 30% off breakfast and that also applies to a younger companion sharing with you. You have to book ahead, but we've found that one day is fine!. Sometimes it can be combined with other offers.

Details here:
http://www.parador.es/en/offers/normal/golden-days-promotion

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back