• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

info on bathrooms in gites

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I have noticed that some gites have private rooms for 2 in addition to rooms that sleep 4 or 6 or whatever. I am finding it somewhat difficult to find out how many bathrooms a particular gite might for the total guests, e.g., do some private rooms have private bathrooms (and how do you find out this info before planning to stay) and/or say, for example, the gite can house a total of 16 guests, and a have a total of two bathrooms, that would be quite different than if they have 3-4 bathrooms for that many guests. Any suggestions on how to find out about the number and availability of bathrooms? Merci.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Assume that they are all shared bathrooms and then be pleasantly surprised if you find the very rare en-suite one at a gite! It happens, but really really NOT often.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for your responses. I don't think I explained myself well. I don't mind sharing bathrooms, as long as there are a reasonable number of bathrooms for the number of pilgrims served. Do people have a general impression of whether there are long waits to use the shared bathrooms? Thanks!

I walked the Le Puy to Cahors this May. With the exception of Pasturat on the Cele variant, I never felt I waited a long time to use facilities. The distance from bed to the facilities might be of concern if you need to get up in the night. Generally, gites had shared bathrooms. Sometimes, if I specifically booked a private room ahead, I had ensuite. This was often true if I booked a chambre d'hote.

Do people have a general impression of whether there are long waits to use the shared bathrooms?
I don't recall seeing any en suite bathrooms on the Le Puy, except in hotels or private gite rooms. The chambre d'hotes had toilet/shower down the hall (often in separate enclosures) in a ratio of about one toilet per room and one shower per two rooms. Gites would have one toilet/shower down the hall per 4-6 people. If it's a larger establishment, with multiple floors, expect toilets/showers on each floor, in a ratio of approx one toilet per 6 and one shower per 8. Since the toilets are very often in separate enclosures from the showers, I don't recall having to wait more than a minute at most for a toilet. So it really hasn't been an issue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed in Gites large and small and never noticed a rivate bathrooms but never remember having a problem when I needed to go.

Walked April/May in France, so not as crowded as other times and never waited for a toilet or shower. However, there are so many variables here that the only true answer I can give is, “depends”!

Bonjour. I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona in August last year. The only time this was a problem was in Ronsevalles where it was fully booked. I was put in a nearby building down from the church. The facilities were extremely poor with one shower for a huge number of people. The shower was very old and did not drain properly. Some gites did not have clothes washing facilities and I found a lot did not provide communal meals.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back