• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info Please: Camino Portugal- routes starting Lagos or from

CDCIP

Hello everyone,

I am very interested in walking the Camino in Portugal starting from LAGOS or from FARO towards Lisbon. Impossible to find info. on the internet. Any one has any info please?

Many thanks

Christine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: INFO PLEASE: Camino Portugal- routes starting LAGOS or from

Hi, Christine,
My impression is that there is little signage, and that there are no real trails/paths, rather it is all on the shoulder of the highway. This may be changing though, with the increased interest in the Caminho Portugues, so what you might do is contact one of the members of the Via Lusitana (the Lisbon based caminho association), who may have more updated information for you.

Their website is http://www.vialusitana.org/

On the right side of the home page there are email addresses with flags corresponding to the languages spoken by the members.

I was once in a Santiago church in a town called Santiago do Cacem, south of Lisbon. Seems pretty clear that the Caminho must have gone through there, but no one working in the church or in the local museum had ever heard of it. That was about 4 or 5 years ago, though, so maybe things have changed.

Report back if you do this walk, please! Bom caminho, Laurie

John n Merrill's book "North to Santiago de Compostela via Fatima'
650 miles from Lagos in the Algarve, through Portugal via Fatima to Santaigo de Compostela. Traces the forgotten medieval pilgrims route via Setebul, Sintra, Mafra, Lisbon, and Oporto. A really stunning walk and pilgrimage, including the loop to Fatima, Portugal's premier pilgrimage centre. Deatils of how to walk it and ammenities.
A5. Wire bound. 220 pages. 160 photographs. 30 maps.

http://www.pilgrimways.co.uk/pages/bake ... les-20.php

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you Laurie and "sillydoll" for your responses. I have already contacted the Lusitana association using the addresses provided on the right hand side, as you kindly indicated Laurie yet no one has responded yet...I have searched the web in french, english, spanish and italian and must admit that I haven't gotten very far. The book written by John Merrill is based on his travels nearly 10 years ago, so I'm not sure how pertinent it is, roads pop up at the speed of lightning these days! However I did find a promising source of info on a french blog- soemone who has traveled this specific path last summer. Still waiting for his response...Anyway, thanks everyone. Should anyone elsoe have other info. it's certainly wecome! Cheers Christine

My friend John walked this route - or should I say, tried to walk this route - two years ago. He started at Lagos but said that there were very few off-road paths, a lot of busy road walking, no dedicated pilgrim accommodation and eventually he hitched a ride to Lisbon and started again from there. He bought John Merill's book as a resource for the first part of the walk and this website for the route from Lisbob:
http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/ you can download a guide for the route from Lisboa to Santiago Click on Caminos - then on Portugese - then on Guía en Portugués [PDF]

Chrislu62 said:
Hello everyone,

I am very interested in walking the Camino in Portugal starting from LAGOS or from FARO towards Lisbon. Impossible to find info. on the internet. Any one has any info please?

Many thanks

Christine

Christine,

I do not know anything about the Camino in Portugal from Lagos to Settubal to Lisbon other than this recent personal coincidence.

Last December after finishing the Camino Frances I continued to Finisterre, per usual, and then walked to the Portuguese border at Tui. This involved going " backward " along the Camino Portuguese from Santiago. To go backward is more complicated than you might think; since this path is hardly well marked, searching for the famous yellow arrows pointing opposite my direction wasn't easy. Viewed backwards the arrows resembled anchors. Thus it all was a bit of a treasure hunt!

At Tui my husband met me with our car and we eventual drove south to Palmela near Settubal.
At the Palmela Pousada high above the sea I was surprised and delighted to find a chapel dedicated to Santiago and said to be built by the Templars. Here are links to a few photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/F ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3 ... directlink

Hopefully you will follow the Camino to this special site and shell.

Good luck with your research!

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
http://confrariadoscaminhos.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 These guys walked from Nisa which is just south of Castelo Branco to Santiago via Braga over a year coming back at weekends to do an Etapa. If you look around the site they left GPS tracks maps and comments, some sections had way marking and others they used local knowledge to go off road.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
http://www.cpisantiago.pt/ This website is already mentioned quite a lot on Portuguese topics but for pilgrims coming from the Algarve this is an option later on, would give pilgrim accommodation and good way marking for the last 300-400km to Santiago

Just checked some of the above links on a computer and they will need to be made to view website version, i used my mobile to create the above threads and the links may need to be tweeked if you are on a full computer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi, Christine,
My impression is that there is little signage, and that there are no real trails/paths, rather it is all on the shoulder of the highway. This may be changing though, with the increased interest in the Caminho Portugues, so what you might do is contact one of the members of the Via Lusitana (the Lisbon based caminho association), who may have more updated information for you.

Their website is http://www.vialusitana.org/

On the right side of the home page there are email addresses with flags corresponding to the languages spoken by the members.

I was once in a Santiago church in a town called Santiago do Cacem, south of Lisbon. Seems pretty clear that the Caminho must have gone through there, but no one working in the church or in the local museum had ever heard of it. That was about 4 or 5 years ago, though, so maybe things have changed.

Report back if you do this walk, please! Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi LAurie:
The changes are occurring, but slowly.
http://www.walkingportugal.com/z_di...santiago_santiagodocacem_grandola_folheto.pdf

Last edited:
I

I have a feeling he has walked long stretches of road south of Santiago do Cacem, I would rather use this route where I can www.rotavicentina.com and maybe later on do what he has done to get to Setubal or go around and use linking trails like this,amsimoes has posted the first part www.walkingportugal.com/z_distritos_portugal/Setubal/Alcacer_do_Sal/ASL_gr11_caminho_de_santiago_grandola_alcacerdosal_folheto.pdf

Hello Mike,

you seem to be quite well informed on the Caminos in Portugal.
I plan to do it all in 2016 from extreme south (Gatwick-Faro then Cabo de San Vicente and heading north).
Have you been there once ?
I am living in South East England, I could call you over the phone ...

Julio

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Julio, thanks but I'm not really that well informed just keep checking in on these routes to see how they are doing in terms of marking, the Faro one does interest me and would be a great way to walk one day, with maybe the Caminho Xacobeo Minoto after Braga into Santiago, but the real points of knowledge and help are the contacts that are given. Keep us informed on your planning it may be that various people on here may have suggestions for various places or alternative routes.

Good Luck.

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back