• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info request about starting point

Which city would you choose as a starting point?

• 1) Alicante: as it it the historically legitimate staring point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) Jumilla: as it would make sense to start the Camino from where you are

• 3) Cartagena*: walking the Camino del Azahar until Pétrola and then join the Sureste

• Total voters

MatteJa

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Camino Francés (from Ponferrada to Finisterre)

06/2016: planning to finish the Camino Francés (from SJPDP to Ponferrada)
Hello, I have decided walking el Camino del Sureste in July (I know, it will be hot :') ). I have read the previous threads and and full of useful information, for that I thank you so much.

I am opening this thread because I am in doubt where is the best place to start, as before walking the Camino, I will work in Jumilla (which is on the Camino del Azahar and really close to Yecla on the Sureste).

I would love to have some feedback from the pilgrim who walked the Camino de Sureste already, i.e. will I miss much if I don't walk the part from Alicante to Yecla? or from Alicante to Pétrola?

*Cartagena is the longest option, it adds 65ish kms to the Camino, but on the bright side, you pass beautiful places (Cartagena, Murcia, Valle de Ricote).

Which one you you advise me?

Thank you very much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
By missing out the Alicante to Yecla bit I don’t think you will be depriving yourself of anything spectacular. The only item of interest in my blog from that stretch is the castle in Sax. Cartagena sounds lovely but I have no knowledge of the route. I tend to be a bit fascinated by ‘doing it right’ so for me it would have to be the start in Alicante!

Thank you very much MikeJS I have read your post thoroughly and is full of useful information. Surely Cartagena is tempting however I am afraid the CAmino del Azahar to Pétrola is not well marked, that is my main concern.

Thank you very much for your opinion!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you very much MikeJS I have read your post thoroughly and is full of useful information. Surely Cartagena is tempting however I am afraid the CAmino del Azahar to Pétrola is not well marked, that is my main concern.

Thank you very much for your opinion!
Some gps tracks for it here https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/find.do?q=CAmino+del+Azahar
and here - http://www.wandermap.net/nl/officia...-del-azahar/#/z8/38.2751143,-1.288147/terrain
thats one excuse out of the way!

Thank you very much Mike! I had downloaded those tracks already, just in case I choose to walk the Azahar at the last minute, thinking about it it shouldn't be hard to follow the arrows.

Problem (anyone can confirm this please?) - I have read that on the Azahar there are not pilgrims albergue and I don't have enough money to stay 1 week in hotels everyday.

Has anyone walked the Azahar recently?

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back