• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

info request: Credential

Daria92

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2017)
Hi everybody!
I'm planning to do the Camino del Norte next summer. I know that I can have the credential before doing the camino (I live in Italy) but is the credential the same for every caminos or there is a particular credential for the Camino del Norte that is different from the Camino Frances?
Thank you in advance,

Daria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The credencial is the same for all the Spanish caminos. Before you begin walking you write in your name, where and when you are starting. You are then free to make your way to Santiago by any route you choose. For instance you might want to leave the "official" waymarked routes for a while or move from one Camino to another. Entirely up to you. Just be sure to get your credencial stamped and dated at least once per day - and at least twice per day once you are in the final 100km to Santiago - if you want to receive a Compostela certificate.

Hi Daria,
Welcome☺
Basically the credentials are the same but the design of them may vary. If you are starting the Norte in Irun you can get a Norte credential at the albergue de peregrinos there, its a nice credential and shows a map of the route also.
I highly recommend staying in this albergue also, a wonderful start to the camino.
take care
Aidan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The credencial is the same for all the Spanish caminos. Before you begin walking you write in your name, where and when you are starting. You are then free to make your way to Santiago by any route you choose. For instance you might want to leave the "official" waymarked routes for a while or move from one Camino to another. Entirely up to you. Just be sure to get your credencial stamped and dated at least once per day - and at least twice per day once you are in the final 100km to Santiago - if you want to receive a Compostela certificate.

Oh thank you so much! :)

Hi Daria,
Welcome☺
Basically the credentials are the same but the design of them may vary. If you are starting the Norte in Irun you can get a Norte credential at the albergue de peregrinos there, its a nice credential and shows a map of the route also.
I highly recommend staying in this albergue also, a wonderful start to the camino.
take care
Aidan

Oh thank you Aidan! Could you tell me if I have to book the credential in advance or if I can go and take it directly?

Oh thank you Aidan! Could you tell me if I have to book the credential in advance or if I can go and take it directly?

The credential is offered at the albergue for a donation, also shells were available when I stayed there. The spirit at the albergue is wonderful! I believe it opens at 4pm.
It is not possible to reserve this albergue,
https://www.facebook.com/albergueirun
Hope this helps

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can buy your credencial from this forum's shop. Free if you also buy a guidebook. That way you don't have to worry about the labergue running out just before you arrive.

Also, not that it matters for the Norte, but there is ome Camino that has its own credencial, and that's the Salvador. It also has its own end of route certificate, the Salvadorena, issued by the Oviedo Cathedral.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.