A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID Information about albergue openings from St Jean to Pamplona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue127

Camino(s) past & future
French Camino in 2020
It's not just what we want (and I really, really want to start!), but the risk that we may, unknowingly pose to an area that has already suffered. It would be madness to put extra stress on the area (especially if there are only 4 beds available after a 31 km, mostly uphill, route march) - I don't think that is what I had in mind when I was thinking about starting out as a mindfulness and wellbeing exercise for myself and any others I may happen to meet.

Mera

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France, Camino del Norte, Camino de Madrid
Camino Porto, Camino Primitivo

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but on Paul Garlands ( Hospitalero on the Camino Zamarano) facebook he just put a link up to San Juan Batistuta in Granon, they have said they will not be opening this summer. They feel because of their responsibilities to the elderly of the parish they do not want to be a risk to them.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (own way; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
a link up to San Juan Batistuta in Granon, they have said they will not be opening this summer. They feel because of their responsibilities to the elderly of the parish they do not want to be a risk to them.
It's worth reading their comments. Here is a Google Translate translation of their announcement on https://www.facebook.com/pg/alberguegranon.larioja/posts/:

To the pilgrims who are thinking of doing the French Camino this summer, we inform you that the parochial albergue of San Juan Bautista in Grañón will remain closed all summer for the time being until October, depending on how the pandemic evolves.​
We are a parish, and for this reason, our priority right now are the older inhabitants of the town of Grañón, they are also the great heroes of this pandemic, those who have suffered the most, and our duty is to protect them and we cannot risk any outbreak nor any contagion. [...] We must not disappoint them.​
We are aware that there is a great thirst and desire to make a pilgrimage, but we want to encourage pilgrims to think before they start walking this summer, not only about the risk they are running, but about the risk and danger that they themselves can put to the older people in the towns, we ask you to think about whether it is worthwhile to make the pilgrimage in these conditions, when the Camino will always be there. If you decide to walk, take all possible precautions.​
We are also aware that there are private albergues and casas rurales in Grañon who have made a strong investment and who need to accommodate pilgrims to pay mortgages and cover expenses. We don't want to be their competition and these businesses are the ones that must survive right now.​
Let us hope we can reopen again and provide the hospitality that we like, not only offering a bed or a sleeping mat, but with a lot of human warmth and a big hug. As the last words written by a pilgrim in the guestbook say: "Without expectations, but with great confidence".​

Last edited:

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
It's worth reading their comments. Here is a Google Translate translation of their announcement on https://www.facebook.com/pg/alberguegranon.larioja/posts/:

To the pilgrims who are thinking of doing the French Camino this summer, we inform you that the parochial albergue of San Juan Bautista in Grañón will remain closed all summer for the time being until October, depending on how the pandemic evolves.​
We are a parish, and for this reason, our priority right now are the older inhabitants of the town of Grañón, they are also the great heroes of this pandemic, those who have suffered the most, and our duty is to protect them and we cannot risk any outbreak nor any contagion. [...] We must not disappoint them.​
We are aware that there is a great thirst and desire to make a pilgrimage, but we want to encourage pilgrims to think before they start walking this summer, not only about the risk they are running, but about the risk and danger that they themselves can put to the older people in the towns, we ask you to think about whether it is worthwhile to make the pilgrimage in these conditions, when the Camino will always be there. If you decide to walk, take all possible precautions.​
We are also aware that there are private albergues and casas rurales in Grañon who have made a strong investment and who need to accommodate pilgrims to pay mortgages and cover expenses. We don't want to be their competition and these businesses are the ones that must survive right now.​
Let us hope we can reopen again and provide the hospitality that we like, not only offering a bed or a sleeping mat, but with a lot of human warmth and a big hug. As the last words written by a pilgrim in the guestbook say: "Without expectations, but with great confidence".​
Thankyou for this post and may, I write that I fully support the decisions made here. The risk to the inhabitants of the villages and towns along the Camino is just to great and I feel that it is very unfair and very uncaring of those who are planning to walk through these villages just at the moment. The Spanish people have suffered huge life losses throughout the entire country, some areas faring worse than others, and, I feel that for us to be so eager to walk the Camino this summer is a great insult to the Spanish - yes, I realise that so many places DO need the income from those on Pilgrimage, but, do you really want to be responsible for yet more deaths?. Just my humble opinion here and not meant in any way to disrespect any members of this forum.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
but we want to encourage pilgrims to think before they start walking this summer, not only about the risk they are running, but about the risk and danger that they themselves can put to the older people in the towns, we ask you to think about whether it is worthwhile to make the pilgrimage in these conditions, when the Camino will always be there.
That lept out and grabbed my heart.
I hope people who are considering a camino later this year really let that in. Risking the health of elders of these small villages with our vacation walks seems almost indecent. Even if it's allowed, that does not mean the decision to open the camino is without risk.

"It's my camino" is a powerful act of kindness and solidarity when it surrenders and offers itself up to "We're all in this together."

LTfit

Veteran Member
That lept out and grabbed my heart.
I hope people who are considering a camino later this year really let that in. Risking the health of elders of these small villages with our vacation walks seems almost indecent. Even if it's allowed, that does not mean the decision to open the camino is without risk.

"It's my camino" is a powerful act of kindness and solidarity when it surrenders and offers itself up to "We're all in this together."
Marina´s post about Grañón is so full of compassion and love. For those who do not know her, Marina is part of the Spanish Federation and is responsible for the hospitaleros who are placed in the parrochial in Grañón. I met her in 2012 when I was there and have since seen her several times at reunions. She is an English teacher by profession but is very involved in all things Camino.

For me the albergue represents all that is good on the Camino Francés and although it pained me to read the post, I understand completely. I hope that all the townspeople and those who walk through or stay in one of their albergues stay safe and healthy. I for one look forward to staying there once again.

Last edited:

4 Eyes

Camino(s) past & future
CF from SJPP 14, VDLP from Seville 15, DN&P from Irun 16, Portuguese from Lisbon 17, CF from SJPP 18
I did not believe in the gov't and their health experts when they said earlier that wearing a mask doesn't help, because I knew they were more concerned about there not being enough masks for the health care professionals. I understood their motivation in telling the fib. I made my own decision and wore a home made cloth mask anyway, because I know wearing a mask helps and yet I agree medical masks should be left to the healthcare and front line workers until we have more than enough to supply them first.
On the issue of reopening, the different gov'ts and their health experts are saying different things, seemingly unrelated to the relative state of affairs on covid in their areas. I don't believe them this time either because many of them are motivated by political considerations which I do not share. I do take into consideration scientific studies, opinions of epidemiologists, the safety of our communities, the state of my own health, and my individual responsibility to society.
I doubt any of us blindly follow whatever gov'ts and their health experts tell us.

Stephan the Painter

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
I did not believe in the gov't and their health experts when they said earlier that wearing a mask doesn't help, because I knew they were more concerned about there not being enough masks for the health care professionals. I understood their motivation in telling the fib. I made my own decision and wore a home made cloth mask anyway, because I know wearing a mask helps and yet I agree medical masks should be left to the healthcare and front line workers until we have more than enough to supply them first.
On the issue of reopening, the different gov'ts and their health experts are saying different things, seemingly unrelated to the relative state of affairs on covid in their areas. I don't believe them this time either because many of them are motivated by political considerations which I do not share. I do take into consideration scientific studies, opinions of epidemiologists, the safety of our communities, the state of my own health, and my individual responsibility to society.
I doubt any of us blindly follow whatever gov'ts and their health experts tell us.
This pandemic really brought it into clarity that One can’t trust your government. There’s too many players involved with different ideas. I was telling people for weeks before my government finally came out and told us that masks were good, that we shoud wear them to protect each other. People treated me like an idiot. One always has to consider your fellow humans first, but I know now that I have to do my own research, apparently even with things that are as straightforward as this.

Of course the Spanish government is going to get a lot of pressure to open up the country quickly to the tourists. And health and safety will only be one of the considerations in their calculation.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have tried to move relevant posts to the camino-specific threads on albergue openings, and will lock this now only to prevent more information being added, which we will then just have to move.

Please post information on albergue closings in these threads:

Francés: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...penings-—-camino-francés-—-summer-2020.67792/

Portugués: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ings-—-caminho-portugués-—-summer-2020.67793/

Norte: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nings-—-camino-del-norte-—-summer-2020.67795/

Primitivo: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nings-—-camino-primitivo-—-summer-2020.67794/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 195 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 321 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock