• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Information about Pieterpad?

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés2004, Portugués,Madrid,Plata, hospi Grado
Has anyone here walked the Pieterpad in the Netherlands? I have found a Dutch-only website, but would really like personal information, recommendations, walking distances...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Has anyone here walked the Pieterpad in the Netherlands? I have found a Dutch-only website, but would really like personal information, recommendations, walking distances...
Is this the same as the Pelgrimspad?
If so, I have a guide book.
Joe and I tried it but found without knowing Dutch, we couldn't find lodging.
That was many years ago -

The website has all the distances and etapas, I daresay it it almost self-explanatory.

But, just in case - Google translations to the rescue:

Pieterpad slynger seg gjennom Nederland i omtrent 500 km. Etappene er vist på kartet fra guidene. Klikk på en scene på kartet eller i tabellen for mer informasjon. Etappene er i gjennomsnitt mellom 15 og 22 km lange og starter og slutter vanligvis på et sted som kan nås med offentlig transport. Du kan selvfølgelig også lage ditt eget sceneoppsett. Informasjonen på scenesidene vil hjelpe deg med dette. Nederst på denne siden finner du to forslag. Har du gjort det veldig annerledes? Send oss en e-post og ruten din kan også vises her.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you don't have another method to translate and are using chrome, right click somewhere on the page and click 'translate to English'.

Haven't walked it myself but looked into it last year and asked around. From what I gather it's quite popular in summer, but most walkers (and cyclists) do it in segments over the course of several weekends.

Don't expect any albergues, most accommodations will be bnbs and campsites, the latter of which may not be open outside of season.

It's well signposted, and there is plenty of information on the website MinaKamina linked. I suspect it would be difficult to be spontaneous with your planning.

If your budget is unlimited, I recommend this website for lodgings:

https://www.wearetravellers.nl/europa/nederland/pieterpad-overnachtingen/

The most attractive Pieterpad overnight stays for all stages at a glance

kasteel-pieterpad-tips-slapen.jpg

Walked it in 2017. The best advice I can give, apart from personal info and recommendations, is to walk it North to South. Amenities such as cafes, restaurants, shops and benches to sit on are more scarce up North, so it is nice to walk towards the stuff that makes life on the road easier.

Should take about three to four weeks if you walk roughly 20 km a day. Camping is a good option to keep costs down. During summer there are plenty of campsites near the route, so bring a tent if you can.

The trail is all in all very accessible by public transport (train and bus stations pretty much every 20 km, so that day- and weekendhikers can easily pick up where they left off) and accommodations are plentiful.

I enjoyed it a lot!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is this the same as the Pelgrimspad?
If so, I have a guide book.
Joe and I tried it but found without knowing Dutch, we couldn't find lodging.
That was many years ago -
No that is another path. I am Dutch and there are quite a few long distance walking paths. The Pieterpad is the most well known. The pilgrimspath is supposed the be the beginning of your pilgrimage if you start from your own home.

No that is another path. I am Dutch and there are quite a few long distance walking paths. The Pieterpad is the most well known. The pilgrimspath is supposed the be the beginning of your pilgrimage if you start from your own home.
And for accomodation. You can join n ‘Vrienden op de fiets’ (bike friends). Locals offer rooms for cyclists and walkers. €25,- euro including breakfast. Membership fee €9,-.

Hello,
I once cycled around most of Holland. I stayed with dozens of wonderful private individuals as a member of 'Frienden Ops de Fiets'. This is approximately 'friends of the bike' and is a network of homes which provide at least bed and maybe breakfast. Hikers are welcome too.

You have to join in order to use the network.

I CANNOT say whether the network is near enough Pieterspad to be useful.

Good luck with your planning.

Ena

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is the book I have. It is written by Jan Gerritsen.

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Heidi, I believe the book I have is the one you might find helpful. Let me know.
The instructions go from Amsterdam to 's-Hertogenbosch through historic towns and villages, polders, and crosses some major rivers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Heidi, I believe the book I have is the one you might find helpful. Let me know.
The instructions go from Amsterdam to 's-Hertogenbosch through historic towns and villages, polders, and crosses some major rivers.

Het Pieterpad is a trail from Pieterburen in the Province of Groningen in the North East of the Netherlands to St Pietersberg in the Province of Limburg in most Southern part of the Netherlands.

Last edited:
I researched this a few years ago but haven't got there yet. If you open the website in the chrome browser it will translate into English. Within the website is lots of useful information and a link to a cycling organisation that you can join who will provide a 'handbook' with contacts for a network of simple accommodation where the hosts provide bed and breakfast for a low fixed rate. As I say this was about five or six years ago so things may have changed a bit; it interested me as it's not a mountainous route which I needed for my bad knees but now I need to wait for replacements so am temporarily grounded. I seem to remember that there are some YouTube videos which will give you ideas of what the route is like.

Good Luck and if you go ahead don't forget to let us know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I researched this a few years ago but haven't got there yet. If you open the website in the chrome browser it will translate into English. Within the website is lots of useful information and a link to a cycling organisation that you can join who will provide a 'handbook' with contacts for a network of simple accommodation where the hosts provide bed and breakfast for a low fixed rate. As I say this was about five or six years ago so things may have changed a bit; it interested me as it's not a mountainous route which I needed for my bad knees but now I need to wait for replacements so am temporarily grounded. I seem to remember that there are some YouTube videos which will give you ideas of what the route is like.

Good Luck and if you go ahead don't forget to let us know.

I seem to remember that there are some YouTube videos which will give you ideas of what the route is like.

Indeed, there are a few 😂 .... quite a few.

I did it in June 2018. It is not a pilgrims walk per se, but it does intersect and share sections with some established/signed routes. There is not much info in english.

I did answer your pm. Walk north to south, join vrenden op de feits. If anyone else is interested, the following is a link to my posted journal.

Hugh

Annie, I would love to see the book - and perhaps plan THAT camino another time. In the future, I will have to think even more about flat walks (bad knee), so it's on my list.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am Dutch and walked the Pieterpad in a few stages. It is a nice walk. It is a totally different experience than a camino for sure; when you do it as s single person. Meeting other people is not that spontaneous, not that many people oon the trail, half of them walking the opposite way. For me it was a quite "lonely" experience; most of the time sleeping in bnb's, eating alone. ( Walking alone I don't mind at all)
It would be usefull to register as a member of "Vrienden op de Fiets" ( friends on bikes) It is an association of people who like making bike- and or hiketours and offer accomodation to people who are walking or biking. Membership costs about10€ a year, you get a book and map of available adresses and access to their website where you can find the details of the accomodations on an interactive map. The costs of staying this year are 25€, including breakfast

108 km walked - we made a detour to the folkmuseum Ellert en Brammert on the last day, and stayed there for so long that we ended up getting a bus instead of walking.

Main impressions: flat. The first days on this walk takes you through very green and very flat landscape. There are also lots and lots of horses, cows and sheep, plus a few other animals here and there - hares, woolly pigs, deer (??), llamas... Signposting is mostly pretty bad, so maps and GPS are essential.

We had some great meals (May is asparagus season), paid a lot more for hotels/B&Bs than in Spain, and I found out that I understand a lot more Dutch than I expected, since outside the cities, people would only talk Dutch to us. I carried out some fairly long conversations by speaking English/German to people who replied in Dutch.

We'll be back, but may reserve this walk for when my knees stop working at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back